Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much do you guys play?

CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
I think the highest I averaged was approximately 50 hours per week, that was from between 2003-2005. I then averaged 20-40 for awhile. During professional school, I think I hit 20-30 max, but more 10-20 per hour. 

Now with a wife and kid and working 60-80 hours per week. I average about 5-10 per week with a max of 20 per week when my wife and kid are out of town. I pretty much only have a 2 hour window to play games and I am always on-call while doing it. The more I play, the more sleep I lose basically. Such is life. 

I always wonder how often some people play. 

Cryomatrix
Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
How much do you guys play?
  1. How much do you guys play?42 votes
    1. 0-4 hours per week
        7.14%
    2. 5-10 hours per week
      16.67%
    3. 10-15 hours per week
        7.14%
    4. 15-20 hours per week
      16.67%
    5. 20 - 30 hours per week
      26.19%
    6. 30-40 hours per week
      11.90%
    7. 40-50 hours per week
        2.38%
    8. 50-60 hours per week
        2.38%
    9. 60-70 hours per week
        4.76%
    10. 70+ hours per week
        4.76%

Comments

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    In the summer, 0-4
    In the winter i may get up to 5-10

Too busy and most of my free time I prefer interacting with people in the real world. 

Gaming is for for nights where I have nothing else to do, bad weather days, or situations where I'm stuck at home. 
    Phaserlight

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    ..most of my free time I prefer interacting with people in the real world. ...
    holy blaz the imagery

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    @Cryomatrix ;

at 17 I played more then 40 yours.
    at 27 I played between 30 and 40 hours
    at 37 I played between 20 and 30 hours
    and now 39 that I got a actual rl thing going, up to ten hours.  
    I expect it will go up again at the age of 59.. 
    we all need a hobby at every age :)
    AmathePhaserlight
    edited August 2017
    Eladi said:
    @Cryomatrix ;

at 17 I played more then 40 yours.
    at 27 I played between 30 and 40 hours
    at 37 I played between 20 and 30 hours
    and now 39 that I got a actual rl thing going, up to ten hours.  
    I expect it will go up again at the age of 59.. 
    we all need a hobby at every age :)
    I am almost 50, work a normal 40 hours, dont really have much else going on but my energy level is dropping rather quickly so 15-20 a week, then the next week maybe 10, then back to 20 etc but I also watch a lot of youtube videos so not playing but kinda sorta know whats going on

SEANMCAD said:
    holy blaz the imagery
    For a person who "claims" to be ignoring me in your signature, you spend a lot of time responding to me. 

Your obsession with me is flattering but I'm not into other men. Sorry.

SEANMCAD said:
    holy blaz the imagery
    For a person who "claims" to be ignoring me in your signature, you spend a lot of time responding to me. 

Your obsession with me is flattering but I'm not into other men. Sorry.
    ok thanks

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Retired, play as much as I want or don't want.
    PhaserlightKyleran
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    There are differences for me.  As a teacher I get summers off.  So I have more time in the summer.  I think another consideration is a playing a newer game you get immersed in.  This summer, end of May and most of June I averaged about 5-10 hours a week.  Once SWL was released, I got immersed and averaged more like 40-50 hours a week.  
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    When I was in middle school / highschool I was pulling 40+ a week, probably more like 50+ normally. From like 18 to 24 I was doin 20 to 30 depending on what was going on. Now that I'm 26 with a 40+ hour job a week I'm thinking I do 15 to 20 hours a week. But it depends on what is going on, sometimes it might be more or if my commute is longer or I work longer it might be less. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Who could do over 70+ hours a week unless you worked for a gaming company?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

I suspect that's nothing more than an attempt at e-peening.

Who plays video games for 70+ Hours a week unless they're retired, disabled, or unemployed? Those are the only reasons I can think of that would allow for the time sink.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    5-10 hours per week. Closer to 5 than 10. 
    Phaserlight

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223

I technically work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off, but the reality is, I don't as i have a wife and kid. But let's say in the future, when I'm off and my kid goes to school and if hell freezes over (i.e. my wife gets a job), i'll play 8 hours a day M-F, then 16 hours both weekend days and boom you hit 72. 

