Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Path of Exile - Oriath Impressions - The Hype is Real - MMORPG.com

13»

Comments

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    DMKano said:
    Cazriel said:

mmrv said:

Tiamat64 said:

If it wasn't for that eerie claustrophobic feeling I get whenever I play this game these days, the lack of resets would probably keep me away anyways.  I start up the game after a long hiatus, look at the utterly massive passive tree, play around with a few builds in my head or on the skill planner, but just can't bring myself to click the "Confirm point allocation" button or whatever it's called because I'm paralyzed by fear so I just leave it be and then leave the game for another half year (well, more specifically, I run around a bit before I start getting feelings of actual depression at how SQUISHED everything looks because the camera's zoomed in so damn much and then after that I leave.  Dunno if they changed it to let you zoom out more since then but I haven't heard anything about it)

This a thousand times over, far to zoomed in and cannot see enough real estate on my screen, the ugly models dont help but if i could play without the feeling of my face mushed against the windshield I would really enjoy the game, until that happens i will always be out. Its the main visual fun of the genre and when you have such a small visual field its just bleh.

You can now zoom way out and zoom way in. You cannot change the camera angle.

Honestly? The game is free. Give it a try. The graphic updates and model updates are very good. When I see people say graphics suck, I know they haven't touched 3.0. Graphics no longer suck. The entire game has been given a graphic overhaul. New design elements have been added. New mob models in all acts, new mob designs. It it no longer oppressively dark overall as it was years back.

What are you playing?

I play Solo Self-Found (SSF). I've got several builds lined up, pretty much in order I plan to play them:

Tornado Ranger: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1041989/page/1
    Because I love ranged bow classes. First time with this build.

Firestorm Witch: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1460817/page/1
    Massive AOE. And skeletons.

Marauder Ice Crash: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1289037/page/1
    Because I love staves. No aiming required.

Lazy Paladin: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/105920
    A long-time favorite. Very interested to see how it plays in 3.0. This guy is very tough. A little slower than the others, but also very forgiving of mistakes, like mistakenly opening the door to Argus, wandering in and saying, uhn, what's this?

One of the things I like about each of these builds is the care the crafters took in making their posts, with detailed explanations about why this, allowing you to understand the underlying theorycrafting. And as a SSF player, these are all doable. They are all good at responding to questions about their builds (some of these have builds have close to 900 pages of posts and have been supported and updated by their crafters for years).

Cheers!

But following anothers build is like assembling an IKEA shelf, just follow step by step instructions, I feel like I am playing someone elses idea and design.

I like to experiment on my own and come up with my builds organically through trial and error.

To me that makes me feel attached to my character - having the ability to freely respec would only make me more attached to my character.
    The game (as currently designed and operated) encourages players to make new characters from scratch, and organically create new builds, rather than keep one character and re-spec. People are hitting max level in a week (or less) and they can generate a mid level character with a totally new design in days (hours). They do allow for limited (free) respec, as well as allowing people to trade for items for full respecs.

The bottom line is that this game is currently built around the concept of having many characters (with different builds if you like) rather than having only a few (that respec as needed). If you need proof of this, simply look at the events calendars... where they have you make new characters for hourly/daily/weekly races.

D3 to encourage building new character from scratch. Its called seasons. 

How respecing is not desirable for this game? What is objective reason to not implement it?

You still need to gather new gear, new skills etc. Exactly like when you make new character. 

And how free respec in any way go against hourly/daily/weekly races? You still need create new characters for this. 

Are you able to provide one objective reason why not implement free respec?
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    aliven said:
    DMKano said:
    Cazriel said:

mmrv said:

Tiamat64 said:

If it wasn't for that eerie claustrophobic feeling I get whenever I play this game these days, the lack of resets would probably keep me away anyways.  I start up the game after a long hiatus, look at the utterly massive passive tree, play around with a few builds in my head or on the skill planner, but just can't bring myself to click the "Confirm point allocation" button or whatever it's called because I'm paralyzed by fear so I just leave it be and then leave the game for another half year (well, more specifically, I run around a bit before I start getting feelings of actual depression at how SQUISHED everything looks because the camera's zoomed in so damn much and then after that I leave.  Dunno if they changed it to let you zoom out more since then but I haven't heard anything about it)

This a thousand times over, far to zoomed in and cannot see enough real estate on my screen, the ugly models dont help but if i could play without the feeling of my face mushed against the windshield I would really enjoy the game, until that happens i will always be out. Its the main visual fun of the genre and when you have such a small visual field its just bleh.

Honestly? The game is free. Give it a try. The graphic updates and model updates are very good. When I see people say graphics suck, I know they haven't touched 3.0. Graphics no longer suck. The entire game has been given a graphic overhaul. New design elements have been added. New mob models in all acts, new mob designs. It it no longer oppressively dark overall as it was years back.

What are you playing?

I play Solo Self-Found (SSF). I've got several builds lined up, pretty much in order I plan to play them:

Marauder Ice Crash: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1289037/page/1

A long-time favorite. Very interested to see how it plays in 3.0. This guy is very tough. A little slower than the others, but also very forgiving of mistakes, like mistakenly opening the door to Argus, wandering in and saying, uhn, what's this?

One of the things I like about each of these builds is the care the crafters took in making their posts, with detailed explanations about why this, allowing you to understand the underlying theorycrafting. And as a SSF player, these are all doable. They are all good at responding to questions about their builds (some of these have builds have close to 900 pages of posts and have been supported and updated by their crafters for years).

Cheers!

But following anothers build is like assembling an IKEA shelf, just follow step by step instructions, I feel like I am playing someone elses idea and design.

I like to experiment on my own and come up with my builds organically through trial and error.

To me that makes me feel attached to my character - having the ability to freely respec would only make me more attached to my character.
    The game (as currently designed and operated) encourages players to make new characters from scratch, and organically create new builds, rather than keep one character and re-spec. People are hitting max level in a week (or less) and they can generate a mid level character with a totally new design in days (hours). They do allow for limited (free) respec, as well as allowing people to trade for items for full respecs.

The bottom line is that this game is currently built around the concept of having many characters (with different builds if you like) rather than having only a few (that respec as needed). If you need proof of this, simply look at the events calendars... where they have you make new characters for hourly/daily/weekly races.

How respecing is not desirable for this game? What is objective reason to not implement it?

You still need to gather new gear, new skills etc. Exactly like when you make new character. 

And how free respec in any way go against hourly/daily/weekly races? You still need create new characters for this. 

It's likely a huge revenue source for them.  Can't complain about it as it is F2P
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545

Fights with my monk were just me and my enemy(ies) standing there spamming a couple of skills until the enemy died.  No dodging, or blocks, or anything meaningful.

For comparison with a similar combat system I never felt this way when playing Tree of Savior.  I can't quite put my finger on it.
    Tree of Savior has bosses who have the innate ability to knock you down with most attacks, so even against a boss where his attacks do nothing but tickle you, you still want to dodge out of the way because otherwise your character will get bounced around like a ping pong ball.

Most bosses have big tells to their attacks to give you a chance to react, and they also tend to have attacks that move them around so you have to be careful with aiming your own attacks too.

That isn't to say they don't have their flaws (one of the major ones being that besides the above, there's rarely anything else to most of them or their mechanics), but yea, they're an extremely different type of fight than most ARPGs because of the above.

Also, the fact that every skill in Tree of Savior has a cooldown that likely differs from the other skills in your repertoire might contribute a little to the impact feeling.  It's hard to feel impact when a skill can be spammed over and over as compared to a skill you can only use every once in a while but hurts hard when you do, and since all the CDs are different from each other, it's impossible to go into a repetitive rotation for most builds (alongside most skills having different hit boxes and range from each other and thus needing different methods of aiming)

Now if only Tree of Savior didn't have so many other various flaws that needed fixing...
    Kajidourden
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Tiamat64 said:

Fights with my monk were just me and my enemy(ies) standing there spamming a couple of skills until the enemy died.  No dodging, or blocks, or anything meaningful.

For comparison with a similar combat system I never felt this way when playing Tree of Savior.  I can't quite put my finger on it.
    Tree of Savior has bosses who have the innate ability to knock you down with most attacks, so even against a boss where his attacks do nothing but tickle you, you still want to dodge out of the way because otherwise your character will get bounced around like a ping pong ball.

Most bosses have big tells to their attacks to give you a chance to react, and they also tend to have attacks that move them around so you have to be careful with aiming your own attacks too.

That isn't to say they don't have their flaws (one of the major ones being that besides the above, there's rarely anything else to most of them or their mechanics), but yea, they're an extremely different type of fight than most ARPGs because of the above.

Also, the fact that every skill in Tree of Savior has a cooldown that likely differs from the other skills in your repertoire might contribute a little to the impact feeling.  It's hard to feel impact when a skill can be spammed over and over as compared to a skill you can only use every once in a while but hurts hard when you do, and since all the CDs are different from each other, it's impossible to go into a repetitive rotation for most builds (alongside most skills having different hit boxes and range from each other and thus needing different methods of aiming)

Now if only Tree of Savior didn't have so many other various flaws that needed fixing...

You're right, there was WAY more movement on both the boss and my part in that game and that really helps.  Same thing for normal mobs even, trying to avoid certain very nasty attacks.

If only the damn thing would keep you connected or not rubberband so awful!

It's likely a huge revenue source for them.  Can't complain about it as it is F2P
    That would be true if cosmetics on all kinds were character unlocks. I dont know enough about it to comment. Are those account based or character based? 
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,381
    IIRC the cosmetic unlocks are account wide, but only useable on one character at a time.   At least the ones I have are like that.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674
    I don't like the idea of respeccing. The entire thing is to be able to make, whatever you build, work throughout the content. It can still be played casually (I still call myself casual in PoE since I don't do any theorycrafting, but still play hc self found and doing just fine) without the need of planning.

Respeccing is meh. And don't add subscription options to a F2P game that ACTUALLY works out really well. Don't add gaps.

If you want to try a build; make sure to build towards those nodes that makes it possible to switch. Like... Projectile nodes. Then you can swap to whatever skill that uses projectiles. You might be limited to spell dmg, but combining respec points you get in the game and currency, that tbh isnt expensive, you can respec the more important nodes.
  • jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Just accept the devs vision of no easy respecs, it's their game not yours, if you don't like it don't play it, simple as that.
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    aliven said:
    DMKano said:
    Cazriel said:

mmrv said:

Tiamat64 said:

What are you playing?

Cheers!

The D3 Seasons are a result of Blizzard interpreting how POE does their Race Season. They still haven't caught up with all of the events ( https://www.pathofexile.com/seasons ).

POE does provide limited free respec. However, as much of the content is geared around people making new characters, the solution to a full respec is to make a new character.  If people could respec at will, they wouldnt do this, and would just sit at engame, rather than play through over and over again.

As for proof, just look at the events calendar, and see how much (if any) of this could be accomplished with a respec.
    DMKano said:
    I don't like the idea of respeccing. The entire thing is to be able to make, whatever you build, work throughout the content. It can still be played casually (I still call myself casual in PoE since I don't do any theorycrafting, but still play hc self found and doing just fine) without the need of planning.

Respeccing is meh. And don't add subscription options to a F2P game that ACTUALLY works out really well. Don't add gaps.

If you want to try a build; make sure to build towards those nodes that makes it possible to switch. Like... Projectile nodes. Then you can swap to whatever skill that uses projectiles. You might be limited to spell dmg, but combining respec points you get in the game and currency, that tbh isnt expensive, you can respec the more important nodes.

If sub option only added unlimited 100% respec - why would this matter to you or anyone who is ok with making lots of characters?

What if the respec was only limited to standard characters?

So paid respec option for standard characters only, this would be bad for the game.... how?
    Well, some players would have an issue (some always do). Those that are trading for in game items for their respec would feel that you are buying an advantage. Limiting it to standard would of course have someone in another league complain about that. 

I, personally, dont see any reason why it would hurt the game, or bother more than a small amount of players. However, i am also not sure that it would present a viable economic incentive for them to create or maintain this type of payment model (they do not do subs currently, and I am not sure that this would be the justification to start).
  • GoromhirGoromhir Member UncommonPosts: 463
    POE still has the worst 3rd person Camera angle/view of all games of that genre...
    To close to high above the character...
    Horrible.. alone for the terrible bad camera view i am not playing this game
    Diablo 3, marvel Heroes, Grim Dawn and and and.... they all do it right just not this game.
    Just accept the devs vision of no easy respecs, it's their game not yours, if you don't like it don't play it, simple as that.
    And do you understand that this is played because every single game in that genre currently cost money to buy? 

Also, somebody else payed for your playtime. That how f2p works. Unless it is you, who is a whale. Then you pay for other people. 

The D3 Seasons are a result of Blizzard interpreting how POE does their Race Season. They still haven't caught up with all of the events ( https://www.pathofexile.com/seasons ).

POE does provide limited free respec. However, as much of the content is geared around people making new characters, the solution to a full respec is to make a new character.  If people could respec at will, they wouldnt do this, and would just sit at engame, rather than play through over and over again.

As for proof, just look at the events calendar, and see how much (if any) of this could be accomplished with a respec.
    Buahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...
    Wait you are serious
    (deep breath)
    BUAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

PoE invented seasons?! BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Look on D2 mate. They invented seasons. 

Also - you still need to start from scratch for each season/event/race/whatever. So you create new char. So people still would play over and over.

My brother is full blown on PoE. He has the exact same characters he created x time ago. He isnt some no life or something. Free respecs given on skill changes means NOTHING for him because he doesnt have gear to switch high lvl character. Which proves my point - what good is respec if you have gear and skill ONLY for build you specialized in? In order to have free respec meaning you still need to play end game to get loot. For new playstyle. 

And people would still do new characters. Over and over. Look at some people on MMO, they can have x copy of class which is exactly the same. Like 4 hunters in wow, or 3 mesmers in GW2. 

And, as i said - event would require new characters. Exactly like now leagues. 
    Kajidourden
  • JakobmillerJakobmiller Member RarePosts: 674

Tiamat64 said:

You pretty much need to multiplayer it up at the highest levels in order to efficiently utilize maps, though.  Unless that changed with the Atlas update or something.  It's weird in that it's not about difficulty but in that if you aren't sharing/rotating maps, you're only getting a small portion of the exp you'd otherwise be getting per your own map use, for really indirect reasons.

To some extent, it sure is true. But you can make build that can basically run everything. I mean, people are level 99 on HC SSF. Myself at around 70 HC SSF. Everything needs to be done much slower, but I chose to play that way myself :)
  • cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    I think this is the best expansion to date. I think this changes the genre greatly with removing difficulties. While I want this to remain an ARPG hack and slash and I don't want it to fall victim to the pitfalls that MMOs do, I do get a feeling of story progression/character transition from one block of content to the next similar to how MMOs progress you from zone to zone. It feels like an MMO in that sense. Just don't put actual raids and junk like that into the game.

I am glad to see that ES builds are brought back to reality. It got tiresome to see the best builds CI with massive ES. Got tiresome to log into Twitch and see every single streamer running CI.

There are still some major issues that need to be addressed, like the unique drop rate for example. A lot of people are complaining that the drop rate is much lower than it even was before, and it was abysmal before. I have to agree. Before, I never got a build enabling drop. Always had to trade (and I don't trade). Now, forget it. In order to keep the game fresh for people and not get burnt out by the grind, the unique drop rate needs to be amped up just a bit (and not crappy uniques either.

And, this last bit is for me, and my personal opinion. I do think acts 5-10 are slightly over tuned (especially for a SSF player such as myself). I didn't die once act 1-4, a few times in 5, and then on various minor bosses and (ugh) act 10 Kitava...many many deaths. Its insane. Tune it down, reduce their HP as well. All of it has been a bit overkill. I like difficulity which is what sets this apart from D3, but this is too punishing and brutal. I think Act 5-10 effectively has removed me from the HC crowed because I just don't see how a SSF noob like myself can get anywhere close to mapping with these bosses in play. Theres now way I can do it. And Im kind of OK with being relegated to SC, but at the same time I don't think its a positive for the game to kind of force one out of a game mode he/she wants to enjoy.

Thats all from me. Amazing expansion.
    aliven said:

Buahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha...
    Wait you are serious
    (deep breath)
    BUAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

PoE invented seasons?! BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

Look on D2 mate. They invented seasons. 

Also - you still need to start from scratch for each season/event/race/whatever. So you create new char. So people still would play over and over.

My brother is full blown on PoE. He has the exact same characters he created x time ago. He isnt some no life or something. Free respecs given on skill changes means NOTHING for him because he doesnt have gear to switch high lvl character. Which proves my point - what good is respec if you have gear and skill ONLY for build you specialized in? In order to have free respec meaning you still need to play end game to get loot. For new playstyle. 

And people would still do new characters. Over and over. Look at some people on MMO, they can have x copy of class which is exactly the same. Like 4 hunters in wow, or 3 mesmers in GW2. 

And, as i said - event would require new characters. Exactly like now leagues. 
    D2 had Ladders, which are a bit less than seasons. POE launched with seasons (which you could reasonably say were an upgrade from ladders). D3 added their own seasons later, and incorporated some of the ideas that were used by POE. 
    [Deleted User]
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,067
    I was away on holiday and just got back and am only now going to start in on Path of Exile. I do know that following someone else's build is lame and horrible but I am dreadful at figuring things out for myself and I enjoy being able to let someone else do the thinking for me and damnit Path of Exile's tree is so damn hard too damn hard for me to figure out and not being respec friendly I would hate to make mistakes (well that was a run-on sentence if I ever saw one).
    Chamber of Chains
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    If you enjoy this game have fun, but it still takes a back seat to Grim Dawn in my book.  POE has some major issues, lack of respecs and a horrible inventory system.  If that does not bother you fine, but it certainly bothers me enough to NOT play it.