Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Borderlands 3 Needs to be a Shared World Shooter - Michael Bitton - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageBorderlands 3 Needs to be a Shared World Shooter - Michael Bitton - MMORPG.com

MMO-lite, loot shooter, shared-world shooter, I don’t really care what you want to label it, but Borderlands 3 needs to follow in the footsteps of games like Destiny and The Division. I spent most of my time in both imagining how much better the whole thing would be if the game I was playing was actually a Borderlands title.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

klash2def

Comments

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    If they did it right, that'd be great.

But that's the hard part, it seems like. Doing it in a way that is fun, profitable and not following downward trends in today's MMOs.

So far, in my eyes, Destiny 2 is nailing it.
  • Drac14Drac14 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    edited September 2017
    I find the loot in Borderlands to be too much. You're constantly getting trash, and so much of it. Destiny's weapons are far more prolific, grounded in lore, and play into specific meta's / roles (especially the exotics). Saying a borderlands style mmo-lite with how their loot system works is "not necessarily balanced" is an understatement. But if there is no PVP it wouldn't matter much I suppose.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    You couldn't be more wrong and its the same line of thinking when people think diablo should be an MMO. If I want to play a game with a shared world I can play destiny 1+2 and division, if I want a game with a world like borderlands I can play borderlands.

I don't want borderlands to be like destiny.
    ToodlesSaltyDog79JemAs666WylfPhoenix_Hawk
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    Weren't they already attempting this as a sidegrade project in China?

Guess it got cancelled though.

http://www.pcgamer.com/borderlands-online-is-no-longer-in-development-and-the-studio-is-closed/
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    I only liked Borderlands 2, and even that got stale relatively soon. I still love Destiny and its expansions, I was so glad when it turned out NOT to be like Borderlands.

Different strokes and all I guess.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Limnic said:

http://www.pcgamer.com/borderlands-online-is-no-longer-in-development-and-the-studio-is-closed/
    Did they ever say what that was supposed to be though? It seems like most of the "Online" versions of games that come out in china like Call of Duty Online, Counter Strike Online are all just generic F2P shooters with skins from the games. 
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    edited September 2017
    Limnic said:

Did they ever say what that was supposed to be though? It seems like most of the "Online" versions of games that come out in china like Call of Duty Online, Counter Strike Online are all just generic F2P shooters with skins from the games. 
    Pretty much that unfortunately. Even the PvE in the game was instanced and arena-based matches apparently.

There's a few demo videos of it still on Youtube.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    It doesn't need to be.

What it does need is personal loot.. cos the free for all loot in multiplayer is absolutely game breaking.
    SaltyDog79wingood
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • urbanmechurbanmech Member UncommonPosts: 200
    No, Borderlands is a great single player experience, leave it at that. 
    SaltyDog79Phoenix_Hawk
  • AnthurAnthur Member UncommonPosts: 961
    Why do you want to turn the Borderland series into a bullet sponge game like Destiny/Division ? Which it will most prabaly become if they add multiplayer.
  • CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257
    Borderlands only in single player. Period.
    SaltyDog79
  • LeetheLeethe Member UncommonPosts: 893
    I cannot state strongly enough how much I disagree. Borderlands should always remain a co-op shooter. Borderscrolls online? No thanks.
    SaltyDog79WylfPhoenix_Hawk

There is NO miracle patch.

95% of what you see in beta won't change by launch.

Hope is not a stategy.

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    Please no.
    SaltyDog79

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• KnaveSkyeKnaveSkye Member UncommonPosts: 137

Anthur said:

Why do you want to turn the Borderland series into a bullet sponge game like Destiny/Division ? Which it will most prabaly become if they add multiplayer.

For your sake, I hope this is just a poor attempt at trolling.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I love the Borderlands IP and the vault hunter angle loans itself to many players sharing a world and chasing the loot.

I literally just fired up Borderlands 2 again after a long lay off and was still in awe at the attention to detail they had to the world, the characters, easter eggs and humor.

Single/Small group play is the centerpiece of the game but I would love to see a spin off title that focused more on the shared community experience in some areas, w/ dynamic events, large boss mechanics. At the least they should increase the max size of groups, and make it open world with way less loading screens.
    sschrupp
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • SaltyDog79SaltyDog79 Member UncommonPosts: 119
    I share the same sentiment as quite a few here.  The Borderlands games are good the way they are.  Sure, they could use a little fine tuning but mods and other editing can usually address that.  Besides as someone else pointed out they already have a multiplayer option for those who want to play with others.

Making Borderlands 3 a shared world shooter would be a mistake.  They'd definitely lose me as a customer.
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

Torval said:

The problem I have with how coop works now in Borderlands is that it is the level and narrative disparity between player characters. With a shared world action shooter the game would be in a persistent state for all players and if they did scaling well could solve the level disparity issue.

I thought they fixed the narrative disparity well from BL2. YOu can join someone who is ahead in the narrative, and it counts as completed out of order even, and if you go back to your game and catch up it gives you the option to skip to the next unfinished mission or do them over. 99.9999999% of games need to do something better with level disparity though. Ok, slight exaggeration, it's only about 99.9993467%
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    No, Borderlands needs to stay as it is; i.e. a single-player / co-op game. It's no accident that Destiny and The Division have such watered down classes and loot, as that is the easy (if not only) way to 'balance' an online persistant game (most MMOs included). And it is precisely because Borderlands is (or can be) fully offline that allows it to have such interesting (and totally un-balanced) classes and loot (not to mention crazy storylines / set pieces).

• HelixhaminHelixhamin Member CommonPosts: 1
    No, no, no NO. Why? I get sick of companies trying to shove "online" down my throat. If I want to play an online, I will play an online. If I want to Borderlands online, I will ask my friends to come join in co-op. This is a horrible idea, and if it was, I would not be picking up the latest version of Borderlands. Love the series, but so many online environments become toxic, and I don't want to have to wait to try to take out a boss until I can get others organized or whatever. Worst.Idea.Ever.
    Phoenix_HawkSaltyDog79
  • jmalminjmalmin Member UncommonPosts: 44
    NO!... just NO! Borderlands should not! follow Destiny 2 and the division where you get to max level in 4 hours! Okey maybe a day. But no Borderlands needs to be as far away from these two days then what it can be. All this game needs is allot of humour, big explosions. more funny stuff, Big guns and Tiny Tina. dont need anything more.
  • RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    Torval said:

Because the coop is really clunky with the level and progress disparities. But even more I'd ask, "Why not improve coop?" That was the whole point of mmorpgs in the first place, to do online together what we were doing in single player. It shouldn't surprise anyone in the thread that mmo gamers are interested in finding better ways to multiplayer.
    I've got no skin in this as i think the Borderlands games are garbage but there are a lot of people who don't agree that "shared world" is an improvement to "coop".  In order for a game to fit into a "shared world" it needs to be designed for that experience, the other Borderlands games weren't. Adding it into the newest one would, I assume, make a lot of people feel like it wasn't really the Borderlands experience that they know and like. 
    [Deleted User]

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    bullshit, why would borderlands need that?
    borderlands is a coop game, which i wanna play with my friends, not with randoms.

they piss me off enough on ranked matches in EVERY other game already.
    "look at me! i r different! i play def chars on offense! whoohoooo!"

yea, bite me, mr different

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• RedMachine72RedMachine72 Member UncommonPosts: 154
    If they make it a little more MMO like and not just single player with multiplayer aspects...I'm in. Ever since I finished BL2 and the whole vaults on many worlds thing came up, I have been hoping for an MMO if done right....but will still get if single player setup and plays more like BL2.

Think about it, level up and go to a different world, different settings and creatures to kill, more vaults to open and more loot to drop and drool over. Throw in an AH like system on each world tailored for that worlds levels only, no taking high level stuff to low level worlds. world level leveling so people cannot blow thru with a high level friend in a low level area. Then there is the endless possibilities with end game raiding on worlds tailored just for those at level cap.

But alas, like most MMOs.....someone will figure a way to screw it up.
  • CapodecinaCapodecina Member UncommonPosts: 30
    I tried Borderlands 2 and The Division. I rather playThe division and Destiny 2 beta on loop than B2. It was boring to me, i didn't enjoy the artwork or the "humor". Before you start the hates, my opinion doesn't make it a bad game just a bad one for me. But omg was i bored with it.
  • Cyber_wastelandCyber_wasteland Member UncommonPosts: 192
    ehhhhhhhh..... Idk man, It seems like it could be ok if done right but I don't really play BL to play with randoms. Plus you can already play with people online you just invite them to your party.
    I have a hard enough time fighting to get loot from my loot hoarding friends don't need to do it with random people in the world lol.

Maybe if they did the cities like a giant HUB for players to hang out show off there rad gear they found or got and put together parties that way then maybe that could work out but a huge open world with people free running that would cause so much irritation. From Kill stealing to loot stealing, chest stealing, constant people hitting you wanting to duel.

If a BL3 does come out which I really hope it freaking does. Full character customization would be great to have instead of picking the class already attached to someone I don't really want to be, like all of the Pre-squeal. Instead you make your guy/gal the way you want them and free form a class would be hella dope lol.
    [Deleted User]