Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Citadel: Forged With Fire Open Beta Preview - General Previews

2»

Comments

• cylon8cylon8 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    :open beta" has a serious issue with server network disconnects....if this was a stress test they need to fix this before the 26ht. The game itslef has potential, but it's very bare bones, and the world itsle fis kinda bland from a visual standpoint.

so say we all

• SignexSignex Member UncommonPosts: 318
    I don't think DnL looks like ARK, not at all. The gameplay feels the same yea but it doesn't look like an ARK copy to me. Citadel does look very different, but i enjoyed DnL a little more. When i went third person in Citadel, i noticed how awful the animations are, that really needs to get changed.
    I sometimes like to play in 3rd person, just to see my character.
    AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - Gigabyte Aorus RTX 3080 10G Master - 16GB RAM
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Yet another "survival" game... Why do so many people insist on making these gank fests? Don't we have enough eating and drinking simulators to completely saturate the market yet? The graphics look good, but the net code needs work.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Wraithone said:
    Yet another "survival" game... Why do so many people insist on making these gank fests? Don't we have enough eating and drinking simulators to completely saturate the market yet? The graphics look good, but the net code needs work.
    It doesn't have to be a gankfest. I know that Conan Exiles allows for pve servers as does Dark and Light.

As far as 'eating/drinking" simulators, I think (again this is my opinion) that all mmo's that aspire to be worlds should have these features.

It's what I actually thought they were about "being worlds". Well, imagine my surprise ...
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • simsalabim77simsalabim77 Member RarePosts: 1,607
    Sovrath said:
    Wraithone said:
    It doesn't have to be a gankfest. I know that Conan Exiles allows for pve servers as does Dark and Light.

As far as 'eating/drinking" simulators, I think (again this is my opinion) that all mmo's that aspire to be worlds should have these features.

It's what I actually thought they were about "being worlds". Well, imagine my surprise ...

People pine for living worlds, but don't want the inconvenience that comes along with them. 
    Octagon7711
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Towards the end the game was a lot more stable. I easily got into a PvE server and didn't get dropped the whole time I played which was about two or three hours. Some people were already complaining about the content being to easy and a few people managed to build housing with crafting stations in them. Not a bad game. I liked DnL a little bit better but they are close.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000

Galadourn said:

Is it true that you only get to play a mage in Citadel?

You could forge weapons and different types of armor so it looked like you could just do melee if you wanted. One guy was running with just a dagger.

I think I would like if you take out some NPCs you should be able to use their weapons and armor. Even if they had faster decay rates. Love games like that. You see a guy with a shield and spear, you take him out and get the shield and spear.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited July 2017
    One important question,one that this site seemingly TRIES to ignore all the time.

Is there any CASH SHOP?

Is it just taming and pvp?I see mention of crafting but if it is just pvp i see no reason for crafting at all.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    I decided to give this a try - well, for EUR18.93 not much to risk really - and I have to say that the game is pretty decent in its current state. The animations need a bit of love, and there are some desync issues in the private server i play on, but generally speaking it's been fun so far and haven't really come across any major bug.

Oh, and performance is very acceptable, even on my old rig; I get 20-30 fps everywhere (intel QuadCore Q9650/8GB RAM/1050Ti).

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Great game so far !

• SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    like I mentioned earlier. I am well beyond burned out on High Fantasy genre myself

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    edited July 2017
    I bought it, and was pretty unimpressed. There is far too much clutter. You are forced to run around mashing the grab button, because you can't see the ground due to all the scenery. Add in the invisible mob that was pelting me with magic missiles, and I was even less impressed.

I will give it another go. But there are much better ways to waste my time.
  • RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136
    Wizardry said:
    One important question,one that this site seemingly TRIES to ignore all the time.

Is there any CASH SHOP?

Is it just taming and pvp?I see mention of crafting but if it is just pvp i see no reason for crafting at all.
    Didn't see a cash shop, not going to go out on a limb and assume they won't add one but i've heard no mention of one.

Crafting is pretty important, typical for a survival game, everything seems to force you to craft -  heck just regening mana requires potions or pools. I don't think the crafting system is fleshed out or nuanced at this point though. Certainly not akin to games like Darkfall for example.
    [Deleted User]
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813
    broken beyond repair with the latest patches... uninstalled
  • vanderghastvanderghast Member UncommonPosts: 309
    Yet another content devoid 'survival' game with absolutely zero point in investing any time in. Played for probably an hour and refunded.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    Ir1shguy said:
    The devs behind Citadel have put a lot of effort into customizing the game and not using the same bundled assets that Ark and DnL have used. So while there are some similar mechanics Citadel is ahead due to the effort the devs have put into it including a customized UI instead of the bundled one with UE4. DnL is ark with a bigger world and magic, it still uses all the same assets as Ark.

Citadel had to add almost 100 overflow servers for the open access period. Both Citadle and DnL suffered from pretty bad lag which is always expected of any game on release. DnL takes 5 to 10 minutes to get in game just from loading, similar to Ark, citadel gets you into game faster, a lot faster. I am a casual player and hardly do any pvp at all but here is what I streamed of Citadel on saturday (please be kind)
    Just finished watching all of your Citadel videos.  I found them informative, encouraging and helpful.  I enjoy survival, in game and IRL.  I also enjoy the fantasy genre.  I think the weapon and class mix is interesting.  As a Healer I look forward to giving my preferred play style a try in Citadel.  I hope your group does buy the game and give it a try during EA.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

Redemp said:
    Wizardry said:

Is there any CASH SHOP?

Didn't see a cash shop, not going to go out on a limb and assume they won't add one but i've heard no mention of one.

Crafting is pretty important, typical for a survival game, everything seems to force you to craft -  heck just regening mana requires potions or pools. I don't think the crafting system is fleshed out or nuanced at this point though. Certainly not akin to games like Darkfall for example.
    It's an MMO so I expect there will be some form of monetization eventually, probably when the game is finally released.  I just spent two weeks playing and have made it to level 30.  I don't play ever day, and I don't play very long.

When I started, I watched others' play through videos.  In one, a player said not to bother with gear crafting, because you can loot all the gear you will ever need.   I say, yes and no.  I have the cloth line of armour, it is good for level 5, 25, and 45.  I looted some gear for the whole in the 10-20 levels.  But you have to live with what you can find.  I constantly craft gear looking for better stats.  Hats tend to have +mana.  Chest has +health.  Feet has +movement speed.  Cloth doesn't have leg items so I have to loot something.  Looting is problematic, chest seem to be loot able only once every 24 hour IRL time. 

Common gear has no +stat buffs, uncommon (Blue name) has a single buff, like I mentioned before.  Epic (Green name) has two buffs.  All crafted gear has a chance of up to four buff.  But the best gear I have seen so far is Epic, and buff are random, there is no control in game at the moment.

Because C:FWF is a survival game it does rely on crafting.  Mana and Health potions have replaced food and water (though food, water and cooking may be added later in development).  Crafting is very important.  And a solo player will find it near impossible.  I'm on my forth tier weapon, only my third tier was I unable to to get the mats I needed,  I had to ask another player to provide me with one.  I have yet to find the material in game yet.

There are PvE servers, but I am playing on a PvP server.  I died four time this week.  Twice was during PvE.  Once was a server crash.  The forth was ganking.  Pet taming is a spell you buy with knowledge points.  You can have 4 pets.  The first pets you can find are Wolves, Boars, and Bears.  Wolves are light Defense and heavy DPS, they draw the agro and usually die first.  Bears are heavy Defense and light DPS, if I'm not careful I can draw the Mob agro that the bear can't hold.  Boars are middle of the road not tanks and not dps.  I used to kill off my four pets before head back to base after grinding.  This only made me less safe.  I was ganked on my way back to base when I was low on potions.  Never have less than 20 potions, I had 9 mana and 6 health.

@Wizardry, there is no reason for crafting.  I have watched streamers get pretty high with out crafting by just looting.  But crafting is also a source of XP.  I try to get Half of my XP from crafting and Half from PvE mob grinding.  I don't think there is PvP XP in game just yet.

edited August 2017
    Hi, @SBFord.  Any idea if this game will be added to the game list here?

