Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blue Yeti Blackout: The Reigning Champion - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageBlue Yeti Blackout: The Reigning Champion - MMORPG.com

Even if you’ve never live streamed or recorded a single podcast, there’s a good chance you know about the Blue Yeti. Since 2009, the bullet-shaped microphone has become a staple of the gaming world. It appears on innumerable streams and let’s plays and is heard on even more podcasts. Before we expand into other streaming mics, we wanted to look at the gold standard.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• kaz350kaz350 Member UncommonPosts: 130
    I'm "shocked" a review of the Blue Yeti that talks about the shockmount and doesn't even mention its not strong enough to support its own weight. Also the customer service is near non-existent and will NOT respond on this well known issue.

The Audio Technica AT2020 is a clear choice over the blue yeti which is All hype. But I will admit the sound quality is solid.
    BitterClinger
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 786
    We didn't receive a shock mount to test with. When I mention them above, I'm referring to the cheaper models that essentially require you to have one.
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    kaz350 said:
    I... snip ...

The Audio Technica AT2020 is a clear choice over the blue yeti which is All hype. But I will admit the sound quality is solid.
    ^^ This! Don't waste money on the "Yeti" mics. Get the AT2020 for a great amateur mic.
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 786
    That mic uses XLR, doesn't it? Which would mean you would need an intermediary layer like a mixer or some other interface to use it if so. Not arguing that it may be an excellent mic, but it doesn't look like an out of the box solution. Cheap XLR to USB cables (<$15) may be a solution, but it looks like they cause a quality hit too.
  • BitterClingerBitterClinger Member UncommonPosts: 439
    The AT2020 is USB ready and comes with a USB cable.
  • LINKUZZLINKUZZ Member UncommonPosts: 7
    edited August 2017
    In my research the best option for a podcaster/streamer is the Audio-Technica ATR2100/AT2005 or the Samson Q2U. Both sound good and have USB as well as XLR outputs, so u can upgrade later to a better setup. Its sad that most people don't know about these options. The Blue Yeti or the AT2020 are good, but overpriced.