Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

whats the best free MMORPG out now?

ScoliozScolioz Member UncommonPosts: 110
with great graphics...  black desert sucks

Comments

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Probably GW2. Base game is free.
    Loke666BitterClingeriGumballStarsumdumguy1psychosiz1Laedermasken

..Cake..

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Elder Scrolls Online is buy to play but free afterwards. It's probably the best one if you don't want to put any money in after your initial purchase.

Personal preference though. It's not my favorite game ever but I enjoyed it considerably more than Guild Wars 2.
    blorpykinssumdumguy1psychosiz1Octagon7711
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Currently, LOTRO for its world design and quality of writing.
    aliven

REALITY CHECK

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    DMKano said:
    Best game = 100% subjective

Kind of like asking for best dessert.

Find something you like and enjoy that, the secret is to keep trying stuff yourself, until you find the one that suits you.

When asking this on the forums - every game is best to someone, so eventually given enough players - all games will be listed as best. (exact same thing happens with "worst" game questions)
    Very often the same game will be rated as both "best" and "worst", usually based on personal preference and not actual quality.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Eldurian said:
    Elder Scrolls Online is buy to play but free afterwards. It's probably the best one if you don't want to put any money in after your initial purchase.

Personal preference though. It's not my favorite game ever but I enjoyed it considerably more than Guild Wars 2.
    I was the exact opposite. I tried very hard to like ESO but just couldn't click with it.
    I found the leveling extremely boring and I disliked the combat.
    I bought it, even payed a sub for a while but just couldn't enjoy it.
    Might try it again sometime.

GW2 I still play casually after 4+ years.
    I like that I can take breaks from the game and it's so easy to get back into it.
    I also think it has the most variety in content from other mmos I've tried (bar EvE).

sumdumguy1Laedermasken

..Cake..

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited August 2017
    Yep totally subjective but i don't rate games like other people,i rate them based on individual systems and how they compare to each other and what is unique or lacking from to another and imo EQ2 is the best option out there at least considering under NORMAL circumstances.

I play my fave FFXI for free and imo has the best overall combat because classes are so well designed and you get to mix and match them all on the same player.However that is why i said EQ2 based on overall scoring not just on biased thinking.I also ASSUME a person wants somewhat of a challenge,wants to think a bit and wants immersion not all FAKE non plausible stuff.

Basically speaking,i rate games based on a gamer who truly wants a mmo+role playing game and not just some connect the dots,speed leveling end game nonsense.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    Eldurian said:

It still blows my mind how many confuse buy to play with free...Buy to play means you have to pay for it...it isnt free....how many times do we have to say that?
    sumdumguy1LaedermaskenMitara
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    sgel said:
    Eldurian said:

I was the exact opposite. I tried very hard to like ESO but just couldn't click with it.

I like that I can take breaks from the game and it's so easy to get back into it.
    I also think it has the most variety in content from other mmos I've tried (bar EvE).

Agreed with everything said.
    psychosiz1LaedermaskenHuntrezz
    Eldurian said:

It still blows my mind how many confuse buy to play with free...Buy to play means you have to pay for it...it isnt free....how many times do we have to say that?
    It's really about how cheap you are. A recurring subscription of 15$ adds up to 180$ a year. You're looking at about 20$ to buy the original ESO on Amazon. It essentially functions exactly like a fully F2P title afterwards.

So in my head they can both be lumped into the category of "Games that are insanely cheap that I don't have to play a certain amount to get my money's worth each month." Figured I would float it out there incase 20$ for a one time purchase isn't a big deal to the OP.
    psychosiz1
    sgel said:
    Eldurian said:

I also think it has the most variety in content from other mmos I've tried (bar EvE)
    To me it came down to the fact that in ESO I chose every ability and then from 2 different versions of those abilities. In GW2 picking my weapons did half my abilities for me.

I'd rather have less abilities I have full control over, than more abilities that are chosen for me. Going with such a system was a slap in the face to the original Guild Wars, while ESO had a system actually befitting of a Guild Wars 2. 

Having so much of my customization robbed from me ultimately made GW2 a game I didn't enjoy enough to log in again the day after I bought it. I just couldn't force myself to enjoy it.
  • Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    LOTRO easily

psychosiz1Mitara
  • inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    LOTOR is F2P, but the cost to get around and enjoy the game is INSANE and ruins the game!
    psychosiz1Mexenlives

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789
    In my opinion, there is no FREE MMO out there worth spending much time with. That includes those listed above.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    LOTOR is F2P, but the cost to get around and enjoy the game is INSANE and ruins the game!

not even close , but ok.
    psychosiz1Mitara
    edited August 2017
    LOTRO was kind of fun back in the day but I could never get back into it after the first time they bumped the level cap. Kind of dated these days. I have a lifetime sub and I haven't touched it in 5 years. XD

If I ever come back I am going to have so many cash shop points to spend. XD
    Mitara
  • SourajitSourajit Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Project Gorgon , is not ready , however free to play , too much to do , i enjoy it all the time ...