Here is my input for leveling in C:FWF.  Join a guild / group in C:FWF this is called a house.  Why?  So you can split the cost of knowledge over several people.  There are three tiers of base building: wood (8 points @ level 5), stone (18 points @ level 20), and ornate stone (24 pints @ level 40).  The point is if you are a member of a house, then each person can specialize in a crating tree. and each person is not hurting for knowledge points like a solo player would.

Your group power is cumulative, so a group of four level 5's would be the same power as a level  20 and they grind on it.  I saw always grind on mobs close to your level at most 8 levels greater.  Why?  Because of time to kill.  The longer it takes you to kill a mob, the more mana and health potions you will consume.  A lot of guides say that once you hit level 30 your should grind level 50+ mobs.  This was from the beginning of Early Access when the game had some bugs in it.  Now those bugs have been patched and fixed.

There are three types of mobs: free roaming, enemy camp, and cave.  Free Roaming are usually one on one fights and easy kills.  Mobs only have crafting items and pots on them, that I have seen.  Enemy Camps and Caves have Treasure Chests that have Armour, Weapon, Trinkets (Jewelry), pots and some crafting materials.  Enemy Camps have groups mobs, anywhere from 2 to 6 mobs.  So 2 level 10 mobs will have the power of a solo level 20.  It will be do able by a solo level 10 if you have four pets to tank for you.  Else you may burn though your pots if you are not in a group.  Enemy Camps will have one ore more chests.  These chests will have a single non-crafting material item.  Because they are easy to get to, they will often be looted when you get there.  the re-spawn on chests is VERY LONG.

Caves are open world dungeons, but pets can't enter.  Don't try and tame any mobs or creatures in caves, because the servers treat them as named location pets, they will not re-spawn so long as they are pets.  You will find 2 or more types of mobs in a Cave.  The Base mob that I think of as the cave level, this mob will fight in groups of two or more (most like groups of 4).  The next tier of mobs is the Special, it is the base mobs level +5 (example 20 + 5 = 25).  I find one or two special mobs in a cave.  If they are together, they will fight together.  I prefer this mob be solo fight so each mob is in a separate area.  The last mob type doesn't show up in every cave, it is the Elite: Base level + 10 (example 20 + 10 = 30).  There can be two or more elites in a cave.  if they are together, then you should be in a group, unless you are close to their level.  Caves can have two or more chests (typically I find 4 scattered about the cave in different areas).  These are hard to get to so they have the most and best loot.  This is where you will loot gear that you can't craft.  You will find Armour, Weapons, and Trinkets, plus pots and crafting materials.  Again you may find them already looted or just haven't re-spawned since you were last there.

When I Mob Grind, I start by forming a group or at least getting four pets.  Before you leave your base try to get as much crafting as you can going so you get the crating XP bonus.  I like to have 200 mana and health potions.  I load my pet or mount up with Wood, because I can always be crafting parchment, an ingredient for Taming scrolls. That can be queued up to 100+ in a crafting station before leaving.  Next is also 100+ Armour crafting, you never know when you will get an epic item with high armour and multiple buffs.  It is best to have multiple crafting stations.  I usually hit three Enemy Camps, and then run, not fly between camps so I can kill all the Roaming Mobs and harvest the crafting materials.  If you fly everywhere, then you are not collecting crafting materials.  If you are not crafting then you don't get the XP bonus from crafting and you run out of Potions or you don't have B.I.S gear.  The magic bonuses are random, so as long as long as you are crafting you may get a better item for that slot.  If you are not crafting items you will never get a better item, other than looting other player and those slow re-spawning chests.

At level 15 you can tame a level 25 flying dragon, they will save you mana potions when you fly.  And they can carry 5x what a player can.  But they sometime de-spawn on server reset.  It has never happened to me.  Those that de-spawned may have been tamed in caves.  This may have been the server attempting to return them to the cave, where they belong.

This is a good game, made by a small independent studio (10-20 people) with three titles under their belt.