Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Weekend DDoS & 'Ransom' Attack Shuts Down Servers - Albion Online - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2017 in News & Features Discussion

imageWeekend DDoS & 'Ransom' Attack Shuts Down Servers - Albion Online - MMORPG.com

Albion Online News - Albion Online players hoping for some relaxing action this weekend were frustrated by a series of DDoS attacks on the game's servers and, according to devs, even included a ransom demand from the perpetrators. The attacks resulted in widespread disconnects and even server outages throughout the weekend that appear to have been solved as of today.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    There sure are some pretty pathetic people out there.
  • RosenborgRosenborg Member UncommonPosts: 162

Dauzqul said:

There sure are some pretty pathetic people out there.

Indeed, and this is just a video game. :D
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Someone really don't like them or is this a, "Give me what I want and I'll go away." extortion thingy?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Someone really don't like them or is this a, "Give me what I want and I'll go away." extortion thingy?
    It's an extortion thing. One of the heads of the company posted about it on the forums saying they wanted a ransom to stop the DDOS attacks. I've also heard it was the gold sellers doing it because they were upset about their bans or something like that.
    Octagon7711
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    The novel "Reamde" would suggest the latter.
    Octagon7711

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'll have to check that out, thanks.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Careful, I heard it was ransomware!

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    DDoS is irrelevant when you crash 5 seconds after login anyway and/or stuck in limbo between zones for 20-30 minutes >.<<br />
    Devs should rename the game into "Black Screen Offline" to better reflect actual gameplay and setting.
    sdyaris96ohyeah2145

Thank you for your time!

3dom said:
    DDoS is irrelevant when you crash 5 seconds after login anyway and/or stuck in limbo between zones for 20-30 minutes >.<

Devs should rename the game into "Black Screen Offline" to better reflect actual gameplay and setting.
    If you are stuck in limbo for that long between zones, just force close the application and go back in, it will force it to load the zone again and 99% of the time that works for me.
  • typolmaotypolmao Member UncommonPosts: 6
    "Our servers are sht we are incompetent but lets just say we were getting ddosed."
    scaredmoneyOzmodan
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    More like we are CHEAP LYING SACKS like most game developers and did not buy enough hardware to support all of our sales and this weekend when EVERYONE logged to play at the same time our CHEAP as DIRT server farm collapsed under the load so like EVERY game developer that is a CHEAP POS LIAR we used the same old excuse as always we didn't poop in our pants someone else did. OMG we got DDOS attacked poor us feel sorry for us don't demand your money back because we are cheap lying sacks that should put out of business.

[Deleted User]scaredmoneyGdemamiKylerankinkyJalepeno
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I wonder how much more money those people could earn if they channeled their creativity to something productive.
    Slapshot1188
    typolmao said:
    "Our servers are sht we are incompetent but lets just say we were getting ddosed."
    You could blatantly tell they were getting ddosed. The game has been fine, even under heavy load, with a few hiccups here and there. It had the same amount of people in each zone it had all day, and randomly certain aspects of the game stopped working, like moving around, or interacting with things, while other aspects were perfectly fine, like chat. I can't believe how many people think everything a game company says is a lie, any time it's a game there are either blatant fanboys or blatant people who hate it.  
    Kyleran
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Aethaeryn said:
    Careful, I heard it was ransomware!
    Or ramsonware :)

One of Stephenson's better books.
    Phaserlight
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Renoaku, leave Albion Online alone!

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Phaserlightforcelima[Deleted User]KyleranPanther2103[Deleted User]RenoakuOctagon7711Iselin
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    It's an extortion thing. One of the heads of the company posted about it on the forums saying they wanted a ransom to stop the DDOS attacks. I've also heard it was the gold sellers doing it because they were upset about their bans or something like that.
    Gold sellers counter-attack? Oh things just got spiced up!
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited August 2017
    It honestly doesn't shock me, can't say I fully blame some people for being outraged even though I really haven't been posting as much about it because I lost all my faith in the company over 2 weeks ago now, I have been seeing threads pop up on their forums being deleted by moderators and removed where other users getting banned claming they did not buy currency, then getting banned just for posting about it I find it it rather funny that this company admits public that their "Logs" are still off, and that not all evidence is accurate yet i still ended up banned myself, and others still got banned just because currency is said to come from illegtimate sources, mind it happening just in one or two transactions out of many.

Meanwhile the game still lacks the proper security to prevent a DDOS attack, the number of exploits, cheats, hacks, and bots are still out of control in the game, and of course the server launch issues to begin with such as over population.

I have to say this is one of the worst launches I have seen in MMO history besides "Earth Rise"  which could have had a really smooth launch had the developers have taken time to do the proper testing, even try to put in a reputable anti-cheat, and make sure that the ability to commit fraud wasn't there to begin with.

Being able to buy currency with stolen information and just hand it off to people freely is something that should have been though about during alpha / beta, and resolved before launch, although I think they are trying to take steps now to prevent it the damage is already done, and at least I had no part in the damage to the economy because I never played after launch.

Also Free Trade, in this game is clearly a no, they don't allow people to freely buy and sell items because if a person manages to sell a HP potion for 500k Silver for example, or something and god forbid that transaction connects back to a gold seller buying it or someone else who used stolen currency which is quite an easy launder method you might get your account banned still.

I just really can't blame people for disliking this company, and the DDOS attacks are likely a revenge for banned innocent customers, obviously I can't prove or deny such but people get upset enough some are willing to go the extra mile especially when its a really big guild i've seen it before.
    Gdemami
  • PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

Renoaku said:

Free Trade is a no, they don't allow people to freely buy and sell items because if a person manages to sell a HP potion for 500k Silver for example, or something and god forbid that transaction connects back to a gold seller buying it or someone else who used stolen currency which is quite an easy launder method you might get your account banned still.

So if someone sells a 100 silver item on the AH after posting said item for 500K silver, and the potion buyer turns out to be a goldseller, then that's not enough probable cause to label the sale Real World Trading?

What would you need as proof? A receipt?

I hope I just got shitposted and that my fellow humans are not this ridiculous.
    edited August 2017

Renoaku said:

Free Trade is a no, they don't allow people to freely buy and sell items because if a person manages to sell a HP potion for 500k Silver for example, or something and god forbid that transaction connects back to a gold seller buying it or someone else who used stolen currency which is quite an easy launder method you might get your account banned still.

So if someone sells a 100 silver item on the AH after posting said item for 500K silver, and the potion buyer turns out to be a goldseller, then that's not enough probable cause to label the sale Real World Trading?

What would you need as proof? A receipt?

I hope I just got shitposted and that my fellow humans are not this ridiculous.
    In general yes I would say they should require more proof than currency simply coming from someone who did something illegal aka fraud, for example if a person lists a HP potion for 500k and a gold seller buys it then the person should be warned the first time, and made clear that RMT is illegal, and if this is what they are doing to stop, transactions reversed, if it doesn't come from a known gold seller doing fraud then its legitimate and treated as such.

Albion, is supposed to be a "Free Economy" / Crafting / Trade Game, by GM's enforicing limits on items which are not built into the game like Black Desert Onlline has, they are preventing the economy from playing itself out.

Two examples, in EVE you got station to station trading where you fly items from one station to another, and sometimes make items a million or more isk higher simply because its more easier and faster people will sometimes buy your item if its 1 million isk or 30k above rather than go to Jita the main trading hub.

Then there is controlling the economy, for example in certain sandbox games like Arche Age, I would sit on the market all day and buy out items then relist them at insane prices, at one point I had people paying me way over the amount of currency items were worth, one time because peopple stupidly purchased without looking at the prices, but generally I would do this with high tier crafting materials, and sometimes flip Archeum Shards under valued for higher.

Now its unlikely that a person in Albion, would sell something that is worth like 100 silver for 500k silkver, but assuming they did (This is free trade) its allowed in the game, and doesn't violate the games rules, however if a gold seller actually buys the persons items the company actually gets involved and bans users simply because the gold comes from an illegitimate source, but there is no valid proof to prove that the person who received 500k for example purchased the currency only the logs of it being listed and purchased, now this could be argued if a persons transactions only include transactions being all purchased by gold sellers every time to pay a said amount they purchased illegally, and I was reading on the Albion forums that people actually got banned for this on some topic a day or so ago that was locked.

This is the difference between any other professional game studio, is that other games wouldn't ban over asimple "Free Trade Transaction" and if trading or flipping markets is illegal for example, why doesn't SBI just impose limits on transaction aka 1 piece of wood for example going at a value of around 50 silver, can not be listed for no more than 1-2k silver not 500k.

Albion has some serious economic problems right now until they remove the whole ability to keep swapping gold to silver in gane, and hopefully prevent these DDOS attacks which is stuff that should have been worked out during beta.

Gdemami
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    It's easy to do. Even I a beginner when it comes to computers could DDos a service and there is nothing they can do about it. You can even pay someone else to do it too. But it's like putting a paper bag full of dog poo on someones step and lighting it up and ringing the door bell and running away 100 times in a row. 

Sure I could do that and there are some security measures that could be put in to reduce the frequently but if someone really wants to do it they can't be stopped. Thing is why bother ruining someones day and this ruins alot more than 1 persons day and it's just childish and stupid.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Yeah I was just researching DDOS attacks online and ran across this new article http://www.csoonline.com/article/3180246/data-protection/hire-a-ddos-service-to-take-down-your-enemies.html I am familiar with the basic principles of DDOS attacks, and Cloudflare because I use cloudflare on my website / servers, but I am curious to if these so called "Booters" which people claim with knock a person offline that a person can pay like $10 in bit coin for actually work or if its just a scam to make money, becuase if it works perhaps a few angry people are just using one of those.

Although if those really work, its said to be a grey area , for network testing and you do have to agree not to use them for illegal purposes.
    Gdemami
  • navajinavaji Member UncommonPosts: 22
    The mass banning also banned innocent people as well, the devs did not vet the information properly and made a hasty choice in who to ban. Mostly those banned were based off of in game transactions only with no further justification. Legendary beta players with plenty of silver, giving silver to friends that they got into the game also got the ban stick. The recoil has gotten so bad that there has been more then a few blogs about it.

http://navaji.kinja.com/albion-offline-1797666505
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    navaji said:
    The mass banning also banned innocent people as well, the devs did not vet the information properly and made a hasty choice in who to ban. Mostly those banned were based off of in game transactions only with no further justification. Legendary beta players with plenty of silver, giving silver to friends that they got into the game also got the ban stick. The recoil has gotten so bad that there has been more then a few blogs about it.

Not that I agree with there banning or anything. But it is there game to run as they want to. If they choose to ban people it is fully covered by the EULA and TOS that they can do so as they wish. Heck they could even go as far as shutting the game down forever tomorrow.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    navaji said:

My guess is that if you emailed their support staff and they didn't have great evidence to support the ban, they'd unban you. They have unbanned people in the past, there is plenty of google on it. That being said, I'm sure there are also plenty of "innocent" people who didn't read the TOS and "didn't know" they were doing something wrong and simply got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. 

If you gave a little silver to a friend who just got into the game isn't likely going to stand up. I'm sure they'll unban your account. Unless you just happened to have 100 friends just join the game that you gave silver to :)

With this response to the ban it's TOTALLY obvious that these are people without any sort of computer skills, who use what skill they have for the greater good and don't conduct themselves poorly. Soooo, yeah, color me surprised. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    CrazKanuk said:
    navaji said:

My guess is that if you emailed their support staff and they didn't have great evidence to support the ban, they'd unban you. They have unbanned people in the past, there is plenty of google on it. That being said, I'm sure there are also plenty of "innocent" people who didn't read the TOS and "didn't know" they were doing something wrong and simply got caught with their hand in the cookie jar. 

If you gave a little silver to a friend who just got into the game isn't likely going to stand up. I'm sure they'll unban your account. Unless you just happened to have 100 friends just join the game that you gave silver to :)

With this response to the ban it's TOTALLY obvious that these are people without any sort of computer skills, who use what skill they have for the greater good and don't conduct themselves poorly. Soooo, yeah, color me surprised. 

Humm, getting caught with your hand in the cookie-jar means no hand in some country's.
    CrazKanuk
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA