Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Old TSW is way better than SWL.. sorry but thats a fact...

GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
edited September 2017 in Secret World Legends
>> The "new" updated so called "modern" Skill system is horrible
>> 50% of powers and build flexibility just castrated (OMG!) 
>> No loot on Kills is simply de-motivating.. its so stupid to get no loot of kills.. i cant find words for it
>> no more reason to play for players that love to grind and collect loot

The only good thing about SWL is Auto Targeting on HUD honestly...

There is no reason for me to play SWL over TSW 

I think Funcom hit the "kill" button for both versions with SWL since TSW players move to SWL , hate it and never go back.....

Funcoms marketing people and leaders do everything wrong since Anarchy online and Age of Conan...  

Its a pain to watch how they destroy the good work of the Grafic and Story designers over and over again on every game they have..

No Thnx Funcom.... nice you tried but i go back to TSW until you shut it down then move on..
DragnelusGdemamiAzaron_NightbladeExcessionalivenShaighKyleranGorwe[Deleted User]Asm0deusand 5 others.

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    I suggest you find a dictionary and look up the definitions of "Opinion" and "Fact", because it seems like you might have missed what at least one of those means :smiley:
    PsYcHoGBRKyutaSyukoDakeruForgrimmTaneon[Deleted User]ThaneMrMelGibsonGoromhirAsm0deusand 10 others.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429
    TSW was never a great game, but SWL is definitely a step in the wrong direction.
    GoromhirgenclaymoreExcessionpostlarvalsome-clueless-guyGregorMcgregorHarikenTiller
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,003
    I thought the older version was better too. I just thought there was something I was missing because I haven't played it for awhile but yep that's it, took a turn for the worst.
    GoromhirgenclaymoreGregorMcgregor

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    Agreed, no loot drops = why bother buying bank and bag space (especially at those costs). Everything is centered around buying it and this is on a per character basis NOT account.

I just tend to log in do the dailys and log out. go for the quickest route i need to do. Another reason that makes patron a bit obsolete too. Why would i want all that stuff when i wouldnt use it, only a couple of things that are good there really and that's the cache key (but only 1, nah not worth teh cost) and the extra SP/AP and quest coin. But still not worth the £10 a month cost .... Which is as much or slightly more than what the monthly subscription was and you got everything there, now its cut down and rest is purchased from item shop.
    Thx but item shops = bad move, monthly sub was fine at least you knew what the game would cost on a monthly basis. Now they want that as patron and usage of item shop.

Worst was the no loot or same loot given all the way through the game and its quests whether that quest took 1 minute or half an hour to do or so. all the same rewards no differance and mobs dont drop loot except the world boss's and rare's (but these only drop once) and guess what, same loot as doing teh 1st quest you would get in game anyways.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    edited September 2017
    In my opinion Funcom redesigned the game to appeal to people who were not currentlly playing TSW.

They are targeting new customers who want to experience the story without struggling with complex combat and crafting systems.

Of course they provided plenty of opportunities for this new customer base to spend money, the real goal of the redesign which appears to have been successful from their recently record setting quarter results, which is the only "fact" they actually care about.

Po_ggIselinlaseritMrMelGibsonAsm0deuspantaroHatefullwandericaDizisma

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    deniter said:
    TSW was never a great game, but SWL is definitely a step in the wrong direction.
    100% this
    Anarchy online was and always will be the best game Funcom ever made. 
    aRtFuLThinGalivenjfarquesumdumguy1
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    Goromhir said:

>> No loot on Kills is simply de-motivating.. its so stupid to get no loot of kills.. i cant find words for it

erm wow.

Well, I suppose that's your preference. While I think "loot on kills" is fun I also think it's sort of ruined games as they become more about "loot" and less about great game play, great experience, great story telling.

It's that "pat on the back" skinner box whenever you do something. That just seems a bit wrong to my thinking.
    [Deleted User]RexKushmanKyleran[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonpantaroEvilGeekSacrotussumdumguy1JeroKane
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited September 2017
    Kyleran said:
    In my opinion Funcom redesigned the game to appeal to people who were not currentlly playing TSW.
    That's not just your opinion, they've acknowledged it themselves...
    Kyleran said:
    ... which appears to have been successful from their recently record setting quarter results, which is the only "fact" they actually care about.
    That's not correct, or not entirely. I'm sure their cash-grab is working and at least at start they will grab more than what an average month in TSW brought to the table. * But it has nothing to do with the latest report and the record-large income, that quarter is closed at Legends' launch. Legends numbers will be present only in the next quarter's report.

Hariken said:
    100% this
    Anarchy online was and always will be the best game Funcom ever made. 
    That's up to debate, all 3 were great for different reasons :wink: if you only cite the MMOs. And for "best game" in general, that's not even up to debate, that's TLJ. edit: imo, of course :lol:

*edit: the big question is, how long will it generate the money. That's what they at FC also wait eagerly, so they could either start working on the new game in NC, or start working on the - no, not Season 2 yet :lol: - the hinted Agent system.
    sumdumguy1
  • aslan132aslan132 Member UncommonPosts: 619
    theres a whole lot of "opinion" in this thread, which is good to have, but should not be mistaken for "fact" by any stretch of the imagination. 

Personally, I am one of those for whom SWL was designed. I played the original, and hated it. Never touched it again after the first week. But now I play SWL daily, and am still enjoying it quite a lot. Sure its not for everyone, and it never was meant to be. But to state its a worse game than the original as fact is just very shortsighted. I could easily state that SWL is better than the original in every possible way, and to me it is, but I wouldnt presume to announce it as fact.
    genclaymoreEvilGeek
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Actually mobs do drop loot. The named mini-bosses always do the first time you fight them and random drops from all mobs happen after level 15 although it's all locked cash shop chests... which is a different issue.
    MrMelGibsonGoromhirsumdumguy1
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    Now I will present you with alternate facts...

No. Not really. But I had to go there...
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I think the site should do a story on the difference between 'fact' and 'opinion.'. I'm afraid that ppl truly don't understand the difference.  
    SovrathOctagon7711[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonKyleranExcession

I self identify as a monkey.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892
    edited September 2017
    mgilbrtsn said:
    I think the site should do a story on the difference between 'fact' and 'opinion.'. I'm afraid that ppl truly don't understand the difference.  
    They also need to do a refresher on what "Freedom of speech" means as well as teaching some people that "being honest" doesn't mean being able to say anything they want to say.
    Octagon7711mgilbrtsn[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonHatefull
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I like the class stories in TSW and like the combat better in SWL and the lock box keys I get daily.  When I don't have time to play I can just login, get the daily loot and key and use it to level gear and weapons.  I get a lot of lock boxes when I do play so I can make good use of them.  TSW is still available so enjoy.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• forcelimaforcelima Member UncommonPosts: 232
    edited September 2017
    I don't think fact means what you think it means..
    mgilbrtsn[Deleted User]MrMelGibsongenclaymore[Deleted User]Hatefull
  • welcometothedenwelcometotheden Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Played both. I prefer SWL. I was grinding nightmare dungeons when I finally burned out. It took me only 2 months to basically get to the same point it took me several years of drip feed of TSW content. There are numerous accounts of people calling it quits before reaching Egypt, or Transylvania. Although the veterans mastered the gear and wheel builds, it wasn't really new player friendly unless they were willing to put in the time and effort. 

SWL is way easier for people to get into, which means they move through the story in a manner that minimizes hang-ups and burn outs, less convoluted skill building, and allows greater freedom in class determination (I can pick several class builds that are relatively similar to one another, which means I get to play with the pew pew I want, rather than the pew pew I'm required to.)

