Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Forbes) Bethesda Game of Thrones leaked by Target (update: it was a hoax)

Comments

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    BruceYee said:
    Might finally see the "WoW killer" in this decade.
    Wouldn't be on MMO I'd say, Bethesda didn't have the best experience with ESO in terms of success.
    Mendel
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    True story, friend of mine who is avid reader told me once years before the TV series this set of books were terrible, and in her words, the author is always killing off the main characters.  (I'm told the TV show remained true to this).

So I never watched the show, partly due to this reason but also after seeing an episode or two knowing my wife would never enjoy it, and she controls the TV in the evenings in my house. 

But this announcement seems like good news, with any luck I'll  finish Fallout New Vegas (the game that never ends) just in time for launch.

B)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    True story, friend of mine who is avid reader told me once years before the TV series this set of books were terrible, and in her words, the author is always killing off the main characters.  (I'm told the TV show remained true to this).

So I never watched the show, partly due to this reason but also after seeing an episode or two knowing my wife would never enjoy it, and she controls the TV in the evenings in my house. 

But this announcement seems like good news, with any luck I'll  finish Fallout New Vegas (the game that never ends) just in time for launch.

B)

It is common practice to kill off characters in POV stories. I'm really not sure what's all the fuss about this particular series. Also, none of the characters I guessed to have vital roles in the story from the beginning are all alive and well. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    MaxBacon said:
    BruceYee said:
    Wouldn't be on MMO I'd say, Bethesda didn't have the best experience with ESO in terms of success.
    It doesn't seem likely that Bethesda would want a new product to compete in the same market as ESO.  Also, the long development time of MMORPGs counts against this product being another MMORPG.  I think I'm with @MaxBacon on this issue.
    Azaron_Nightblade

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Mendel said:
    MaxBacon said:
    BruceYee said:
    It doesn't seem likely that Bethesda would want a new product to compete in the same market as ESO.  Also, the long development time of MMORPGs counts against this product being another MMORPG.  I think I'm with @MaxBacon on this issue.
    Its unlikely that Bethesda would make an MMO, they have always said that they would only make single player games, which btw, ESO was developed by a team at Zenimax, Bethesda were the publishers though as a subsidiary of Zenimax it isn't like they were entirely uninvolved. :/
    Total War: Game of Thrones

I'd love to play that. But I guess will be getting Skyrim: Game of Thrones.

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I'd like to play as one of the Freefolk in the North. Lots more room for lore that wasn't explored all that much in the books or TV series. And more possibility of magic like Warging if it's set there. No need to bend a knee either :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ianicusianicus Member UncommonPosts: 665
    Nasa said:
    It will probably be 1st person game. I prefer 3rd person, so if it was made by CD Project Red I would be in luck.
    You can play most bethesda games in 3rd person that have been made in the last decade
    "Well let me just quote the late-great Colonel Sanders, who said…’I’m too drunk to taste this chicken." - Ricky Bobby
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Kyleran said:

B)

Curious. Did your friend keep reading the books - they came out over several years and if they were so bad I assume that they would have stopped after the first?

(I would disagree btw that the books are bad.)
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • penandpaperpenandpaper Member UncommonPosts: 174
    No offense, but who are you people?
    Skyrim not playable without mods?  Except most people played without mods.
    Bethesda doesn't make good games?  Except from a production value, storyline, interesting setting, good story, nice graphics, and game mechanics... yeah I guess you're right.
    Books more popular than the series? No.  Yes, units sold.  But, groups watch GoT - and half the books bought were Christmas presents that got thrown in the closet.

I guess I just don't understand.

ConstantineMerusGruugAethaeryn
    edited August 2017
    Gorwe said:
    Kyleran said:

B)

It is common practice to kill off characters in POV stories. I'm really not sure what's all the fuss about this particular series. Also, none of the characters I guessed to have vital roles in the story from the beginning are all alive and well. 
    Yeah, as I said, I just don't understand the fuss. Sure, the prose and the writing style of G.Martin is very nice, but...come on? Are Game of Thrones something we want to leave to our children? Not Harry Potter or LoTR or Narnia but GoT? ...sure, fair enough. Just keep in mind, if what he writes about is the mentality of the writer...there's more to humans. We aren't as animalistic as he portrays us(we can be, but aren't 24/7 like in GoT).
    Uh.. I was making a whole different point, completely unrelated to what you said mate. 

I'm not going to share my opinion here since it ain't the place for it. Just a little piece, if you compare history to GoT, GoT comes out as a pretty princess dressed in pink. But let's just leave it as that! ;)
    MadFrenchieAzaron_Nightblade

Bethesda doesn't make good games?  Except from a production value, storyline, interesting setting, good story, nice graphics, and game mechanics... yeah I guess you're right.
    Books more popular than the series? No.  Yes, units sold.  But, groups watch GoT - and half the books bought were Christmas presents that got thrown in the closet.

