Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW2 is the most fun (FOR ME) max level themepark MMO out there

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
First, I actually enjoyed City of Heroes just as much...unlike GW2, CoH was fun the whole game from early to end "level".

However, unlike many MMOs...GW2 is the most fun max level themepark MMO currently out. In WoW, by far the most fun I had was from level 1-110...at 110...suddenly it felt like I was a rat in a maze getting the next (very slightly) bigger piece of cheese and then put back at the start to do it again. However, WoW is amazingly fun to level in, because the story and zones are so amazing.

That is unlike GW2. In GW2, I played (casually, so I was only level 50 or so) for a month and was bored as hell. I kept playing because my real life friend was playing, but...when I was level 39 or 40 (forgot exactly), he used his level 80 boost from HoT expansion. The game again got boring. My friend stopped playing too about 4 months ago, but that isn't because he dislikes the game but because he is in the process of moving so hasn't had PC internet to play (only a mobile phone and a laptop, but his laptop is really old).

However, I bought HoT 3 months ago, after not playing GW2 since my friend played. I used my boost...and wow did the entire game change. I can go EVERYWHERE in the game, so I can do anything I feel like...almost like an open world (not sandbox mind you) style game. I can do any quests, the story, the HoT zones are amazing (to me they are) and even after 3 months the HoT zones still look beautiful. Literally I can never level another character again without boosting it, because the early levels are so boring.

However I think its because you progress so little in terms of skills and character development (have to wait so many levels just to train your first ability to use besides the weapon abilities)...and you are so limited in what you can do early on. Sure in WoW its limiting at level 1, but you progress fast (a lot faster than GW2), and you get rewarded with so many abilities as you level...almost every level is either an ability or talent point. GW2 is not like that at all.

So actually spending (at the time I think it was 50 dollars, its only 30 dollars now) improved GW2 for me by 100%. Before it was boring as hell, now its the most fun I've had in an MMO in a long time. And I've been playing heavily every day for the past 3 months. Its one of the very few I've personally played where the "end level" is actually more fun (or just as level) as the end level is. I don't feel the need to grind or anything, but I can do anything I want at level 80 and I can do so much stories and everything else. The only other MMO I had this much fun in was City of Heroes, but that game was fun from 1 to the end.

And also yes, while I'm not progressing anymore in terms of new abilities ( except masteries/hero points etc)...the game goes from extremely limited to what you can do, to a TON of fun. And I love the HoT areas. Something about leveling in GW2 is boring as hell to me, and while I'm still doing events and what not...I like being able to go everywhere and do anything I want, and experience the story (which you almost can't do leveling, because it gates the story every 10 hours). The complete opposite of WoW where leveling is most fun and endgame is super boring lol.

Did anyone else have the same experience? Or had that same experience in other themepark MMOs? I think the only other one I can kinda think of (but I didn't really like it personally) is FFXIV is extremely boring to level (mostly cause the zones suck and heavily instanced/railroaded designs, and early on combat is slow as hell), but the new expansion area is actually a lot more fun than the base game and the game opens a lot with much better combat as your character develops. But I couldn't get into it even though I gave it a really good chance.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

turin231LaedermaskenAjviSovrath

Comments

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Also to add, since the OP was getting kinda long.

I think the other part of it I find is the grind. I don't like grinding at all as I find it pretty much like a rat in a maze to get cheese...I don't feel grinding is good quality content and feel its very lazy design. And leveling in GW2 feels like a lot of grinding (a lot more than leveling in WoW) to get new abilities or anything new at all. And grinding 10 levels to see new story.

Sure I'm doing the same thing at "endgame"...events and what not. But now I have the option to do whatever I want, when I want without worrying about grinding to progress or see content (like the story).

Where as, at end game in WoW is a TON of grind (that is all there is in Legion) so it loses all the fun for me...and "endgame" in GW2 the grind completely goes away (well masteries/hero points, but I never focus on those as I just run into them as I explore the world and do events, they show up on the map and some of them are actually FUN to do as some are in hard to get areas).

So I think a big part I find is grinding in games is boring as hell, so when I skip the grind in GW2 (it feels like grind to me, because I want to do the whole story in one go, not wait every 10 levels...or go to any zone I want...) the game became vastly more fun. Where as, leveling in WoW is very fast paced, exciting, and you keep progressing really fast so there is kinda a grind, but not boring at all compared to endgame to get a slightly better item over and over.

