Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How is the game?

Truvidien88Truvidien88 Member UncommonPosts: 462
By watching some of the streamers the game doesn't look that bad. I was wondering compared to the other games like Citadel & Ark how does this compare to it? I've been looking for a survival game where as a casual gamer I'm able to build stuff or farm without my stuff getting wrecked while I'm at work.

Thanks!

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited July 2017
    The game itself has potential, but the real question is if Snail games can bring it to fruition. Personally, I do not feel they can since they do not have a good track record in the western market, but I also do not know the individuals behind Citadel. Snail games has partnered closely with Ark and there are a huge amount of similarities between the two games, just really different settings. I'd take a wait and see approach with this title at best since its currently massively rough in its current state, plus it'll be good to see how much care Snail Games gives this title over 2-3 months. If they take care of the game and give it good improvements, then I dont mind swallowing the words I say about them, but that really remains to be seen. I'm really wanting to be wrong about them, but I dont think I will be in the end. Citadel has honestly came out of left field and has show alot more progress in terms of its goal of completion verse DnL, so that might be something to keep in mind as well.
    Truvidien88
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    By watching some of the streamers the game doesn't look that bad. I was wondering compared to the other games like Citadel & Ark how does this compare to it? I've been looking for a survival game where as a casual gamer I'm able to build stuff or farm without my stuff getting wrecked while I'm at work.

Thanks!
    Citadel to me was nice eye candy but very boring to play, As far as ARK goes personally i hated it but love D & L which is odd because everyone is screaming that this is a ARK clone.....

Iv been playing casually and have yet to unlock/lvl up all the building skills. Basically you level whatever skills you use the most, think skyrim. Iv found much less ganking and overall douchebaggery in this game then say rust or any of the other survival games. Id say give this game a shot, Just know what you are getting into its very buggy
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    D&L has a nice feel to it and interesting stuff happens sometimes which keeps me playing.  Citadel feels more solid but has less going on in the world, imo.
    JeffSpicoliTokken

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
     Just some casual playing until the game is patched up more but I like the game. I watched some youtube videos of Citadel and it just does not interest me. 

JeffSpicoli
  • MevraelMevrael Member UncommonPosts: 4
    edited August 2017
    DnL is very bad. I reached max 60 lvl on official pvp server. This is not even MMO or RPG and far away from early access, it is just a first alpha version with so many critical and unplayable issues, and definitely not for playing few hours every evening.

DnL fails at basics of any game.

Melee combat doesn't exists at all. You may hit a mob with a sword for ten minutes to get it killed, you are teleported back when you attack many mobs, melee attacks automatically focuses in specific direction and you can't attack where and how you want, it's not even a real action/non-target. Bows has no damage. Higher lvl staffs do not affect magic damage and so on.

All spells you need to craft and they broke after few cast, than you need to grind/craft/repair again, wtf.

No classes, no skills, no group/party, nothing.

When you are offline, everything you grinded and whatever big castles you've build, will be wiped with or without using any bugs. There is 0 protection, 0 official support. In any normal game you learn/grind for something one time and you have it in the future with you. It's fine to join some pvp event, sieges, go out of the peace zones or whatever and loose some stuff, however, here you have to start from total 0 again and again. Waste around an hour only to craft basic tools.

Most of official servers are now wiped by Chinese clans using bugs, online on servers decreased, not mentioning, that max online on official server is 70.

Balance design is bad as well, to be honest, there is no balance at all. 1 lvl player can kill 60 lvl player in top gear with a flying mount with 1 click and dropping you out from high height while you can't do anything. Big dragons should be epic bosses with great loot players might fight for, however, players can adapt/tame them and ride everyone with epic huge dragons. They should not be tamable and ridable. In last patch dragons got even buffed, lolwhut.

Still after 2 patches, they can't even fix NPC respawn and quests. After one patch they broken even more low lvl quests. It is all easy to test, Snail games just doesn't have any decent QA.

Snail Games still don't have official forum. It is very hard for players to find groups, trade in their servers. I wasted weeks to get 50 people into server's discord.

For bug report they ask you to press Delete so you could see coords, make a sscreenshot and send details to email. All that in 2017, wtf. No even basic bugtracking system or in-game report systems whcih would take my name, server, coordinates automatically.

Snail Games is a bad company providing no support and doing black marketing just to make fast easy money.

I am not going to mention many freezes and lags. Some of them are fine for such stage of the game, however freezes are because of bad development from the beginning.
    PhryHatefull
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Mevrael said:
    DnL is very bad. I reached max 60 lvl on official pvp server. This is not even MMO or RPG and far away from early access, it is just a first alpha version with so many critical and unplayable issues, and definitely not for playing few hours every evening.

stage of the game, however freezes are because of bad development from the beginning.
    Sounds to me like

A, you had no idea what you were getting into, and ...
    B, you recognizing that it is "just a first alpha version" should have informed your thinking but it didn't because "A".

PoppleKyleranMrMelGibsonEpicJohnsonHatefullJeffSpicoli
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
    Sovrath said:
    Mevrael said:

stage of the game, however freezes are because of bad development from the beginning.
    Sounds to me like

B, you recognizing that it is "just a first alpha version" should have informed your thinking but it didn't because "A".

I was getting into sandbox survival MMO, RPG.

Didn't understand B.
    EpicJohnson
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    I'm interested in both but I'd be leaning more to Citadel as it's more rpg sandbox than D & L which is a survival sandbox.

Having to "craft" spells to use them is fine, but they breaking after a couple times is a no no. I saw a video last couple days about the morphing into animal spell. It only has 3 charges before it's broken.... 

What I liked about citadel is it has loot variety in gear/weapons. This gives incentives to do dungeons, and/or explore. When I look at D & L it reminded me too much of ARK which imo is not that great unless you're into taming monsters which take hours. Obviously D & L is different than ARK and it's only been released in EA not very long, so I'd rather wait and see how it will develop before diving in. I prefer melee combat anyway, and currently its a mess.
    Tokken

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Sovrath said:
    Mevrael said:

Sounds to me like

I'm always astounded when people state they reached max level in a game or played for hundreds of hours only to list a huge list of reasons why the game sucks.

Couldn't they figure that out in the first 10 hours or so?
    TokkenMikehaSovrathHatefullAegirisExcessionGood_ApolloMorbeous

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Mevrael said:

Sounds to me like

I'm always astounded when people state they reached max level in a game or played for hundreds of hours only to list a huge list of reasons why the game sucks.

You can't judge anything so fast and no, you can't tell the whole OBJECTIVE experience about BOTH the game and service just in 10 hours.

Why you think people are idiots investing so much of their time as you say "ONLY" to write a huge list? I never said game totally sucks, otherwise I wouldn't be there at all. I still could build a beautiful castle with rounded towers. Anyway I bought a game and set a goal and I always reach my goals and do what I say. This game, as many others, has potential, but this team won't be able to realize it.

But I guess you enjoy "reviews" left by people playing only few hours and achieved totally nothing. This is not review at all, but just a "first personal impression".
    KyleranEpicJohnsonHatefullAegirisExcessionGood_Apollo
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    He is salty, first his base got wiped by RU and yesterday by Local Tourist? 

Its a fun game! With alot of bugs. Lagg free and some sort of protection I would say unofficials server with a "good" admin. 

Got the hours out of it for the price. But like every game, I cant stick for too long. Our base will prob get wiped anyway, saw we had a war dec from the alpha chinese :expressionless:

Next on my list: GW2,Overwacth, Destiny 2 Beta, WoW, BDO, ffxiv. And some singleplayer, I always hop from game to game
    Kyleran

• GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644

Can you still ride your shield down Mountain ranges ? as a form of transportation ??

Excession
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    edited August 2017
    Grimula said:

Can you still ride your shield down Mountain ranges ? as a form of transportation ??

Lol you played too much Zelda?:P

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Mevrael said:

Sounds to me like

Like when you listen to someone nagging about their job and how they hate it and when you ask why don't them quit, they say for financial reasons. 

Gaming isn't like that obviously. But maybe some people think since they have spent an amount on a game they have to play it otherwise it's just money wasted. Well, I tell to those people read a book in that amount of time instead of torturing yourself. Believe me, your time, no matter how young and jobless you are worth more than forcing yourself to sit through something you hate which would have no benefit or reward whatsoever. 

Also a lot of people feel there is no better option so they just keep gaming. That has never happened to me, ever. I have so many games to play that I have to skip many of the good ones. I think if people want to get entertained from video games they have to broaden their choices as well. Tired of MMORPGs? Give survivals a chance. Don't like them too? Get some small indie games. Hate those? Enjoy a semi-decent story from an AAA title. Hate them as well? Get into some retro or oldschool platformers. I can go on and list tens of other types of games to enjoy. Hate all of them? Find a new hobby then. Again, don't torture yourself. 

Some people like to nag whatsoever. Don't mistake this for criticism. You talk about pros and cons, you review and digest, you say why you like something and in your opinion how can it get better. That's fine, that's good. I'm not talking about those kinda players. I am talking them going for phrases "it sucks ass!".
    MrMelGibsonKyleran
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644
    edited August 2017

Dragnelus.i guess you never played the Original dark and light, this has Nothing to do with zelda, and No i never played the New zelda game yet

one of the big features was huge mountain ranges you could explore and 1 form of transportation was Sliding on your Equiped shield down mountains

it was a crazy feature back then, as no other game had features like that

DragnelusMevraelPhryExcession
    Grimula said:

Dragnelus.i guess you never played the Original dark and light, this has Nothing to do with zelda, and No i never played the New zelda game yet

one of the big features was huge mountain ranges you could explore and 1 form of transportation was Sliding on your Equiped shield down mountains

it was a crazy feature back then, as no other game had features like that

Apart from the same title those 2 games don't have much in common.

There is dragon transport, which doesn't work either.

However, you may craft hang glider lategame after grinding and jump from the cliff, but it is one-time only, e.g. is destroyed when you use it, lol.
    Mevrael said:
    Kyleran said:
    Sovrath said:
    Mevrael said:

Sounds to me like

You can't judge anything so fast and no, you can't tell the whole OBJECTIVE experience about BOTH the game and service just in 10 hours.

Why you think people are idiots investing so much of their time as you say "ONLY" to write a huge list? I never said game totally sucks, otherwise I wouldn't be there at all. I still could build a beautiful castle with rounded towers. Anyway I bought a game and set a goal and I always reach my goals and do what I say. This game, as many others, has potential, but this team won't be able to realize it.

But I guess you enjoy "reviews" left by people playing only few hours and achieved totally nothing. This is not review at all, but just a "first personal impression".
    LOL, go back and read your post, you easily listed 20 negative points and not a single positive one.

You also had at least 4 or 5 statements of fact which if not obvious before even buying the game (research is your friend) would have been completely clear within the 1st two hours of playing, coincidently the amount of time Steam gives people to decide whether to refund or not.
    Hatefull

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited August 2017
    Mevrael said:
    Sovrath said:
    Mevrael said:

Sounds to me like

Didn't understand B.
    Sorry, I'll be more specific.

These Early Access games are touted as "unfinished, buggy, likely to change but get in on the ground floor to help development" experiences.

Whether or not anyone believes this should be a practice, it is. They even have a disclaimer.

So some of your complaints are as if you are complaining that water is wet. I've read some people say "early access games should be farther along". Except there is no chart or way to measure how "far along" an early access game should be. There is no quantifiable measurement for "well, it can be buggy but not THAT buggy", it can have missing features but only "so many missing features".

Of course there are whole features that aren't in the game and animations are probably going to change significantly as well as skills.

Yet you pretty much assess the game as if it was in beta. Of course there are going to be issues and missing features, that's what you signed up for.

As far as my statement above, you did recognize that the game was in Alpha state but you don't know what that entails so therefore you didn't know what you were getting into.
    MikehaHatefullExcessionQuarterStack

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Sovrath said:
    Mevrael said:
    Sovrath said:
    Mevrael said:

Sounds to me like

Didn't understand B.

These Early Access games are touted as "unfinished, buggy, likely to change but get in on the ground floor to help development" experiences.

Whether or not anyone believes this should be a practice, it is. They even have a disclaimer.

So some of your complaints are as if you are complaining that water is wet. I've read some people say "early access games should be farther along". Except there is no chart or way to measure how "far along" an early access game should be. There is no quantifiable measurement for "well, it can be buggy but not THAT buggy", it can have missing features but only "so many missing features".

Of course there are whole features that aren't in the game and animations are probably going to change significantly as well as skills.

Yet you pretty much assess the game as if it was in beta. Of course there are going to be issues and missing features, that's what you signed up for.

As far as my statement above, you did recognize that the game was in Alpha state but you don't know what that entails so therefore you didn't know what you were getting into.
    “Dark and Light has been in development for a few years"
    “We expect Early Access to last approximately one year.”

If you expect early access to only last a year it can't be THAT buggy.

Mikeha
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited August 2017
    Eh I watched MrMoon (rp twitch streamer) playing yesterday and he literally gave all his armor away and ragequit because of server issues.  It pissed him off especially because they were the exact same issues Ark had at release but weren't fixed for years.

Granted it's early access but it appears to be basically unplayable currently.  He did however seem to have some fun with the game itself... when he could play it.
    KyleranShaigh
    edited August 2017
    Shaigh said:
    Sovrath said:
    Mevrael said:
    Sovrath said:
    Mevrael said:

Sounds to me like

Didn't understand B.

“Dark and Light has been in development for a few years"
    “We expect Early Access to last approximately one year.”

If you expect early access to only last a year it can't be THAT buggy.

Based on what?

This is what I'm saying, people are subjectively making stuff up.

considering that it takes 3+ years to fully develop a game I can imagine (which of course is subjective) that they are easily more than 2/3rd there.

One year to fix what is needed? Yeah why not? Who knows? That's just a guess based on seeing games developed for 3+ years until launch.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    I like it. It has bugs and other issues, but for whatever reason (I can not put a finger on it) I really enjoy the game.
    SovrathExcession

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

DMKano said:
    Was watching a few streams tonight and the hacking is really bad - as far as people going through walls and just leveling bases, was pretty sad to watch.
    Seems pretty prevalent in these EA survival titles, even on official servers, one of the main reasons I've yet to try one.
    Max_Striker

• ScoliozScolioz Member UncommonPosts: 110
    they should have left it dead and cancelled
    DMKano said:
    Was watching a few streams tonight and the hacking is really bad - as far as people going through walls and just leveling bases, was pretty sad to watch.
    yeah, that's why I think with these games it's just better to have a server with friends.
    laseritEpicJohnsonKyleranOctagon7711