Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those thinking of buying Albion Online, don't at least not now - Review

rlsmithrlsmith Member UncommonPosts: 12
Pros
So, the game is very good. Play is fun, lot's to do, from crafting to PvP. Interesting economic setup, with players creating everything in the game. 
Graphics style is a bit of a throwback, but it works here.
Own an island, build it up, farm, raise livestock.

Cons
The devs seem to have a strategy for making the game more stable of just waiting for enough people to quit so the game will work properly. The CEO of the company posted on the forums that the problems were caused by too many players trying to play. His comments were that their infrastructure was all it could be, nothing could be done. 

Queues, okay they happen, but 9am on a Monday, come on. And even if you make it through the queue, if you are entering an overcrowded zone expect to be put back at the end of the queue.

Server restarts are happening right now about every 2 hours or so usually with a 2 minute warning.

Comments

I really hope this developer gets it together, this is a great game, but continued missteps like are happening now with little or no feedback to the community could get them their wish that all these extra players will just leave.

GdemamiRenoaku

Comments

• boris20boris20 Member RarePosts: 404
    rlsmith said:
    Pros
    So, the game is very good. Play is fun, lot's to do, from crafting to PvP. Interesting economic setup, with players creating everything in the game. 

Cons
    The devs seem to have a strategy for making the game more stable of just waiting for enough people to quit so the game will work properly. The CEO of the company posted on the forums that the problems were caused by too many players trying to play. His comments were that their infrastructure was all it could be, nothing could be done. 

Queues, okay they happen, but 9am on a Monday, come on. And even if you make it through the queue, if you are entering an overcrowded zone expect to be put back at the end of the queue.

Server restarts are happening right now about every 2 hours or so usually with a 2 minute warning.

Comments

I really hope this developer gets it together, this is a great game, but continued missteps like are happening now with little or no feedback to the community could get them their wish that all these extra players will just leave.

Even with a 4k long que, it has yet to take me over 20 mins to get logged in. Most days its 5 mins max. I had originally dismissed this game but decided to give it a shot after launch and can say I am rather enjoying myself playing casually in the evenings. Server lag has not been bad enough to bother me. I notice it here and there but nothing like some other games I have played. Overall I am pleased with things and have a feeling all this will get worked out over the next few weeks. I have zero complaints so far. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

I don't think that's quite accurate
    Well if that is the post he is referring to, he has made a glaring mistake. I'd be curious to see what he is referring to when he says that the strategy the devs are using is to wait for players to quit.

Beezerbeez
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    totaly dont agree with the op and realy dont find this accurate

the queue take around 1 hour or in most case 30 min ( it happen only some time, not all the time)

when you enter the game mostly town zone are overcrownded ( it mean you just dont see others players, in town only, all others zone are fine )

i never got kicked out or go back in queue even one time, same for all my guild of over 30++ peoples, it just dont happen.

they do server reset each day at 5am morning ( est time ) for 1 hour, and they tell it 1 hour in advance ingame, then 30 min, then 20, then 15 , then 10 then each time 1 min....

yes they have done a couple server reset, like 4-5 times, i played the whole time and got a blast, it the right time to join in if you are interested in this game... it fresh and just starting out for most peoples.

for peoples who fear pvp, you can almost play and craft the whole game in blue zone /yellow ect, it mean you dont loss your item if you get killed, and in blue they cant even attack you, the game also got rift boss system, and gvg you dont loss item either...

also gear are mostly crafted, you dont loss big value if you get killed if you decide go red zone, my t5 set cost me about 20k to remake... and curently got over 1millions gold...

it a fun game, money are easy earned for the subs too, you kill someone and get his gears, there you et 1 month subs lol
    boris20Kyleran
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Well pvp does not do a single thing for me.Crafting?yes i love crafting but it needs to be creative and very deep with discovery and not hand holding type crafting.

I disagree on the graphics because they don't work for me and neither does the camera.

Gameplay overall?Well i watched a Twitch friend play for a few months,never did it excite me enough to want to join in.That friend was a huge fan of the game and even he quit a few months ago.
    Needs way too much work,to me it looks like 1995-1999 gaming,just not nearly good enough.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• rlsmithrlsmith Member UncommonPosts: 12
    rlsmith said:
    Pros

Cons

Comments

I don't think that's quite accurate, but I do agree with your recommendation.  Anyone thinking of joining the game should probably hold off until the worst of the current problems have been properly addressed.  Here's the latest from the guy running the show:

https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/64663-Update-on-Server-Issues-and-Compensation
    The post that I referred to is https://forum.albiononline.com/index.php/Thread/60885-Server-Performance-Background-Information/?pageNo=1

And the strategy I mentioned is my opinion.

As I said at the end of my post I want this game to work, but until I see a strategy for improvements. The post you listed, which I hadn't seen when I posted does begin to address some of the issues. I appreciate you pointing it out to me.

The purpose of my original post was to give potential buyers at least a heads-up of what they might expect.
    Gdemami
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    MMORPG retention is pretty notorious for plummetting shortly after the game becomes available, so I'd honestly be kinda surprised if "Wait until enough players quit for the servers to stabilize" wasn't on most MMO developers' minds when considering whether or not to buy more infrastructure.

Not that that's a good thing though, of course.
  • brickleulbrickleul Member UncommonPosts: 28
    I have to agree with op, this game it's a waste of money. Just look at their general forums, in prime time you will see a page full of topics related to server issues. Just took a screenshot 2 min ago  http://i.imgur.com/pSk3reQ.jpg it's not bs . This game is one of the biggest scams. 
    Someone said the queue is not that longer as advertised, this is bad because I'm getting usually in prime time queue for 40-60 minutes, but most of the time I'm logged in hostile zones (mostly due to previous server reboots) and you have to stay near PC to see when you log back in so you won't get killed because a retard dev instead of placing the account in queue it places your character before entering the world, so no fast char switching either :( . Not to mention for EU players PvP sucks due to lag. 
    KyleranGdemami