Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Storm approaches

francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
edited August 2017 in Camelot Unchained
So much magic flowing into our world now...

What if it triggers a Veilstorm...

We may soon need stormwatch towers =)

http://camelotunchained.com/v3/its-abot-time-friday-august-4-2017/
Post edited by francis_baud on
RealizerJamesGoblin

Comments

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    i dont get it
    MrMelGibsonJamesGoblin

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    time007 said:
    i dont get it
    In today's update we can see screenshots of bots casting tons of magical spells and also concept art of stormwatch towers. In CU a high concentration of magic may trigger a Veilstorm. Stormwatch towers will be used, I guess, to watch for incoming storms.

JamesGoblin
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    I can't wait till they start refining and getting a bit more permanent particle effects for spells.  I'm definitely enjoying the direction of the architecture.  

francis_baudPottedPlant22JamesGoblin
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    I can't wait until players get to try it, instead of the bots having all the fun. ;)
    MrMelGibsonbcbullyfrancis_baudYashaX[Deleted User]Octagon7711JamesGoblinManWithNoTan

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    DAoC was my first mmo.  My first love I suppose you could say.  I remember my Thane and miss him :smile: .  Can't wait to see what this mmo becomes.
    francis_baud[Deleted User]JamesGoblin
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    DAoC was my first mmo.  My first love I suppose you could say.  I remember my Thane and miss him :smile: .  Can't wait to see what this mmo becomes.

DAoC was my second MMO, after EQ.  It was the only MMO in which I've really enjoyed PvP.  I loved my Midgard hunter and skald.  I especially liked popping clothies out of stealth with the hunter.  Cheap and dirty but oh-so-fun.
    [Deleted User]JamesGoblinMrMelGibson
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Sooooooooo, it took 18 months to get some bots into the game? I believe they had bots before the KS concluded. Color me unimpressed. Glad to see that some aren't wasting their cynicism here, though :wink:
    GdemamiJamesGoblin

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    CrazKanuk said:
    Sooooooooo, it took 18 months to get some bots into the game? I believe they had bots before the KS concluded. Color me unimpressed. Glad to see that some aren't wasting their cynicism here, though :wink:
    I agree that using bots isn't impressive in itself. What I find amazing is that the engine and server tech are performing exceptionally well even with all the stuff they've been adding (biome with dense forests, HDR/PBR, huge draw distance, hundreds of bots and players, projectiles, new VFX, new animations, server-side physics, etc.).

There are only a very few game engines that can support hundreds of players in a small area with decent performances (Forgelight, Spenefett, Unigine maybe), so I consider it a feat already, plus the fact that Unchained was developed by a small studio and on a tiny budget.

When CSE will release a gameplay video showing all what they've been accomplishing in the last year it's going to be easier to be impressed than simply looking at a few screenshots. =P 

[Deleted User]Octagon7711JamesGoblinnurso
  • MarkJacobsMarkJacobs CEO City State EntertainmentMember RarePosts: 649
    edited August 2017
    time007 said:
    i dont get it
    In today's update we can see screenshots of bots casting tons of magical spells and also concept art of stormwatch towers. In CU a high concentration of magic may trigger a Veilstorm. Stormwatch towers will be used, I guess, to watch for incoming storms.

Correct. That is why the Stormwatch towers were first built. They will also serve a function in the released game.
    Realizer said:
    I can't wait till they start refining and getting a bit more permanent particle effects for spells.  I'm definitely enjoying the direction of the architecture.  

We're getting very close to that point. The new & improved VFX system is being put through its paces in the Big Bot tests and we have more improvements and tweaks going in after that. Once that happens, it will be basically Beta 1 ready and Mike can really start having fun with it.
    Kyleran said:
    I can't wait until players get to try it, instead of the bots having all the fun. ;)
    Hopefully, tomorrow afternoon. We ran a late internal BB test a couple of hours ago and everything is looking good.
    Thanks, me too!

DAoC was my second MMO, after EQ.  It was the only MMO in which I've really enjoyed PvP.  I loved my Midgard hunter and skald.  I especially liked popping clothies out of stealth with the hunter.  Cheap and dirty but oh-so-fun.
    :)

CrazKanuk said:
    Actually, that's not true. What we showed at the Kickstarter, and we were very clear about that, was the ability to render a lot of NPCs on the client side, we did not call them BOTs and they were not networked. BOTs, on the other hand, are remote, fully networked and autonomous PC clients. There is no game in the world that has shown that they can handle 2K PC players in a small space. The closest was SOE with the Planetside games' engine but even then, they weren't doing server-side physics (like we are) and they topped out at 1,158 (http://www.pcgamer.com/planetside-2-breaks-world-record-for-most-players-in-an-fps-battle/). So, since we had a test last week, with Backers, that went well above that number, I consider it pretty impressive for an Alpha engine. OTOH, your mileage may vary. :)

CrazKanuk said:
    I agree that using bots isn't impressive in itself. What I find amazing is that the engine and server tech are performing exceptionally well even with all the stuff they've been adding (biome with dense forests, HDR/PBR, huge draw distance, hundreds of bots and players, projectiles, new VFX, new animations, server-side physics, etc.).

There are only a very few game engines that can support hundreds of players in a small area with decent performances (Forgelight, Spenefett, Unigine maybe), so I consider it a feat already, plus the fact that Unchained was developed by a small studio and on a tiny budget.

When CSE will release a gameplay video showing all what they've been accomplishing in the last year it's going to be easier to be impressed than simply looking at a few screenshots. =P 

Thanks, and you are correct. While I don't expect we'll be the only team to do this in the near future, we are certainly already, at least engine-wise, at another level of performance on both the client and server from where we were last year. This is especially true when you factor in the new animation system (which has a few quite interesting elements) and the improved VFX system.

[Deleted User]francis_baudJamesGoblinManWithNoTanMrMelGibsoncameltosisRealizerMarcus-

Mark Jacobs
    CEO, City State Entertainment