Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If You Want Pre-Alpha Access, Your Time is Running Short - Dual Universe News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited September 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageIf You Want Pre-Alpha Access, Your Time is Running Short - Dual Universe News

The Dual Universe team is reminding lollygaggers that the time to purchase a Founder Pack or a Lifetime Subscription to the game is running short. These packages will allow players to gain access to pre-alpha and alpha 1 when the time for launch arrives. The final day to purchase one is September 7th, after which the packages will no longer be available.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

ConstantineMerus

Comments

• XingbairongXingbairong Member RarePosts: 927
    From 15 to 7000 euros... Seems like there will be a lot of equality in this game...
    JeroKanePhryvito11qoma
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    There will be a new range of packages on offer before launch, but Novaquark have not indicated when those will start being available, or what they will offer. General consensus is that they will not come with as many DAC (gametime units similar to EVE's PLEX) as the current round.

The current "Gold" package gives access to all testing phases prior to launch AND includes 23 DAC, which can be used for 23 months of game time after launch (or sold to players for ingame cash).
  • DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    i know im old, but i remember way back when companies paid people to test their games. now its the other way around....
    Octagon7711JeroKaneXingbairongPhryStjerneoddwingoodWylfpostlarvalMightyUncleanvito11and 4 others.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    How much do you want to bet that these offers pop up again? This is one marketing trick that I wish would go away. I know it works on weak minded people but I still hate it.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited September 2017
    Lollygaggers... lol. I do wish more games had life time subs. I usually get them because you usually get all kinds of bonuses that build up over time and I love returning to games over the years to play them more.
    SBFord[Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    DrunkWolf said:
    i know im old, but i remember way back when companies paid people to test their games. now its the other way around....

Only in outward appearances. In reality, there is actually more testing going on behind the scenes these days prior to a build being deemed good enough for public consumption. 

Problem with this model is that you get less objective feedback. These days all of your feedback on framework level changes comes from internal testers instead of your alpha pool, and your alpha pool now gets to see a version of the game where the core elements are essentially concrete, or at least VERY difficult and/or time consuming to change. Why? If it's not polished then you get all sorts of backlash.......on an alpha...... This is the only real reason I hate paid alphas. 
    [Deleted User]ConstantineMerus

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    CrazKanuk said:
    DrunkWolf said:

Only in outward appearances. In reality, there is actually more testing going on behind the scenes these days prior to a build being deemed good enough for public consumption. 

Problem with this model is that you get less objective feedback. These days all of your feedback on framework level changes comes from internal testers instead of your alpha pool, and your alpha pool now gets to see a version of the game where the core elements are essentially concrete, or at least VERY difficult and/or time consuming to change. Why? If it's not polished then you get all sorts of backlash.......on an alpha...... This is the only real reason I hate paid alphas. 
    DU's pre-alpha is a "true" version, lol

Only the most basic features will be active: building stuff and flying around.

The rest (mining, PVP, markets, skill training, etc) will come later, in alpha and beyond.
    Phry
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited September 2017
    @Octagon7711 - Thank you for appreciating today's use of "lollygaggers" brought to you by the letter "L". Next I need to find a way to insert "kerfuffle" into an article again soon. ^^
    SpottyGekkoOctagon7711[Deleted User]wingood

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    SBFord said:
    @Octagon7711 - Thank you for appreciating today's use of "lollygaggers" brought to you by the letter "L". Next I need to find a way to insert "kerfuffle" into an article again soon. ^^
    Definitely brought a smile to my face, thanks for that.  :smile:  Not a word one reads everyday.
    [Deleted User]SBFordwingood

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    I was in need to actually read twice the title : PRE-Alpha

5 years later, this kind of dev's will come with something special for their games : NEA = NotEvenAlpha , where you need to pay 20k to only be able to speak on skype about their "Awesome" game.
    StjerneoddWylfvito11PhrySlyLoK

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    Wouldn't want that digital stock to run out ey!
    Phry
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Lollygaggers!! Oh.. Oh.. I always wanted to be one. 
    SBFord
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    edited September 2017
    DrunkWolf said:
    The sad thing is there are people more than willing to keep on doing it.

I'm in the wrong line of business. If I had only known how many gullible people there are out there.

Note to self: To afford my own island...

Step 1: Scrub game forums to determine what nostalgia could possibly motivate disillusioned gamers wearing rose-colored glasses. This should not be difficult. They're everywhere.

Step 2: Crowdfund a "game" based on vague promises culled from my research and use the money to hire clueless developers using a convincing line of bullshit and a promise of riches. Try and hire right after <insert AAA game developer here> lays off staff. Remember to offer 20% less salary. Take advantage of their desperation.

Step 3: Periodically publish videos showing staged pseudo-gameplay based on the fact that they have no idea they're wearing said glasses. Cash flow begins. Like taking candy from a baby.

Step 4: Build a half-assed alpha and front load it with more empty promises. Regularly release updates with minimal features and call them "patches". If my backers are particularly obedient, call them DLCs and charge $30 for each.

Step 5: Copy a shit-ton of assets from the Unity store, re-skin some of them and sell them to backers under the false premise that they are unique and may have significant value in the future. Consider selling my hair or blood as well. Also remember to get a washed-up fantasy writer to author a companion book.

Step 6: Hold a fundraiser each year, claiming that all those amazing vaporware features are "coming soon" and more $$ is needed. Backers will gladly throw more cash my way, no problem. Don't forget to remind my quarry they are an integral part of the development process and "it's their game too". That statement is more addicting than crack and I must remember to use it often.

Step 7: Purchase island with proceeds.

Step 8: Retire to my recently purchased island, and let the morons I hired run the business into the ground.

Step 9: Easily fend off the stragglers who actually get a clue with the "no refunds" policy. Use the idiot lawyer I hired to do the dirty work, if possible. I'm too busy sunbathing on my island.

Step 10: Profit!
    Wylf

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Hurry, this will only be in pre-alpha for another two years!
    WylfPhryxmenty
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    While I am interested in this game, I am no longer doing paid alpha or early access games. Too many times I see them start off meaning well only to become stalled done the road. Hey, if you feel comfortable taking the risk go for it.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    7000 euros? Who do these people think they are? Richard Garriott?

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• WylfWylf Member UncommonPosts: 376
    IceAge said:
    I was in need to actually read twice the title : PRE-Alpha

5 years later, this kind of dev's will come with something special for their games : NEA = NotEvenAlpha , where you need to pay 20k to only be able to speak on skype about their "Awesome" game.
    I agree, actually thought this was a joke. I'm a bit disappointed that this "Pre-Alpha" nonsense is being peddled here.
    Phry
  • Grendizer73Grendizer73 Member UncommonPosts: 71
    lol, one must be crazy to buy a pre-alpaha pack and to be closed in a asylum to buy a life subscription for a game that probably will never be finished. And don't think that they won't sell other packs in the future
    Phry
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Pre Alpha, not really the stage in development where i would be even remotely interested in spending money on a game, also the last chance bit to buy those things, is a bit suspicious, obviously there is no chance of them 'running out' of digital copies, so i am wondering if they have hit some kind of crisis point for funding the game, which would be bad enough if they were in the beta stage of development, but not even a working alpha version? personally i think the 'gamble' is far too risky as the chances of there not even being a game at the end of all this seems to be significant. :o
    Phry said:
    Pre Alpha, not really the stage in development where i would be even remotely interested in spending money on a game, also the last chance bit to buy those things, is a bit suspicious, obviously there is no chance of them 'running out' of digital copies, so i am wondering if they have hit some kind of crisis point for funding the game, which would be bad enough if they were in the beta stage of development, but not even a working alpha version? personally i think the 'gamble' is far too risky as the chances of there not even being a game at the end of all this seems to be significant. :o
    Sorta like a dating site set you up in the prenatal stage. 

"We ain't sure about the sex yet. But you're a liberal, right? Either way you should be fine." 
    Phry

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283

Umm there will be supporter packs after this not as good of value
  • swapnaliswapnali Member CommonPosts: 3
    hello

i am new to this place really more informative palce here i am happy to say this place is really too good thank you  

hello all,

nice place to be here, i see nice comments and nice people as well, i will make it a point to come here more often to read and post comments so people and myself benefit.

Cheers!!!
    swapnali said:
    hello

i am new to this place really more informative palce here i am happy to say this place is really too good thank you  

hello all,

nice place to be here, i see nice comments and nice people as well, i will make it a point to come here more often to read and post comments so people and myself benefit.

Cheers!!!
    Fresh meat! Mwahahahaha >:E
    IceAge

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    I think a lot of people are cynical here
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Raxeon said:
    I think a lot of people are cynical here
    Opinions are varied, but the thing is, we all have them and what you see as being cynical could be viewed as being realistic or something else altogether, as long as peoples opinions are varied then there is nothing particularly to worry about, if we all suddenly are of the same opinion however, then you can be sure its because the subject matter is somewhat akin to being of train wreck proportions. :p