Cheers
    Sourajit Nandi

" Don't listen to anyone who tells you that you can't play this or that. That's nonsense. Make up your mind,and you'll never whine or repent about gaming hours anymore, then have a go at every Game. Open up the Internet, join in all the Mmorpgs you can. Go make the Guild. But never, never let them persuade you that things are too difficult or impossible. "

Once An Addict Always An Addict .

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Eldurian said:

How is that free? It is a good game but not what OP asked for. And almost all my friends who still play pay that optional fee so OP might very well feel needed to do it as well if he starts play it seriously. Yeah, it is not a must but still.

Nah, GW2s base game is the best you can get for nothing and even there many people do tend to buy HoT eventually, and if PoF is better (as it seems at least) it is not unlikely even more will buy it.

No dev make a free game without trying at least to sell something. In some games you can do just fine without, in most you more or less must pay eventually or change to something else.
    psychosiz1Laedermasken
    edited August 2017
    There is a reason I said "Elder Scrolls Online is buy to play but free to play afterwards."

I at least consider the initial cost of buy-to-play games to be insubstantial so I lump them in with F2P games for my own purchasing habits. 

I guess it's highly subjective based on how often you purchase new games. I mainly cycle through older games so it's not an issue to me to pay an upfront cost when I purchase a new game but sub fees add up.
    Mitara
  • LithuanianLithuanian Member UncommonPosts: 540
    There is no best mmo. There is no worst mmo. There is no mmo with [insert superlative] option.
    It is only mmo that suits me/you best or worst.
    My two cents about best free mmos:

1. Lord of the rings online. Just great and you can buy everything with in-game points
    2. Istaria. Everything free, multischooling
    3. Secret world legends (sometimes does feel like a single-player game though)

Agent_JosephMitara
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    Maybe you should have asked  "Free MMOs you enjoy for me to try"
    ArglebargleMitara
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Sourajit said:
    Project Gorgon , is not ready , however free to play , too much to do , i enjoy it all the time ...
    +1 for Project Gorgon. Really great game if you can handle the graphics (which have been updated since I last played iirc)

..Cake..

• EluwienEluwien Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Scolioz said:
    with great graphics...  black desert sucks

Hi

Guild Wars 2 is easily the best mmorpg atm in terms of amount of content per buck. It's still new and fresh in terms on graphics and mechanics, there is enormous amount of content to be explored. It's suited for solo and small group playing and its only real flaw is totally void-of-feeling PVP. 

Laedermasken

DAoC - 00-06 - And every now and then
    WoW - Online since launch - and now back again.
    EVE - Online since 07 - and still on, and on, and on..
    WHO - Online 08-10
    LOTR-O - Online 06-08
    Also played : Asherons Call, EverQuest, EQ2, Dungeons & Dragons, Cabal, Dark & Light, GW, 
    GW2, LA2, Ryzom, Shaiya, SWG, Allods, Forsaken World, ArcheAge, Secret World, Darkfall, Rift, ESO, Tera.

My issue with a game like Project Gorgon is that even if I choose to suffer through the graphics myself, only so many other people will. That limits the game's community and potential for growth.

More players = more money = more development = the capability to keep up

Gorgon will cap out fast and then die a long slow death. It's sad to say that because it deserves a chance to succeed so much more than than the endless march of Asian MMOs that are all great to decent graphics but really never should have been made (Riders of Icarus, Dragon's Prophet, Revolution etc.)

It's reality though. I would back it if I thought it stood a chance longterm. Sadly... I know it doesn't.

I might try it eventually because it does look kind of cool, but for me it's a game I would play with the understanding it's doomed.
    [Deleted User]
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    edited August 2017
    Eldurian said:

Gorgon will cap out fast and then die a long slow death. It's sad to say that because it deserves a chance to succeed so much more than than the endless march of Asian MMOs that are all great to decent graphics but really never should have been made (Riders of Icarus, Dragon's Prophet, Revolution etc.)

No one "deserves" anything is a free market. If Asian MMOs are successful with large audiences, who are you to say they should not be made?

You want to deprive others' of their fun just because you don't like what they like? What an elitist!

Luckily you are not the dictator to decide what gets made.
    GdemamiAzaron_NightbladeKyleran