Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Literally Talk to Your Friends Face-to-Face with Faceware Tech - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageLiterally Talk to Your Friends Face-to-Face with Faceware Tech - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

Star Citizen announced today that it has partnered with Faceware Technologies that will track facial movements and stream them to your character's face. You'll literally be able to see your character speak your words to other players.

Read the full story here

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    I mean....sorta cool but mostly creepy. :/
    dentasemsMadFrenchie[Deleted User]ThorkuneMrMelGibsonXarkorpmcmurphyZzadHatefullvito11and 1 other.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I always imagined this tech would be used for virtual Avatars in games like Second Life. When I saw CIGs demo all I could see was players jumping in your face making strange faces and mouthing x-rated words. The other thought I had was you will really need a nice rig and decent band width.
    Ikonic

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited August 2017
    It's pretty much a biggie for roleplayers, the ability of voice chatting with face tracking, do emotes and all that jazz, making characters no longer static and disconnected from voice, the head tracking embed is a boon.

The 3D audio positioning was also very good, the detail of distance, the accounting for the environment you're in so it can cause echo and such; the filtering of audio when talking through helmet > helmet and the ability to hail other players in their ships and have them rendered in your ship screen... it's a great piece of tech I'm very interesting to see how it develops.
    Post edited by MaxBacon on
    rpmcmurphyVorpalChicken28chojin2kExcessiontannim78
  • PiscorePiscore Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Totally unnecessary.
    KyleranVrikapostlarvalXarkoalivenkjempffrojoArcueidExcessionBananaSoupNildenand 11 others.

l2p

• ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 322
    get the fn game out, then do more stuff holy heck.
    holdenhamletbartoni33ExcessionforcelimaGinazAlomarwarsaber1375rygar218ScotchUpchojin2kand 2 others.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    By the time they get all this stuff in, you will need a $5000 computer to run the game at 60fps. While I think this might be cool for role players, this is not something people are screaming for. The game is currently 30 gigs on a fresh install and 3.0 has not even been added yet. How big will it be in 2022 when it is ready for the MVP release? How much time will they need to spend optimizing all that code?
    ExcessionAzaron_Nightbladechojin2k
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    C'mon man. What servers and rig are going to be needed to handle all this pretty bandwidth hungry tech getting slammed into the release pipeline? Star Citizen is turning into a Siggraph presentation.

Not trying to trigger the local Citizentologists but c'mon, "Too Big To Release" is my new terminology for all this.

Coming Soon to Star Citizen (might as well):
    holdenhamletZzad
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    More unnecessary gold plating to a long overdue title, doubtful it will be the last of it.
    MadFrenchieSlapshot1188KefoXarkoSpottyGekkokjempffExcessionklash2defForgrimmforcelimaand 5 others.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited August 2017
    Talonsin said:
    By the time they get all this stuff in, you will need a $5000 computer to run the game at 60fps. While I think this might be cool for role players, this is not something people are screaming for. The game is currently 30 gigs on a fresh install and 3.0 has not even been added yet. How big will it be in 2022 when it is ready for the MVP release? How much time will they need to spend optimizing all that code?
    You shouldn't underestimate the core of the SC Backer community: Roleplayers.

They know this and this is why this stuff hits as a big deal because it provides to role players gameplay to what for you, if not one or interested, is fluff. 

Performance wouldn't big much of a problem, it will be how can they network this without too much weight and still allow the animation to play out smoothly enough.

As for 3.0, the last info says around of 40GB as the patch size.
    ExcessionGdemamivito11
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,407
    edited August 2017
    My first impression was dang more "feature "creep" but after watching the video (check the 6:09 mark) and seeing how it allows headtracking and seeing they already have a working webcam for this maybe it's worth doing.

I dunno but any kind of modern "in the cockpit" space/flight game/sim headtracking should be a given or standard feature.

From what this video shows it works as well if not better than some of the few other 3rd party head tracking options we currently have.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

You do Realize Everquest 2 has had this technology for years now right ??

think everquest 2 was the first MMORPG that used face tracking ect . so it looks like your character is fully talking Ect when you talk

no one even uses it but it is in the game , and very coool to use it sometimes

versulasmmoroboKefoExcessionklash2defAvarixforcelimaMaggonHatefullTheAmazingDwarfand 2 others.
    No word on S42.
    ExcessionmazutDakeru

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    It is a cute idea,SOE had this in the works a few years back for EQ2,not sure if it ever made it in,i think it did.However cute/cool the idea,this has become a joke,prolonging the money train,continuing to profit without a finished product and by the millions,imagine when goes full live and full cash shop.
    This won't even about the game,it will be about a ton of money made exploiting foolish spenders.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Torval said:
    Technically speaking it's really interesting. From a gaming perspective it's an immersion detractor for me.
    Are players talking to you with no expression whatsoever more immersive?

Games that add an independent of sync animation to mouth or even a "sound" icon over the character to make you aware they are even speaking?

No word on S42.
    It would not have been Gamescom, it's always Citizencon as it's been in past years, if SQ42 stuff happens it will be in October at citcon.
    ExcessionShaihuby
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    MaxBacon said:

As for 3.0, the last info says around of 40GB as the patch size.
    40 gigs in alpha 3.0 and they have not even added all the planets/systems/stations yet? 
    Excession
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Talonsin said:
    40 gigs in alpha 3.0 and they have not even added all the planets/systems/stations yet? 
    Doesn't tell much the weight the assets have in the size; they have been creating tilesets they just play with settings to customize then re-use without creating actual new assets.

ik CIG doesn't do assets in 4K, they use a different approach under 1K but put them together in ways that look very good visually, if they did 4K you'd end up like Final Fantasy XV with 170GB.
    Excession
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Forget this crap and just launch SQ42...
    ExcessionScotchUp

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

Yes this is a Feature in Everquest 2

star citizen probably stole the idea ^__^

Long Live Everquest 2 !! haha

mmoroboExcessionScotchUp
    edited August 2017
    This is the Player Hailing function that is also related to this:

Ability to hail another player from contacts, rendering that player whenever he is in your interface that shows to have this tech embed on the video comms.
    Excession
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Piscore said:
    Totally unnecessary.
    Yes, but cool. :)
    Octagon7711[Deleted User]ZzadHatefullAmazingAverychojin2ktannim78
  • AllerleirauhAllerleirauh Member UncommonPosts: 496
    edited August 2017

I always imagined this tech would be used for virtual Avatars in games like Second Life. When I saw CIGs demo all I could see was players jumping in your face making strange faces and mouthing x-rated words. The other thought I had was you will really need a nice rig and decent band width.

They have been doing this stuff for awhile in Second Life. I don't know if (or how long ago) you played, but since they introduced Project Bento they have been working on giving avatars more realistic expressions. I do agree that this technology would be valuable in games that focus on socializing; unnecessary in any other type of game.
    Post edited by Allerleirauh on
    Currently Playing: Path of Exile

"I have found a desire within myself that no experience in this world can satisfy; the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~ C. S. Lewis
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    This is really going to thrill the ERP crowd.
    [Deleted User]MadFrenchiechojin2ktannim78
    OK, so tell me about this transparency stuff again.  I see why 3.0 is taking a little longer now.  

• EhliyaEhliya Member UncommonPosts: 223
    My first impression was happiness to see that Ser Davos Seaworth made it out of Game of Thrones and was cloned in the far future.
    ConstantineMerusMadFrenchieXarkowinghaven1tannim78
  • LimnicLimnic Member RarePosts: 1,116
    edited August 2017
    Guess it's nice that they're catching up to a 13 year old MMO.
    sgelExcessionOctagon7711