Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

(Forbes) Bethesda Game of Thrones leaked by Target (update: it was a hoax)

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
edited August 2017 in General Gaming
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2017/08/27/target-may-have-just-leaked-the-existence-of-bethesdas-game-of-thrones-video-game/#8bf7b413cb9b

Love game of thrones, and love Bethesda games (Elder Scrolls/Fallout). Very looking forward to seeing what the game will be like and if its moddable or not. I remember there was a leak pretty recently that said this was going to happen (that and a game I think called Starfall or something).

What you guys thoughts? 

(edit: Its a hoax, thanks FlyByKnight for the update.)

Hoax: https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2017/08/28/that-target-listing-for-a-bethesda-game-of-thrones-game-was-a-hoax/#3e354c7a2438

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Post edited by TheScavenger on
Octagon7711RelampagoAzaron_NightbladeConstantineMerusMrMelGibson

Comments

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    It was bound to happen. I'm glad it is happening by Bethesda though. 
    Octagon7711RelampagoMrMelGibson
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Something else to put on my list of games to look forward to.
    RelampagoConstantineMerusMrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    It will probably be 1st person game. I prefer 3rd person, so if it was made by CD Project Red I would be in luck.
    Huntrezz
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    If Bethesda do a passable job on a GoT game, they are going to be making a very, very big pile of money.

I'd expect the rights for that IP didn't come cheap though...
    ConstantineMerusKyleran
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    I don't need a reenactment of the series. Personally I don't see much freedom for epic questlines, they always will cross paths with the series. Also it will be very unlikely the game will take place after the series, as both the writer and the studio don't want to give up extra money in the form of a sequel.

Then again, playing Lotro and visiting places from the books, is just priceless. Finding the petrified trolls for example. So hopefully Bethesda will surprise me with a nice open world experience. Would be nice to play a low/non magic fantasy game. 

WalkinGlenn
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    It could be set prior to the book series, which means that you would only have a big picture, tangential need for it to coincide with the series lore.

If you set it even before the Mad King's reign, there's a lot of room for creativity.  Anything occurring alongside the book timeline or after will be heavily restrained by the events of the books.
    MrMelGibson

• ysn888ysn888 Member UncommonPosts: 62
    ''Bethesda'' that i can trust !
    Kyleran
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    edited August 2017
    It's a disaster already.

Everybody knows that FIRST you setup a website and describe high level game concepts with a few generic screenshots using store assets, then you allow people to crowdfund your development.  Making a game before getting suckers hopeful fans to plunk down millions of dollars is never going to work.

MadFrenchieWellspringIselinStrizzy12MrMelGibsonGorweKyleranAethaerynYashaX

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Rhoklaw said:
    Well, creating games based off an already well known IP is great for recognition, but horrible for content. I mean, you can pull it off with IP's like Star Wars or Star Trek because storywise, they are both very open-ended. As someone pointed out, LOTRO did pretty well with making you part of the story without actually BEING the main heroes, but the direction was limited because the story is already established and not really able to be expanded upon.
    Depends what they are doing I suppose. The books are bigger by far than the TV series and in addition there are e.g. The Hedge Knight stories which are set c. 1,000 years (if I recall correctly) before the events depicted in the series.
    MadFrenchie
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Its not that Bethesda games are really good (even though they are), its more about the modding than the actual game. So you're gonna see some really good stuff if this is legit.
    Octagon7711
  • Ronald88Ronald88 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Game of thrones online ?
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited August 2017
    Hopefully it'll be modable. I love the gameplay of their games, but dear god, they're hideous by default. Especially the character models. Right up there with SWL. And a bunch of other Western titles to be fair x.x
    Octagon7711

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    gervaise1 said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Well, creating games based off an already well known IP is great for recognition, but horrible for content. I mean, you can pull it off with IP's like Star Wars or Star Trek because storywise, they are both very open-ended. As someone pointed out, LOTRO did pretty well with making you part of the story without actually BEING the main heroes, but the direction was limited because the story is already established and not really able to be expanded upon.
    Depends what they are doing I suppose. The books are bigger by far than the TV series and in addition there are e.g. The Hedge Knight stories which are set c. 1,000 years (if I recall correctly) before the events depicted in the series.
    90 years actually. It's entirely possible that some characters from the Hedge Knight stories could still be alive in the main series.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    we'll see.... not jumping on the hype train yet.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited August 2017
    Next year is the GOT final season. I know that there are several TV spin-offs in the works (from which they say they will pick one) so a reveal next year with a 2019 release would make more sense.

However I am having a hard time believing that frikking Target would be so much in the know that they're preparing a landing page.

immodium
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• wandericawanderica Member UncommonPosts: 370
    Interesting news.  I think the best possible outcome would be for it to take place prior to the series.  Done right, it could be this generation's KotOR.  For that reason, I'd rather see it done by Cd Projekt Red for a focus on story, but Bethesda is a safe choice also.  At least the world will be well designed.  That at least should give us an expansive Westeros to explore. 

If it's set during the series timeline, it's going to force a narrative.  A new story perhaps, but it will need to be some no name, son of Also a No Name, of House Nameless.  And even then, we'll already know what's going to happen.  That's boring.  I'd much rather wander Westeros and (in true Bethesda style) choose whom I want to support in their bid for the throne.  It could be a time when Dragons still flew the skies, before the wall went up, or even take place at the time when the Night King was made.  It's that ability to fill in thousands of years of history that was yet unwritten that made KotOR one of the great RPGs.  To give a Game of Thrones title any less would be an injustice.

• leinad312leinad312 Member UncommonPosts: 319
    edited August 2017
    I'd like it to take place during the Dance of the Dragons. I'd play as a dragonseed, tame a dragon, and support the blacks.

Playing - FFXIV,  ESO
    Played - FFXI, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Aion, SWToR, LotRO, GW2, TERA, Rift, ArcheAge, TSW

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Personally they would of been better off making Raymond E Fiest Midkemia a reality, more lore and scope. 
    [Deleted User]

• KahrekKahrek Member UncommonPosts: 68
    Ronald88 said:
    Game of thrones online ?
    11/10 would bang my sister again.
    SiugRonald88MrMelGibsonBruceYeeOctagon7711
  • AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Don't know if it's a real leak or not. Quite frankly I'm not sure why Target would be aware of a project that hasn't even been announced yet, let alone teased. That said, it *could* be a remnant of an older project. If I'm not mistaken, Bethesda was approached to make a Game of Thrones game many years ago, but they declined (and the project went to Telltale Games).

Guess we'll see.
    Gdemami[Deleted User]
  • immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    Can @DMKano confirm? :)
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Might finally see the "WoW killer" in this decade.
    Phry
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Bethesda games tend to be a bit 'raw' the only real reason why they are popular is because game mods turn them into games worth playing, without the mods, i seriously doubt games like Skyrim even would be remotely as popular.
    I am not sure that GoT is really an IP that Bethesda would be interested in and i would be very surprised indeed if they did make one using the GoT IP, the entire premise is extremely questionable, it may even be fake news. :/
    Azaron_Nightblade
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Well, no one would either confirm nor deny so something may be going on.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey