Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Familiar Yet Different - The PS4 Version is a 'Must Try' - Marvel Heroes Omega Review - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageFamiliar Yet Different - The PS4 Version is a 'Must Try' - Marvel Heroes Omega Review - MMORPG.com

Hard to believe it’s been a little over four and half years since buying a “Thor Starter Pack” for the release, of the then, PC based action RPG Marvel Heroes game by Gazillion. Since then the core game has undergone several changes, small and large scale, including supporting MAC, powers rework, raids being added and now gaming consoles with versions for both PS4 and XBox One.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• StraibanStraiban Member UncommonPosts: 12
    Frankly, couch co-op is the only reason to play the console version om MH if you've been playing the PC version. The lack of a lively world chat (to be expected) slightly bothered me.
    onelesslight
  • Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265
    I'm coming from the X-box side of things, but it really annoyed me that you don't get an initial free hero unlock on console. And *of course* my PC main is way north of the starting splinters you get.

So I'm stuck between two walls: I don't want to put any more time into the PC version that's on-the-clock for the sunset, and I don't want to put in the time to gather the extra splinters on a hero I'm meh about to play the one I really want. Or pay, of course, but nah. I guess I'm waiting for an event/promo that lets me unlock my preferred hero.

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    Slimy yet satisfying
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    The inventory management (which is the bane of this game and what will drive you to spend real cash moreso than unlocking characters or anything else).

It's annoying on the PC, but it's just a F2P cash mechanism.

I can't do it at all on the PS4. The inventory is too small (without spending money), it's segregated in a very poorly implemented and segmented UI. Sure, you have to do something to support controller play, but whatever this is, isn't it I don't think.

Doing Midtown - I do one round of bosses, I run to empty my inventory - the next round of bosses is up and almost dead before I've gone through and sold/donated everything off, because of the clunky segmented wheel.

More inventory space would help, but doesn't really solve the problem. Also, what happened to the vacuum? Is that on the console version? I saw the auto-vaporize the settings, but couldn't find a button combo or anything to just vacuum what is on the ground.

Apart from that, I find the gameplay fine. I'm mildly annoyed that at least some aspects of my PC account don't carry over (would be nice if hero unlocks would, at the least), but that isn't a deal breaker.

The inventory thing just sinks it for me.
    [Deleted User]RavingRabbidArglebargle
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Marvel used to be the home of some pretty awesome superheroes, but lately its become a toxic environment that really needs to be fixed, i would not be in the least surprised if they are not on the verge of, if not already being, boycotted. :o
    JeffSpicoli
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Ridelynn said:

More inventory space would help, but doesn't really solve the problem. Also, what happened to the vacuum? Is that on the console version? I saw the auto-vaporize the settings, but couldn't find a button combo or anything to just vacuum what is on the ground.
    Doesn't the vacuum require a pet to feed the items to, and pets aren't implemented on the console version?  I could be wrong.

...that'd be pretty funny if that were true yet vacuuming was still in the options settings.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited August 2017
    Tiamat64 said:
    Ridelynn said:

Doesn't the vacuum require a pet to feed the items to, and pets aren't implemented on the console version?  I could be wrong.

...that'd be pretty funny if that were true yet vacuuming was still in the options settings.
    It does on PC version, but on console, I could care less if it goes to gold or other currency - like an on-demand vaporize, or honestly, just gets rid of the crap.

The autovaporize is an all or nothing, you don't see the loot even dropping to get a chance to see if you want it. Vacuuming, however, is selective because you can either pickup (and rediscard) and item, or just see it's something you don't want on the ground in the first place - but you at least get the chance to make that decision. ~THIS~ functionally, it certainly doesn't require pets to be implemented.
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Inventory management was the main reason that I quit after about a month.   The game's fun quotient wasn't high enough to offset that.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I enjoyed the beta, but I'll have to try it now that it's released. Is the population still okay?
  • maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,180
    Inventory management is a problem if you don't spend money.  You can still manage it, but for the most part its one of those things that you really "have" to buy if you plan on playing more than one character. (which you will)

There is no vacuum at the moment.  It isn't even on the list to be added anytime soon.  They still have a lot of performance issues, especially in midtown. 

Character balance is still an issue.  Not that it really matters in the end as every character can potentially handle any and all content, but overall some characters have a much harder time than others.

I didn't play the PC version, but I have all characters in the console version to 60 and past the cosmic trial, it's certainly a fun-ish game, but end game is lacking severely.

The biggest challenge in the game is the cosmic trial,  there is no danger, no failure and no further sense of accomplishment aside from that. 

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I'm coming from the X-box side of things, but it really annoyed me that you don't get an initial free hero unlock on console. And *of course* my PC main is way north of the starting splinters you get.

So I'm stuck between two walls: I don't want to put any more time into the PC version that's on-the-clock for the sunset, and I don't want to put in the time to gather the extra splinters on a hero I'm meh about to play the one I really want. Or pay, of course, but nah. I guess I'm waiting for an event/promo that lets me unlock my preferred hero.
    The PC side is closing down?  I didn't know that.

I'm pretty sure it isn't. They are still investing in it, and are planning on pushing over some of the console omega mechanics to the PC. 
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibsonCrazKanuk

Torval said:

I'm pretty sure it isn't. They are still investing in it, and are planning on pushing over some of the console omega mechanics to the PC. 
    Hopefully PC is a decent enough revenue source with little hassle that keeping it online makes sense to them.
    I'm sure it's making something.  I know the consoles are making much more at the moment though. 

• VaselVasel Member UncommonPosts: 226
    MArvel heroes is in full milk the cow mode. Dont put any significant cash into this game. Thanos raid nope. Balance tuning the dozen of almost broken heroes, nope maybe in 6 months they say. The list goes on. Its a a shame how slow they move on thing in this game. Not to mention its licensing with Marvel being short term.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905
    If you think you might want to play a lot and grind endgame, I'd say wait until next year and see where they are at.
    MrMelGibson
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Torval said:

Hopefully PC is a decent enough revenue source with little hassle that keeping it online makes sense to them.
    I'm sure it's making something.  I know the consoles are making much more at the moment though. 
    Well, to be fair.  It's basically a brand new game for console only gamers.  Being that it's also a fun game I can see why it's doing better atm.  
  • gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    edited August 2017
    Do NOT put money into this. What someone else said is true, they are milking the cow on an already dead game by a dying company. The game was never very popular and when Marvel realized it never would be, they bailed Gazillion out on the condition that people like Brevik and Doomsaw, who meant to keep the game community-based and F2P, get the boot. A new CEO was brought in as well as several EA 'talents' that turned this into a loot-box console game practically over night by allocating all resources away from the PC audience into the console port, meant to vacuum in as much money as possible in the short term before being placed on life support for the duration of the license. Marvel's hopes and promotional resources were then shifted to a different company entirely who is making a new marvel aRPG. Google it, it's all there. Gazillion has since moved on to other projects and new IPs internally and starting the process to cutting ties with their game silently and unofficially, just like they did with Super Hero Squad.

Even existing devs admitted in interviews that the PC version was left in a poor state last year, essentially abandoned, to get the console version running and making money quickly. Previous staff vouched for the transition stating it would save their jobs, only to be let go shortly after console launch and replaced with outsourced artists working for less and pushing out content far below even previous quality standards, such as they were.

Any money put into this is a waste. This game is not going to be around in more than a couple of years, if that. I doubt Gazillion will last very long as a company, either.
    alivenPhryFrodoFragins

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Yet another game that has succumbed under utter greed by converting to Loot gamble boxes!!!

Instant NO PLAY for me! I am totally fed up with these shady greed practices! Plenty of other games to play without it!
    aliven
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    edited August 2017
    Any money put into this is a waste. This game is not going to be around in more than a couple of years, if that. I doubt Gazillion will last very long as a company, either.

If I could make a quote legendary, this would be it. If this doesn't speak to the time, I don't know what would. Talking about how a game that's already been in existence for 4 years isn't going to be around for more than a couple years is fucking hilarious to me. Not only that, but what is the standard here for wasteful spending? Is any game that exists for less than a decade a waste of your money? 

Honestly, I think it's a fucking marvel (no pun intended) that this has survived as long as it has with so many options out there. Not only that, but when I participated in the beta the servers seemed pretty packed. I'm going to go ahead and use my expert video game analytical mind and say that there is no way that this game will last another decade (+/- 8 years). 
    aliven[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I couldn't get into it because the combat just had absolutely no weight to it.  My hero and the enemy would stand in eachother's faces and animations would go off until one was dead.  It was a boring and un-engaging experience.

Maybe I'm just over top-down arpg's though, cause D3 was a bore for me and so was PoE for the same reasons.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I couldn't get into it because the combat just had absolutely no weight to it.  My hero and the enemy would stand in eachother's faces and animations would go off until one was dead.  It was a boring and un-engaging experience.

Maybe I'm just over top-down arpg's though, cause D3 was a bore for me and so was PoE for the same reasons.

You aren't wrong. Skill-based mechanics are definitely not the norm in ARPGs. The only real strategy to them comes in making your build. Beyond that it's pretty much about just progressing to the next tier. As far as mindless fun goes, I still enjoy it quite a bit. 

Victor Vran is pretty good if you haven't tried it already. Maybe a little more on the skill-based mechanics side? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

CrazKanuk said:

You aren't wrong. Skill-based mechanics are definitely not the norm in ARPGs. The only real strategy to them comes in making your build. Beyond that it's pretty much about just progressing to the next tier. As far as mindless fun goes, I still enjoy it quite a bit. 

Victor Vran is pretty good if you haven't tried it already. Maybe a little more on the skill-based mechanics side? 
    Well, it's a little different than just "standing in each others faces" once you're on the cosmic difficulty.   You really can't facetank everything, even when you play a tanky melee character.

Do NOT put money into this. What someone else said is true, they are milking the cow on an already dead game by a dying company.
    The console release pretty much solidifies their continued development.  It isn't much of a "dying company" if you take into consideration that the playerbase has grown substantially from the PC base just by releasing on console.  

Not to mention with the removal of the Fantastic Four, by doing so they managed to extend their marvel license.  I can't recall how much longer they've extended it for, but I know it was longer than 2 years, as it was up for renewal in 2019.

Like them or hate them, they played the right hand by releasing on console.  Had they kept with the dwindling PC base, they would have likely never gotten a license extension.

They have enough content that they haven't rolled out to consoles yet to keep the game afloat for at least a year or two,  and they have new characters and content releasing on the PC and Console next month. 
    [Deleted User]CrazKanukMrMelGibson

• Demmi77Demmi77 Member UncommonPosts: 229
    edited August 2017
    I am glad you are enjoying the game but i feel that this review is slightly misleading.

1. You do not get a free choice of heroes after the tutorial. You are limited in selection to the cheaper heroes. So if you want to play say deadpool. you'll need to pay. I do not mind paying for a game i enjoy. i did enjoy this for a bit but i felt like it was nothing more than a cashgrab (my personal opinion).

2. you do earn the currency at a rate of a couple for logging in daily and 1-4 every 8 minutes of gameplay( so if rng blessed you, you could get 30 or so an hour of pure gameplay). With heroes around 400 or so splinters (some more, some less) you are looking at realistically unlocking them over about 3 years. If you spend some cash they're ten bucks a pop at 30ish heroes or so if you want them all. Or you can grind out splinters. YOu can of course get splinters by gambling more on loot boxes to get costumes. These are also time-gated as well and cost around 20 bucks.

3. end game. there is none. You can gear up and beat all content in less than an hour at max level. You can get to max level in an hour with boosts.

each hero you buy (if you want a costume) will cost you around 25$. If you want 4 heroes and a costume for each you just dropped a 100$ for less than a 1/7 of the hero pool. Do the math. There are also boosts required to farm certain things. Almost all of it locked behind gamble boxes. The game is technically free, and you do get a hero free (not any by choice) and if you want to get the hero you want it'll probably take a normal person a couple weeks to get that hero. That's not bad and all of them are quite fun and a couple of playthroughs are definitely worth it.

The game also has incredibly poor optimization, which should be included in this review. In midtown patrol , a popular area to farm, every hero on screen and enemie's abilities are shown. You literally cannot see anything, your abilities lag and you'll skip over the map. There are several other areas that the performance is completely unplayable.

Storage is almost a necessity as is in most free to play games. If you want to play for say a month or so and get the most out of it , realistically you'll need about 40 bucks for storage and 40 bucks for a hero pack and some spare g's. i dropped around 100$ and played for a month. There really isn't much content, itemization is very limited. There are also no visual changes to your character through itemization.

There is also no chat, or social interaction availability. I mean, the game is fun but this is a really high review for a game that ,free to play argument aside, is lacking on several different levels.

KhorraxLiljna
    Demmi77 said:
    I am glad you are enjoying the game but i feel that this review is slightly misleading.

1. You do not get a free choice of heroes after the tutorial. You are limited in selection to the cheaper heroes. So if you want to play say deadpool. you'll need to pay. I do not mind paying for a game i enjoy. i did enjoy this for a bit but i felt like it was nothing more than a cashgrab (my personal opinion).

2. you do earn the currency at a rate of a couple for logging in daily and 1-4 every 8 minutes of gameplay( so if rng blessed you, you could get 30 or so an hour of pure gameplay). With heroes around 400 or so splinters (some more, some less) you are looking at realistically unlocking them over about 3 years. If you spend some cash they're ten bucks a pop at 30ish heroes or so if you want them all. Or you can grind out splinters. YOu can of course get splinters by gambling more on loot boxes to get costumes. These are also time-gated as well and cost around 20 bucks.

3. end game. there is none. You can gear up and beat all content in less than an hour at max level. You can get to max level in an hour with boosts.

each hero you buy (if you want a costume) will cost you around 25$. If you want 4 heroes and a costume for each you just dropped a 100$ for less than a 1/7 of the hero pool. Do the math. There are also boosts required to farm certain things. Almost all of it locked behind gamble boxes. The game is technically free, and you do get a hero free (not any by choice) and if you want to get the hero you want it'll probably take a normal person a couple weeks to get that hero. That's not bad and all of them are quite fun and a couple of playthroughs are definitely worth it.

The game also has incredibly poor optimization, which should be included in this review. In midtown patrol , a popular area to farm, every hero on screen and enemie's abilities are shown. You literally cannot see anything, your abilities lag and you'll skip over the map. There are several other areas that the performance is completely unplayable.

Storage is almost a necessity as is in most free to play games. If you want to play for say a month or so and get the most out of it , realistically you'll need about 40 bucks for storage and 40 bucks for a hero pack and some spare g's. i dropped around 100$ and played for a month. There really isn't much content, itemization is very limited. There are also no visual changes to your character through itemization.

There is also no chat, or social interaction availability. I mean, the game is fun but this is a really high review for a game that ,free to play argument aside, is lacking on several different levels.

Agree on some of this. 

1) You don't get a choice of any hero you want, but you get a free 200 ES (eternity splinter which is the in game currency to buy characters) hero.  Luckily almost all the 200 ES heroes are strong characters.  Daredevil is free on both PS4 and XB1, so you could potentially start with daredevil and earn the ES to get the character you want.. but I digress.

2) The ES drops at about 1 - 5 every 6 minutes. Not exactly a tremendous rate, but you'll eventually make it there with enough play time.

What's important to note about the marvelous loot boxes is that you do earn some by just leveling up your character. I believe your first character gets you 4 marvelous loot boxes, and then an extra one for every character to 60 thereafter,  each of those boxes will give you essence to buy costumes and other such things.

So potentially you can earn every character and at least several costumes you want without paying anything. 

3) There really isn't any end game.

4) You do really need to buy storage for any ongoing gameplay.

5) Midtown is poorly optimized. Everything else runs pretty well though.

MrMelGibson

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030

Torval said:

The thing about most ARPGs is you can set difficulty as easy or hard as you like. If you want to facetank it all you can, but crank it up to Torment/Nightmare/whatever and you're not going to facetank anything. Otherwise we'd all have hardcore characters with flushed out achievs.

You can facetank a lot of open world stuff in this game but you can also always find a challenge if you want.

ARPGs are a perfect fit for consoles. Victor Vran is a dream to play on both mouse/keyboard or controller. It can be done.

Simply ramping up damage and HP values for mobs does not equate to more engaging combat. The system itself is bare-bones and extremely simplistic.

It bores me, but I get why sometimes it can be good mindless fun to just run around and bash shit.