With that said...there is Elder Scrolls Online. Forgot about One Tamriel. You can literally do anything and go anywhere, no matter what level you are. All the DLC you can do, everything. One Tamriel is amazing, but I'm currently into GW2 for past few months.

• epoqepoq Member UncommonPosts: 394
    i enjoyed the leveling process in GW2 when the game first launched.  at that time, hell, i enjoyed it enough that i leveled 3 or 4 characters to experience multiple racial storylines of the game and it was fun throughout.  didn't come back for the expansion though, but cool to hear that you are enjoying it from the aspect of being insta 80.  a lot of people i feel like would complain that it's cheap, but in GW2 at this point, doesn't really seem like it matters.  

i actually just re-purchased ESO gold edition with the DLC's and have begun leveling a new character.  i HATED eso when it launched, but now since One Tamriel, the game is fantastic.  being able to go level where i want on a less linear path is much more fun.  the game is ALL quests, and i enjoy the lore, if you are a lore kinda person....there's nothing better than ESO.  i'm sure a lot of people just skip all of the quest dialogue, but i enjoy it as it's all voiced over and well done, with lots of cool stories along the way.  it certainly makes the game feel less of a boring grind when you are questing and learning about the world during your travels.....makes it much more like an actual adventure.
    Octagon7711
    Well, actually at release GW2 was a lot more fun to level in than it is now. I was really into Dungeons and Dragons in real life at the time, so I didn't really play GW2 much or much of anything else. But, they changed the "level-up rewards" to be something completely different. For example, to do map completition you now have to be "x" level to unlock it. That is just one example. But you level up to unlock features, instead of the whole game being available. And level 20 I think to get your first ability. 

At release, you got your first ability really early on...and you didn't need to "unlock" features of the game by getting to a certain level. And you could train skills really early by getting hero points and what not...but that was completely changed.

ESO is really amazing though and your post really makes me want to play it again. But I personally try to stick to one "big" MMO at a time, but I'll definitely play ESO once I eventually run out of things to do (or get bored) of GW2...since GW2 the updates are kinda slow to happen, so eventually I'll see everything I personally want to see in GW2 till the next update. ESO definitely got way better in One Tamriel and I do LOVE lore and quests.
    Octagon7711

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Fucking hell! Character progression is not a grind.

Why do we continue to have folks with this mind set?

Each of the games being described has content, story, lore, levels to gain, skills/abilities to unlock... character development. Also, they have introduced ways to level faster so you can get to max level too.

If you feel lazy and don't feel like leveling from 1 to max lvl you choose the convenience route. 
    AjviTemp0
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
    edited May 2017

Fucking hell! Character progression is not a grind.

Why do we continue to have folks with this mind set?

Each of the games being described has content, story, lore, levels to gain, skills/abilities to unlock... character development. Also, they have introduced ways to level faster so you can get to max level too.

If you feel lazy and don't feel like leveling from 1 to max lvl you choose the convenience route. 

Character progression is a grind, but it can still be fun.

In WoW, from the very first level you gain you get new abilities. You get new items, and from level 1-110 every item you get is unique from the previous one.

In EVE, the "grind" is raising skills, but that is done over time and you are free to do anything you want

In FFXIV, characters develop really fast as they level and you get progressively better fast. I just really dislike the very linear instance zones till the expansion area

In GW2...you don't get your first ability (not weapon skills, but actual ability you train) until level 20...maybe its 10, I forgot as its been a while since I was that low. As a necromancer, I had to wait for ages to get my first minion. Either way, you learn skills very slowly outside of the weapon stuff. On top of that, features are locked out until you get to X level (like you have to be a certain level to even GET hero points...that wasn't like it at release). And entire features are locked out by levels. But the thing is, your actual character progresses so slow compared to FFXIV/WoW in my examples.

You even can't keep doing the story until you earn 10 levels to continue forward. Yes WoW you have to be a certain level to do higher level quests, but there are so many quests and stories to do non-stop all the way to the end.

GW2 character progression is a boring as hell grind (FOR ME) because of that. However at level 80, none of that is even an issue.

Also as I said, in GW2 at release...the leveling was very different. It was faster, and far more fun than it is now. I got my first minion at level 2 or maybe it was 4...either way, far faster than currently. And features weren't locked out by level, and it felt a lot more open and "free" when leveling. 

In any case...I've been having a ton of fun without worrying about all that grind since I've been level 80. 3 months of pure fun :D

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Playing for "fun" is ultimately pointless.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163

Kyleran said:

Playing for "fun" is ultimately pointless.

