Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Destiny 2 an MMO:Poll

ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
edited September 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Simple question simple answer

Is Destiny 2 an MMO
  1. Is Destiny 2 an MMO262 votes
    1. Yes
      19.08%
    2. No
      80.92%
GdemamimadazzStoneRosesborghive49mgilbrtsnNildenRukushincraftseekerJamesGoblinmrputtsand 1 other.

Comments

• TofkeTofke Member UncommonPosts: 342
    A small hub based game with p2p servers... come on guys let's stay real.
    ScorchienCecropiabartoni33Tuor7[Deleted User]GruugforcelimaVelifaxNildenSignexand 3 others.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I don't believe it's an MMO in the traditional sense.  But a lot of non-mmo games are advertised as such so it's hard to say.  Imo, no it's not.
    Scorchienbartoni33[Deleted User]Thunder073
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    Raids, Dungeons, Quests, Guilds, Dailies, Shared Open World Spaces, Heroics, Custom Avatars, Online Only Experience, Exploration. It shares a lot with traditional MMOs but its def not traditional. I still think its a MMO but a new type of MMO. Where instead of 100 people in a instance you get 20 and then from there you can link up with the people you know directly so it keeps it a personal experience catered to the user.  Its still 1000s of people playing and you could potentially meet them all if you tried to, but its just better curated how you meet up with those people and its in a smaller instance. 

It seems like the only thing holding it back from the old term MMORPG is the AMOUNT of people playing it in a instance so some people don't want to say its "Massive". Games coming out like SC with its 16 player a instance limit are called MMOs but according to that 1 rule its not a MMO I guess.
    JDis25ExcessionJamesGoblinThunder073
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347
    I propose that we compromise on this.  Destiny 2 shall be considered an MMO on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, but not other days of the week.  Also, because which day it is varies by time zone, we shall all agree to use ACST year round, with no daylight saving time conversion.  Incidentally, ACST is an acronym that in some other language means, "a lot of land area where no one actually lives".

Sometimes people say that the sign of a good compromise is that it makes everyone unhappy.  If that's true, then this would be a great compromise proposal.  I've always thought that it was better if it makes everyone happy than everyone unhappy, but that's just me.
    MadFrenchie[Deleted User][Deleted User]mgilbrtsncraftseekermrputtsThunder073
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Quizzical said:
    I propose that we compromise on this.  Destiny 2 shall be considered an MMO on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday, but not other days of the week.  Also, because which day it is varies by time zone, we shall all agree to use ACST year round, with no daylight saving time conversion.  Incidentally, ACST is an acronym that in some other language means, "a lot of land area where no one actually lives".

Sometimes people say that the sign of a good compromise is that it makes everyone unhappy.  If that's true, then this would be a great compromise proposal.  I've always thought that it was better if it makes everyone happy than everyone unhappy, but that's just me.
    Why not use Zulu time instead?
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Its as much an MMO as games that have 6-8 player instances (dungeons). Definitely nothing massively multiplayer about a 6 person (or whatever low number the devs decided) dungeon. So if Destiny isn't an MMO and has the same mechanics, that means those aren't MMOs either.

EVE Online, SWG, Ultima Online...true MMOs. No instances, players all take part in the same world and are all massive. MMOs that rely on tiny groups? Well if Destiny isn't massive, neither are they.
    klash2defExcessionTuor7

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• RhyscoRhysco Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Octagon7711
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Choice 3:
    "This again?"
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]HatefullNyghthowler
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,820
    I'm kind of divided on this. While much of the game is instanced, the open world patrols do provide a multiplayer experience that could be considered a MMO.

The essence of an MMO is the ability to randomly and frequently encounter other players without the need for a lobby, and Destiny's patrols do this. It's just that the rest of the game does not.
    klash2defpantaro
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    My criteria is whether I can meet random strangers while casually playing content and completing quests or objectives. 

I don't consider lobby based games like Diablo, Vindictus, or Kritika MMOs. Meeting people in a town then grouping to actual be able to play with each other in the world is not an MMO. Joining someone's private instance ala Diablo isn't MMO either.

But in Destiny you can see and interact with other players in the game world killing enemies and attempting story/mission objectives. You can then group if you want, but it's not required, but may be useful depending on what events are occuring in the world, or for a chance at completing other group content with better rewards. And so I consider it an MMO in that regard, at least more MMOish than a lot of upcoming games.
    klash2defOzmodan
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/destiny2

Destiny 2 is an action shooter that takes you on an epic journey across the solar system.

GENRE

Action Shooter

ScorchienHeretiqueConstantineMerusMadFrenchieLimniclaseritHatefullMrMelGibsonMaurgrimkjempffand 5 others.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Forgrimm said:

Destiny 2 is an action shooter that takes you on an epic journey across the solar system.

GENRE

Action Shooter

Yea Forgrimm this has been mentioned several times , But oddly enough they refuse to address the fact that the Dev/Publisher do not consider it an MMO..
    ForgrimmMrMelGibsonExcession
  • HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,534
    It's a hub/co-op game. Not a MMO.
    ScorchienMrMelGibsonMadFrenchieExcessionPhryRobsolfGruug
    edited September 2017
    DMKano said:
    Forgrimm said:

GENRE

Action Shooter

But is it an MMO-Action-Shooter? 

Hmmmmmm.....
    ATVI and Bungie do not think so or describe it as one ...

