Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PcInvasion chimes in about the removal of production schedule dates

Comments

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    >>> As for Squadron 42? Well, that could be next year, in two years time, or when we’re flying our own real spaceships. >>>

Yep, a true journalistic masterpiece.

Have fun
    PhaserlightExcessionKyleran[Deleted User]Vikingirbartoni33TaneonMaxBacon
  • ExcessionExcession Member RarePosts: 709
    Someone write's about SC, and since it is not a puff piece, look what happens, Erillion jumps right into defence mode.
    MaxBaconSirBalinAzaron_NightbladeVikingirbartoni33forcelimaWalkinGlennJemAs666Kefo

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited August 2017
    Excession said:
    Someone write's about SC, and since it is not a puff piece, look what happens, Erillion jumps right into defence mode.
    Nope. I just think that THIS particular journalist is a bad writer. A personal opinion.

There have been others that are critical of Star Citizen. I may not share their opinion, but at least they did a good job in putting together their articles and the stories from various sides.

Have fun
    GdemamiExcessionKyleranFlyByKnightWraithoneTheScavenger
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited August 2017

That was weird to read, it starts normally then it derails, the author should look at how proper media outlets reported the same thing and take some lessons on journalism.

Some quotes there showing the sided writing as "assuming no “critical” bugs in the venue’s foundations crop up that cause the building to collapse."  and the writing in the first person "I" and "I Think".

One pretty big miss at fact-checking:  "Compared to last week’s chart, a total of seven bugs were resolved". Look at the graph, 45 issues were resolved, and 32 were created. That's a NET difference of 13. The info graphic with the data is literally right above that line!

Unproper reporting, but who cares, they're a small website that gets a decent amount of attention when they post stuff as this on SC.

Post edited by MaxBacon on
    ExcessionGdemamiKyleranWraithone
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited August 2017
    MaxBacon said:

That was weird to read, the author should look at how proper media outlets reported the same thing and take some lessons on journalism.

Some quotes there showing the sided writing with quotes like "assuming no “critical” bugs in the venue’s foundations crop up that cause the building to collapse."  and the writing in the first person "I" and "I Think", makes the article tough to read.

A side of that, the pretty big miss at fact-checking:  "Compared to last week’s chart, a total of seven bugs were resolved". Look at the graph, 45 issues were resolved, and 32 were created. That's a NET difference of 13. The info graphic with the data is literally right above that line!

Low effort right there, but who cares? PC invasion is a small website and seeing from their articles they attention when they make negative/controversial articles like this on SC  <(not joking).

All true but then you have the big websites who also push a narrative or also make amateur mistakes, the most common one being 1.8 million backers, clearly not doing their due diligence either. Gamestar, PCGamer, Dualshockers, Polygon, Eurogamer and more are all guilty of this.

ExcessionKefo
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited August 2017
    I recommend the zealots spend more time addressing the reasons behind the continuing delays, what is being changed to address them  and less about picking apart minor points in the author's article  

Btw, burn down schedules can be useful tools assuming the team has a very solid understanding of what factors determine and impact the burn rate itself and can adjust accordingly. 

Let's see how it goes the rest of the year 
    MaxBaconExcessionbartoni33forcelima

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited August 2017
    Kyleran said:
    I recommend the zealots spend more time addressing the reasons behind the continuing delays, what is being changed to address them  and less about picking apart minor points in the author's article  
    It's all there: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

No conspiracies needed, they admit to the problems they are facing and describe them, you'll see notes as the performance one of the biggest things to resolve: "Player Count & General Stability Currently, performance and stability drop sharply once the active players in a server reach 12-15 players."
    ExcessionKyleranVikingirWraithone
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    The best part of the whole article:
    "The bottom line is, CIG needs to start delivering and this 3.0 update completed as fast as possible and out to backers."

That really is the bottom line. Despite horrible grammatical errors this really is a big deal. As a project matures, the expectation should be that estimates get better. Without even entertaining the hilariousness of people asking about the 2014 release date, what is ACTUALLY troubling on this project is major project setbacks when working with short deadlines. As a project progresses, we should actually get better at estimating dates, major technical risks should be lessened, and there should be more confidence. Furthermore, it should be relatively easy for me to tell you what I will be delivering to you next week. So what's more troubling than the 2014 release date is the current scheduling gaffs, like telling users multiple times that X is weeks away and then having it slip for weeks or months. Then again, could they get away with releasing something shitty or buggy? Sometimes it's just better to release what you have and apologize for it and patch the fuck out of it. In this case, I don't know. I feel like they need to have everything be polished. Tough call, but the original statement isn't untrue. 
    bartoni33

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited August 2017
    Kyleran said:

They can't.