So is living, what's your point?
    KyleranOctagon7711pantaro
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• Max_StrikerMax_Striker Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I have been playing GW2 since launch. It is a great game. Great graphics and combat system, very fun PVP and very good performance.

As some have mentioned here I think the game was way more fun to level at launch than it is now but for me not because you have to unlock things, you didn't have to unlock zones before but you needed to wait  your character to reach the right level to go there which has the same effect. The thing is that now all low level areas are completely empty. Nobody there, where it used to be full of new players grinding and learning.

Now the thing that changed most for me, and I didn't like it at all and slowly is forcing me to stop playing, is the format of new maps. All maps in HoT are maze like. It is the opposite to what I like. I love open maps, open spaces where you can go anywhere you put your eyes on, but all the new zones are like a labyrinth where paths are not clear and you need search your for a way all the time. That annoys me so much I have stopped playing those maps. I still like dungeons, Fractals and PVP but the open PVE died for me, I just can't stand HoT new zones.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited August 2017
    Guild Wars 2 looks awesome for a MMO that was released then. Scenery, characters,  animations, I love it. I was fan of GW1 so was looking forward to GW2 and bought it on release. I love the setting and lore.

But:

- Character progression feels very diluted. As if its stretched over way too many levels.

- Combat is boring for me because of a few combining factors :
    • I don't mind small action bars (I loved GW1 after all), but there are just too few skills in the end to chose from.
    • The combat is this weird hybrid form of action and tabbased. But it plays like a tab based MMO because of the dodge restrictions and the many home seeking skills. Making the dodging out of red zones just feel like a gimmick.
    • Zergs! Omg, I hate these with a passion. At first they can be convenient, but at some point you realise that major encounters in open world come down to AOE'ing the shit out of it as part of a zerg.
    The way combat works and how unnecessary those 80 levels feel, makes the game quite boring for me. I just could not stomach leveling a 2nd toon because of this.
    Then Arenanet completely deviated from the original game concept (manifesto) during development, and this did not help either. But still, I expected to grown used to the changes, but I got bored because of character progression and combat before that.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Leveling was more fun just after launch (and even more fun in the first beta weekend) but they nerfed the open world content (besides the 3 headed wurm and the swamp dragon I wont try spelling) so it is way too easy.

I have leveled about 8 characters to max level (but got a boost to 20 or 30 on some). I don't think it is boring but the weird changes to how slow you gain abilities together with several difficulty nerfs makes it so-so.

Personally do I think they can revamp it to be far more fun, why not giving us a second campaign like Factions for next expansion and put higher difficulty on it? If it is too hard you can still level in the old zones while people who want a bit more challenge can run the new content.
    Octagon7711
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    ESO started by making everything hard and it ended up a ghost town.  Now GW2 is moving in that direction.  I hope they realize that higher difficulty doesn't equal better game play it just turns a game into a niche as the masses don't play just to mini-max.

That said, I'm looking forward to riding my new mounts around in Tyria.  I will be mostly staying away from HoT and PoF, just going there to get Elites and mounts then back to the original content, which I have enjoyed since the game started.
    gunklacker

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    I  hope its going to be guud i am going to buy both dlc`s;)
    ESO started by making everything hard and it ended up a ghost town.  Now GW2 is moving in that direction.  I hope they realize that higher difficulty doesn't equal better game play it just turns a game into a niche as the masses don't play just to mini-max.

That said, I'm looking forward to riding my new mounts around in Tyria.  I will be mostly staying away from HoT and PoF, just going there to get Elites and mounts then back to the original content, which I have enjoyed since the game started.
    The basegame is easier then ever. Been to Orr lately? It is 5 times as easy as it was at launch and that was far easier then the first beta weekend.

Even Wow tend to add higher difficulty in the new expansion, you need some challenging content besides raiding in a MMO and there is plenty of easy content in the game.

You enjoy easier content and that is fine but I want it tougher so leave something for me as well. But they can and probably will nerf HoT soon, it needs to be done when most players move to the new expansion.
    Gorwe said:

No, they don't. People don't play games to primarily challenge themselves, mostly to entertain themselves. This was proven in spades with Dark Souls 2, the most criticized of the series. Because it focused on "hardcore difficulty"(actually quite cheap difficulty) over anything else-a quite un Dark Souls move.
    Ha, right on.  I actually despise the ultra challenging game because of the kind of challenge they typically present.  In the case of Dark Souls, the game itself isn't even "hard" - it's just a memorization game and from that point on it's really just an ANNOYING difficulty from enemies respawning in cases which you have to fight them over and over again.  

I have DEFINITELY become more of casual gamer in the past few years now moving into my 30's.  I don't want to be stressed out when playing video games, as they are one of my primary relaxing pastimes.  To each his own though, I know people who find the extreme annoying difficulties of said games to be relaxing in their own ways, to me they are not.

When it comes to challenges I prefer the kind of challenges that require teamplay stratagem.  Typically only seen in online shooter type games, or MMOs when they are brand spankin new.  Once a strat has been figured out in any kind of single player game or MMO, it's plastered all over the interwebs and it's no longer a challenge.  Even Dark Souls players can just go look at a guide and from that point the game boils down to just how well you can dodge/attack in sequence. 
    Loke666 said:

The basegame is easier then ever. Been to Orr lately? It is 5 times as easy as it was at launch and that was far easier then the first beta weekend.

Even Wow tend to add higher difficulty in the new expansion, you need some challenging content besides raiding in a MMO and there is plenty of easy content in the game.

You enjoy easier content and that is fine but I want it tougher so leave something for me as well. But they can and probably will nerf HoT soon, it needs to be done when most players move to the new expansion.
    I'm grappling with whether or not to come back.  I haven't played HoT but now that the new xpac has been announced, with mounts and what looks like new sub-classes, I'm feeling tempted. 
    epoq said:
    I'm grappling with whether or not to come back.  I haven't played HoT but now that the new xpac has been announced, with mounts and what looks like new sub-classes, I'm feeling tempted. 
    Well, it is just $30 so you should get enough value of of that at least, any more is of course up to you.

What I seen so far is at least very good but then have I just been in the first zone and tried the raptor mount for a few hours to test the difficulty, zone layout and the feel of the expansion. 

The difficulty is generally relatively hard if you solo but average if you run with others or play in group.

And Elona is beutiful...
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    I found GW2 combat very boring. Unless things have changed in the past few years. Having such a limited amount of skills made things very uninteresting. I just lost my will to level. It felt like the only purpose was so can just fight the next reskinned "goblin".
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited September 2017
    Golelorn said:
    I found GW2 combat very boring. Unless things have changed in the past few years. Having such a limited amount of skills made things very uninteresting. I just lost my will to level. It felt like the only purpose was so can just fight the next reskinned "goblin".
    Each class has many traits, skills and specializations i could fill a page just for one class. Rarely do two characters of the same class play exactly alike depending on how they spec their character out. Most bosses have different fight mechanics as well. You just got to take time to learn how to play the game. Most players who don't take time to learn how the game actually works are the ones to die first in a fight and then complain how the fight is too hard while everyone else is still alive.
    gunklacker
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    My sister asked for a game to play a game online. So gw2 was the first game that crossed my mind for beginners. 

Doing low lvl maps now, boosted my ele to lvl 80 with the free boost. Only I have no idea how to unlock tempest -_-

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I feel the same way as the OP, also ESO for me. Both games have a sense of adventure and open world to them at the max level that extends beyond the usual "grind this, get this gear". You CAN make either game about that. But it's not all there is.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418
    edited September 2017
    Progressing is grind? So what you want is a game where you have everything from the get go and there is no new content for you to explore... ever?

When you play an FPS and you are going through the story, is that grind? When you play a game like Fallout, is that grind? When you play a RTS like WC or SC, you need to progress. Is that grind?

It sounds to me like games aren't for you. If there was no progression there would be no game!

Here is a link to a game with no (in your words) 'grind'...    exactly.

edited September 2017
    Loke666 said:

I think the base game is easier now because they raised the bar with the Elites and HoT.  Now you can glide in parts of the base game, no more falling damage, and will be able to use mounts soon.

I enjoy some easy content.  When ESO first came out is was a challenge and I was disappointed when I returned and it was so easy doing a lot of the content.  Now you can get sets just from doing certain quest lines no real need for crafting them. It depends on the game.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Played for years since it's betas to releases, it has worn me down so much I can't get to play it anymore, neither anything similar, RIP.
    Dragnelus said:
    My sister asked for a game to play a game online. So gw2 was the first game that crossed my mind for beginners. 

Doing low lvl maps now, boosted my ele to lvl 80 with the free boost. Only I have no idea how to unlock tempest -_-
    You have to collect Hero Points and put them here in Elite Specializations.  Heart of Thorns area.
    Inventory Full Meanwhile Back In The Jungle  GW2