Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why pve is better

nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
edited August 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
pvp in a nutshell

win

1. u play good
2. u feed but team play good
3. opponent play bad
4. lucky

lose 

1. u play bad
2. u play good but team feed like hell
3. opponent play good
4. bad luck

pve? win everything and roleplay in your mind
TheScavengerpostlarvalPhrybcbullySirAgravaine

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    You forgot:
    Win
    You had better gear or higher level. The opposite for lose.

But funny enough are the reasons you stated the ones I like PvP. It is the gear and level ones that makes PvE more fun, the rest are good reasons to PvP in my book.

We basically still use Meridian 59s game mechanics in MMOs and while it for some reason became a popular PvP game it was built for PvE from the start. Almost all later MMOs as well are built for PvE with PvP added as an afterthought.

Yes, there is Eve, SWG, DaoC, Guildwars and a few others that was made with PvP in mind from the start but the main mechanics of the genre are focused on providing good PvE.

Now, if you look on FPS games it is a different matter. While Doom and most of the other games also were made with single player (and at times with 4 or so in multiplayer) they have moved away from that and now PvP is everything. The mechanics are made for that and you can see that the ones that still have a bit of PvE does it badly.

You can't expect games basically built for PvE to provide fun PvP or at least as fun as a game built mainly for PvP. The point of most MMOs is to max out your level and get the best gear but goals like that work badly in a PvP game. For a PvP game you need a small powergap and other motivations for people to play, something FPS games have but most MMORPGs don't have.

The one MMORPG I feel have best PvP goals is DaoC. Sadly with WAR they screwed up and went more to PvE styled motivation then improving what DaoC had set up.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    pvp in a nutshell

win

1. u play good
    2. u feed but team play good
    3. opponent play bad
    4. lucky

lose 

1. u play bad
    2. u play good but team feed like hell
    3. opponent play good
    4. bad luck

MOBA PvP is not the only PvP...nor the best, imo.

But whatever.
    Phry[Deleted User]

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    You can PVE in MOBA too
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    wtf
    Phry

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Someone got rolled and came here to rant.
    nerovergilalivenHatefull
  • EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736

The uncertainty of victory is precisely one of the reasons I prefer PvP. Victory isn't nearly as rewarding if it's guaranteed.
  • nerovergilnerovergil Member UncommonPosts: 680
    Eldurian said:

The uncertainty of victory is precisely one of the reasons I prefer PvP. Victory isn't nearly as rewarding if it's guaranteed.
    i feel no point of winning in pvp...my salary still kitten..my dream girl still hate me so wwhat...
  • KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602
    Don't have good gear in PvE = kick from party
    Don't do enough dps in PvE = kick from party
    Fast Fast Fast , skip everything in PvE

PvE usually comes with a very toxic community, with many egocentric/egoistic players. While in PvP usually you do try to have eachothers back.  
    Rhiow-DarkstepPhryalivenOctagon7711Hatefullforcelima
  • AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    probably if I really want to pvp only i won't be playing mmorpg.
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    I like both! PvP and PvE and in some games I like the pve more and others PvP.
    Azaron_Nightblade

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    DMKano said:
    Cake vs Pie

It's a personal preference - one, neither or both
    This, claiming one or the other is the best is entirely subjective, PVE is not better than PVP and vice versa, about all you can do is argue about which one is the most popular which has absolutely nothing to do with being better than, but more to do with personal preference. :/
    Hatefull
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,984
    Not until PvE actually uses something resembling semi-realistic AI.

But by all means,  if standing 20 feet down a hall of "guards" who stand there while you "pull" them one at at time turns you on, go knock yourself out.

bcbully

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Keller said:

PvE usually comes with a very toxic community, with many egocentric/egoistic players. While in PvP usually you do try to have eachothers back.  
    "While in PVP you shoot your team mates in the back".

I'm playing Foxhole at the moment, and I've seen more antisocial behaviour there in the last 50 hours than I've seen in the last 3 years of PVE MMO gaming, lol

Please tell me which PVE game has a more toxic community than something like League of Legends ? :D
    Azaron_Nightblade[Deleted User][Deleted User]gunklackerMrMelGibson
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    My opinion:

PvE in MMORPGS is so-so. Most of the time it's insanely easy, you can facepalm yourself through the content, the only thing needed to get everything being the amont of time invested. Some MMORPGs have a good story, then it's fun, but they are the exception.

PvE in other games: depends on the genre, but in general it's much better. Strategy games like Civilization can provide a great challenge, or games like Stardew Valley can keep you hooked with all the little storylines and characters.

PvP in MMORPGs is basically always horrible, as it's mostly pay2win

PvP in other games: well, that depends. DOTA2 is an example how to do it right. No P2W at all, everybody got the same chances and access to everything.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

maji said:

PvP in other games: well, that depends.
    When I want to PvP, I play Overwatch.
    Glad you found a game you like.   Some of us actually enjoy PvP in an MMORPG... 
    MMORPGs after all are why we are on this site...

hallucigenocide

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Keller said:

In my own experience since UO beta, it has been exactly the opposite. The majority of toxic players with a big ego problem came from the PvP community. Ganking defenseless players, the easier the kill the better, making it a sport of making newbies quit the game, and when beaten whining like little girls and asking for nerfs... you got it all there.

Go figure.
    Pretty much, although I'd like to add that the hardcore raiders often suffer from the same massive ego issues that PvPers do. Granted, you're less likely to run into their attitude unless you join their guild.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    I like the whole package, when the pve and pvp happens on the same place like in Lineage.
    RebelRF
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    PVE is better for OP. Not for every game, or everyone else.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    DMKano said:
    Cake vs Pie

Also, Vanilla Ice Cream is better than Chocolate Ice Cream!
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

maji said:

Until the moment you realize that PvP in most MMORPGs is unbalanced crap because of the progression system that is inherent to the RPG genre. When a level 40 has no chance in hell to beat a level 60, you know that aspect of the game is broken.

WoW actually made PvP much better lately, by making gear mostly irrelevant. That's a good start... but of course, the "ego driven" PvPers won't like it that they can no longer crush newbies with their "hard earned" superior gear.
    LOL...
    OK.. like I said.. good thing you found Overwatch.   Leave the MMORPG PvP to the rest of us :)

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Keller said:

Bizzaro universe in a nutshell. 
    PhrySpottyGekko
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    aliven said:
    Keller said:

Bizzaro universe in a nutshell. 
    I disagree, i think the problem is really not so much as to whether a game is predominantly PVE or PVP, when it comes to toxic behaviour it exists in both genres, but i believe it is more predominant among younger players, i've even noticed this in CS:GO, when you have young players they tend to get overly emotional and lose control, not just when they are losing, but when they are winning too, older more mature players are more likely to handle both the winning and the losing gracefully and are less likely to indulge in 'trash talking', now while that might seem to indicate that its mostly in PVP games, and they certainly are present in great numbers in such competitive games, they also tend to behave in the same fashion in PVE games, though usually its only really noticeable in dungeon runs and raids, specifically any activity that requires players to work together.
    A way of fixing this would entail enforcing games age ratings with greater efficiency, which sadly is unlikely, until that actually is possible, the best you can do is block them and carry on, though i have to wonder, how it is that so many apparent 12 year olds are able to play games like CS:GO without any problems, i can only think that their parents are either uncaring, or are just not getting involved in their childrens daily lives except on a minimal basis. :/
    Octagon7711
    maji said:

Until the moment you realize that PvP in most MMORPGs is unbalanced crap because of the progression system that is inherent to the RPG genre. When a level 40 has no chance in hell to beat a level 60, you know that aspect of the game is broken.

WoW actually made PvP much better lately, by making gear mostly irrelevant. That's a good start... but of course, the "ego driven" PvPers won't like it that they can no longer crush newbies with their "hard earned" superior gear.
    LOL...
    OK.. like I said.. good thing you found Overwatch.   Leave the MMORPG PvP to the rest of us :)

I was doing Pvp in UO beta 20 years ago, what were you doing back then?
    Exactly the kind of attitude the average MMORPG PvPer has. No arguments, just childish behavior. One of the major reasons why PvP MMORPGs have such a small audience.
    Thanks for demonstrating it.

The EXACT same thing Big Guy.   You think that makes you special?  Yeah I also played on Atlantic and Chesapeake.  I was never a DreadLord.. I played blue.
    You said you hate MMORPG PvP and like Overwatch.  GOOD!  Go play it!
    Leave the MMORPG PvP to those of us who enjoy it.  It's a fairly simple concept.  If you like something go do it.  If you dislike something, avoid it.

• VengeSunsoarVengeSunsoar Member EpicPosts: 6,601
    Overall pie more than cake. Cake is generally too much dough for me. But there are a few cakes that beat everything.
    Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it is bad.
  • Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982
    waynejr2 said:
    DMKano said:
    Cake vs Pie

Also, Vanilla Ice Cream is better than Chocolate Ice Cream!

Heathen! Such vile heresy shall not go unpunished! 
    tort0429