Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some frustrating things.

MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
I've mostly enjoyed Morrowind.  But there are several things which annoy me.  Maybe someone can offer some advice to help me out a bit.
  • Movement obstacles.  Odd things in the environment block movement.  Chairs, some rocks, even some plants stop my character from moving.  It's an annoying thing, and frustrating when a mob jumps through you (not around) and a plant keeps you from turning to engage the mob.  Is there some way to turn off (or turn down) some of these collisions?
  • Grouping.  Is there anyway to see the people in a zone?  I want to take down a boss fight, but can't because I'm a healer type.  So, I tried the grouping functions.  All I can do at level 11 (or 15) is to queue for some dungeons.  I'm not interested in that.  I'm trying to fight something in the open world, or just looking for an adventuring group.  How can I see the names of people to invite?
  • Travel.  My crafting character finished one of the writs, and I needed to deliver the finished goods to somewhere.  I can see the place to deliver it to by using the Show On Map function of the quest.   The quest destination is for 'Daggerfall Covenant' and the map shows some city location.   But there are no names on either the quest or the map of where this destination is.  Worse, the Navigator character has a destination for Daggerfall Covenant, but sends me to the wrong city entirely.  It there some way to see a full world map in the game with place names?
  • Hunting.  Is there some in-game guide for where I should hunt at specific levels?
Any help would be appreciated.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Environmental collisions are what they are. You can't turn them on/off or modify them. I can't say I've ever found them bothersome save the odd glitch here and there when you try to jump over something that seems the right height and you get stuck in a slow motion animation.

There is no /who zone command. People do get help with group content through general chat though.

Sounds like you've been playing just in Vvardenfell after the tutorial. As I've said many times here, even though the game encourages you to do that, you really shouldn't. Lots of things in the game are logically arranged to have you play through the original sequential alliance zones. If you follow the old Soul Shriven tutorial and carry on where it drops you off in your alliance's starting islands and keep following the breadcrumb quests until you get to the first full zone, little things like where to turn in your first crafting writ, where to do the first quests for the fighter's and mage's guild, get your first mundus stone buff, etc., are all presented in a  new player friendly way with easy to find locations near where you are by default. Both the One Tamriel update that got rid of mob levels and alliance restrictions as well as the Vvardenfell addition are great additions to the game but only if you already know what to do and where to go. They can confuse the crap out of new players though because the game at its core is still designed to be best done in its original legacy version going from A -> B -> C in a specific order. You now have the freedom to not do that but together with that freedom comes the need to figure things out yourself without a lot of in-game help.

As to the simple answer of where you need to go to turn in your crafting writ, it's most likely in the first city of the first full zone in your alliance where you would have been given your first crafting writ quest if you'd been playing the game the old linear way. I can't remember what that city is in the Daggerfall Covenant since I typically play Dominion but whatever it is, its wayshrine will be unlocked for you by default from the start of the game. Forget the Navigators and just wayshrine to it.

As far as hunting goes, in theory you should be able to go anywhere at any level. But see above about following the original linear format since that also introduces you to mob fighting in a progressive way. ESO has a mix of different difficulty mobs despite the lack of levels. Mudcrabs, skeevers and wolves are very easy and trolls, giants, mammoths, etc. are harder. They also ramp up the difficulty with the number of linked mobs you'll need to fight at once. The original beginner islands don't have the higher difficulty mobs in them and they very rarely link more than 2 mobs to fight. Regular zones, including Vvardenfell, are not as low-level friendly. This is specially the case if you go into delves or public dungeons. In the later the packs are usually 6-10 mobs at a time and then there are the bosses in there to contend with.

The best way to start ESO for any new player is still very much the original way. This is what a new player with Morrowind access should do to be introduced to the game properly:

1. Do the Morrowind Tutorial.
    2. After that is completes and you're dropped off in Vvardenfell, turn in the tutorial quest and head for the first wayshrine just outside the village.
    3. Wayshrine to the starter city for your alliance.
    4. Accept the quest to go see the Benefactor.
    5. Follow that other Coldharbour tutorial to its end
    6. Level-up in the starter island(s) where you get dropped off after that and follow those quests until you get to your alliance's main starter city.
    7. Grab the Fighter's and Mage's intro quest lines, join the undaunted, grab the mundus stone for its permanent buff near that first city, do crafting writs if you want, do one or a couple of the Main Story Harborage quests for their skill point reward (and do the introductory Cyrodiil quests at level 10 for 2 very easy and safe - as in no PVP required - skill points that gives you.)
    8. Now you have a choice to continue with the quests for that zone which was the old natural progression, or go back to Vvardenfell or to any other zone you want to go to. That alliance zone you're in will still be easier though since it continues the same original design principle of introducing you to progressively tougher content slowly.