Actually, no, they can, but they will not, as they do not want to admit it is a problem.

So when anything is said that is negative, but true, they attack how it is said, and who it is saying it, instead of what is said.
    MaxBaconTheScavengerKefo

A creative person is motivated by the desire to achieve, not the desire to beat others.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    Erillion said:
    Excession said:
    Nope. I just think that THIS particular journalist is a bad writer. A personal opinion.

There have been others that are critical of Star Citizen. I may not share their opinion, but at least they did a good job in putting together their articles and the stories from various sides.

Have fun
    He used direct quotes from CIG responding to concerned backers.

You have an issue with his opinionon the situation.  He didn't leave out CIG's statements on the changes here.  So sorry, but Excession's assessment seems accurate.
    Excession

Excession said:
    They can't.

Actually, no, they can, but they will not, as they do not want to actually admit it is a problem.

So when anything is said that is negative, but true, they attack how it is said, not what is said.
    You really can't help yourself... The delays of 3.0 are disappointing but if it's not releasable yet, then it's not. If it was ready then it would be out, it's a no-brainer.

They are reporting, they are explaining the issues, they are going as far as posting weekly changelogs in that production report. 

GdemamiExcessionWraithone
    edited August 2017
    CrazKanuk said:
    Sometimes it's just better to release what you have and apologize for it and patch the fuck out of it. In this case, I don't know. I feel like they need to have everything be polished. 
    You don't really believe they could afford to have a dejavu of 2.0 with 3.0, now don't you?

It's obvious there's a high expectation, so no surprise they are playing defensive because there's no way they don't know they can't afford to give on 3.0 to the backers with the stability and performance of 2.0.

The pressure to deliver will accumulate with the pressure of the expectation that lies on that release, rush it independent of its state would have worse consequences than the backlash they get from delays.
    GdemamiExcessionCrazKanukKyleran[Deleted User]Wraithone
    MaxBacon said:
    Excession said:
    They can't.

Actually, no, they can, but they will not, as they do not want to actually admit it is a problem.

So when anything is said that is negative, but true, they attack how it is said, not what is said.
    You really can't help yourself... The delays of 3.0 are disappointing but if it's not releasable yet, then it's not. If it was ready then it would be out, it's a no-brainer.

They are reporting, they are explaining the issues, they are going as far as posting weekly changelogs in that production report. 

Can't help myself? in what way? thank's for proving my point by the way.

The delay's are not what is disappointing, delay's in game dev, especially MMO related games, are par for the course, what is disappointing is how mismanaged SC is.

And before you post denying it is mismanaged, do everyone a favour, just dont.

How many time's does CR need to state something will be ready and released by a certain date, only to have that something prove to be no where near ready, before you admit he is the poster child for mismanagement?
    MaxBaconVikingirbartoni33TheScavengerDakeru

edited August 2017
    Excession said:

The delay's are not what is disappointing, delay's in game dev, especially MMO related games, are par for the course, what is disappointing is how mismanaged SC is.

Ridiculous post of yours.

You are posting YOUR OPINION, don't come enforce it as facts I need to accept because they are not, we are talking about the schedule itself, not CR, as this is about the production report itself, reporting what is ongoing with the production for the 3.0 build and its status since it was published.
    Excession
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    Erillion said:
    >>> As for Squadron 42? Well, that could be next year, in two years time, or when we’re flying our own real spaceships. >>>

Yep, a true journalistic masterpiece.

Have fun
    To be honest i was expecting SQ42 to be on the horizon by now. However there is absolute no sight of it.

I anticipated a long development period for the PU. But for the single player, story driven aspect of the game i believe that almost 5 years of development are more than enough to deliver a finished product no matter how much you're about to push the technical boundaries.

