Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Sims 4 for a manly man?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
I have never played a Sims game before.  I find myself drawn to The Sims 4.  If I get it, do I have to turn in my man card?  What, exactly, do you do in-game? 
EothasConstantineMerus

Comments

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    I found The Sims 4 to be a big improvement over The Sims 3. There was something wrong with the engine of the previous one (I think it was trying to render too much of the town), making it impossible to play once you progressed further.

It's a bitter sweet relationship for me. The game itself lets you create a family of one or multiple individuals, who you then look after. They live their lives autonomously, but you can queue tasks for them - pretty much controlling everything they do. There is a good selection of interactions possible with the environment, which is also the main draw of the game.

The Sims 4 also overhauled the conversation aspects. Sims now have emotions, which makes them respond to one another in different ways, based on how they feel. This made talking to others a lot more interesting.

In terms of gameplay, I think the main appeal is having your Sim interact with its environment - either the objects or the people. You can have them make friends, enemies, get married, make babies. Or you can have them explore the town, pursue one of many professions, dance to a stereo you buy for them, etc. The interactions themselves are really well done. I think the core gameplay is a lot of fun. As long as you pay attention to the little things and try live a balanced life, it offers a great bit of gameplay.

Here is the bitter part for me. Being the MMO min-maxer I am, I love to figure out optimal strategies in games and "get better" at them. This means I always end up having my Sim draw artistic masterpieces one after another, while their spouse is supplying them with constant stream of food keep them alive. Trying to "figure the game out" always ends up being very boring, as the game isn't really about that - it's about the small things instead. Now that I'm writing this, it's a chilling analogy to life actually. :grin:
    [Deleted User]
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    I have never played a Sims game before.  I find myself drawn to The Sims 4.  If I get it, do I have to turn in my man card?  What, exactly, do you do in-game? 
    nahh , thats silly ,  great game go have fun ..
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    What, exactly, do you do in-game? 
    You play with a virtual dollhouse and a lot of virtual dolls.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    The Sims 3 is the more complete package but has loading issues especially later on in the game. I guess The Sims 4 would be a good first sims game to play but alot of stuff has been deliberately left out to be added in further expansions. I'd personally play The Sims 3 myself if given the choice between the 2.
    wingood

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    I've not played any of the Sims.  My sister did.  She said she'd start up a family then place them in situations with no win.  She won't play shooters but she'll happily torture her Sims.
    ManWithNoTan
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited July 2017
    Grown ups play Second Life now I think. xD

That wasn't a personal jab, just mostly a lot of folks from the now defunct Sims Online and sim 2-3 seem to love it.
    Post edited by Tiller on
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• frostymugfrostymug Member RarePosts: 645
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Depends on how much of a man are you at this moment. I had a friend who was borderline Nancy and after playing Sims he turned into a she. 
    Horusralaxie
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • MikaelJordanMikaelJordan Member CommonPosts: 20
    I do believe we can play whatever type of game we want, no matter who you are.

Since the purpose of gaming is entertainment - Not to improve, show your masculinity.

However, as someone who did play the Sims (2,3,4) I pretty like this game. Besides the gameplay which is pretty much accurate when you can experience a "human life" - you might find a strong interest in building your house in the Sims.  

Just play it man, if you are manly, no matter what you do, you are still manly :D
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    I think a "real man" wouldn't have to ask such a thing, he'd just do it.

So your choice. Do it or don't.
    Kaisen_DexxDistopia
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Like people are saying the Sims games tend to be very expensive when they come out and it's best to buy an older series to get the best value for your money.  I have Sims 3 and bought the expansions I liked.  Once you get into it, the game can eat up a lot of your time.  

It's a life simulation game.  It's like Second Life as an RPG. Meet the neighbors, drink their blood if you bought the vampire DLC, or play a muggle and live a normal life with parties, a job, a nice house, etc.  Sounds boring but some of the DLC is pretty good, I've seen a lot about player created mods but haven't gotten into those yet.  

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    If you assume playing a Sim game makes you less of a man why even bother playing video games.
    Sovrath
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I bought the Sims 4 base game, and I'll be honest, it's kinda fun.  I bought a cheap ass house and some cheap ass home furnishings and it's pretty neat.  Some people came to my door to chat, I guess, but of course, I was in the shower.  Just like real life, people knock at the most inopportune times I guess.
    StoneRoseslaxieSovrathScorchienAzaron_Nightblade
  • ManWithNoTanManWithNoTan Member UncommonPosts: 96
    I you give your Sim an evil personality and make them crazy - they will start fights with themselves in the mirror. I don't know, that was fun for me. 
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited July 2017
    Robokapp said:
    disgusting. now chug a beer!!
    Is that a BDO reference if so  :D

Not sure if you were referring to the green goblin or the OP.
    Only buy Sims 4 during a sale or the price of the game is ridiculous and it goes on sale may be a couple of times a year. 
    laxieAzaron_Nightblade

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Sims 4 is the manliest manly game you could ever play!

What is manlier than raising a family, having a job and taking care of the family? Not much, because that is the true evolution of going from boy, to immature adult to full man.

StoneRoseslaxie

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856
    edited July 2017
    I too didn't play The Sims for probably 10 years, thinking this was just not the game for me. But after reading that you could, err, "unlock" the game I decided to give it a try (I played the Sims 3). And it was actually a lot of fun. I especially enjoyed designing houses, landscaping properties, and creating my own particular version of attractive women. Then watching as I encouraged their "gorgeous" genes to spread across the population (literally seeding the next generation).

If you want to play an adult version of the Sims, I'd guess that Sims 3 or maybe even 2 is still the way to go. Although I'm not sure about that (maybe the mods available for 4 have progressed by now?). Anyway, if you do go this route be ready to tackle a big learning curve to get the game set up properly. And tracking down all the mods you need to use. But just to get you started, if you decide on The Sims 3 I'll give you two links.

http://nraas.wikispaces.com/ (Nraas are like "the" core mod(s) used. Not just for adult content, but for many other advanced game functions as well.)
    http://www.loverslab.com  (There are actually other more dedicated sites out there, but the forums here wouldn't be a bad place to start looking for guidance on mods beyond Nraas if you are interested. Especially on some of the new animation packages that are available).

Post edited by Pynda on
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

What is manlier than raising a family, having a job and taking care of the family? Not much, because that is the true evolution of going from boy, to immature adult to full man.

Plus you can fish.....

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Distopia said:

Plus you can fish.....
    I like the fish part better then all that other stuff

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• HeyYouVideoGameHeyYouVideoGame Member UncommonPosts: 22
    even the manliest of men can play & enjoy the sim video games.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    edited August 2017
    Yes, I'm gay and I play Sims4 so obviously you will suddenly turn gay to if you play this game.  If you accidentally bump me while passing on a crowded street it will also turn you gay.  You can't escape.  It's like vampirism.  We spread our disease and there is no cure...

Actually you'll probably never make it past the boobie slider.  You're safe.  GL

*Disclaimer:  No asexuals were harmed in the making of this post.