Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why do most people hate water combat so much in GW2? (Updated: Changes are live)

TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
edited May 2018 in Guild Wars 2
Seriously, I hear this a lot in this game and I have no idea why people have such an issue with it.  Is it because of the special underwater skills? The extra play axis you have to worry about enemies being on? The lack of running? Too hard? Afraid of water? what?

I absolutely think the underwater combat is something they should focus some more attention on, in fact they should make a whole episode devoted to underwater combat and new skills. I don't hear these same complaints in BDO, and the underwater movement is way worse than any other MMO I have played. What are your thoughts?

Updated: changes just went live https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/making-a-splash-changes-to-underwater-combat-and-rewards/

SWG Bloodfin vet
Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Post edited by Tiller on
Maurgrim

Comments

• SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192
    edited August 2017
    Its hard to target stuff, and the underwater skills are horrendous. Revenant doesn't even have underwater utilities they cared so little. 
    Thupli
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,765
    edited August 2017
    Been so since it came out yes.

For me it's always about localization, it's never been easy to localize yourself and the enemies as well target them while underwater was mostly why I avoided underwater, takes more effort to fight underwater I'd say.

It's like when going to fractals and the water one people went  "ew let's go back to lobby and re-roll this" haha

On the developers front, they didn't really tackle in the feedback and the path and mostly ignored underwater, and so it is what it is.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    My problem was with all of the games combat... js
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    You have to orient yourself to fighting vertical as well as horizontal.  I like it.
    rojoArcueid

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• SalmonManSalmonMan Member UncommonPosts: 192
    MaxBacon said:

It's like when going to fractals and the water one people went  "ew let's go back to lobby and re-roll this" haha
    Ironically, i rather like that fractal. Its very easy.
  • DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Compared to other games the under water exploration and combat is outstanding.
    But I think I told my Jedi Sage story from SWTOR once too often.

Either way it's still not good enough to be fun on a long term.
    The hitboxes of the gigantic event sharks in particular bug me a lot as well as their really strange and undodgeable attacks.
    Harbinger of Fools
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,122
    I quite like it. Compared to many other fantasy MMORPGs I've played it works quite well.

As for a whole area built around it, that would be quite limiting, due to the small number of actions available compared to normal for a prolonged length of time.

Since many appear not to like it, it is probably best to not put that much focus on it.
    SalmonMan said:
    Ironically, i rather like that fractal. Its very easy.
    Unless they rebalanced it, it became problematic as higher you went on them, then nobody cares to have good weapons and such underwater and RIP.
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    You have to orient yourself to fighting vertical as well as horizontal.  I like it.
    Yeah same, the flow is pretty natural, though I think the issues that may be turning people off is like what Dakeru said with the hit boxes and undodgeable attacks. It becomes more of a wack-a-mole game. If you get too far out of range they full heal, but sometimes you can never escape at all. They can hit you, but you can't hit them. Being a Thief I'm used to this, but some might not. I think maybe it would it draw more folks in if they actually focused on some balance and new skills. I have no issue with movement though; to me it's actually pretty fun.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    The funny part is that when an MMO doesn't have it, they get slammed for cheapening out on a "core feature."

I never thought of it as anything other than a little diversion from the "real game" that quickly loses its charm.
    SovrathMaxBaconMrMelGibsonKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    i think it's great.. only thing that annoys me is when you're jumping in and out of water and you have no weapons and utilities whatsoever and it feels like you're being pulled in various directions other than where you're trying to go.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286
    If they want underwater combat to be a thing, it needs a serious overhaul. However, if it's at the expense of something more important, well forget it. It was a novel idea, but turned out to be fairly clunky in its execution.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Iselin said:
    The funny part is that when an MMO doesn't have it, they get slammed for cheapening out on a "core feature."

I never thought of it as anything other than a little diversion from the "real game" that quickly loses its charm.
    Yeah I agree to an extent. Though I always thought it felt gimmicky/silly.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,324
    Really?
    Never thought about it.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    SalmonMan said:
    Its hard to target stuff, and the underwater skills are horrendous. Revenant doesn't even have underwater utilities they cared so little. 
    What?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    edited August 2017
    Kaneth said:
    If they want underwater combat to be a thing, it needs a serious overhaul. However, if it's at the expense of something more important, well forget it. It was a novel idea, but turned out to be fairly clunky in its execution.
    You have a ton of freedom with the underwater combat.
    The skills that target areas are a bit clunky underwater.

Otherwise the main problem is the lack of weapons/utility skills that work underwater, which lead to repetitive combat.
    Post edited by Gaia_Hunter on

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

edited August 2017
    Depends of the situation. When you say the water fractal on the situation enemies thread all over you'll struggle with localization, having to constantly play around with the camera.

But I think it's a mix of reasons of why underwater combat takes more effort, and lazy people be lazy.
    Kyleran
    I guess they are revamping underwater combat finally. I kind of hope they don't change too much of theif's mobility.
    SWG Bloodfin vet

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    People hate it!   Actually my experience is just the opposite.  I love it and many people Ive talked to in game feel same way.  Next Guild Wars 2 Expansion:  The Quaggan Empire!

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    I never figured out why people hate underwater gameplay in games in general. 

A bunch of landlubbers I tell yah!

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• maskedweaselmaskedweasel Member LegendaryPosts: 12,173
    It's pretty awful in general. Where to begin?  

Skills are severely limited so you can't use the same build you use on land as water in most cases.

Weapons are limited, so limited in fact that you only have one full set in any case, minus maybe the engineer that can equip kits, and really grenades are the only real option cause his other weps are slow and inefficient underwater.

You move too slowly.

It's hard to find where you're supposed to go underwater, I mean seriously, you're supposed to find a tiny cave mouth or area that opens into a cave somewhere, if you aren't looking at a guide, good luck.  I've done world completion 4 times, still have to look at guides for some underwater points.

Enemies are annoying, some pull you around, even if you're not near them, and going from land to water can be disorienting in some fights, if you happen to fall in. 

It's not all bad... but even before it launched I knew it was only going to be a poor attempt.. we've never really seen GOOD water gameplay in an MMO, so I didn't expect to see it with GW2.

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    To me it's the fact that going underwater feels like a step down in terms of power.

Your land skills feel impactful. The underwater skills are kind of meh. I don't mind doing the underwater content, but it comes across as a hassle to me.

Is it just me not being used to the underwater combos, or are those interaction significantly less powerful than their land counterparts?
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    "Underwater combat should not be any less effective than its on-land counterpart."

I'm looking forward to this! :grin:
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I think underwater combat in GW2 was good. It's not perfect, it needs more skills to choose from. If they are working on improving it then that's great news.

I have yet to see an mmo with better underwater combat.
    Also, before someone mentions ArcheAge and BDO, naval combat is not underwater combat so those games don't count.

My opinion.