Let's hope that CitizenCon in October will bear some good news for SQ42. And for me good news regarding SQ42 qualify only the ones designating a release date.
    ExcessionKyleran[Deleted User]bartoni33Kefo
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    MaxBacon said:
    Kyleran said:
    It's all there: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

No conspiracies needed, they admit to the problems they are facing and describe them, you'll see notes as the performance one of the biggest things to resolve: "Player Count & General Stability Currently, performance and stability drop sharply once the active players in a server reach 12-15 players."
    In other words, pretty much where they were in May.

Look, I'm hoping they pull this game off because it looks (on paper) like it would be awesome to play.  However, there are some physical realities that aren't going to change no matter how much pie-in-the-sky CR & Co push out to the masses; there is only so much fiber-optic cable in the ground: depending on how much data each character occupies, you may not see much more than 20 per instance in the final product.

I was waved away last time with 'but... Dual Universe and Life is Feudal!'.  That's great, but... neither of those are really in a released state, either (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)?

The point is, from my limited understanding when designing a MMO you should be thinking about the network from the very beginning, not 5 years in when suddenly your creative director decides 'by the way we need to make all of this scale'.

Here's hoping CIG has some real magic up their sleeves.
    Excessionbartoni33

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    MaxBacon said:
    CrazKanuk said:
    Sometimes it's just better to release what you have and apologize for it and patch the fuck out of it. In this case, I don't know. I feel like they need to have everything be polished. 
    You don't really believe they could afford to have a dejavu of 2.0 with 3.0, now don't you?

It's obvious there's a high expectation, so no surprise they are playing defensive because there's no way they don't know they can't afford to give on 3.0 to the backers with the stability and performance of 2.0.

The pressure to deliver will accumulate with the pressure of the expectation that lies on that release, rush it independent of its state would have worse consequences than the backlash they get from delays.
    If they really wanted to be open they would have two delivery tracks, the stable and the experimental. Stable would be the releases much like we see now, the experimental would follow sprint iterations or just plain daily builds.

Of course that would prevent them from lying through their teeth about the actual progress, so there is that...
    ExcessionMaxBaconKefo
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    MaxBacon said:
    CrazKanuk said:

No I definitely don't think they could afford to have a dejavu 2.0 with 3.0. 

I could care less if it took until 2020, myself, but I doubt that others who are more significantly invested would be so forgiving. 
    MaxBacon[Deleted User]

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

edited August 2017
    hfztt said:
    If they really wanted to be open they would have two delivery tracks, the stable and the experimental. Stable would be the releases much like we see now, the experimental would follow sprint iterations or just plain daily builds.

Of course that would prevent them from lying through their teeth about the actual progress, so there is that...
    That would be insane, daily builds are often broken.

It would incredibly costly in resources, in live-ops, in the developers themselves to get builds out to the backers; the QA themselves that tests those builds have to run them via command lines, like when the 3.0 build had no UI until they implemented the new one. Even when gamestar had hands-on a 3.0 build, they had to use the command line to teleport because the elevators were broken, by no logical thinking should they ever give those builds to the players.

That argument of yours is a non-argument. 
    Excession
    MaxBacon said:
    Excession said:

You are posting YOUR OPINION, don't come enforce it as facts I need to accept because they are not, we are talking about the schedule itself, not CR, as this is about the production report itself, reporting what is ongoing with the production for the 3.0 build and its status since it was published.
    Again, thank you for proving my point.

CR is the boss, he is in charge, of everything.

There are plenty of statements around the web from various people that have worked with him, that talk about how he likes to micromanage everything, has to have the last say about everything, has to have final approval of everything.

You say it is not about CR, but about the schedule itself.

Do you think the tea lady suddenly decided to write a schedule, set deadlines for dev work, and publish a public version of that schedule?

Of course not, CR set the deadlines, CR gave the go ahead for the schedule to be made public, CR is responsible for all of it.

That includes the missed deadlines, delays, and mismanagement.
    MaxBaconKefoEpicJohnsonTheScavenger

Look, I'm hoping they pull this game off because it looks (on paper) like it would be awesome to play.  However, there are some physical realities that aren't going to change no matter how much pie-in-the-sky CR & Co push out to the masses; there is only so much fiber-optic cable in the ground: depending on how much data each character occupies, you may not see much more than 20 per instance in the final product.

I was waved away last time with 'but... Dual Universe and Life is Feudal!'.  That's great, but... neither of those are really in a released state, either (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong)?

The point is, from my limited understanding when designing a MMO you should be thinking about the network from the very beginning, not 5 years in when suddenly your creative director decides 'by the way we need to make all of this scale'.