And a word of advice about leveling a healer. You really should build that character as both healer and magicka DPS for all the solo content you'll need to do along the way. The low-damage heal-heavy role is really only for group play and even there, some AOE DPS (at least the destro staff blockade skill using a lightning staff if possible) is also a big help for trash packs.

The game channels you toward an AOE DPS heavy play style everywhere else. When soloing you really should only have one or maybe two heals slotted and the rest DPS with a heavy emphasis on AOE. 

Hope this helps.
    [Deleted User]MendelAethaeryngervaise1KyleranRidelynnOzmodanbartoni33MrMelGibsonOctagon7711
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Thanks, @Iselin.  I gave up the port where the navigator sent me.  The navigator where I was eventually sent me to the right place.

I have to say, the quests for Daggerfell proper are much better.  I've yet to see a quest reward that gives 2 items + a skill point, but most of the main story Harborage quests do just that.  And the items seem to be more appropriate for the class (2H Sword for my DK).  Needless to say, I will be transferring both of my characters ASAP.

I only ran the introduction tutorial once, and the 2nd character was dumped in Vvardenfell without giving me any option.  I've pretty much been able to do all the Morrowind quests up to the final boss.  Those are a magnitude more difficult.

The writing is generally pretty good for the quests.  There's a bit too much reliance on voice acting (without transcripts -- if there was a way to turn that on, I'd be golden).

Another question.  Is there any way to respec?  If so, when would you suggest doing so?  My 15 DK is pretty much all in 1 class line and 2Hand weapons, with a couple of extras (dialog skills + too much crafting).

Mendel said:

The writing is generally pretty good for the quests.  There's a bit too much reliance on voice acting (without transcripts -- if there was a way to turn that on, I'd be golden).

Another question.  Is there any way to respec?  If so, when would you suggest doing so?  My 15 DK is pretty much all in 1 class line and 2Hand weapons, with a couple of extras (dialog skills + too much crafting).
    There's an option under "sound" to turn on subtitles.

The respec shrines are typically in the main city of the second alliance zone you get to - the same city that has the Unadaunted Enclave where you get daily dungeon quests after level 45. For a gold cost you can re-do you basic stats or all your skills or just your morphs.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I usually do the 3 starter islands first, then the cities because the quests are close together, then Daggerfall because I like that entire area the best.  I'll also join fighters and mage guilds as soon as possible for persuasion and intimidate skills, and do their quests lines. While doing the main and personal quest lines I'll jump back and forth from thieves guild to black hand quests.  Also dungeons along the way.  All without crafting.  Leveling has become so easy in this game.  
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

I usually do the 3 starter islands first, then the cities because the quests are close together, then Daggerfall because I like that entire area the best.  I'll also join fighters and mage guilds as soon as possible for persuasion and intimidate skills, and do their quests lines. While doing the main and personal quest lines I'll jump back and forth from thieves guild to black hand quests.  Also dungeons along the way.  All without crafting.  Leveling has become so easy in this game.  
    Yeah it's very easy... for those of us who have been around it for a while.

I level alts as a side hobby lol. Sounds crazy but I enjoy the repetition of content with wacky new builds.

If I'm leveling a DPS/healer it's even easier since a random dungeon queue will pop for a healer instantly. Doing that I can even pick and choose dungeons to run just for the first-run skill point and get in there in minutes.

I've run all the dungeons many times in all roles and I find it fun going in with new players and showing them the mechanics. I guess ESO dungeon tour guide is my other unofficial hobby :) 
    Octagon7711KyleranMrMelGibson

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Yeah it's very easy... for those of us who have been around it for a while.

I level alts as a side hobby lol. Sounds crazy but I enjoy the repetition of content with wacky new builds.

