Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dual Universe - Checking in with Novaquark’s Ambitious Space Sandbox - MMORPG.com

Comments

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Kyleran said:
    There's are good reasons why CCP who created one the harshest PVP centric virtual worlds ever delivered chose to implement the PVE content and player control systems in EVE that they have in place.

Tossing both out the window with little to replace it besides lots of gathering / building mechanics seems to be unwise, I'll be sitting on the fence for now.

Over the 10 years I played EVE I pretty much tried everything save one, the crafting / industry was never of any interest,  would rather watch paint dry....

Or shoot rocks with a mining laser. B)

but eve doesnt have base build and all that its just combat and gathering trading with out the pve
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited August 2017
    Raxeon said:
    Kyleran said:
    There's are good reasons why CCP who created one the harshest PVP centric virtual worlds ever delivered chose to implement the PVE content and player control systems in EVE that they have in place.

Tossing both out the window with little to replace it besides lots of gathering / building mechanics seems to be unwise, I'll be sitting on the fence for now.

Over the 10 years I played EVE I pretty much tried everything save one, the crafting / industry was never of any interest,  would rather watch paint dry....

but eve doesnt have base build and all that its just combat and gathering trading with out the pve
    Are the bases conquerable like ships are?  I can see base-building going flaccid really quickly when the base builders find that all their base are belong to us.
    Tiamat64 said:
    Raxeon said:
    Kyleran said:

Are the bases conquerable like ships are?  I can see base-building going flaccid really quickly when the base builders find that all their base are belong to us.
    lol all i know is there going to offer alot to do besides building just pve isnt part of it atm
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Tiamat64 said:
    Raxeon said:
    Kyleran said:

Yes, everything is conquerable and destructible. But it won't be as easy to do as it is in Rust or ARK.

And it's a tab-target locking combat system, so uber twitch skills or bunny-hopping won't count... :D

The exact details of combat and conquest are not finalised yet. Those systems won't even be available in game play until after alpha.
  • time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    i hope this is the next star citizen.

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:

When I realized it is a game in which I can manipulate/hire/trick/command other people to do my bidding, I chose a whole other level of gameplay. Yeah I played it for 12 years, but mostly through words. And that's the beauty of EVE: so many possible roles and playstyles to choose from. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Kyleran said:

When I realized it is a game in which I can manipulate/hire/trick/command other people to do my bidding, I chose a whole other level of gameplay. Yeah I played it for 12 years, but mostly through words. And that's the beauty of EVE: so many possible roles and playstyles to choose from. 
    For.many the meta game the EVE universe provides is far more important than the actual gameplay.

In fact, many alliance and large corporation leaders can go for weeks at a time literally never undocking a ship into the game world, yet be in control of vast empires and resources.

ConstantineMerus

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DavodtheTuttDavodtheTutt Member UncommonPosts: 415
    Kyleran said:
    There's are good reasons why CCP who created one the harshest PVP centric virtual worlds ever delivered chose to implement the PVE content and player control systems in EVE that they have in place...[snip]...

When I realized it is a game in which I can manipulate/hire/trick/command other people to do my bidding, I chose a whole other level of gameplay. Yeah I played it for 12 years, but mostly through words. 
    ...[snip]...
    Ooh! Sounds like an interesting story there! 
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    Raxeon said:
    EVE has a lot of base building. Really HUGE bases too ....

Have fun
    Kyleran
  • palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    edited August 2017
    Full loot open world pvp...nah..not for me. It looks nice in the beginning but. .. To start over and over again, boring
    It's not full loot I don't think but shrugs guess we will find out plus there will be safe zones
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

Ozmodan said:

Just do not see how they can have zero pve and subsist as a game.  If they think that will work, they have a screw loose.

DU is supposed to have animals that you can hunt for resources and... food. Yup, DU is also planning to include survival game mechanics ! :D
  • CostaniusCostanius Member UncommonPosts: 231
    There is a lot of PvE-Content: Players can search for ressources, sell them, build spaceships and sell them or their blueprints to others, form cities, create buildings and space-stations, trade, explore etc. Its all player-driven, but there will be a lot to do for people not wanting to PvP.
    And if there will be disruptive gameplay they'll adjust and adapt and change the rules I'm sure. There is still alpha and beta to test all this and change things if needed.

-----------------------------------
    Life is too short to play bad games.

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    time007 said:
    i hope this is the next star citizen.
    They can race each other to see who'll be first!
  • KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829

Nilden said:

Still wondering how and/or if they will stop a guild like goons from blowing everything up...

exactly this. I would love to see how the commnon player will be able to just go and build stuff without constantly getting harrased by the "PvP git GUD noob" players.
  • KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829

Nilden said:

Torval said:

... I understand that the creativity involved in building / crafting will be fun, but from the sounds of it you will only be able to build small stuff by yourself, you'll need your guild plus a lot of time to build anything meaningful, which means the majority of the creativity will be centred around one or two of you in the guild, the rest will just be glorified harvesters.

In most MMO guilds or clans, there are 1 or 2 "guild crafters" appointed in a group, who are fed resources by the guild, so nothing different there.

DU is strongly group-oriented. An organised group will always outperform a solo player when it comes to building large structures or ships, building cities or holding territory.

But even in EVE with it's mega-corporations, there are many soloists that do well. I played for many years as a small-scale industrialist and enjoyed it greatly.

We'll just have to see how this "new civilization in space" develops and organises itself. It may self-destruct or it may flourish, time will tell.

Heavily group oriented subscription locked open full loot open world game play. A lot of studios seem to be answering that call right now. There are a few without the full loot open pvp too so all bases are covered. It will be interesting to see how that pans out.

I can tell you how it will play out after many times playing games like this. People will kill, destroy and ruin everything they can and what they don't destroy they will probably build or carve a giant dick on.

Then you and your friends will log on and all your ships and base will be gone.

the only thing that's keeping me from buying in to the alpha at this point. I do not trust any kind of gaming community to police themselves enough for others to have a pleasant experience.
    KyleranNilden
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Costanius said:
    There is a lot of PvE-Content: Players can search for ressources, sell them, build spaceships and sell them or their blueprints to others, form cities, create buildings and space-stations, trade, explore etc. Its all player-driven, but there will be a lot to do for people not wanting to PvP.
    And if there will be disruptive gameplay they'll adjust and adapt and change the rules I'm sure. There is still alpha and beta to test all this and change things if needed.
    If you don't start from the outset preparing for the disruptive actions of players it ends up being a major issue trying to shoehorn a fix in.  There is a long litany of failed games primarily due to their having little or no controls on open ended pvp.
    KyleranNilden
    edited August 2017
    Ozmodan said:
    Costanius said:
    If you don't start from the outset preparing for the disruptive actions of players it ends up being a major issue trying to shoehorn a fix in.  There is a long litany of failed games primarily due to their having little or no controls on open ended pvp.
    Yea there not even combat in t he pre alpha so theres no pvp to worry about so there plenty of time to fix issues with it, once they do put it in
  • ubermutubermut Member UncommonPosts: 272
    I've been very excited for this game and check around for news every now and then.  Thanks for this.  Can't wait.
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    I was looking at the alpha, the game built using voxel, but wouldn't that break immersion if you see a starship in the shape of medieval castle? lol. I guess I will see how it develop first rather than jumping the gun.
    I was looking at the alpha, the game built using voxel, but wouldn't that break immersion if you see a starship in the shape of medieval castle? lol. I guess I will see how it develop first rather than jumping the gun.
    not really cause you could build a medieval city 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Raxeon said:
    Everyone knows penis shaped structures are always the most popular.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

SBFord said:

Being this is a featured article by our staff, it IS on the front page in the top box AND as the highlighted article of the day in the image scroller. ;)

@Raxeon

Which you were paid to do this, right? *wink*wink*

Obviously! Reporting game news, specifically MMORPG, MMO, or RPG related, is their job.
    This is not a charity project!
    Kyleran said:
    Raxeon said:
    Everyone knows penis shaped structures are always the most popular.
    lol really havent seen any
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097

Ozmodan said:

Just do not see how they can have zero pve and subsist as a game.  If they think that will work, they have a screw loose.

Well, there is this sleeper game called Minecraft that is doing ok, give it a Google. (I wanted to say Bing for a goof, but couldn't bring my self to write that)