Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GoG Introduces Pinata Madness - Loot Crates by Another Name? - MMORPG.com News

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageGoG Introduces Pinata Madness - Loot Crates by Another Name? - MMORPG.com News

In light of recent discussions surrounding the always hot topic of "loot crates", it is interesting to note that GoG.com is running its 2017 Pinata Madness event. Essentially, you spend $3 and get a pinata prize of a random game worth anywhere from $6 to $45. In addition to the "surprise" game, buyers will also get "exceptional deals on some of our favorite hand-picked titles". The promotion runs from now through August 21st.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited August 2017
    I love GoG, I really do. That said, I don't like this a bit. However, I'm also wise enough with my money that I simply won't buy the pinatas. 1) It's for fun and convenience only and I'm largely immune to the gambling mentality; and 2) I honestly don't need any more games in my backlog of un- or little-played titles.

toomuch4212[Deleted User]acidblood

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ShaiapoufShaiapouf Member UncommonPosts: 53
    Tried it out for curiosities sake and nabbed 2 pinatas. Got STALKER (Which I had on Steam) and Little Big Adventure 2 (Roughly zero interest). It comes to luck and all, and I technically spent that much on a convenience store run the other day, but damn if it doesn't feel disappointing anyway. Yet if I spend any more, I might as well just buy one of the games I actually want.
    SBFordSovrath
  • toomuch4212toomuch4212 Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Reminds me of what they do at greenman gaming with their loot boxes. Was always tempted. But I feel like GoG will at least have a bit more value across the board with less "top tier" new AAA titles but a better chance at something good at least. Idk though who knows. Maybe I will try a few just to see...
    [Deleted User]
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    It's a bit mean, but I really hope this fails as an event. There is just way too much gambling going on in gaming lately, and it's very disappointing to see GoG sink to such low levels.
    Asm0deusSBFord
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I'm against lootboxes since the start, and with games I'm pretty nitpicky about what to buy and what to play so pinata is not for me - but I don't find this version that bad as others say :smiley:
    Or more precisely I can accept the drive behind it, since the goal is that if you don't have anything on your palate right now, and want to play something, you get a random game which is not in your library yet. (and that's why I'm not interested, I only pay for games I like, and I don't want to congest up my library with random, unwanted stuff)

Not entirely random either, has only a list of games, minus those you already have, and gives a bit higher chanche for those on your wishlist (at least last time did, now I don't see that part on the FAQ). And like last time people gathering up the list on the go, in this thread https://www.gog.com/forum/general/pinata_tracker/page1  so you can check beforehand (based on your library) is it worth it to get one or not.

For those like me, who don't want the RNG in their game selection, there's a sale on a few games during pinata days. And the free Deadlight if you don't have it already.
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    The concept of "Lootboxes" is here to stay.

They have been proven to be good money spinners, and as long as people keep buying them, they will be expanded and refined and inserted into every corner of the gaming space.
    KyleranSBFord
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    My issue with lootboxes is not the gambling part but the shop/f2p part, because that is what ruins game experiences and creating one sided game designs. So with that in mind, this GoG gambling that is outside of the actual games cannot be compared to lootboxes.
    lahnmir
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited August 2017
    I was updating my wish list on GOG last evening and the first few times I went back to the store home page I kept thinking the big pinata advert was referencing Fortnite and thought it was unusual for that game to be available on GOG.

Took a while before I realized it was for games on the site, but still I thought, ripped off from Fortnite's pinata system.

Guess there's a shortage of good names for loot boxes? 

Didn't even consider buying one, however I did buy two of my wish list games which were at a huge discount vs Steam, one was $2.99 (vs $19.99) and another was $17.99 (vs $34.99)
    SBFord

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I don't mind lootboxes per se. My sister and I usually save them and then open them together. It's quite fun to take turns and see what each one of us is going to get.

In this case though, I wonder what value you are actually getting. You are getting a $6+ value on a $3 purchase, but that's presumably the original non-sale price. A game can cost $10, which would seem like a bargain for $3, but no one claims you can't get the same game for $2 in previous (or future) discount sales.

If the $6+ value was based on a lowest ever sale price, I'd say it's fair. As it stands now, I doubt that's the case.
    [Deleted User]
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    So if a person can't receive duplicates and buys 1 million lootboxes they will in theory own every game and save lots of money without duplicates?
  • AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Renoaku said:
    So if a person can't receive duplicates and buys 1 million lootboxes they will in theory own every game and save lots of money without duplicates?
    Just don't buy 1 million at once.  If you read the details of their system you could get a repeat if you own all and then you will be able to gift it.  You will get a warning but I think if you buy them all in one cart you won't get that warning. . something like that.

I suppose the idea might work though.  I saw a few people post what they got.  I think they figured. . I will spend $60 like I would on an AAA game and I should get at least one. . not so much :)  Or the one poor guy got games I would have liked but he hated them.  

For me this is just like EA titles. . by not buying in EA (unless I can't resist)  I will save so much money on duds that I can afford to buy the good ones once they release.  Just buy the ones you want on sale :)  It isoo tempting.  I did the Greenman ones once when they were on sale and got one decent game.  

I suppose I also tried some other games that I would not have played. . but way better to spend $12 a month on the humble bundle. . that is my gamble and it has always been well worth it.  
    [Deleted User]

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!