So, if the main story allows me greater freedom to play how I want to play, and keeps me moving through the story. It keeps my enjoyment of the content up, which keeps me playing. If I'm progressing, and enjoying myself, I am more inclined to drop some coin on buffs, advancements, cosmetics, etc. Ultimately, that's the bottom line - get new players to drop real cash, and get them funneling money into Funcom's coffers. TSW had it's run...it wasn't going anywhere, outside of it's existing player base (give or take some minimal new player interest.) 
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]genclaymore
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2017
    It feels like MMORPGs (Not saying this one is that anymore, just a shared world thing) are honestly just placebos to older players just to snare in newer players. Most mmorpgs follow the similar formula of giving you stuff and slowly raising the floor under you, so you do have "rewards" but they are ultimately useless because super casuals are less than 10% weaker than you with only putting in 10% of the effort. That's never set well with me. Yes power gaps are intimidating and usually cater to no-lifers but honestly there has to be a better way to keep it in tune without giving everyone a bag of goods just for logging in to the game pretty much. The old days of mmorpgs were far far far from perfect but with the right groups, you could help those with less time be relevant by being able to work with them and set events around their schedule then do the hardcore stuff on different days. Relevance to this game though is that they wanted to create a game that made it seem like it had most of the stuff older players liked while making it easier for newer people to jump in and be "competitive"
  • ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    I liked TSW's Quests and the setting, but what had me go even though I loved the game was the lack of community. Cabals were mostly Chat-Warriors, who never showed their face. Then most dungeons were "Trash-Mob followed by Boss" thrown in your face, void of everything you should expect out of an Instance Dungeon. 

I couldn't stand spending 90% of the time in-game alone. 

As a rule, 
    If most of my time is spent alone in an online game, its no better than playing one of the plethora of Single Player games out there with better story than what most MMOs have to offer. 

• QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited September 2017
    I suggest you find a dictionary and look up the definitions of "Opinion" and "Fact", because it seems like you might have missed what at least one of those means :smiley:
    I've just come to interpret the word "fact" as meaning "very strong opinion" when it's used in that context around here lol. I mean, *obviously* it's their opinion.

Pointing out that someone using the word "fact", when they're offering an opinion is kinda like pointing out errors in someone's grammar, or a typo. Sure, they misspelled the word, or poorly phrased something, but we still know what they really meant to say. Similarly, we know what they're offering is just their opinion, however strongly they might state it.

That said, I largely agree with the OP. I prefer TSW over SWL as well. Loved playing TSW and often thought and talked about it a lot, even when not playing. Checked out SWL for a little bit, lost interest and haven't thought about it at all, really, outside of occasionally wondering how it's doing (which I do with any game I've played in the past). Not a fan of the changes they made, nor how they made them. I've ranted about that a number of times already, though, and the horse is fully decomposed by now... so I won't go into it again lol.
    DMKano said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    TSW or SWL are both good games or versions rather. The biggest issue with TSW was it's combat, which honestly was worse than that of Lord of the Rings Online. Despite the combat in LOTRO, I still enjoyed the game. In TSW and even in SWL, I still think the combat is clunky, lifeless and boring.

Outside of combat, TSW / SWL is an amazing game. The quests and story, the puzzles were definitely the main reason people even stuck around.

I understand there may be a lot, but more likely only a few people who don't like the changes. That's because game developers are notorious for overthinking stuff. Instead of just focusing on fixing combat, they made all sorts of changes that really had nothing to do with why people left.

They probably thought, well, if we just fix the combat, that may not be enough to spark the interest of old players to return. So in their boardroom  meeting, someone came up with the bright idea that they should pretend to be doing some massive overhaul of mechanics and game design, as if making a completely new game. In reality, SWL isn't that much different and the combat was not really improved. I chalk this SWL upgrade to the equivalent of a SWG NGE/CU fiasco.

SWL didn't really do as much as they hoped - sure it got the steam numbers from below 100 average CCU to over 1000 but that's still low.

Here you can already see a major decline trend since July steam launch:

if it weren't for Conan Exiles - Funcom would be in deep trouble.

The majority of SWL players probably aren't Steam players though. They launched the game a good month before the Steam launch.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    They didn't fix my major issue with the game...animations and combat.

Somehow Age of Conan has better and more fluid combat with vastly better animations. I'm not sure how, because AoC is a lot older and looks way better. On top of that, AoC has better character models too but that is probably a personal thing.

Instead, they made combat even MORE floaty and there is no impact or anything when you hit the enemy. Combat looks so much worse than it did before, and dunno how they managed to do that
    Dizisma

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

edited September 2017
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    TSW or SWL are both good games or versions rather. The biggest issue with TSW was it's combat, which honestly was worse than that of Lord of the Rings Online. Despite the combat in LOTRO, I still enjoyed the game. In TSW and even in SWL, I still think the combat is clunky, lifeless and boring.

Outside of combat, TSW / SWL is an amazing game. The quests and story, the puzzles were definitely the main reason people even stuck around.

I understand there may be a lot, but more likely only a few people who don't like the changes. That's because game developers are notorious for overthinking stuff. Instead of just focusing on fixing combat, they made all sorts of changes that really had nothing to do with why people left.

They probably thought, well, if we just fix the combat, that may not be enough to spark the interest of old players to return. So in their boardroom  meeting, someone came up with the bright idea that they should pretend to be doing some massive overhaul of mechanics and game design, as if making a completely new game. In reality, SWL isn't that much different and the combat was not really improved. I chalk this SWL upgrade to the equivalent of a SWG NGE/CU fiasco.

SWL didn't really do as much as they hoped - sure it got the steam numbers from below 100 average CCU to over 1000 but that's still low.

Here you can already see a major decline trend since July steam launch:

if it weren't for Conan Exiles - Funcom would be in deep trouble.

The majority of SWL players probably aren't Steam players though. They launched the game a good month before the Steam launch.

Correct - this is not an entire picture by any means - but it can be used a good trending tool.

I can tell you that the decline is not exclusive to steam players - non-steam population has declined at the same rate as well.
    Oh yeah, I figured. I'm part of that decline actually. My motivation to log on to SWL has been very low again recently. I mostly meant their numbers probably aren't as atrocious as the Steam chart alone shows. Plus, their most dedicated players are likely (mostly) part of the other group. I never saw the point of converting my account to a Steam one myself, although a few probably did.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I login daily and there's always others around.  The game ain't empty.
    Azaron_NightbladeAsm0deus

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    While technically it might be correct, they indeed launched with the non-steamy client, if you put that in chronolgy it tells a bit different story :wink:

They wanted to start with a lot of steam, so much that for a while it was even doubted they plan a standalone client at all, and not just going steamy-only like Exiles. Since they only said the steamy-free client will follow somewhere after, no specifics detailed.
    But then they noticed the other launches Gabe has for June and they got the creeps (they said "crowded market conditions" :lol: ), so pushed that back with a month. Which of course caused an issue, since they've said to the investors they will launch on Q2.
    And that's when suddenly, without any explanation, they just dropped in the line that the June launch will use their own client, and only next month comes the steamy launch.

For the ratio of players, nobody has data on that besides FC, but I'm pretty sure (there was a moderate uproar on it), after the steamy launch in July they automatically put everyone who had steamy TSW onto the steamy client, probably just to boost the numbers.
    Torval said:
    They have stated it has performed well beyond their expectations. This last quarter was their best ever.
    It is mentioned a lot around here since the report is out, and I still don't get why :smile:  It's right in the report, so doesn't even need math skills or anything: the best ever 6 months (and not quarter) is Exiles. It has nothing to do with Legends, since it launched at the end of the month, and even from that week 3 days were the early headstart for TSW players.

So it doesn't matter if you examine the 3 or the 6 months, a few days have minimal impact on that. But it is there, in the report too. Sure, it's a fine print under the graph, but you can use the zoom function if needed... :wink: 
    (even help you, if you checked only the presentation which was circulated around the news sites, with the screamy face logo and such, you can find it on page 9. Or, if you like number crunching, you can check the actual report too.)
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • RevofireRevofire Member UncommonPosts: 269
    I played TSW and as all agree here, best story, atmosphere, etc. seen in an MMO really. However there are many gameplay pitfalls that made me fall off the map. I want to return and I think SWL is what will do it.
    [Deleted User]sumdumguy1
    Change your thoughts and you change your world. - Norman Vincent Peale