Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EA Says 'Year-on Year Growth was Driven by MEA' - Mass Effect: Andromeda - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageEA Says 'Year-on Year Growth was Driven by MEA' - Mass Effect: Andromeda - MMORPG.com

Mass Effect: Andromeda News - In today's EA investor's call, CFO Blake Jorgensen mentioned Mass Effect: Andromeda as a driving force in the company's year-on-year growth. EA generated $113M more than the same time period last year. Net sales rose 32% over last year as well.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    They capitalized on their fans this time. I doubt that they'll get away with it again IF there's another game in the series. It just hurts to say that, however. :(
    Octagon7711bartoni33MrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• EothasEothas Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Where is DA 4 though? I'm not hyped for Anthem :\ Now that Anthem is the focus it will take at least a year for DA news.
    Oy-jord
  • kinidokinido Member UncommonPosts: 429
    Imagine if they'd have released this on Steam .. with the refund policy in place. These numbers would be very very very different. Every time I hear this games name I cringe. Time to let the series die.
    MrMelGibson

PS - All mammals have nipples.

Get over it already.

• EothasEothas Member UncommonPosts: 84
    kinido said:
    Imagine if they'd have released this on Steam .. with the refund policy in place. These numbers would be very very very different. Every time I hear this games name I cringe. Time to let the series die.
    Pretty sure Origin also has a refund policy though. Time limit is 24h after you launch the game, I think.
    MrMelGibson
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    Remember when you used to buy a game and you got the entire game?
    bartoni33Oy-jord
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077
    There better be another game, it would be stupid for them to stop the franchise altogether. People love the franchise, I think it's dramatic to say MEA should be the death knell in the series, it isn't even close to being a bad game, and I'm so bored of people jumping on the hate-wagon because it's the trendy thing to do at the time. It was the first game post-trilogy, and was always going to be very heavily scrutinized for that reason. Of course the game had it's issues and could have used more polish, but they fundamentally improved many aspects of the series with MEA, and they have been updating and fixing the things people were complaining about. I would bet that another game would still sell extremely well.
    SBFordLyuke13MrMelGibson
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited July 2017
    kinido said:
    Origin actually has a better return policy than steam IMO. With their no questions asked "Great Game Guarantee"
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

SBFord said:

They capitalized on their fans this time. I doubt that they'll get away with it again IF there's another game in the series. It just hurts to say that, however. :(

That was may first thought as well. All the fans who played ME:1,2,3 and bought all the DLC over the years and ended up being thrown under the bus to make way for a new game. Hopefully they looked at those numbers and realized they should start putting more energy into a series that developed years of fan royalty, rather than expecting them to go play Anthem.
    SBFordbartoni33MrMelGibson

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited July 2017

Distopia said:

kinido said:

Origin actually has a better return policy than steam IMO. With their no questions asked "Great Game Guarantee"

I also like their free timed full access trials. Allows me to play demos again before deciding to buy.
    MrMelGibsonDistopiabartoni33[Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• joewolf79joewolf79 Member UncommonPosts: 31
    I'm surprised to see they did that well with it, and am now even more surprised at the recent concerns that they might be mothballing Mass Effect. I've always been a big fan of the series, but I let the backlash keep me from this one until the recent 10 hour trial and half off sale. After 2 hours I was sold on it and been having a great time. Sure there have been some less than stellar moments in the 70 hours I've now put into it, but I'm still glad I finally gave it a chance. Hopefully this financial info will convince them to move forward with the series.
    Octagon7711
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited July 2017

SBFord said:

That was may first thought as well. All the fans who played ME:1,2,3 and bought all the DLC over the years and ended up being thrown under the bus to make way for a new game. Hopefully they looked at those numbers and realized they should start putting more energy into a series that developed years of fan royalty, rather than expecting them to go play Anthem.
    I have to admit that my "enthusiasm" for Anthem is pretty much non-existent. I look at it and all I see is what MEA could have been. I'll wait to see reviews AND find out that there will be more Mass Effect games before I play Anthem. I guess that's cutting my nose off to spite my face but it's the only way I can see to make my feelings understood. While in the end my $100 or so won't matter much to EA, it will mean something to me.

For the record, I liked MEA quite a bit. Sure, it had its issues, but it was a decent game altogether. But knowing there may not be any DLC or the possibility that the series is on hold for several years is sobering and sad.
    Octagon7711bartoni33BakgrindMrMelGibson

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

Nanfoodle said:

And maybe one patch for it.
    Octagon7711Agent_Joseph
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

Nanfoodle said:

I think the top bun should be the Deluxe edition lol.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Am I the only one who liked MEA?
    BakgrindLyuke13MrMelGibson

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

edited July 2017
    It's not a bad game it just doesn't live up to the level of the rest of the series, imo.  They did a new start but I could tell they cut corners.  I realize the industry is always looking for ways to cut costs and increase profits.

One thing is that they have always listened to fans.  When mining was a pain in ME:1 they cut way back on it.  When people didn't like the ending of ME:3. they re-did it and provided a great DLC, final mission, and party.  It's a good thing about the company.
    SBFordbartoni33

• Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243
    SBFord said:

SBFord said:

I have to admit that my "enthusiasm" for Anthem is pretty much non-existent. I look at it and all I see is what MEA could have been. I'll wait to see reviews AND find out that there will be more Mass Effect games before I play Anthem. I guess that's cutting my nose off to spite my face but it's the only way I can see to make my feelings understood. While in the end my $100 or so won't matter much to EA, it will mean something to me.

For the record, I liked MEA quite a bit. Sure, it had its issues, but it was a decent game altogether. But knowing there may not be any DLC or the possibility that the series is on hold for several years is sobering and sad.
    I just fail to see the logic in not creating at least some story dlc.  As all the infrastructure is already in place, it would be a relatively small investment at this point.  It seems incredibly dumb to anger fans of the series over something which Bioware is likely to turn a profit with regardless.  

bartoni33
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    SBFord said:
    I dunno, they have gotten away with it before. It certainly ain't good for the IP but it isn't like DA 2 killed that IP.

Clearly if next game is in the same quality it will hurt a lot but most game series survives a dud even if it sells good because of the fans. With the right publicity a game "going back to the roots after the last not so great game" can actually sell better then one following a good game, bringing back old players from the first games.

Now, if it would have been terrible things could be different but to me it is more so-so like DA2 then a disaster. Something you play when you bought it but nothing really to remember much about later, neither good or bad things.
    Octagon7711
  • mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283

MEA is not a bad game it just feels like a straight to DVD story like the James Vega anime
    SBFordMrMelGibson

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003

Nanfoodle said:

Vaguely

• BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    SBFord said:

SBFord said:

I too  enjoyed my time in Mass Effect Andromeda and really hope there is dlc coming for it. And I find myself less enthusiastic about Anthem as well. I hope it does well for the brand,but  its really  not my type of game and I don't see myself playing it. It's game style is not what attracts me to Bioware as a developer  since I am more of a RPG fan. When EA purchased Bioware they bought the fan base as much as the product and were hoping that they could convince the fans to purchase EA's other titles as well as Biowares.

But in my case the only games beside the free On the House games that I have on my Origins account are Bioware games. Although I have to admit that I am interested in Viscerals Games Star Wars title that should be releasing around the same time as Anthem  so at least I will be occupying my time with that game instead. And hoping that DA 4 hurries up and gets here

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937

Nyctelios said:

Eothas said:

Where is DA 4 though? I'm not hyped for Anthem :\ Now that Anthem is the focus it will take at least a year for DA news.

Agreed about DA. DA2 is complete garbage but Inquisition took a "turn for the right direction", at least for me. 

I would like to see what they can do with the series after DA:I. Even if I like Origins better.

Dragonage 2 wasn't complete garbage at all. Its story and use of characters was just different than the simplistic way most video games deal with story/characters.

Not to say that there weren't horrible mistakes, too much usage of the same areas for example.

It was a somewhat tragic story with a reluctant hero and video game audiences aren't there yet for that type of thing.
    SBFordbartoni33
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • 03cobradude03cobradude Member UncommonPosts: 47
    The problem for DA2 was reusing the same assets over and over again, and no big variations in level designs. The first Dragon Age had you going to so many different places and by far was the best story. The third one was better than the Second, yet still felt lacking. They could have done more with the armies and castle system.

MEA, needed more funding and time to be what it should have been. It could have been great, with outpost that mean something, raids, and more aliens. Instead it was a really lack luster open world game, that got very repetitive. The story wasn't bad in the end but was definitely not up to par with the last games, minus the terrible endings for ME3. They should have just made it a non open world game and stuck with the ME formula, since they half-assed it.
    SBFordOctagon7711
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Nope. There's two of us.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• RyphtRypht Member UncommonPosts: 39

Iselin said:

Nope. There's two of us.

Three!