Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Frozen North is a Great Expansion to the Game - Conan Exiles Columns

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe Frozen North is a Great Expansion to the Game - Conan Exiles Columns

Robert E. Howard captured an amazing world with Hyboria. Conan was the main character, but the backdrop of the world he lived in, really breathed along with him. In Conan Exiles the team at Funcom picked up that breath and turned it to frost. The Frozen North is a fantastic expansion to Exiles and one that continues to capture Howard’s vision. Here is a breakdown of what to expect and how the game plays.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    first?

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Tokken said:
    first?
    First of Her Name, the Unburnt, Queen of the Andals and the First Men, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Breaker of Chains, and Mother of Dragons
    MurmaiderMange1WaanlaxieMajmTokkenwekyLazarus71ValentinaWizGamerand 1 other.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Yes but a lot of the performance issues are likely due to "Denuvo" as there are many games such as "Rime" which the developers claim removal of Denuvo increased the games performance and resolved many issues.

Why doesn't FunCom just remove this crap because its an online game there is no need for this.
    RexKushmanExcession
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Wow, that was quick, how can you make a good review when you played 2 or 3 hours ?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

LeFantome said:

Wow, that was quick, how can you make a good review when you played 2 or 3 hours ?

Doesn't say it's a "review" and comes across as first thoughts.
    LeFantome

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Renoaku said:

Yes but a lot of the performance issues are likely due to "Denuvo" as there are many games such as "Rime" which the developers claim removal of Denuvo increased the games performance and resolved many issues.

Why doesn't FunCom just remove this crap because its an online game there is no need for this.

I have had no performance issues.
    Kyleranpantaro
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610
    Yeah, that's a lie Sovrath. Every person I've played with.. and I have hundreds of hours of gameplay to speak from, has had some performance issues, regardless of what machine they run. Even from the smallest hitch, due to a large player built structure is a performance issue.

And it really doesn't matter since your experience is always going to differ, and is never the end all, be all. So, telling people you had no performance issue means absolutely nothing. You are not everyone.
    KyleranVerenath
    DAS1337 said:
    Yeah, that's a lie Sovrath. Every person I've played with.. and I have hundreds of hours of gameplay to speak from, has had some performance issues, regardless of what machine they run. Even from the smallest hitch, due to a large player built structure is a performance issue.

And it really doesn't matter since your experience is always going to differ, and is never the end all, be all. So, telling people you had no performance issue means absolutely nothing. You are not everyone.
    What I need to record myself?

Now, we had a small server of people so perhaps it's numbers that's causing you issues. But it's certianly not "Denuvo" as I've had no issues.

HIs statement is that "Denuvo" is causing server issues. I have had none so I highly doubt that people who are having server issues are having them because of Denuvo. Unless you have proof otherwise.

So no lies.
    [Deleted User]KyleranVerenathpantaro

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Elidien said:
    I will qualify this statement in agreement with @Sovrath.

I have not had any major performance issues in Conan Exiles that I do not experience in other games. Sure there are FPS slow-ups and points in the map that do not run as smooth but nothing out of the ordinary. The game runs better than some games that have "released".
    Thanks Elidien, that's pretty much what I'm saying.

Though I haven't really had any fps issues (I've got a decent computer) that I can remember unlike Dark and Light where I get some slowing in the town. Which I actually didn't get when the game first launched.
    Verenath

• JorendoJorendo Member UncommonPosts: 275

Elidien said:

I will qualify this statement in agreement with @Sovrath.

I have not had any major performance issues in Conan Exiles that I do not experience in other games. Sure there are FPS slow-ups and points in the map that do not run as smooth but nothing out of the ordinary. The game runs better than some games that have "released".

Same here, i rented my own server so not playing on the public ones. We had only a few players but we build some massive cities and structures (some people have to much time on their hands ;) ). All i had was some frame drops when loading those cities for the first time, but that was about it. Sure some places didn't run smooth but come on it's a early access game, why do people keep expecting games in a early stage to run perfectly smooth? All in all for a early access game i thought it was a pretty smooth experience.

That said, depending on your hardware it may vary. Weren't there issues with AMD cards and such? And i have no idea how my pc will hold up on a full server with a crap ton of buildings.
    Sovrath
  • volttvoltt Member UncommonPosts: 432
    edited August 2017

Renoaku said:

Omg give it a break already you throw out that denuvo shit like every post just like u post on albion online forums here about rmt cause you got caught for it
    Post edited by voltt on
    zigalucardRexKushman
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692

Kyleran said:

LeFantome said:

Doesn't say it's a "review" and comes across as first thoughts.

Good point. +1

• esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    As someone who has been primarily playing Conan since it's release (With Fortnite thrown in the mix recently, and I prefer MMORPGs, go figure) this update annoys me to no end. Our server had a map and inventory wipe, so I started off at level 43 with no inventory, but kept my stats and crafting recipes.

You can go from fine to dying from heat frustration in a minute . . . at night . . . take one step back and recover in 30 seconds.

Common creatures can interrupt continuously, attacking faster and with excellent range, more than most weapons are capable of, making most weapons inferior.

The changes they made to combat did not make it better or more interesting, in fact the opposite.

The new AI for human NPCs is supposedly better, but they still can't attack above their shoulder height, so stand on a rock and they will happily stand there while you stab them in the head.

I ran across a spider in the lowish area that I had to stab with a decent spear at least 15 times while it unloaded about 100 litres of venom rapid fire and gave pitiful resources. These spiders are made even worse by the choice they made to auto sheath weapons while running. The spiders speedily back away from you to stay at range while their venom has has a cripple effect.

Basically this team doesn't seem to have any idea about risk vs reward as they make more of the map and equipment irrelevant with every choice they make. There are clearly superior weapons and armour. Only a limited area of the map will give easy access to the resources required to make that gear, and the dungeons aren't worth visiting more than once.

Kyleranlaseritepoqbunzaga
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Renoaku said:

Do you have any non-Denuvo related comments you'd like to share or can we safely assume you're a broken record at this point?
    volttzigalucard

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    DAS1337 said:

I didn't have any major performance issues, either.  I haven't played in a few months so things may have changed but to call someone a lair for reporting their experience is uncalled for and makes you look incredibly childish.

And it really doesn't matter since your experience is always going to differ, and is never the end all, be all. So, telling people you HAD performance issues means absolutely nothing. You are not everyone.

zigalucardSovrathRexKushman

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• bunzagabunzaga Member UncommonPosts: 36

As someone who has been primarily playing Conan since it's release (With Fortnite thrown in the mix recently, and I prefer MMORPGs, go figure) this update annoys me to no end. Our server had a map and inventory wipe, so I started off at level 43 with no inventory, but kept my stats and crafting recipes.

You can go from fine to dying from heat frustration in a minute . . . at night . . . take one step back and recover in 30 seconds.

Common creatures can interrupt continuously, attacking faster and with excellent range, more than most weapons are capable of, making most weapons inferior.

The changes they made to combat did not make it better or more interesting, in fact the opposite.

The new AI for human NPCs is supposedly better, but they still can't attack above their shoulder height, so stand on a rock and they will happily stand there while you stab them in the head.

I ran across a spider in the lowish area that I had to stab with a decent spear at least 15 times while it unloaded about 100 litres of venom rapid fire and gave pitiful resources. These spiders are made even worse by the choice they made to auto sheath weapons while running. The spiders speedily back away from you to stay at range while their venom has has a cripple effect.

Basically this team doesn't seem to have any idea about risk vs reward as they make more of the map and equipment irrelevant with every choice they make. There are clearly superior weapons and armour. Only a limited area of the map will give easy access to the resources required to make that gear, and the dungeons aren't worth visiting more than once.

As someone who has spent over 200 hours in this game, I agree with this post 100%. The developers spent all this time developing a worthless mechanic that breaks the entire game (climbing). High end resources aren't worth using, since they cost so much time gathering to repair them, and the knock down mechanic with 2h hammer is just broken.

Don't waste your time on this game, don't waste your money on this game; it isn't worth it.
    LeFantome
  • RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584
    How do you make an "expansion" to an Alpha game? Isn't this a patch? Funcom logic I guess - they probably tried to find loopholes how to charge for this too.
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Rawiz said:
    How do you make an "expansion" to an Alpha game? Isn't this a patch? Funcom logic I guess - they probably tried to find loopholes how to charge for this too.
       erhmmm   *cough*   *cough*   " it was a free update "    
  • esc-joconnoresc-joconnor Member RarePosts: 1,097
    Rawiz said:
    Well, that isn't wrong, it expands on the game, it is therefor an expansion. You are thinking of Expacs, which are Expansion Packs, those are the things sold to expand existing games. Hyping that it is free is a bit cheesy, but if they hadn't said it was free people would have asked if it cost anything. Can't please all of the people all of the time.
  • strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    So this is Funcom's latest cash grab eh? I let my self get swindled with the secret world relaunch. No thanks on this. I can't believe this company still operates considering how badly they have mismanaged ALL of their IP's.