Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Blog Explores the Joy of Movement on Mounts - Guild Wars 2 - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageNew Blog Explores the Joy of Movement on Mounts - Guild Wars 2 - MMORPG.com

Guild Wars 2 News - Mounts are one of the cornerstones of the next Guild Wars 2 expansion, Path of Fire. In a new blog post on the official site, Roy Cronacher, one of the mounts team members, spotlights how mounts aren't just a cosmetic speed boost, but are a "visceral, organic experience that feels like you're riding a real animal".

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    its sad when a side feature from other mmos is dished as main meal.
    GreyhavenMicro_Cuts
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768

exile01 said:

It sounds like they are going a bit more in depth with mounts than games normally would. I wouldn't say it's a side feature either, usually mounts are a pretty big part of a game, and can effect quite a bit. When flying was added to WoW it was a HUGE deal, same thing with FFXIV. Just any form of change to movement will effect how some aspects of the game feel.
  • JunglecharlyJunglecharly Member UncommonPosts: 167
    Are they seriously talking about mounts? More , tell me more. Do they move fast? They have tails? Do they growl? Can i park em? Can i name them? Can i mate them? Can i ... Piss off
    ViterzgirMicro_Cuts
  • RadooRadoo Member UncommonPosts: 298
    So, I'm not one interested in mounts and I don't give a rat's butt about them. How will A.Net implement them in regards to movement sigils and how will moving around differ between using a mount and not using one. I don't plan to use one...now what?
  • bohrium924bohrium924 Member UncommonPosts: 23
    "visceral, organic cash shop experience"

fixt
    Greyhaven
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167
    So much hostility over mounts in a game. Play the game or don't. Some of you guys wouldn't be happy unless we were forced to go back to the times of pen, paper and dice. Why are you folks even here?
    SBFordgrimal
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Tiller said:
    So much hostility over mounts in a game. Play the game or don't. Some of you guys wouldn't be happy unless we were forced to go back to the times of pen, paper and dice. Why are you folks even here?
    I'm sort of taken aback at the comments as well. I think the idea of mounts is a good one and this team seems to have a vested interest in making them more interesting than, for instance, WoW's version. It's a good addition to the game if there are at least equal numbers of mounts added later that can be earned in-game and in the cash shop. 

Quizar1973grimal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Quizar1973Quizar1973 Member UncommonPosts: 251

Tiller said:

Damn...I love the Pen, Paper, And Dice times...LOL....Thanks for the hit on us old guys...Jees...LOL
    No one shall Rent space in my head!!!!!  B)
  • APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543

exile01 said:

Mounts have never existed in the entire Guild Wars franchise since it first launched in 2005. Thats over 13 years! So of course they are gonna highlight it. And why not?

There have been people within the community that have been asking/ wanting this feature for years, and now its coming in as not only a form of travel but also an added mechanic to help players get around obstacles players wouldn't normally be able to get around on their own.
    Quizar1973EileyAI724

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
     I'm not happy to see mounts in GW2.  I do have hopes the rest of this expansion will be exciting. 
    mazutEiley
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

exile01 said:

It sounds like they are going a bit more in depth with mounts than games normally would. I wouldn't say it's a side feature either, usually mounts are a pretty big part of a game, and can effect quite a bit. When flying was added to WoW it was a HUGE deal, same thing with FFXIV. Just any form of change to movement will effect how some aspects of the game feel.

BDO has mount breeding. WoW has flying mounts. Riders of Icarus I can tame many animals in the wild and do a lot of fighting and questing while mounted. I like what GW2 is doing with mounts and I look forward to getting mine but I think they're playing catch up compared to a lot MMOs that have had mounts for awhile. Interesting to see if they have underwater mounts one day as well as legendary mounts.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    edited August 2017
    (earlier) we dont need mounts in gw2!
    (now) we will sell them as addon instead!

:)
    EileyMicro_Cuts

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• kalcakalca Member UncommonPosts: 47

APThug said:

exile01 said:

Mounts have never existed in the entire Guild Wars franchise since it first launched in 2005. Thats over 13 years! So of course they are gonna highlight it. And why not?

There have been people within the community that have been asking/ wanting this feature for years, and now its coming in as not only a form of travel but also an added mechanic to help players get around obstacles players wouldn't normally be able to get around on their own.

hes just sad troll as always just ignore him like everyone else :D
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,167

Tiller said:

Damn...I love the Pen, Paper, And Dice times...LOL....Thanks for the hit on us old guys...Jees...LOL
    lol. I do as well, I used really be into Rifts back in the day.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    edited August 2017
    exile01 said:
    Really reaching to the bottom of the barrel for criticism aren't you?

Go on. Name one MMO with a comparable mount system. From where I'm standing, the competition has been satisfied with mounts as a movement speed buff or flight mechanic. Guild Wars 2 has raised the bar by making each mount distinct in function and purpose. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Some very cool ideas here for the different abilities these mounts have. And mounted combat? What's not to like.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AI724AI724 Member UncommonPosts: 249

APThug said:

exile01 said:

Mounts is what is making me buy this expansion! I have always wanted mounts in GW. I stopped playing GW2 with the release of the first expansion but when this second expansion is released I will buy the package that contains both expansions!!. If they make the secondary profession like in GW1 in the near future that would be a dream come true for me!!!