Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dark and Light - Early Access Impressions - It's Rough Right Now, But There's Hope - MMORPG.com

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    OG_Zorvan said:

Grunty said:

I guess those who hadn't been around MMOs seven - eight years ago when the first iteration appeared had to learn the hard way.  Dark & Light sucks.  

Ah, the memories....
    Yes indeed !

Remember back in 2006 when everyone was saying: "It's rough, but it has great potential" ?

Such deja vu... :disappointed:
    Wraithone[Deleted User]
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    "It doesn’t matter how fast your connection or how zippy your PC is, Dark & Light is going to try your patience and / or lock up your system through pretty hefty pulls on system resources."

...and ! It will never happen. This will remain bugged even when its releasing ( of course, not this bugged , but still ). Don't get me wrong .. but Asian dev's are not known for their .. optimization skills!
    WraithoneEpicJohnson

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    edited July 2017
    this game should be in early alpha not early acess on stream... it not even done or ready for test...

steam should review what game qualify for early acess now... we got game not even playable or with their base features in early acess... !!

these company will do whatever for make money, now they releases not even playable base game in early acess and drop them after 1 years...

give me one reason they would want finish it now ? they got your money, they will just move over to another game after a while...

gamer should not support these cash grab... shame on you
    WraithoneGdemamiEpicJohnson
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I just watch videos for this game and Citadel forged in fire. Its really sad that for mmo's this is what some call great new games. For me both of these games are really just poor examples of what good mmo's used to be. And i don't blame the players because this is all we get from the genre now.
    Gdemami
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    They are supposedly going to have straight up PvE servers(they created 12) because of the overwhelming demand for PvE servers. When are these game companies going to realize that a majority of MMORPG players are PvE gamers and don't give a rats arse about PvP.
    [Deleted User]WraithoneOctagon7711wingoodKnyttaValentinasschrupp[Deleted User]
  • LeighDidItLeighDidIt Member UncommonPosts: 17
    I'm sorry but I totally disagree with your rather mediocre review of the game. Your whole article was written in a lackluster tone. I just spent the last 4 hours playing the game for the first time and I found, for a early access, the game is pretty well developed. Granted I had a long wait for load up and final in game play but the character creation tools were pretty decent. The dwarf dude I created was pretty cool. I have hopes that this game continues to improve and I feel it shows great promise.
    Tindale111
  • ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Finish games before releasing them please !! Early Access should mean, game is ready to play without so many dam bugs.
    LeFantomeGdemamiKyleranCacolacoEpicJohnson
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Well... Dark and Light is back...(Face Palm...) Early Access? This shouldn't have seen the light of day for at least another 9 months to a year. Given the games past history, one would of thought that they would have been much more careful about their initial impression.

Gabe is really dropping the ball with some of the antics Steam has been allowing over the last couple of years.
    EpicJohnson
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Since they're cranking them out, now that I have a dino world and a medieval world survival game, can the next one be a supernatural world? Thanks in advance. :-)
    BruceYeeTsiya

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    edited July 2017

Since they're cranking them out, now that I have a dino world and a medieval world survival game, can the next one be a supernatural world? Thanks in advance. :-)

sure they will make you all the variety, because in unreal engine they are realy realy easy, quick and fast to make and throw them out in early acess for quick buck !! the important name : PROMISE !! dream AND improvement later on... think how they will change later !! but pay right now, for this buggy mess of early acess !!
    WraithoneOctagon7711
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited July 2017
    Oh my god...  A supernatural thriller survival game akin to Outlast or something?  That actually has a lot of potential in an Until Dawn, small team coop kinda way.
    Octagon7711

• meechammeecham Member CommonPosts: 1
    I have logged in and played 5 or 6 times since last night. The actual login once I choose a server takes 30-45 seconds which seems like a long time to me but nothing like what you described. Clearly there is a lot of work to be done but I'm not hating my time on the game so far.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

Citadel forged with fire was the reason they brought this game out so early

Hmmm, maybe I'll check that out then.
    Raquis
  • RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    Dark and light panicked when Citadel forged with fire said they are also going to release.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Albatroes said:
    Sorry Suzie, hope and Snail games dont go together. They'll just get what they can and then f2p it for a bit more, finally end it on maintenance mode like all their other titles past and present.
    Two years of the best mmorpg gaming experience I ever had with snail. Theeeen it went pay to win, and I quit. Yet still best experience I ever had. Not sure about D&L I probably won't play because of small server size cap. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    Just not touching EA games anymore. Big studio, small studio, doesn't matter. I've done my civic duty with plenty of EA games and now really just want finished, well-made games to play.
    Wraithone
  • krgwynnekrgwynne Member UncommonPosts: 119
    Im not touching early access games at all anymore as i am yet to see one actually get completed and optimized in a decent fashion. I mean look at arc is fun but runs like crap and all they do is add more content and not fix the problems.Pritty sure its due to a crap engine, as is light and dark's main problems. just my opinion i could be wrong and they optimise it but the fact it was originally an mmo means there had to be a reason to not release it as one.
    EpicJohnson
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

meecham said:

I have logged in and played 5 or 6 times since last night. The actual login once I choose a server takes 30-45 seconds which seems like a long time to me but nothing like what you described. Clearly there is a lot of work to be done but I'm not hating my time on the game so far.

Where did you log in, EU or US? One Canadian posted he had no problem with EU but US was bad for him.

Or did you do a single player login, if so experience isn't comparable.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Samhael said:

Citadel forged with fire was the reason they brought this game out so early

Hmmm, maybe I'll check that out then.

Could very well be not much better as they too came out of no where and appear to be in a big rush to launch. Pretty much the standard for these survival games.

Seems like seeing if your patience can survive is their greatest commonality.
    ScorchienWraithoneSpottyGekko

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Finish games before releasing them please !! Early Access should mean, game is ready to play without so many dam bugs.

While I agree they should finish games before launching but early access generally means playable, but do expect bugs and performance issues.

You are describing something more akin to closed or even open beta.

TsiyaWraithonesschrupp

• BcudaBcuda Member UncommonPosts: 164
    They should not be selling this game in this state. I agree that this should be in alpha still and people should try to help the devs by giving feed back on what needs to be fixed. They should pull it for a while so they may fix it. Or they will cause more damage to the game where no one will play it or go back to it.... BUT dont film a couple of devs at a table telling us what your working on and new visions for the future. Every week for 5 years. With no sign of being even close to a release... That universe would suck....
  • winghaven1winghaven1 Member RarePosts: 737

No it doesn't. Early Access means you are most definitely about to play a buggy version, filled with unfinished business. This is just a normal (nowadays) business practice to allow income while they work on the game. So basically, you pay for an unfinished game and that's on you lol. 

Blame the consumers for this mate because free money is free money
    Octagon7711Viper482EpicJohnsonSpottyGekkojimmywolfMax_Striker

Teala said:

They are supposedly going to have straight up PvE servers(they created 12) because of the overwhelming demand for PvE servers. When are these game companies going to realize that a majority of MMORPG players are PvE gamers and don't give a rats arse about PvP.

Is not a MMORPG, not even a MMO really, it is your standard survival game, as one poster put it, ARK with a high fantasy skin.

One overarching theme I've observed in this genre is almost every one launched so far (Rust, 7DtD, ARK, CE, etc) has been full loot, FFA PVP. (With PVE being largely a private server concern)

I've read posts by several on these forums such as @DMKano that these titles lack long term gameplay without open PVP and even regular server wipes to keep them fresh.

Basically they are games, not virtual worlds and long term progression is not a primary design, rather they all seem to be more complex versions of "king of the hill" which are restarted once a winner has been decided.

I see several posters on here who played Conan Exiles just a few months ago and now are trying D&L and I have to wonder why.

I'm sure most will be at the Citadel launch as well.

• francis_baudfrancis_baud Member RarePosts: 479
    2/3 of the 100 most recent user reviews on Steam are positive.

It should recover from the initial downvote bombing pretty quickly.  :)
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Ozmodan said:
    Should never been released to steam in this state.  Most of your early adopters will reject it and probably never go back to it.  Dumb move by Snail.
    56% of the reviews from english speaking players are positive on Steam, which isn't disastrous for a game that just launched in early access.
    Any time you see a "mixed" reaction on steam is a warning flag.   The game is basically single player right now, the multiplayer aspects are flat out broken.  So I stand by what I said, they are killing their game releasing it in this state!
    SBFordTokkenTheScavenger