LiF already has a working network setup as we talked before. This is stuff that takes a long time, because the network engineers here are not only working on this, they have to support every part of the game, the serialization, the refactors, the object containers, the network culling, it's not about something hard to achieve but it's a slow progress, I think the servers still struggle in 3.0 mostly because they had to cut network culling from the release, hence all updates are sent to all players back and forth independent of where they are; things that they obviously need to work out, the question was there was no way that would be ready by 3.0 and it was cut early on.

The problem I think is, that they started fully focused in the SP Campaign, things like netcode and so forth were never properly undertaken early on and MMO-specific development started to be the focus after the 2.0 release during 2016.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    MaxBacon said:
    Excession said:

His opinion is shared by many on here and other websites that CR is mismanaging this project badly. Just because you don't like it doesn't make it any less true.

And chances are if the head honcho is fucking up the management of the project that badly then it's going to trickle down into other aspects.

Not surprisingly CR is making the same mistakes he did with his last game studio only this time the fans get to foot the bill of his fuckups. Maybe CR was so anti publisher because he knew no publisher would give him money since he's such a liability and so created the rhetoric that publishers are evil!!
    ExcessionMaxBacon
    edited August 2017
    CrazKanuk said:

I could care less if it took until 2020, myself, but I doubt that others who are more significantly invested would be so forgiving. 

It's frustrating but end of the day it's just what it is, we can be disappointed on the time it takes but the way I see it would be worse if they just throw it out to the backers in the state of 2.0 by giving in to the pressure to deliver.

Excession said:

I'm just proving your points in your imagination. Again, you are speculating and throwing opinions.

You are delusional if you think it is CR who is making the internal estimates for the work that is scoped out per feature in-dev and not the producers (being that their job y'know). lol
    ExcessionVikingir
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    MaxBacon said:
    CrazKanuk said:

It's frustrating but end of the day it's just what it is, we can be disappointed on the time it takes but the way I see it would be worse if they just throw it out to the backers in the state of 2.0 by giving in to the pressure to deliver.

Excession said:

I'm just proving your points in your imagination. Again, you are speculating and throwing opinions.

You are delusional if you think it is CR who is making the internal estimates for the work that is scoped out per feature in-dev and not the producers (being that their job y'know). lol
    And CR is their boss. If they are missing that many deadlines and there are that many delays then CR should be sitting them down and having a discussion with them. 

If I keep missing my estimates and delaying everyone you can be damn sure my boss is going to be coming to me to figure out what the hell is going on.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    MaxBacon said:

LiF already has a working network setup as we talked before. This is stuff that takes a long time, because the network engineers here are not only working on this, they have to support every part of the game, the serialization, the refactors, the object containers, the network culling, it's not about something hard to achieve but it's a slow progress, I think the servers still struggle in 3.0 mostly because they had to cut network culling from the release, hence all updates are sent to all players back and forth independent of where they are; things that they obviously need to work out, the question was there was no way that would be ready by 3.0 and it was cut early on.

The problem I think is, that they started fully focused in the SP Campaign, things like netcode and so forth were never properly undertaken early on and MMO-specific development started to be the focus after the 2.0 release during 2016.

As far as I know, LiF has 2 versions: single player and private server.  In other words, a peer-to-peer architecture.  Is this what CIG is aiming for in their "MMO"?  I'm assuming you're aware there are many reasons the vast majority of MMOGs do not allow private servers.

In a different thread around the same time you linked to a nebulous picture which seemed to imply CIG was doing something with grid computing (an idea that has been around since the early 90's).  I'm assuming this is what you mean by "a working network setup as we talked before".

To my knowledge, most MMORPGs do something like this; if you have more players going to a certain area, you devote more computing resources to that area.

This doesn't necessarily solve the network issue; if each character takes up too much data (i.e. everything from 'I am carrying an assault rifle with 12 bullets' to 'my right arm is damaged')... there are different ways of tackling this, but it often leaves things open to hacking or stability issues, the latter of which it seems CIG is running into.

...in other words, you have faith that CIG are going to solve this problem, and I the skeptic am saying some of the best minds in gaming have tackled this problem over the past decades and certain sacrifices have to be made.  That's the problem as I see it; CR doesn't jibe well with sacrifice, which is how you end up with a game stuck in development hell.
    Kefo

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance