Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

After trying various MMOs - WoW is still the highest quality

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Hariken said:
    I agree, if you want a PvE themepark experience, you can't beat WoW.  Nothing else comes even close to Blizzard's level of polish.  People love to hate it, but its success over the years speaks for itself.
    The fact that its still #1 shows just how crap these other games are. 
    Popularity does not equal quality or Justin Bieber would be better then Mozart.

Yes, Wow was a good game and still is if less so but just because Wow have more subs then another game does not mean the other game is crap.

Some games target smaller groups like Eve but does it well. Other games use different models but do earn an insane amount of money, comparing games like Blade & soul that is the highest netting game in Korea now (which is bloody impressive since Lineage had about 4 million players the last few years and B&S still earn more according to NC softs report they released today) with Wow is close to impossible.

So according to the most successful theory the three best MMOs ever would be Wow, Lineage and B&S (ok, the last might be a stretch since it is rather new). Lineage is more then 5 years older then Wow and still have almost as many subscribers so you could argue that it is equally good unless you don't count Koreans for some reason.

There are other good MMOs out there besides Wow, ESO, GW2 and FF XIV are all good games and so was Everquest which the employees that made Wow played (Kaplan got the job after Morhaime and him became friends since they played in the same raid guild). Without Everquest there would be no Wow so don't tell us it was crap.
    [Deleted User]
  • RockardRockard Member UncommonPosts: 206
    The thing is that WoW is continuously evolving.
    Take questing for example.
    It started out with the traditional billion quests that you forget about immediately after finishing them,and in the past 2 expansions it got modernized with  clearly defined quest lines in each zone,almost 100% phased both in terms of the environment as well as the NPCs.That is more next gen than any of the newer next gen games that can't even phase out  expired versions of story important characters,and spit out versions of the same NPC all over the place.

It still lacks a lot in the combat/animations and multiplayer content department,and to me plays more like a single player game with multiplayer options.There's nothing massive about a 40v40 battle ground or a 25 man raid anymore,and there's very little open world content that gets trivialised by gear and overleveling.

But WoW won't die simply because it keeps reinventing it self,and 99% of it's antagonists are not ambitious or competent enough to advance the genre beyond WoW.
  • strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    WoW better then ESO? Visually uhhh NO, gameplay wise uhhhh NO. Lorewise uhhh NO. 
    ZenJellysubxaero
  • RawynRawyn Member UncommonPosts: 202
    edited December 2017
    I agree, if you want a PvE themepark experience, you can't beat WoW.  Nothing else comes even close to Blizzard's level of polish.  People love to hate it, but its success over the years speaks for itself.
    Its so easy to jump back in and enjoy when you take a few months break or years really. People like to hate on Wow but to me it's the best MMO out there. I try out new MMOs when they come out but nothing keeps me playing past a month or so, I always end up back in Azeroth. Loving Legion 
    Post edited by Rawyn on
  • darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    strykr619 said:
    WoW better then ESO? Visually uhhh NO, gameplay wise uhhhh NO. Lorewise uhhh NO. 
    Well of course thats subjective.  I play both WoW and ESO and from my perspective WoW is definitely more visually appealing than ESO (which I find to be muted and drab).  ESO gameplay is fun but I get bored of it quickly.  WoW being more diverse gameplay wise is better (for me).  Lore wise I think ESO is too overly dark for my tastes, and WoW lore doesnt make any sense to me at all. So both are a loss for me.
    marganculos

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Loke666 said:
    Hariken said:
    The fact that its still #1 shows just how crap these other games are. 
    Popularity does not equal quality or Justin Bieber would be better then Mozart.

Yes, Wow was a good game and still is if less so but just because Wow have more subs then another game does not mean the other game is crap.

Some games target smaller groups like Eve but does it well. Other games use different models but do earn an insane amount of money, comparing games like Blade & soul that is the highest netting game in Korea now (which is bloody impressive since Lineage had about 4 million players the last few years and B&S still earn more according to NC softs report they released today) with Wow is close to impossible.

So according to the most successful theory the three best MMOs ever would be Wow, Lineage and B&S (ok, the last might be a stretch since it is rather new). Lineage is more then 5 years older then Wow and still have almost as many subscribers so you could argue that it is equally good unless you don't count Koreans for some reason.