Problem is, I play Path of Exile mainly, I'd have to get super immersed in a game or play more than 1 game at a time. Also with PoE, since I play HC only, if I die I take a break. 

Hmm, also I think I could do 70 hours a week only during some weeks. As I rotate my location per week. 

10 hours a day x 7 = 70 hours. Work for 8 hours, sleep for 6 hours, and game for 10 hours. Hell you could nap at work :). Better to work for 6 hours, nap for 2 hours at work, sleep for 4 hours at home, game for 10 hours :)

Here's another question, what's the most you've played in a row: I'm somewhere between 24-30 hours. 

Cryomatrix
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    MMOs? Rarely any, most MMOs are tailored for an audience that ends up making the game complete boring for me.

Lately I've been playing realistic military shooter types.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    it can be pretty hardcore depending on how much i'm enjoying myself. but the time spent tends to diminsh the more i play a game. sooner or later i get bored.

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Now that I think about it.  I've known people who played 16 hours a day.  New game launch and they were on vacation or school break.  That's 112 hours easy.  

I wonder what's the record?  Looked it up.
    Guinness record of longest game session set at 135 hours with Black Ops 2. The Guinness World Record for longest video game marathon was set by Australian Okan Kaya this week, after he played Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 for 135 hours over seven days.Nov 22, 2012

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

MMOs? Rarely any, most MMOs are tailored for an audience that ends up making the game complete boring for me.

Lately I've been playing realistic military shooter types.
    have you checked out Arma 3?

• RofusEURofusEU Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Maybe 20-30. Depends totally on if I have something to good to play and how busy I am otherwise. Like when Conan Exiles came to early access I noticed quickly that I had well over 200 hours on it. In May and June I didn't really play anything, some Heroes of the Storm every now and then. I really need a good new MMORPG to sink my teeth in soon :D
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    edited August 2017
    I play 1-2h a day, life doesn't allow me more. But I get to have windows of freedom from time to time that I'd usually do 24-48h marathons. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    I probably only game 5-10 hours a week on average. 

Since quitting SW:TOR early 2013, I haven't found another MMO that I want to play so my main addictive gaming motivation is gone. I only play single player games which are completed quickly, but a lot I give up on quickly too. 

What tends to happen is I'll have 1 or 2 decent gaming sessions a week. So, if I have a Saturday free, I'll get all my chores done, cook a nice evening meal, then maybe game solidly from 7pm - 2am. I might not game again until the following Saturday. However, if I'm playing a game like Cities Skylines, or Prison Architect, those are the sorts of games I can play in the background so I'm more likely to turn them on, tinker a bit and then leave running whilst I cook / eat / smoke. If the game requires my full attention then I'm much less likely to play on a work night. 
  • LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    My gaming has dropped drastically to maybe 2 hours a night at most. 
    -- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Elsabolts said:
    Retired, play as much as I want or don't want.
    Living the dream..though care must be taken to avoid burn out I would imagine.
    Phaserlight

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    Due to MMORPG exhaustion my play time had dropped a lot, actually didn't play any games some evening. Weird.

Since deciding to catch up on single player games I'm now remembering how little sleep I can run on.

B)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    edited August 2017
    Ever since I stopped playing mmorpg my gaming time keeps fluctuating. I can play RPG's for 3-5 hours session, in games with intense combat I play 60-90 minutes sessions and then there are times I don't play games for weeks.

During weeks when I have fun games to play and not extremely active social life I probably average at 15-20 hours per week. Last week I didn't play anything at all.

Its far from my MMORPG gaming days when on a regular week I played 20-30 hours and while I was in between jobs I played for 70 hours or more per week.

(edited due to formatting issues)
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • shetlandslarsenshetlandslarsen Member UncommonPosts: 203
    Well i am disabled so i have much free time so i usually log 60+ hrs a week. 
    I am a scizo misanthrope. So one day I may go BANZAI on your post.
    Have not yet though. Maybe there is hope?
    Nah there is really none for me or the human race.