If I'm leveling a DPS/healer it's even easier since a random dungeon queue will pop for a healer instantly. Doing that I can even pick and choose dungeons to run just for the first-run skill point and get in there in minutes.

I've run all the dungeons many times in all roles and I find it fun going in with new players and showing them the mechanics. I guess ESO dungeon tour guide is my other unofficial hobby :) 
    One of the best moments in MMO's ever.  Being brand new to a game and another player gives you the tour, a great starter weapon, or some much-needed advice.  I can remember being helped like that in nearly every MMO I've played and it never gets old. :smile:
    MrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    Iselin said:

The best way to start ESO for any new player is still very much the original way. This is what a new player with Morrowind access should do to be introduced to the game properly:

1. Do the Morrowind Tutorial.
    2. After that is completes and you're dropped off in Vvardenfell, turn in the tutorial quest and head for the first wayshrine just outside the village.
    3. Wayshrine to the starter city for your alliance.
    4. Accept the quest to go see the Benefactor.
    5. Follow that other Coldharbour tutorial to its end
    6. Level-up in the starter island(s) where you get dropped off after that and follow those quests until you get to your alliance's main starter city.
    7. Grab the Fighter's and Mage's intro quest lines, join the undaunted, grab the mundus stone for its permanent buff near that first city, do crafting writs if you want, do one or a couple of the Main Story Harborage quests for their skill point reward (and do the introductory Cyrodiil quests at level 10 for 2 very easy and safe - as in no PVP required - skill points that gives you.)
    8. Now you have a choice to continue with the quests for that zone which was the old natural progression, or go back to Vvardenfell or to any other zone you want to go to. That alliance zone you're in will still be easier though since it continues the same original design principle of introducing you to progressively tougher content slowly.

Hope this helps.
    I just printed this out and I never print these days. . awesome suggestions.
    Octagon7711MrMelGibson

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    Bookmarking this for @Iselin awesome short and helpful post.
    Chamber of Chains
  • SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    Just in case anybody was wondering..

I am still addicted to ESO

Sz  :)

[Deleted User]MrMelGibsonOctagon7711
    More questions.
    • Is there a way to turn off the Vvardenfell quests so they won't appear in the quest rotation?  I don't want to outright abandon them, but I have other quests to do at the moment.
    • What are the 3 starter islands?
    Other observations.
    • The 'old' areas have a vendor for increased Bag space in addition to the Bank space upgrade.  I never found a similar vendor on Vvardenfell.  With 2 characters harvesting, it takes me almost an hour to swap mats to my craftsman, and I can rarely fit all the materials in the bank at once.  Improving the bank and bag spaces seems to be critical.  At least, I haven't run into a RM pay wall (yet).  I don't know if this vendor was omitted or I simply missed it, this is too vital a game function to not be included on Vvardenfell.
    • Harvested materials are much easier to see in the desert.  Vvardenfell's lush foliage and ground cover makes the Spot Material skills too necessary.
    • I'm still not a fan of mouse-look driving; I'd rather the A and D (or left and right) actually turn left and right rather than moving.  Until I stumbled across the Auto-run bindings, the 2-handed movement was frustrating.  Now, it's only frustrating when I don't remember to turn auto-run on.
    Thanks for the help, everyone.  Now that I'm on the older starting islands, both characters have begun to level up nicely.

@Mendel

The only ways I know to make the quest tracker point you to the quest you actually want to be working on is to choose it manually from the Journal (J) or to click on the objective marker for that quest on the map. Otherwise it just seems to have a mind of its own and will set itself to whatever it wants with little or no logic. There's no way to suppress some quests and not others unless there's an addon out there I don't know about that does that.

The starter islands are different for each alliance. The Dominion has just one, Khenarthi's Roost, which is the one I know best since I'm an AD lifer. The other alliances split their "starter island" into either 2 islands or one island plus a small chunk of the continent. In any case, you know you're in the right place if the armor/weapon sets that you find in chests or get as a reward from some quests are part of the "Trainee" set.

That's another reason why it's a good idea to level there first since that armor set is a nice general purpose one that boosts all 3 main stats making it useful for any type of build when you're low level.
    MrMelGibsonOctagon7711

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Thanks, @Iselin.  I've had several pieces of the Trainee gear, and from several different sets of gear found in Vvardenfell.  There's too many sets of gear too soon, maybe.  It's all confusing.   I'm trying to go strictly Light armor with my Templar, and Heavy with the DK.  Storage is still a big issue for me, and will be for a while longer.  70 Templar / 70 DK and / 80 bank (the big purchase for the day).  Another game where I'm grinding for money to buy basic functionality.  *sigh*

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    I'll come back if they ever get rid of the archetypes and let you place your points in any of the skill lines. You know, build your own character? That's the most frustrating thing about the game. Lack of freedom.

Mendel said:
    Thanks, @Iselin.  I've had several pieces of the Trainee gear, and from several different sets of gear found in Vvardenfell.  There's too many sets of gear too soon, maybe.  It's all confusing.   I'm trying to go strictly Light armor with my Templar, and Heavy with the DK.  Storage is still a big issue for me, and will be for a while longer.  70 Templar / 70 DK and / 80 bank (the big purchase for the day).  Another game where I'm grinding for money to buy basic functionality.  *sigh*
    Yeah I can relate to your storage issues but only from a historical perspective, since it has been a long time since I was gold poor myself :)

Getting your personal inventory to 90 or 100 should probably be your first gold sink since it's annoying to have to constantly go back to vendors. I would put that ahead of buying a mount since the extensive wayshrine system makes mounts anywhere other than PVP in Cyrodiil just a luxury.
    Mendel

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Mendel said:
    All your inventory issues would be resolved if you subbed. Crafting bag is awesome.
    Mendel said:
    All your inventory issues would be resolved if you subbed. Crafting bag is awesome.
    Although I can certainly understand some level of paid relief from inconvenience in sub-optional MMORPGs, ESO's storage floor is particularly obnoxious.

Heck I do sub so I have the crafting bag and have my bank maxed @ 480 slots and I still find myself needing to spend way more time managing inventory than I want to.
    MrMelGibsonMendel

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Iselin said:
    Mendel said:
    Although I can certainly understand some level of paid relief from inconvenience in sub-optional MMORPGs, ESO's storage floor is particularly obnoxious.

Heck I do sub so I have the crafting bag and have my bank maxed @ 480 slots and I still find myself needing to spend way more time managing inventory than I want to.
    Fair enough.  It's just it seems he/she really enjoys crafting.  The crafting bag is almost a must if you plan on doing more than one crafting imo.  But you're right, it's not absolutely necessary.
    I usually do the 3 starter islands first...
    You do the 3 starter islands of the 3 factions with the same character?
    Yep, and with the different classes.

Iselin said:
    Mendel said:

Yeah, it was so bad a lot of people would create alts and buy second accounts just for storage.  My solution was not to craft.  I don't craft much in most games anyways and ESO leveling with gear and weapons from drops and quests wasn't a problem.  Probably really needed for PvP which I don't do in this game.
    MrMelGibson

The subscription is the pay wall I was referencing above.  It may not seem much to you, but $13 a month is excessive to me.  Throwing money at a problem was never a satisfying solution even when my financial situation was different.

Sixty slots is an awful lot of storage compared to games like PWE or LotRO, until I saw how quickly that filled up with far too many crafting items (which still requires an in-game store purchase of style materials to actually make something).  (PWE and LotRO both fill your character up with all manner of daily presents which do nothing except eat away at your inventory space).  Do I really need to go from Raw Jute to Jute to craft low-level cloth armor?  That seems like something that could be abstracted, especially as the Jute runs out at level 14 and starts again as Raw Flax and Flax.  This system seems more aligned with 'selling' inventory space than creating a complex crafting system.  To me, that is suspect design.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami

Mendel said:

Sixty slots is an awful lot of storage compared to games like PWE or LotRO, until I saw how quickly that filled up with far too many crafting items (which still requires an in-game store purchase of style materials to actually make something).  (PWE and LotRO both fill your character up with all manner of daily presents which do nothing except eat away at your inventory space).  Do I really need to go from Raw Jute to Jute to craft low-level cloth armor?  That seems like something that could be abstracted, especially as the Jute runs out at level 14 and starts again as Raw Flax and Flax.  This system seems more aligned with 'selling' inventory space than creating a complex crafting system.  To me, that is suspect design.
    I would agree that it does seem to be "inconvenience by design" in order to monetize it except that the storage issues have always been part of ESO right from launch and long before the sub became optional.

The crafting bag wasn't even added to the game until June 2016 - more than 2 years after launch and more than a year after it went B2P and added a crown store; and double the bank space for ESO+ was just added a couple of months ago.

I think it was a just a case of inadequate design considering the large quantity of items that need storage space and compounded by having only an account shared bank instead of a character bank + shared bank as many other MMOs have done in the past.

We all had to live with crafting without a bag and with the same storage limit numbers for 2 years. We did it by having several crafting mules and passing the items specific to their craft through the bank so they could store it in their personal inventory and after the sub became optional before they added the crafting bag, many of us bought 2nd basic accounts when they went on sale to have extra mules with the added benefit of being able to mail things to the other account from anywhere in the world... I got my 2nd account for $9.99 and I still use it extensively whenever I don't sub since I don't always have my sub active.

I also used to routinely ditch any common crafting style stones to free-up space since the crafting vendors sell those anyway. The same for trait stones for traits I never used. Likewise with provisioning mats I used to always ditch drink-specific mats since I always crafted food and never drinks. But yeah, a lot of micromanagement required.

I personally don't find needing to process raw mats to refined mats nor having level tiered mats odd since that's pretty standard MMORPG crafting in a lot of games. Also the refinement process is your main source of upgrade tempers which you'll need to improve both crafted and dropped gear and also sells very well if you don't want to use them.

And no you don't need to buy style items from the cash shop. In the first place every character knows the style for their race automatically and style books for other racial styles are rare, but not too rare, drops from containers. At worst if you need to buy them, the common "blue" styles sell for around 3-400 gold at any guild vendor.
    Gdemami

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Mendel said:
    The subscription is the pay wall I was referencing above.  It may not seem much to you, but $13 a month is excessive to me.  Throwing money at a problem was never a satisfying solution even when my financial situation was different.
    What I will say now may sound harsh, but please think about it...

If you can't afford $13 a month... I'm going to try to sound as nice as possible when saying that but... shouldn't you be searching for a better income source before spending hours playing a video game? $13 is the price of a movie at the theater these days. $13 means two hours of "fun" watching a movie or... countless hours of "fun" playing a good MMORPG.
    I think you just gave Karma an orgasm.  I would not want to be you, Jean.  I feel so sorry for the Advantaged.  Let me just give you a small hint:  there are more people than jobs, foo.  Who's job did you steal so you can have a nice fat paycheck?  Are you telling me poor people are not important.  That making money defines who we are?  That we should not want anything when we are poor because we are not worthy of want?  Be so very carful, She's touching herself and watching you.

Gdemami

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044
    edited August 2017
    Mendel said:
    What I will say now may sound harsh, but please think about it...

If you can't afford $13 a month... I'm going to try to sound as nice as possible when saying that but... shouldn't you be searching for a better income source before spending hours playing a video game? $13 is the price of a movie at the theater these days. $13 means two hours of "fun" watching a movie or... countless hours of "fun" playing a good MMORPG.
    I think you just gave Karma an orgasm.  I would not want to be you, Jean.  I feel so sorry for the Advantaged.  Let me just give you a small hint:  there are more people than jobs, foo.  Who's job did you steal so you can have a nice fat paycheck?  Are you telling me poor people are not important.  That making money defines who we are?  That we should not want anything when we are poor because we are not worthy of want?  Be so very carful, She's touching herself and watching you.

The good captain is probably talking about prioritizing your money better.

I do remember when I was younger I would have had a hard time coming up with $13 a month to blow on a game. I would have prioritized other forms of entertainment like weed and beer over a game. But their were no online games then, at least like their is now.

EDIT: Nope I was wrong after reading the post below me. I also agree 100% with it too.
    [Deleted User][Deleted User]

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

Anyone know how the new DLC is going?  I see a lot of nerf bat is being used.

Anyone know how the new DLC is going?  I see a lot of nerf bat is being used.
    It's just routine buff/nerf stuff for set bonus stats, traits and mundus stones mostly but nothing drastic. 
    postlarval

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED