Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Around the Verse - Outposts and Environmental Storytelling - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2017 in Videos Discussion

imageAround the Verse - Outposts and Environmental Storytelling - Star Citizen Videos - MMORPG.com

Star Citizen developers discuss surface outposts. They are the focus of this week’s episode, as the team explores all the details that go into crafting a memorable destination. Plus, hosts Sandi Gardiner and Forrest Stephan bring viewers another installment of “Burndown" where devs speak about this week's issues and how they are combating them to get 3.0 launched.

Read the full story here

Comments

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
    Storytelling hu?....kind of feels like Roberts been storytelling my money outa my wallet for years now.....
    DarkpigeonKumapontomahawk1930Azaron_NightbladeXarkolaxievito11forcelimawinghaven1kinkyJalepeno
  • strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    So when is the mythical game coming out ? Seems like one big cash grab at this point.
    tomahawk1930vito11
  • jgDuffayjgDuffay Member UncommonPosts: 237

strykr619 said:

So when is the mythical game coming out ? Seems like one big cash grab at this point.

I would guess around the time we get AI that can make games for us in a smaller timeframe. This game is to wast to acually get finished, a everlasting beta at some point would be getting hopes up xD
  • tomahawk1930tomahawk1930 Member UncommonPosts: 43
    Forum bots...
  • April-RainApril-Rain Member UncommonPosts: 316
    At this point they would be better doing a monthly around the verse, they are all starting to seem a little stale with nothing exciting to announce.

Playing: FFXIV
    Future: wishing for SWG 2, World of Warcraft Classic
    Played: Most current and extinct MMO's - 18 Years in....

Interesting Fact - I own 27 Tarantula's

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

At this point they would be better doing a monthly around the verse, they are all starting to seem a little stale with nothing exciting to announce.

No, because fans pay monthly to get this . ($10)
    forcelimakinkyJalepeno

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Storytelling is a natural idea for a game,can't argue there.

A well designed environment is also a good fit to both convey the story and just for eye candy,the enjoyment of discovering new cool places.
    Yep sounds good on paper,look we are making videos every week/day to showcase what we are doing!!
    Are they really or is it just a nice way to market the game everyday to keep new faces seeing and possibly getting more money,why stop the money train?

EVERY single studio could tell us everyday about numbers 1.1 ...2.2...3.0 ...3.7 etc etc,however i think most realize it is very superficial and would bore us before doing anything positive.

When i get excited about news,it is because a game is very near to releasing as a finished product.The other reason is if i am playing a game and there is some cool new content being added and released in the next week or two.

SC is doing none fo that,they are just as i said marketing the game to the point of boring us with numbers 2.2 ....3.4...4.5 and never giving us a product we want to actually play or at least THINK about playing,to the point we might actually want to login and try it out.

I tired this game twice already,both times i was out of there within 25 minutes,i saw a game that looks ions away from something i want to spend money on and play long term.I feel i am educated enough to know this product when finally done is going to be three things...
    1 a very high cash shop game
    2 1-2 months of PVE game play
    3 MOSTLY just another pvp Eve hangout but i guess a more visual ,polished version of Eve.

What this truly reminds me of is the transition from H1Z1?to player battlegrounds.H1Z1 was NEVER a finsihed product and still to this day not worth more than a 3/10 rating.Player battlegrounds is a 4/10,still a tad better so everyone jumps ship like they will from Eve>SC but wil still be playing a very sub-par product.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ShadowStyleBShadowStyleB Member UncommonPosts: 315
    At first I was strongly encouraged by this game and then all the other space sims games came out while this one stayed in development. Despite it's derailing after launch at least No Man's Sky had a product to give to people. There is also Elite Dangerous (or as some call it Elite Docking Simulator).

I just wish there was a firm release window on the game not a game of parts that can be played if you back it but an actual fully released game. As other games have shown you can continue to update the game after release so I haven't understood other than taking money why this game isn't released or have a firm release date yet.

I know some are going to come here and say that it will release when it is ready or they are making a great game so it is taking time. Look at the money invested in this Indie (yes this is an indie game because it doesn't have a large studio) compared to a AAA game. There should have been a firm release window by now and a game in the stores.

So after every article all I can see is vaporware until they give a firm release window.

"You think this "A" stands for France?" Captain America

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited August 2017
    Look at the money invested in this Indie (yes this is an indie game because it doesn't have a large studio) compared to a AAA game. There should have been a firm release window by now and a game in the stores.

So after every article all I can see is vaporware until they give a firm release window.
    Uh, I think staff wise they're WAY bigger than the other Indies... I think some mentioned over a 100 employees. While the average Indie is lucky to 20 or so.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited August 2017
    At first I was strongly encouraged by this game and then all the other space sims games came out while this one stayed in development. Despite it's derailing after launch at least No Man's Sky had a product to give to people. There is also Elite Dangerous (or as some call it Elite Docking Simulator).

I just wish there was a firm release window on the game not a game of parts that can be played if you back it but an actual fully released game. As other games have shown you can continue to update the game after release so I haven't understood other than taking money why this game isn't released or have a firm release date yet.

I know some are going to come here and say that it will release when it is ready or they are making a great game so it is taking time. Look at the money invested in this Indie (yes this is an indie game because it doesn't have a large studio) compared to a AAA game. There should have been a firm release window by now and a game in the stores.

1. The game isn't released yet or doesn't have a release window because they're so madly ambitious. Where Elite was able to determine their scope and set a list of features they wanted to have for the release, Star Citizen is like a spoiled kid in a candy store that want to have everything now. So far they've got more features and technologies they're going to use than GTA V. Releasing, or even setting a release date and keeping it, is impossible when you can't keep the size of your release version in check.

2. Star Citizen is already larger than Bethesda Softworks (Skyrim, Fallout 4). If indie is measurement of size, then Star Citizen is not indie.

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    There is a myriad of Innovative technology in this game. Guess it takes a long time when you're breaking new ground in the genre.
    forcelima
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516

wait for the new hangar ships sales

news model for 200 buck !! ( when they want more of your money of course )

the game ? what game ???

what you play curently will change very litle, hope you enjoy it
    vito11
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

Look at the money invested in this Indie (yes this is an indie game because it doesn't have a large studio) compared to a AAA game. There should have been a firm release window by now and a game in the stores.

Uh, I think staff wise they're WAY bigger than the other Indies... I think some mentioned over a 100 employees. While the average Indie is lucky to 20 or so.

They have over 400 employees and studios in 4 different countries which is funny since one of the big selling points was that this game would skip a publisher and have very little overhead. I dont know how a publisher could have more overhead than trying to run studios in 4 different countries.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Talonsin said:

They have over 400 employees and studios in 4 different countries which is funny since one of the big selling points was that this game would skip a publisher and have very little overhead. I dont know how a publisher could have more overhead than trying to run studios in 4 different countries.
    Well outfitted studios on par with artwork and furnishings enjoyed by AAA studios.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297

OG_Zorvan said:

LeFantome said:

To put it mildly, those fans are idiots.

To put it mildly ... its none of YOUR business how we use OUR money. Especially if it is spent to create something for the community of a game we like.

Have fun
    Excession
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Erillion said:

OG_Zorvan said:

LeFantome said:

To put it mildly ... its none of YOUR business how we use OUR money. Especially if it is spent to create something for the community of a game we like.

Have fun
    If you can't handle public opinion then stop posting on public forums.
    ExcessionMaxBaconScotchUpKefokinkyJalepeno

..Cake..

Talonsin said:

If you factor in tax breaks (several million pounds sterling) for software companies (in UK) and state support money for high tech start-ups (in Germany), that overhead might actually be quite low compared to running it as an all US company project.

Have fun
    Excession
  • spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367
    Erillion said:

Talonsin said:

If you factor in tax breaks (several million pounds sterling) for software companies (in UK) and state support money for high tech start-ups (in Germany), that overhead might actually be quite low compared to running it as an all US company project.

Have fun
    Then they build an office in one of the most expensive cities in the US...custom-made office....quite the savings, I'm sure,  Bravo
    kikoodutroa8

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

edited August 2017
    sgel said:
    Erillion said:

OG_Zorvan said:

LeFantome said:

Have fun
    I cannot remember that i told this person anything on how to spend HIS/HER money ... help me out and point me to that post ... thank you very much.

And one or two posts on a niche forum does not equal "public opinion" when we are looking at close to 1.9 million people interested in Star Citizen
    (current number of "Star Citizens" = 1.861.451)

I have also missed the point where calling other people "idiots" has become acceptable on public forums. But maybe that is a recent US thing.

Have fun

Excession
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited August 2017
    spankybus said:
    Then they build an office in one of the most expensive cities in the US...custom-made office....quite the savings, I'm sure,  Bravo
    The most expensive area to setup a game development office is not LA, it's Austin.

The talent there is incredibly expensive, so since they re-organized studios in 2015 the PU development was driven away from Austin, focusing ranks mostly on UK from what I can tell.

(becomes way cheaper in UK than the cost in US , the UK studio is bigger than both of the US studios)

Talonsin said:
    Talent doesn't come fly by the door when you open one office, you'll have to open offices where the talent is, or deal with a slow growth.
    ErillionExcession
    edited August 2017
    spankybus said:
    Erillion said:

Talonsin said:

Have fun
    I guess that is the reason why this is one of the smallest of the 4 studios. Something like five times smaller than the UK office.

I also guess that moving talent (and their families, including households) from UK and Germany to the US would not have been exactly cheap too. Not that a lot of them would have done that voluntarily anyway these days.

Have fun
    MykelMarkExcession
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Erillion said:
    sgel said:
    Erillion said:

OG_Zorvan said:

LeFantome said:

Have fun
    I cannot remember that i told this person anything on how to spend HIS/HER money ... help me out and point me to that post ... thank you very much.

I fail to see your reasoning. Just because you haven't said something, that means that noone can say that to you? Are we in kindergarten?
    Again, if you can't handle criticism, stop posting in a public forum.

And one or two posts on a niche forum does not equal "public opinion" when we are looking at close to 1.9 million people interested in Star Citizen
    (current number of "Star Citizens" = 1.861.451)

It's still public opinion. 
    Also you know that 1.9 million doesn't mean individual players. Please stop posting misinformation.

I have also missed the point where calling other people "idiots" has become acceptable on public forums. But maybe that is a recent US thing.

Why are you asking me? I didn't call anyone an idiot.

ExcessionMaxBaconKefo

..Cake..

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    cant wait to see this in 2020!

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • kikoodutroa8kikoodutroa8 Member RarePosts: 565
    I want to farm lols too!
    Excession
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    At this point, they should just change the name from Star Citizen to Feature Creep.
    ShadowStyleB

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.