Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Crowfall's $7,000 Castle

Comments

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701
    hfztt said:
    Look under Guild Strongholds.  The most expensive one is an Imperial Castle for $7,000.  That's some SotA-level shit.  And if I'm not mistaken, it's not just cosmetic.  Sorry, since the forum update, pressing enter does not advance me to the next line.  https://crowfall.com/en/store/#store-item-detail-popup

Only $7000 ??!?

Thats nothing... Star Citizen has that one beat.
    cash grabs.

sad really, some people hate their money enough to pay this.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    edited August 2017
    Geezes! I just saw the prices from https://crowfall.com/en/store/#store-item-detail-popup

Are you fucking kidding me?! This makes Star Citizen looks like a little girl wearing pink sneakers , while Crowfall is wearing diamond sneakers!

And my favorite : Note: package still in development. All pieces will be painted prior to launch!

At least in SC, you can actually play the pixels ( if I am not wrong ) , while here all you have is a paint and some text. 

Well , I hope the game will stand up with the name : CrowFALL

EDIT: @hfztt shows me that actually, SC is wearing the diamond sneakers! My bad :) Everything else stands.

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    IceAge said:
    Geezes! I just saw the prices from https://crowfall.com/en/store/#store-item-detail-popup

Are you fucking kidding me?! This makes Star Citizen looks like a little girl wearing pink sneakers , while Crowfall is wearing diamond sneakers!

And my favorite : Note: package still in development. All pieces will be painted prior to launch!

At least in SC, you can actually play the pixels ( if I am not wrong ) , while here all you have is a paint and some text. 

Well , I hope the game will stand up with the name : CrowFALL

EDIT: @hfztt shows me that actually, SC is wearing the diamond sneakers! My bad :) Everything else stands.
    Don't you mean Crowfail?

I'm just kidding, I have high hopes for this game and look forward to pay...playing.
    IceAgeJamesGoblin
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Yes, not dropping 7k on a digital castle is obviously a sign that someone is broke.
    May we assume you forgot to add a sarcasm indicator?  Otherwise some people who play these games don't earn 6 figure or higher incomes or have no sense.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    The general rule is that you charge what the market can bare.  I won't buy a 7k castle but if someone else wants to then good for them. Other games charge 15k, 10k, for digital rental rights and people pay.  I hope it's worth it for them.
    KyleranJamesGoblin

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Jamar870 said:
    Yes, not dropping 7k on a digital castle is obviously a sign that someone is broke.
    May we assume you forgot to add a sarcasm indicator?  Otherwise some people who play these games don't earn 6 figure or higher incomes or have no sense.
    I was hoping my wording was clear enough without it.  But yes, it was definitely sarcasm.  :p

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    DrunkWolf said:
    hfztt said:
    Look under Guild Strongholds.  The most expensive one is an Imperial Castle for $7,000.  That's some SotA-level shit.  And if I'm not mistaken, it's not just cosmetic.  Sorry, since the forum update, pressing enter does not advance me to the next line.  https://crowfall.com/en/store/#store-item-detail-popup

Only $7000 ??!?

Thats nothing... Star Citizen has that one beat.
    cash grabs.

sad really, some people hate their money enough to pay this.
    I would once again say that "you aren't the demographic they are catering to".

For some reason players think that every game has to be x, y and z, has to have x, y and z and of course is made for everyone.

As far as hating their money, hardly so. It's just that you aren't in the crowd that spends thousands every week "because they can and they want to".

There are people who have salaries well into 6 figures, it's very possible that they don't spend money on certain things but love other things and therefore spending their money on this type of entertainment, on an experience, is right up their alley.

It's not "my" thing but as long as they are taking care of their bills/savings/retirement/family, etc then I don't see an issue.
    KyleranJamesGoblin
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    The general rule is that you charge what the market can bare.  I won't buy a 7k castle but if someone else wants to then good for them. Other games charge 15k, 10k, for digital rental rights and people pay.  I hope it's worth it for them.
    For the love of games, it's wrong man! Is so fucking wrong. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?

IceAge said:
    Only if you think that every video game has to be made for the every man.

I'm going to assume that you also think multi million dollar mansions, luxury/sports cars, fine suits and high end jewelry are all wrong (among other things). Perfectly fine if you do.
    JamesGoblin

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    If you're willing to lay down 7k, I can accept that you get a few perks.  It's too rich for my blood, but more power to you.
    JamesGoblin

I self identify as a monkey.

Sovrath said:
    IceAge said:

I'm going to assume that you also think multi million dollar mansions, luxury/sports cars, fine suits and high end jewelry are all wrong (among other things). Perfectly fine if you do.
    Sovrath said:
    IceAge said:

I don't necessarily disagree with the logic Sov, but I've made the point elsewhere: one of the keynotes of video gaming, specifically multiplayer gaming, is that folks are not stratified based upon real life socioeconomic status.

With crowdfunding and F2P, that's beginning to creep into the genre.  Considering the "class warfare" that continues to rage within the U.S., I think there's strong, logical reasoning behind not wanting to see it included in such a hobaby that, traditionally, avoided such detriments.
    JamesGoblinCogohi

edited August 2017
    Sovrath said:
    IceAge said:

You are comparing real life with video games, which is sad coming from you since I "know" you from the beginnings.

I have nothing against whatever you said. I am very much against people paying huge sum of cash to have advantage and to feed the greedy dev's. 

If real life was all about "having fun" , then your point could stand. Video games, from my point of view, are about having fun! Saying that someone who is paying 7k wants to have fun is wrong. They pay that sum of cash for personal reasons such as : having a big advantage over others, fame , and alike. 

I stand 100% against this shit, no matter whatever "reasons" X or Y are having for paying that cash in a video game, especially MMO's , because that is the very main point. If the game was single player , then fuck it. Pay 1 mil, I don't care. Close yourself in a basement , pay 1 mil and play the game solo. But when other players are involved, then we have a problem.
    KyleranFrykka

IceAge said:
    Sovrath said:
    IceAge said:

You are comparing real life with video games, which is sad coming from you since I "know" you from the beginnings.

I have nothing against whatever you said. I am very much against people paying huge sum of cash to have advantage and to feed the greedy dev's. 

If real life was all about "having fun" , then your point could stand. Video games, from my point of view, are about having fun! Saying that someone who is paying 7k wants to have fun is wrong. They pay that sum of cash for personal reasons such as : having a big advantage over others, fame , and alike. 

I stand 100% against this shit, no matter whatever "reasons" X or Y are having for paying that cash in a video game, especially MMO's , because that is the very main point. If the game was single player , then fuck it. Pay 1 mil, I don't care. Close yourself in a basement , pay 1 mil and play the game solo. But when other players are involved, then we have a problem.
    Well, now wait a minute, I beg to differ.

Having a luxury car is (in my opinion) an indulgence. SAme with a sports car same with a mansion.

Buying expensive jewelry "just because" is also an indulgence and the indulgences are for the pleasure of it.

Also, and you might dislike it, my life is literally about maximizing my fun. No joke, everything I do in my life is to minimize things I dislike and to maximize my enjoyment. also to minimize stress.

Now, not everyone wants to do that and of course have a life like that but I can assure you, i'm not the only one.
    JamesGoblin

edited August 2017
    Sovrath said:
    IceAge said:
    Sovrath said:
    IceAge said:

Having a luxury car is (in my opinion) an indulgence. SAme with a sports car same with a mansion.

Buying expensive jewelry "just because" is also an indulgence and the indulgences are for the pleasure of it.

Also, and you might dislike it, my life is literally about maximizing my fun. No joke, everything I do in my life is to minimize things I dislike and to maximize my enjoyment. also to minimize stress.

Now, not everyone wants to do that and of course have a life like that but I can assure you, i'm not the only one.
    Keep repeating yourself that video games = real life . It seems you didn't quiet understood what I said. 

I don't care what you do with your life, is your life at the end of the day. What I do care is if you are going to ruin my fun in-game , by paying whatever you earn in real life , just to come online and be that "cool kid". 

Good thing is that I never step foot in such games, but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion. 

From the look of whatever you said, it seems you are also paying your "fun" in-games. Which is a shame. 

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Sovrath said:
    IceAge said:
    Sovrath said:
    IceAge said:

Yours is a very common attitude among older single people,  which I believe you are, right?

My sister is also very much like this which is so different from mine which has been shaped by decades of being responsible for the well being of my family.

Rarely did I get to consider my personal happiness, or at least not as a priority. 

B)

IceAgeSovrathJamesGoblinCogohi

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited August 2017
    Kyleran said:

Yours is a very common attitude among older single people,  which I believe you are, right?

My sister is also very much like this which is so different from mine which has been shaped by decades of being responsible for the well being of my family.

Rarely did I get to consider my personal happiness, or at least not as a priority. 

B)

Absolutely, I'm an older (50) single person! Getting married is always an option but never wanted a family.

I always date women who have the same outlook on life so as not to run into any issues.

I could go on and on about one of my exes who loved shoes and would buy many, very expensive shoes!
    JamesGoblin

Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

B)

Absolutely, I'm an older (50) single person! Getting married is always an option but never wanted a family.

I always date women who have the same outlook on life so as not to run into any issues.

I could go on and on about one of my exes who loved shoes and would buy many, very expensive shoes!
    Hubba hubba!  Tell us about them all...  Spare no detail! ;)
    JamesGoblin

edited August 2017
    IceAge said:

Keep repeating yourself that video games = real life . It seems you didn't quiet understood what I said. 

I don't care what you do with your life, is your life at the end of the day. What I do care is if you are going to ruin my fun in-game , by paying whatever you earn in real life , just to come online and be that "cool kid". 

Good thing is that I never step foot in such games, but that doesn't mean I can't have an opinion. 

From the look of whatever you said, it seems you are also paying your "fun" in-games. Which is a shame. 
    You seem to be asserting one thing "I don't care what you do with your life" but you then have issue with people doing what they want.

Especially because you are not listening.

I'm saying that these games that charge considerable amounts for "tailored" experiences", high end experiences "whatever" aren't aimed at you.

You think they are but they are not.

You SHOULDN'T be playing these games as they are tailored to a different crowd, those who "want to spend how they want to spend".

But you have the idea that all video games are catering to the same demographic.

As far as "thinking video games are real life" you are just going to have to explain yourself better because they are very much "real life".

you spend money on them, you spend time talking about them and you spend time playing them.

They are an entertainment, an indulgence. Just like splurging on a sports car is an indulgence.

Or an even better analogy, spending premium dollars for a theater ticket (Hamilton tickets can get into the thousands). You are essentially looking at life through your own lens and not seeing that it really should be more of a prism. You just don't take into account that the experiences of others, the desires of others are going to be vastly different.

You "think" that this is going to affect you but most likely it will not. You will play the games made for your demographic (and mine as well, I'm not going to spend thousands for this type of experience) and others will play the games that cater to them.

Lastly, and this is the most important, you need to learn what the term "Devil's Advocate" means.
    Post edited by Sovrath on
    JamesGoblin

Sovrath said:
    Kyleran said:

B)

Hubba hubba!  Tell us about them all...  Spare no detail! ;)
    I'd rather go into how much closet space they took ...
    MadFrenchieJamesGoblinCogohi

edited August 2017
    Sovrath said:
    IceAge said:

You seem to be asserting one thing "I don't care what you do with your life" but you then have issue with people doing what they want.

Especially because you are not listening.

I'm saying that these games that charge considerable amounts for "tailored" experiences", high end experiences "whatever" aren't aimed at you.

You think they are but they are not.

You SHOULDN'T be playing these games as they are tailored to a different crowd, those who "want to spend how they want to spend".

But you have the idea that all video games are catering to the same demographic.

As far as "thinking video games are real life" you are just going to have to explain yourself better because they are very much "real life".

you spend money on them, you spend time talking about them and you spend time playing them.

They are an entertainment, an indulgence. Just like splurging on a sports car is an indulgence.

Or an even better analogy, spending premium dollars for a theater ticket (Hamilton tickets can get into the thousands). You are essentially looking at life through your own lens and not seeing that it really should be more of a prism. You just don't take into account that the experiences of others, the desires of others are going to be vastly different.

You "think" that this is going to affect you but most likely it will not. You will play the games made for your demographic (and mine as well, I'm not going to spend thousands for this type of experience) and others will play the games that cater to them.

Lastly, and this is the most important, you need to learn what the term "Devil's Advocate" means.
    If you would read what I said, I clearly stated that I don't care what you do in real life and what I care is if you come to the virtual life and shit on my entertainment by spending huge sum of cash because you want fame, power, etc. in a game which normally is meant for fun. 

And yes, I am afraid is not the same, as you said "they are very much real life" , because it is a virtual life after all and not a real life . But hey, maybe somehow , you are living in a virtual life, pretending that is a real life. 

And again , I did said that I do not play this shitty games and what I say it's just an opinion.

In the end, do whatever you want with your cash, but as I said , if this involve other players then it's bad. 

Now tell me , as far as I remember, you loved the shit out of Lineage 2. How did you felt when others bought adena with real cash? You stated above that : You "think" that this is going to affect you but most likely it will not . It's a simple question with a simple answer. If you will answer "No" just to ..I don't know, keep your opinion alive, then you either spent cash by buying adena, or you didn't give a shit about the game. 

I know what "Devil's Advocate" means. What I don't know is how in the hell you are neutral to a thing like this when history learned us that this kind of.."approach" it's bad for the health of a game. 

edited August 2017
    IceAge said:

If you would read what I said, I clearly stated that I don't care what you do in real life and what I care is if you come to the virtual life and shit on my entertainment by spending huge sum of cash because you want fame, power, etc. in a game which normally is meant for fun. 

And yes, I am afraid is not the same, as you said "they are very much real life" , because it is a virtual life after all and not a real life . But hey, maybe somehow , you are living in a virtual life, pretending that is a real life. 

And again , I did said that I do not play this shitty games and what I say it's just an opinion.

In the end, do whatever you want with your cash, but as I said , if this involve other players then it's bad. 

Now tell me , as far as I remember, you loved the shit out of Lineage 2. How did you felt when others bought adena with real cash? You stated above that : You "think" that this is going to affect you but most likely it will not . It's a simple question with a simple answer. If you will answer "No" just to ..I don't know, keep your opinion alive, then you either spent cash by buying adena, or you didn't give a shit about the game. 

I know what "Devil's Advocate" means. What I don't know is how in the hell you are neutral to a thing like this when history learned us that this kind of.."approach" it's bad for the health of a game. 
    Well, several things,

As ive' said over and over and over and over again, the games that support people paying large amounts of cash are different than, say, a game like Lineage 2 which (at least at the time when I played) did not allow people to do that. It was against the rules.

A game that has, as part of its monetization, the ability for players to buy in game assets is different than a game where people buying items is against the rules.

One is catering to people who want to use their real life money to get ahead
    One has to spend time and resources to stop people from using real life money to get ahead.

You understand this correct? I'm not asking if you agree, just that you understand.

YOU would not be playing the first game as you are not the client they are interested in. Therefore there is nothing to ruin your experience (well other than cheaters).

This whole idea of yours that this is a 'virtual life" is way off base.

This is entertainment. period. It's like a movie or the theater or any other bit if entertainment where you spend money. Video games are a multi-billion dollar a year industry that employs thousands and is accessed by millions. that's as "real" as any industry.

If you don't want to equate it to buying a luxury car then it's like spending thousands on theater tickets/concert tickets so you can have perks as well as see the show. Or whichever bit of entertainment that allows an experience but you don't have an actual physical item.

So what I am saying is, whether you like it or not, there are games out there that are catering to a different demographic. I'm ok with that because not everything revolves around me. Others want different experiences so who am I to say no?

really?

In any case "no" I don't judge people in that way if that is really what you are getting at.

I should add that "no" I don't like cheaters, "yes" It's ok for people to spend money how they want at a venue that allows their money to be spent that way.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    F2Plague said:
    Pay to win or not it is still ridiculous. 10 years ago if someone put a 7000$ dollar castle in a cash shop people would have thought it was insane. Amazing how fast greed can change a genre.

I agree, it's absolutely absurd by my standards.  But then, there are some truly rich people out there for whom this is a drop in the bucket.  If it's purely cosmetic, and has no effect on the gameplay mechanics of others (someone being emotionally hurt that they can't have as pretty a house not counting in my estimation), then I don't see it hurting the game.  That was my major concern.
    Look at it this way.  Those truly rich people that buy stuff like this aren't likely to be classified as truly rich next year or in five years time.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    kitarad said:
    It depends on whether you can earn a fortress of similar fortification in game. if the appearance is the only difference then it would be cosmetic.

Even if you can earn it, are you familiar with the term "pay to win?"  If paying cash gives you an instant, functional item that someone else can earn by investing time, that fits the definition.  IDK, maybe I'm wrong and someone who knows more about Crowfall can chime in saying that this item doesn't give you a real-world advantage for cash.
    What are you winning by buying that castle?
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    LynxJSA said:
    What are you winning by buying that castle?
    A castle?
    IceAgeJamesGoblinwaynejr2djnj2000jdlamson75
    Sovrath said:
    IceAge said:

Well, several things,

As ive' said over and over and over and over again, the games that support people paying large amounts of cash are different than, say, a game like Lineage 2 which (at least at the time when I played) did not allow people to do that. It was against the rules.

A game that has, as part of its monetization, the ability for players to buy in game assets is different than a game where people buying items is against the rules.

I am going to quote this, as the rest is really not going anywhere.

Yes, you are right ! There is a difference. One where legit players don't like the ones who buy "power" in a game where is against the rules, and second , where legit players hates both , the company and the "flower power players" .

But they do have one thing in common. Legit players don't like "power players" in both games. 

And this is the reason why such companies ( aka greedy companies ) will always focus on the whales .

If you don't care or ok , don't react with an opinion against and when one spends huge money in a MMO ( where it affects the others ) then you are part of them and the reason why this .. thing ( MMO ) is going down.

Ignorance is bad !