I believe mods gave longevity to the fans. But a game has to become huge success first to have that sort of modding community. 
    MadFrenchiepenandpaper

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited August 2017

Skyrim is VERY playable without mods.

The only mods I ever use are those that create a bit more realism or those that add extra dungeons and items. I don't really change the core game at all.

However, as Constantine said, Mods allow for longevity (like those extra dungeons).
    ConstantineMeruspenandpaper
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ScotchUpScotchUp Member UncommonPosts: 228
    Guess it was a hoax, would love a game like this. http://bit.ly/2gmv0wd
    “The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.”
    George Carlin
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Sovrath said:

The only mods I ever use are those that create a bit more realism or those that add extra dungeons and items. I don't really change the core game at all.

However, as Constantine said, Mods allow for longevity (like those extra dungeons).
    Wait, does Skyrim have a Macho Man mod??  I won't play a Bethesda game without being able to turn at least one enemy type into Macho Man and his Band of Randy Savages.
    ConstantineMerusSovrath

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Sovrath said:

Wait, does Skyrim have a Macho Man mod??  I won't play a Bethesda game without being able to turn at least one enemy type into Macho Man and his Band of Randy Savages.
    lol "well it does".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlJULk0f9xA
    MadFrenchie
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Gorwe said:
    Kyleran said:

B)

Yeah, as I said, I just don't understand the fuss. Sure, the prose and the writing style of G.Martin is very nice, but...come on? Are Game of Thrones something we want to leave to our children? Not Harry Potter or LoTR or Narnia but GoT? ...sure, fair enough. Just keep in mind, if what he writes about is the mentality of the writer...there's more to humans. We aren't as animalistic as he portrays us(we can be, but aren't 24/7 like in GoT).
    In terms of the TV series, the appeal is understandable. (please excuse upcoming sexism). 

The TV series is essentially a costume drama. Women love costume dramas! It's got interesting settings and clothing etc, but at it's heart GoT TV series is just like any other drama - interpersonal conflict and character development, hooking into your personal emotions. 

However, the series is marketed as a fantasy drama and has just about enough sex and violence to also keep men interested as well. 

That is what keeps GoT so popular. Normally, a fantasy or sci-fi series would appeal primarily to men, but GoT has managed to appeal to everyone. They've taken some alright fantasy books, then dumbed down the dialogue to the point where it is accessible to the masses. 

The books......yeh, they're popular due to the TV series. They are good books, don't get me wrong, but nothing special in the world of fantasy. There is less drama and more high-level politics in the books - the books are actually far more intellectually stimulating that the tv series - but the world of westeros is pretty boring compared to most, the battles short lived, the races involved boring. It is simply that many of the things in the books are relatable, hence it getting made into a series. 

Do we want to pass it on to our kids? Hell no! GoT is made for adults, not kids! If I had children, I wouldn't want them watching the series! But should GoT be remembered by history? Yes. 

Despite my opinion that the TV series is nothing more than a glorified costume drama, I do believe that it should be remembered kindly by history. Despite it's many problems, GoT is probably the first, or at least the most popular, high quality fantasy series to grace the small screen. It is the first series that has shown us that just because it involves swords, shields, magic and dragons, it doesn't have to be cheesy as fuck and can involve high quality actors. I believe the series will open a door to future high quality series set in fantasy universes. 

As for the game.....I hope it will just be Skyrim in a GoT universe. Set it just after the final TV series, and time the launch to come after that series ends and you've got a winner. There will be no existing story to compare it to, just a starting point, so we can go off and create our own stories. I don't think Bethesda have the talent to create a game that would allow us to play the Game of Thrones (i.e. far reaching plans, alliances, political intrigues, planning large scale battles and invasions etc) so my hope is that it'll be mostly sandboxy like Skyrim, allowing us to travel and experience most of the world. Maybe the main storyline is we're a bastard of a minor lord, recalled to service after the death of his father, tasked with rebuilding the house and finishing up with some fights against a neutral enemy (invading dothraki, northmen or whatever). 

Gorwe
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

The books......yeh, they're popular due to the TV series. They are good books, don't get me wrong, but nothing special in the world of fantasy. There is less drama and more high-level politics in the books - the books are actually far more intellectually stimulating that the tv series - but the world of westeros is pretty boring compared to most, the battles short lived, the races involved boring. It is simply that many of the things in the books are relatable, hence it getting made into a series. 

I read the books that had been written long before there was a TV series. I liked them as fantasy fiction precisely because they were very light on the magic (although it's there in the background and becoming more prominent in the later books) and focused instead on political intrigue.

The only thing I found annoying about them is Martin's glacial release pace: he published the first one 21 years and there are still two more to go.

The TV series has become a cultural phenomenon and has now outpaced the story in the books. This is unfortunate because it has led to a deterioration of the story which now caters more and more to a mainstream TV audience giving us what we want and not necessarily what should happen (a prominent political manipulator's death in the last episode is a good example of this - the plot was childish and he should have seen it coming.)

Everyone has fantasy favorites - someone above mentioned Midkemia and I'd love to see a series done in Feist's universe. It's been way too long since Betrayal at Krondor. But GOT's universe is also rich and could easily be done as a game up to and including an MMO.

I'm still doubting that Target would already know about it unless the announcement is imminent... which seems unlikely.
    Gorwe
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609

<snip>

Despite my opinion that the TV series is nothing more than a glorified costume drama, I do believe that it should be remembered kindly by history. Despite it's many problems, GoT is probably the first, or at least the most popular, high quality fantasy series to grace the small screen. It is the first series that has shown us that just because it involves swords, shields, magic and dragons, it doesn't have to be cheesy as fuck and can involve high quality actors. I believe the series will open a door to future high quality series set in fantasy universes. 

As for the game.....I hope it will just be Skyrim in a GoT universe. Set it just after the final TV series, and time the launch to come after that series ends and you've got a winner. There will be no existing story to compare it to, just a starting point, so we can go off and create our own stories. I don't think Bethesda have the talent to create a game that would allow us to play the Game of Thrones (i.e. far reaching plans, alliances, political intrigues, planning large scale battles and invasions etc) so my hope is that it'll be mostly sandboxy like Skyrim, allowing us to travel and experience most of the world. Maybe the main storyline is we're a bastard of a minor lord, recalled to service after the death of his father, tasked with rebuilding the house and finishing up with some fights against a neutral enemy (invading dothraki, northmen or whatever). 

I like your observation of GoT as a costume drama.  It's just set in a fantasy setting.

I'm not a huge fan of the books.  I think they focus a bit too much on the gritty and disgusting side of people.  There's a good reason that this series is pretty much the definition of the Grim Dark sub-genre.  That's not my preference.  As an additional disclaimer, I've not seen the TV show; I'm buying seasons when they're on sale.  So far, I have season one and two waiting for me.

I agree that history is going to remember GoT as innovative and somehow more glorious than it is.  I see a lot of people thinking that GoT is going to start a massive trend towards adult fantasy television.  I shared similar thoughts over Babylon Five ten years ago.  I'm still waiting for another serious single SF story told over several seasons.  I consider GoT a spiritual descendant of that effort, only without requiring the fans to adopt unusual sleeping hours to watch.

I've no real idea which way a game company would attempt to make a game based on GoT.  There are only a very few characters that survive and are interesting enough to follow.  I think the best approach is similar to LotRO, where players are surrounded by the main story.  Essentially, they are living in the world at the same time as the main story, with only vignettes of the story that we can only watch, but not interact with.  Without the high-level politics and intrigue, the world isn't all that interesting.  The big danger might be a lack of scope, making the game and the books/series into completely different animals.  A GoT game that didn't feel like GoT might not be as successful as one would think.

I'd certainly be interested in seeing how this gets developed.

Kyleran

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Iselin said:

Everyone has fantasy favorites - someone above mentioned Midkemia and I'd love to see a series done in Feist's universe. It's been way too long since Betrayal at Krondor. But GOT's universe is also rich and could easily be done as a game up to and including an MMO.

Feist is actually my favourite author and I love his Rift series....I'm actually going through them all again at the moment. I also think they're a fairly good set of books to convert into a TV series:
    • Primarily revolving around humans
    • Involves people at all levels of society, from the king down to servants and slaves
    • Far reaching scope with plenty of plot twists
    • The multiple lands and worlds provide a wide array of cultures to show off
    They might struggle when it comes to stuff involving lots of goblins, or the lizard people that invade (saaur?) as I imagine the cost of the CGI would be enormous, but hopefully by that point the tech will be cheap enough. 
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:

lol "well it does".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlJULk0f9xA
    Lmao I saw it as a Deathclaw mod for Fallout 4 and almost shit myself laughing.  Glad to see its a recurring theme for Bethesda mods!

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    TheScavenger
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    That is too bad. That is quite a hoax though.

I'll update the original post. Thanks for the update :)

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Maybe it was a typo and really an indie game about baseball called "Game of Throws" xD
    Sovrath
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Torval said:
    Tiller said:
    Maybe it was a typo and really an indie game about baseball called "Game of Throws" xD
    It could be a sandbox builder. You play the main character, "Kevin Coaster" and work to build your baseball park. The advice system channels MLB ghosts from the past to guide you on your way. :lol:
    The Coast remembers!