There are other good MMOs out there besides Wow, ESO, GW2 and FF XIV are all good games and so was Everquest which the employees that made Wow played (Kaplan got the job after Morhaime and him became friends since they played in the same raid guild). Without Everquest there would be no Wow so don't tell us it was crap.
    100% agree here.  Everquest is the poster child of what an MMO should be in my eyes.  It just needs to be updated and modernized.  WoW is a great evolution and regardless of what people, it just not be for everyone.

But not only have MMOs changed, society in general has changed as well and that influences game design. Proliferation of online communications, the popularity of video games going mainstream (challenging if not eclipsing movies as the #1 entertainment medium), and culture of share everything evolved the concept of MMOs from role playing online in a digital world to more of a lobby environment when you jump in for quick rewards and progression.

I feel the reason why a game like Everquest would never be modernized is because not enough people would play it (beyond its niche).  No one wants to work slowly to build something, they want quick action hence we have BDO, Blade and Soul and to a lesser extent GW2 and Wildstar.

Therfore the closest thing I have that is convenient (being a dad and working family man) is WoW, which even with its old age still manages to be fun to log in from day to day with something always for me to do. 

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430
    If you're talking about year 2005 WoW i can agree wholeheartedly, and that's sad really.

This new Legion-WoW, however, is nothing more that Dragon Age Origins in steroids.
  • Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251
    I think Legion Is the best Expantion yet with WoD comin in a close second....
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    Yes WoW and EQ has the most "content", but they are all the same, copy paste generic quests then you go raiding for pixles that really don't mean shit when the next x-pack goes live and you have to do it all over again, sure if you enjoy that, kuddos to you, me I don't want to waste time for pointless pixles.
  • PhaineinPhainein Member UncommonPosts: 24
    "Hey gaiz, I tried 3 other games and none of them are as good as WoW so WoW is still the best."

Tera combat still beats WoW. I just wish I had more friends that play it. At the end of the day that matters to me more than anything. Tera (and games with combat systems like it) combat is engaging. I went back to WoW after playing it and simply couldn't be arsed to auto target. I also like the gothy art style and the way costumes and the store works, since it's not P2W. But even Tera is aging and I doubt we'll see any more major content updates due to the Korean developer selling it.

WoW has a lot of different stuff that appeals to different people (WoW Pokemon for instance). But there's really a huge vacuum of MMOs that are coming out. The problem with too many small time MMOs, while many argue is good because of choice, is that it splits the gaming population and makes them all less successful. All of the MMOs on the development table right now have gimmicks I am leery of. I will probably end up picking up Destiny 2 for PC simply because there's nothing else I'm confident will give me a solid gameplay experience on. I'd love to be wrong about that.
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    As a heads up, since this thread is active again. I actually moved to Elite Dangerous and Ultima Online.

Both games allow you to 100% solo the entire game without relying on groups (UO does need the right character template though). However, despite that, in UO I've done so many social events and have made more friends in a week or two than I made in all of my time in WoW. 

And Elite Dangerous is fun, though in truth haven't fully gotten into it. Even with an xbox one controller, there are so many controls to remember that if I don't play every day, I forget what to do and have to start over to do the tutorial again lol. Eventually I'll actually remember what does what though :P

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    But two friends joined me from WoW stopped playing and both went back to WoW, and I kinda lost any motivation to play.
    When you've played with friends in one game, it's nearly impossible to move by yourself if you're not a self motivated player. It was inevitable that you would go back to WoW.
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2017
    But two friends joined me from WoW stopped playing and both went back to WoW, and I kinda lost any motivation to play.
    When you've played with friends in one game, it's nearly impossible to move by yourself if you're not a self motivated player. It was inevitable that you would go back to WoW.
    For the most part I find it true but honestly it really does depend. Most people I've played with through other games like FFXI and briefly in other f2p titles (Rift probably being the longest f2p title I've played consistently out of the rest) just tend to quit it on their own. It also doesn't help that the game's direction keeps shifting in this placebo way, where they keep raising the floor and lowering the ceiling to make everyone feel of in range of each other.

On a more positive note, WoW does display a lot more polish and degree of forethought compared to its competition (FFXIV included). That's honestly be a driving factor of why I used to go back to the game, even though I might not anymore, due to the lazy type of content I feel they are going to continue to produce. My reference to lazy content being pretty much making a set amount of content and just adding modes to it vs just making different types of content for different skill levels.
  • ShinamiShinami Member UncommonPosts: 825
    I am not a fan of WoW, but I recognize what its existence has done. 

We like to tell people "Put up or Shut up" after being challenged. Blizzard did that and themsome. Not only did they throw a large budget into their game, they kept working on it throughout the years. 

Other developers tried to match up and while some came close, most of them ultimately failed. So it went from "WoW is amazing and new" to "WoW is the reason why the MMO Genre failed" attitude. 

Kind of reminds me of the five tiers of hatred. 
    Of course there is a jealousy everywhere too..

Blizzard has this Subscription Based MMO that still makes money and sells expansions and everyone is angry that they can't duplicate WoW's success. 

A shining example that when push comes to shove, Americans are capable of getting their act together and releasing a product that can challenge the rest of the world's offerings to the point that now the rest of the world takes stabs at it while simultaneously trying to clone the success of the game, with utter failure..

I in particular do not like the game. 
    However, I respect its success and how it forced every other loser of a game out there to go F2P, which was the equivalent to waving a giant white flag that sent the message of "We surrender, but please play our games anyway!" 

Its up to everyone to beat out Blizzard, 
    and what Blizzard has proven is that in its existence...

Instead of coming up with original ideas,
    other developers just try making their generic games rather than make anything meaningful. 

For every one decent to good game that comes out, we have like what... 5 - 10 games that are absolute and utter nonsense! :P This coming from a company that developed a game with a poor launch, but cleaned up its act... proof that some mistakes are forgiven and its not just merciless crap. 
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Funny thing is I started playing SWG while I waiting for WoW back in 2003. Guess I fell in love with the wrong game. After WoW helped kill SWG I had nothing better to do so I bought it, played it, leveled a few characters. It felt restrictive like I was in a smaller box and it just seemed wrong, like I was like sleeping with the enemy, so I uninstalled and never went back.  These days I play themepark MMOs like GW2, ESO ect, but never again will I touch that dirty game called World of Warcraft. xD

pantaro
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Tiller said:
    Funny thing is I started playing SWG while I waiting for WoW back in 2003. Guess I fell in love with the wrong game. After WoW helped kill SWG I had nothing better to do so I bought it, played it, leveled a few characters. It felt restrictive like I was in a smaller box and it just seemed wrong, like I was like sleeping with the enemy, so I uninstalled and never went back.  These days I play themepark MMOs like GW2, ESO ect, but never again will I touch that dirty game called World of Warcraft. xD

You know what killed SWG?  SWG killed SWG.  People love to wax nostalgic about it, but all in all, other than the social aspect, it was a pretty buggy, laggy, poor game.  I know, I was there for a lot of it.  If it was as great as people like to remember, it might still be around today.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    100% agree here.  Everquest is the poster child of what an MMO should be in my eyes.  It just needs to be updated and modernized.  WoW is a great evolution and regardless of what people, it just not be for everyone.

But not only have MMOs changed, society in general has changed as well and that influences game design. Proliferation of online communications, the popularity of video games going mainstream (challenging if not eclipsing movies as the #1 entertainment medium), and culture of share everything evolved the concept of MMOs from role playing online in a digital world to more of a lobby environment when you jump in for quick rewards and progression.

I feel the reason why a game like Everquest would never be modernized is because not enough people would play it (beyond its niche).  No one wants to work slowly to build something, they want quick action hence we have BDO, Blade and Soul and to a lesser extent GW2 and Wildstar.

Therfore the closest thing I have that is convenient (being a dad and working family man) is WoW, which even with its old age still manages to be fun to log in from day to day with something always for me to do. 
    Well, I think you are a bit too nostalgic there. EQ was an amazing game and there are certainly parts of it that would still work today but not all things were that great.

Now, remove the boring quests (while EQ had some brilliant ones it certainly had more then it's share of tedious crap quests), add in some DEs. Total makeover of the crafting (it was rather boring) and we might be getting somewhere.

My point is that when you facelift the game you might as well improve the things less brilliant. Keep the difficulty and leveling speed though, frankly if you put the same difficulty and leveling speed in any of the quick action games you mentioned they would be rather oldschool.

Personally do I think Wow feel far quicker then any game you mentioned but I guess that is just a personal preference, I plan to get my oldschool feeling in Pantheon when it goes live.
  • luclinraiderluclinraider Member UncommonPosts: 96
    The problem with WoW is how easy it is.

If you have like 2 hours a week to play games...such as working parents, then it's ok. But even in that situation I think other MMO's are better like GW2 because you dont have to pay a monthly fee to play 8 hours a month.

For dedicated players, you finish all of WoW's content in 2 weeks max.

I came back for this last expansion, hit max level in 2 days, had full epics with weapons mostly unlocked by the 1 week mark, and had cleared the raids by the 2 week mark........guess I'm done.

I remember in Vanilla WoW and BC....it took a long time to finish off the PvE content...now it's just too easy.

GW2 has plenty of long term goals such as legendary gear, and I found their raids to be more mechanical than WoW which was more about the gear treadmill. 

Also, if you're feeling old school, EQ1 and EQ2 have really strong PvE content with tons of Lore behind it.

Sorry, but WoW's PvE leaves a lot to be desired.
  • borghive49borghive49 Member RarePosts: 493
    I guess people who played MMOs in 2005 didn't have jobs, school or a social life lol. I never understood why Blizzard had this mindset of streamlining their game into the dull piece of crap it is today in order to cater to people who really don't like MMOs. 
    [Deleted User]marganculos
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Wow was the little sister to EQ2.Wow=no housing
    EQ2 great housing and lots of crafting for housing
    Eq2 first had the AA's and item discoveries,all ideas Blizzard wanted or tried to COPY.
    Wow had way bigger numbers at all times,both games started basically the same time.This means with so many in Wow the majority never even tried EQ2 to know better,so no an opinion but FACT,Wow was simply a bigger success based on NON gaming factors like luck,marketing perhaps even their selfish gaming platform that to this day is just there to advertise even more games.
    While people were supporting that selfish Battle.net myself and others more fortunate were gaming on Heat.net a versatile platform that allowed us to play various games and even host our own private server as well giving away daily prizes.

So yeah,i was actually there unlike most others,Blizzard and Wow were highly over rated by their own massive marketing and buying up positive reviews before the FTC started clamping down on illegal marketing tactics.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    World of Warcraft at one point was the best themepark MMO ever created.  Now?  Not so much.  It's degraded into a loot pinata that a mentally-challenged child could excel at while one had was tied behind their back.  There's no challenge left if you're not at the highest levels of play.  But at one time, it was the best.

I agree, it's much too easy and fast now.  The majority of loot means virtually nothing.  Other players mean nothing.  At least to the average player.  Still, the journey through the PvE story is excellent.  They've only gotten better at that aspect.
  • penandpaperpenandpaper Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Tbh, didn't read through every post; stopped mid 2nd page.
    But, I am curious what single-player games you tried, and why you stopped?  I do not think there is anyone that can argue Skyrim, The Witcher 3, or DAI isn't better in the graphics, gameplay, and storyline than any MMO out there.  So what drew you back?  Comradery? Ability to play with minimal thought?  
    Just curious. 

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    As a heads up, since this thread is active again. I actually moved to Elite Dangerous and Ultima Online.

Both games allow you to 100% solo the entire game without relying on groups (UO does need the right character template though). However, despite that, in UO I've done so many social events and have made more friends in a week or two than I made in all of my time in WoW. 

And Elite Dangerous is fun, though in truth haven't fully gotten into it. Even with an xbox one controller, there are so many controls to remember that if I don't play every day, I forget what to do and have to start over to do the tutorial again lol. Eventually I'll actually remember what does what though :P
    in case people missed it. It was randomly on page 2 in the middle. 

I've been having a lot better time in UO, and having fun trying to (and failing) at figuring out Elite Dangerous controls lol. I don't play Elite every day, more like 1-2 times a week so by the time I play again already forgot what the controls were lol. Would never want to do it mouse/keyboard lol. The xbox one controls are hard enough in ED :pensive:

UO is pretty fun though, I've been having a really good time with that.

And to add some new content instead of just the quote

Been having tons of fun in Starbound, Skyrim (though waiting for Legacy of the Dragonborn to get out of beta for special edition and going to start a new game), starcraft 2 and civilization 5. So I branched out a lot instead of just MMOs.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Artistically I'd give GW2 the edge.  I'd give SWTOR the edge in the leveling story.  I haven't PVP'd in a long time but I'm not sure who does a better job than WOW these days.

WOW wins in totality by a large margin though.  They did an amazing job of creating a solid foundation that appeals to various crowds.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Artistically I'd give GW2 the edge.  I'd give SWTOR the edge in the leveling story.  I haven't PVP'd in a long time but I'm not sure who does a better job than WOW these days.

WOW wins in totality by a large margin though.  They did an amazing job of creating a solid foundation that appeals to various crowds.

Hated gw2 so wow is better than gw2 for me.  swtor was fun but after 13 months of beta....

City of Heroes is still my favorite and there was story to the missions but not amazing.

The most RPG quest  that felt great was wow alliance side ony attunement where you walked through stormwind.  Here is a video of someone else doing it: 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"