If that helps
    ExcessionDeVoDeVo
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    DMKano said:
    Forgrimm said:

GENRE

Action Shooter

Hmmmmmm.....
    No, because it doesn't include "massively multiplayer" before the "action shooter" designation. Notice how they classify WoW: https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/world-of-warcraft-legion

GENRE

Massively Multiplayer RPG

[Deleted User]Excession
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    most mmo's i dont even consider mmo's destiny isnt even on the same planet! ha!
  • AntiheroDAntiheroD Member UncommonPosts: 43
    It still boogles my mind how so many still don't understand what MMO means or what it is.. 
    its pretty simple.
    MMO: 
    Multi: More then one. grouped or solo in a single shard.
    massive: hundreds or thousands in a single shard. (lobbies do not count. your character or avatar is not there in a lobby.)
    Online:  your character or avatar in the game environment over a live connection to the shard.

just because you can possible meet them all doesn't make it a MMO, multiplayer sure. but not a MMO.
    League of legends, destiny, dota2.. they are not a mmo. you cant have more then a handful of people in a single are on a shard.
    WoW, Eve, lineage 2, EQ, those are MMO's. you can have hundreds of people in a single area on a single shard, logged in to game. 
    yes i know the whole dungeon thing is confusing but that's only part of the game. as their are areas that you can have hundred or more people moving to a single goal able to see and communicate with one another.

questions?
    MaurgrimPinoX
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Torval said:
    Heretique said:
    It's a hub/co-op game. Not a MMO.
    However you need to frame so you can sleep at night. Are you going to play it? If someone calls it one thing and not another will that affect your decision?
    Oh c'mon Torval, your argument is a red herring.  Just because folks aren't going to go out and riot because Trump is President, it doesn't mean everyone agrees he was the best pick or even qualifies for the position.

edited September 2017
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:
    Forgrimm said:

GENRE

Action Shooter

Hmmmmmm.....
    ATVI and Bungie do not think so or describe it as one ...

If that helps

Because their marketing department told them that MMO label would turn more people off and they'd lose money.

If labeling it MMO would lead to more sales - they would have MMO in 48 point font, slapped about 3 times on every web page mentioning Destiny2.

Here:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/technology/why-activision-and-bungie-arent-calling-destiny-an-mmo.html/?a=viewall

yes it's from 2014 and it's about Destiny1 - so obviously Destiny2 is going to stick to the same formula.

They don't want to be associated with MMOs as it would lose them sales - "hey Bob - check out Destiny" - "what is it an MMO, i don't play MMOs" - nah man it's a shooter. "oh cool, i'll buy that"

No , they dont call it one , because they are smart enough to know its not one , and dont want advertise it as something its not..

"hey Bob check out Destiny this new MMO im playing "

Bob " hey this isnt an MMO , its a hub based coop game . i only play MMOs" "im not buying that"

And trust me ATVI knows exactly what they are advertising and the demographic they are targeting .. And its not the MMO market with this one .They havent targeted the MMO market since we scrapped Titan ..

see how that works
    MaurgrimExcession
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Maybe it's a matter of traditional MMO vs Non-traditional MMO.  The term MMO can be broad.  
    TheScavenger

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    This argument essentially stems from the same camp of thought of people who say "Oh you don't like leveling? Then you must not like MMOs!"

Destiny contains WoW style gear progression and really 90% of the WoW experience. The issue is cloning features from WoW isn't what make a game an MMO. Hosting hundreds or thousands of players in the same world makes a game an MMO.
  • AntiheroDAntiheroD Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Maybe it's a matter of traditional MMO vs Non-traditional MMO.  The term MMO can be broad.  
    the term is not broad. its cut and dry...
    It still boogles my mind how so many still don't understand what MMO means or what it is.. 
    its pretty simple.
    MMO: 
    Multi: More then one. grouped or solo in a single shard.
    massive: hundreds or thousands in a single shard. (lobbies do not count. your character or avatar is not there in a lobby.)
    Online:  your character or avatar in the game environment over a live connection to the shard.

just because you can possible meet them all doesn't make it a MMO, multiplayer sure. but not a MMO. 
    League of legends, destiny, dota2.. they are not a mmo. you cant have more then a handful of people in a single are on a shard.
    WoW, Eve, lineage 2, EQ, those are MMO's. you can have hundreds of people in a single area on a single shard, logged in to game. 
    yes i know the whole dungeon thing is confusing but that's only part of the game. as their are areas that you can have hundred or more people moving to a single goal able to see and communicate with one another.

questions?
    Read more at http://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/467916/is-destiny-2-an-mmo-poll#3sev4rEGljHaJX0s.99
    Maurgrim
  • pantaropantaro Member RarePosts: 515
    Eldurian said:
    This argument essentially stems from the same camp of thought of people who say "Oh you don't like leveling? Then you must not like MMOs!"

Destiny contains WoW style gear progression and really 90% of the WoW experience. The issue is cloning features from WoW isn't what make a game an MMO. Hosting hundreds or thousands of players in the same world makes a game an MMO.
    it's funny what you said was my first impression of destiny 1 like o gee it's all the worst parts of a themepark mmo. which is great for some not so much for others,who needs the themepark mmo when you can play destiny or games designed like it and just get right to what you do in a themepark anyway,at least for those who enjoy them.
  • KrynKryn Member UncommonPosts: 172
    The problem is MMO has been hijacked.  This forum is all the proof you need.  In the old traditional sense when the term was created.  Nope, its not an MMO.  Today when even multiplayer Super Mario is called an MMO.  Yes, it is.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited September 2017
    Destiny is an "mmo" in the same way Warframe, GW1, Vindictus, C9, etc etc are mmos. They are all lobby based multiplayer games. The massively part of the name in these games is on the server capacity, not on a persistent world like WoW, EQ etc. So yeah, it is technically still a non persistent mmo.

My two cents.

EDIT: Massively doesn´t imply persistent, its just that... massively. Whether its server side(total capacity) or on a persistent(non instanced) world is irrelevant.
    madazzklash2defMaurgrim[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonExcession