Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So I tried SWL but...

13»

Comments

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I tried this game for a couple of weeks and uninstalled it. The whole thing was just boring to play through again for me the second time around. They should have figured out a way for vets to play their old characters. The new gear upgrade system gets real grindy and annoying when you get higher lvl too. The business model reminds me of swtor's as how they treat f2p players. Can't wait to see how it does on steam.
    Octagon7711
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Well the original game sucked, the new one is a bit better but needs major UI improvements and game improvements for things such as saving the loadouts for different weapons and such.

The combat is a lot better for sure obviously the game isn't for everyone because I have quit playing for a week.
  • psychosiz1psychosiz1 Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I have been playing this game on a regular basis.  I am enjoying a whole lot and I am glad to see many people in game enjoying it as well.  They did change some of the  dynamics for upgrading gear.  I imagine its going to take me forever to get properly geared for the elite dungeons since I don't spend money on upgrades or those type of things.
    Azaron_NightbladeOctagon7711
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404
    edited July 2017
    Didn't play the original and decided to try this one and we are quite enjoying it, dungeons too.  I personally don't care of it's not a hrdcore challenge as I am not looking for mmo's with a dark soul difficulty so to speak.

From what I can see the server is very active and there seems to be more of us casual than the hardcores so I think funcom made a good move if they are that low on cash.

Way I see it the hardcores had what? .. five years of fun while being subbed and are all milked out so it's time to let us filthy casuals have fun with it and time for us to get milked.
    Kyleran

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Asm0deus said:
    Didn't play the original and decided to try this one and we are quite enjoying it, dungeons too.  I personally don't care of it's not a hrdcore challenge as I am not looking for mmo's with a dark soul difficulty so to speak.

From what I can see the server is very active and there seems to be more of us casual than the hardcores so I think funcom made a good move if they are that low on cash.

Way I see it the hardcores had what? .. five years of fun while being subbed and are all milked out so it's time to let us filthy casuals have fun with it and time for us to get milked.
    Well..the original game was NOT hardcore, infact it was a very easy game already. Sure you had to pay attention to the quests (some of them) to figure out what to do, but the ones you coudn't figure out in five minutes , you coul'd easily skip.  Is there anyone saying that the original game was hardcore ?
    Po_ggDaemonweaver
    thark said:
    Asm0deus said:

Well..the original game was NOT hardcore, infact it was a very easy game already. Sure you had to pay attention to the quests (some of them) to figure out what to do, but the ones you coudn't figure out in five minutes , you coul'd easily skip.  Is there anyone saying that the original game was hardcore ?
    There been some "grumblings" here and there that the combat in the original was much harder and builds could be much more varied and that funcom killed this because ..the casuals.

Never having played the original I can't compare.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Asm0deus said:
    thark said:
    Asm0deus said:

There been some "grumblings" here and there that the combat in the original was much harder and builds could be much more varied and that funcom killed this because ..the casuals.

Never having played the original I can't compare.
    basically you could get your build screwed up, yes, but only if you didn't spend some time with the system..The old system did let you choose from a much larger scope of skills and abilities in the skillwheel and..well..you could get a bad one not suited for a particular area.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited July 2017
    Torval said:
    I like the new game better, a lot better. I like the combat changes and the gearing up almost makes sense now. The maps and narrative mostly flow better now. It's a clearly better experience for me.

There are some rough spots still. They need to fix bugs and crashes. They've been doing so but it's irritating and there have been a lot of them.

Their prices for aurum services are mostly ridiculous. I think the patron perks are decent enough on their own but paying a sub only gets you aurum through better MoF gains that allow you to buy it on the AH. $25 for a weapon quality increase is nuts to me. $8 for 5 storage slots, wtf? I hope they give that whole thing another pass.

That said I enjoy the game with a sub and have been a good time. I'm 35 and about halfway through the Blue Mountains.
    You've basically described my experience as well.  Well said.
    Azaron_Nightblade[Deleted User]
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Torval said:
    Cool. If you need someone to form a premade for earlier storymodes let me know. I seem to run into the over-leveling wall for random queueing. My character is Cisco.

I like to level and empower my gear before queuing for dungeons. My gear isn't that great and I never ran dungeons in TSW so the mechanics of those are new to me. I want to at least be able to contribute if I have to watch and follow mechanics.
    I actually have you in my F list and have been hoping to see you in game.  But I tend to play later at night (Eastern Time) so I'm guessing like normal people you might already be a sleep lol.
  • AriesTigerAriesTiger Member UncommonPosts: 444
    The game is "ok." Sure the new combat style is pretty good but ... it seems lacking and I'm not sure why.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Torval said:
    I'm West coast and play late too which is even later EST. Send me a mail so I can add you too. I'll try logging in earlier. I've been logging in around 9:30 - 10:30pm Pacific (12:30 - 1:30am EST). I'm going to log into Albion tonight.

I only played a little last night. I was trying to do that Orochi mission in the Blue Mtns where you have to sneak into the lab tent and I kept dying before I could trigger everything. I'll give it one more go and then pause it until later.
    That one's a pain lol
    [Deleted User]

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Asm0deus said:
    Nothing's wrong with milking them, too bad they're doing it while giving the finger to the loyal community... which wasn't "the hardcores" btw.

As @thark pointed out above, TSW wasn't "hardcore" at all, on the contrary. Even moreso after the NPE change, it was a faceroll, almost laughably easy.
    The "problem" for those who are now in love with Legends ("problem" in brackets, since it wasn't a problem at all to the community, it was the very core of TSW) was not with the difficulty, it was with freedom. That's why they love the nicely paved yellow brick road in Legends, with tall walls on both sides, and flashing neon signs pointing towards the only possible route :lol:

Freedom with the world: In TSW you could go anywhere and take any missions (minus Tokyo, that was story-locked). Sure, it was thrilling to run around in Trans as a fresh character, and the missions there had an xp penalty (TSW didn't support powerleveling), but you had the option to do that if that was your wish. I think I posted under a giveaway thread here, timed before a golem event, that it's a great time to start, since golems give tons of xp and newbies can join too.
    In Legends you can't even accept missions or go to places which are not in your level range... one of the side-effects of the re-design with levels.

Freedom with the Wheel: you could build any deck you wanted. Which means you could build weaker decks too, but in that matter I have to disagree with thark, you couldn't "fully" screw up, even with the worst deck you still had the option to fix things up pretty quickly - IF you used your brain a little. Sure, it was easier to rage-quit and then spamming the forums how stupid the Wheel is :smiley:
    Well, with Legends you only have 3x5 skills for each weapon, limited slots on the bar, and much stricter rules, so you don't have to think at all, just pick the damage line and push the mouse buttons for da win.

Freedom with the gear: it was totally free as well. You could "craft" (in brackets, it was no crafting, but assembling) everything in game, and also to your liking. You built an evade tank deck and wanted a nice purple tanky headpiece with lots of evade? You just assembled it.
    Then it turned out evade is not your style, and you changed to blocks instead, you just simply switched the evade stats in the headpiece to block. (or kept the piece and built a second one with block... only took a few more mats and an extra kit)
    Just like with decks, gear also had the possibility of someone ending up in a sub-optimal, or even in a weak set of gear, but it was very easy to fix as well.
    Sure, there were all the mats to collect, and patterns to memorize, and yeah in Legends gear is way more simpler - but also a grindy mess. (with a nice cash shop opportunity for FC :wink:  )

Yep, definitely wasn't the hardcore, I think TSW was simply too free for the Legends players, too many options and very little handholding. I'd say unique, but that word was overused in an another thread by someone on opiaths :smiley:
    tharksimmihi
  • Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    I am lvl50, still in BM,not done story mission for this area yet,no pvp-ing, haven't   any dungeon run, yet ... only doing daily challenges 

Well ..I suppose this thread is evident that Secret World atleast has got some new Life, that's good. Just wich they had done this remake for all of us not just "new players", this version is for me a far worse one and with the pletora of games on my hardrive i'm not going to play this game again. 
    Po_gg
    edited July 2017
    Po_gg said:
    Asm0deus said:
    Nothing's wrong with milking them, too bad they're doing it while giving the finger to the loyal community... which wasn't "the hardcores" btw.

As @thark pointed out above, TSW wasn't "hardcore" at all, on the contrary. Even moreso after the NPE change, it was a faceroll, almost laughably easy.
    The "problem" for those who are now in love with Legends ("problem" in brackets, since it wasn't a problem at all to the community, it was the very core of TSW) was not with the difficulty, it was with freedom. That's why they love the nicely paved yellow brick road in Legends, with tall walls on both sides, and flashing neon signs pointing towards the only possible route :lol:

Freedom with the world: In TSW you could go anywhere and take any missions (minus Tokyo, that was story-locked). Sure, it was thrilling to run around in Trans as a fresh character, and the missions there had an xp penalty (TSW didn't support powerleveling), but you had the option to do that if that was your wish. I think I posted under a giveaway thread here, timed before a golem event, that it's a great time to start, since golems give tons of xp and newbies can join too.
    In Legends you can't even accept missions or go to places which are not in your level range... one of the side-effects of the re-design with levels.

Freedom with the Wheel: you could build any deck you wanted. Which means you could build weaker decks too, but in that matter I have to disagree with thark, you couldn't "fully" screw up, even with the worst deck you still had the option to fix things up pretty quickly - IF you used your brain a little. Sure, it was easier to rage-quit and then spamming the forums how stupid the Wheel is :smiley:
    Well, with Legends you only have 3x5 skills for each weapon, limited slots on the bar, and much stricter rules, so you don't have to think at all, just pick the damage line and push the mouse buttons for da win.

Freedom with the gear: it was totally free as well. You could "craft" (in brackets, it was no crafting, but assembling) everything in game, and also to your liking. You built an evade tank deck and wanted a nice purple tanky headpiece with lots of evade? You just assembled it.
    Then it turned out evade is not your style, and you changed to blocks instead, you just simply switched the evade stats in the headpiece to block. (or kept the piece and built a second one with block... only took a few more mats and an extra kit)
    Just like with decks, gear also had the possibility of someone ending up in a sub-optimal, or even in a weak set of gear, but it was very easy to fix as well.
    Sure, there were all the mats to collect, and patterns to memorize, and yeah in Legends gear is way more simpler - but also a grindy mess. (with a nice cash shop opportunity for FC :wink:  )

Yep, definitely wasn't the hardcore, I think TSW was simply too free for the Legends players, too many options and very little handholding. I'd say unique, but that word was overused in an another thread by someone on opiaths :smiley:
    That makes more sense but the OP came across as a cry cry lets blame the casuals players for the changes, I would like more freedom as you mention in your post, but I have seen so much crying on how the game is now 10x easier bla bla.

When I say hardcore I mean those that are still playing the same game after 5 years cause lets face it that's hardcore nowadays.

I played DDO for a long long time and the last few years it has took a direction I do not like so because I preferred how the game was before those changes I have moved on. 

Thing is I see way way too much moaning about how the changes are cause, casuals or XYZ, when the changes are really cause the game is old and needs a new direction to survive and I feel that's where TSW was at and thus why we have SWL as it is.

In essence it's a good change because it will bring new life to the game and those old players should maybe realize if they can't stomach the changes it's probably time to move on to another game as we all must do at some point.

Right now I am in the same boat as Torval on how I feel about the game.

Kyleran[Deleted User]

• HeraseHerase Member RarePosts: 993
    edited July 2017
    Asm0deus said: 

Thing is I see way way too much moaning about how the changes are cause, casuals or XYZ, when the changes are really cause the game is old and needs a new direction to survive and I feel that where TSW was at and thus why we have SWL as it is.

Basing on what long-term players say here and from my POV, it seems they could have done something that didn't shit on the long term community, the game maybe old, but the ideas seemed ahead of what most games have now.

My point is they could have taken it in a new direction without removing it's uniqueness.

They've gone down the same route as many games these days where the games best parts get left on the chopping room floor and we're left with a clone. They, imho, have moved backwards than forwards so, I think it's fair for them to complain, seems you have to start all over again, without crafting system, restrictive trading, no vendors, restrictive leveling, restrictive character building, then told, even thought you been playing since god knows how long, if you don't like it, gtfo.

That doesn't seem like new life or a good thing to me. it's like killing a healthy human being just to create a Frankenstein-esk monster :/ 

simmihi
  • JacobinJacobin Member RarePosts: 1,009
    edited July 2017
    Most people won't stay after a few zones but they are not quitting in Kingsmouth anymore.

The upgrade system gets very grindy and is purely meant to frustrate the player into running the wallet warrior spec.

Most people have better gaming to do than open up 100+ bags a day and sit in the upgrade screen sorting through trash.

And all you get for this tedious jumping through hoops is farming the exact same dungeons you farmed in story mode but with bigger numbers.
    Kyleransimmihi
  • NihilxNihilx Member UncommonPosts: 141
    Did not even know there was a new version of the game. Will give it a try, because I was one of those OP's who loved the story, but who thought combat was an extremely boring endeavour with lacklustre animation. Did not really have a problem with the skill wheel, although it simply did not add anything meaningful to the game. As for the game being hardcore, it wasn't really. But it was however extremely unbalanced if you wanted to solo. 

AC (retired); EQ (retired); DAoC (retired); Horizons (retired); EQII (retired); CoH (retired); AC II (tested); Lineage II (beta); Neocron (tested); Saga of Ryzom (beta); SWG (retired)...

• Walkyier70Walkyier70 Member UncommonPosts: 67
    this is gonna flop so hard its not funny , its not about being casual or hardcore , funcom games such as AO or tsw gave you the options to mess up your builds and have to learn from mistakes . they had originality they had depth . now they turned a good game into a total money grubbing cash machine . I mean the minute you step into buying ap its done .the greed is great with funcom more so then ever. you can have a great story and atmosphere as tsw does and just gut the heart out of it and make it a lifeless limp game with paywalls all over the place . its sad 

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    I remember TSW having more challenge then what you expect from combat in a MMO (outside of instances anyway). The bosses there were not that easy for a new player.

But I just saw a playthrough for SWL and two players barely lost any hp while fighting the bosses I remember as challenging at intended lvl. They also were running around at the beach in that first area, while still too low lvl and just pulled everything from those pods by accident. They ended up there because they could not figure out the quest system lol. Anyway, they pulled about a dozen mobs, killed everything while getting hit by several big attacks and barely lost any hp.

They were just winging it, not even looking at loot what they picked up or checking build and blasted everything in pieces as if in god mode.

Such a contrast with how it used to be. I mean what is the point of action based combat if you can just stand still and soak up damage?
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    They should warn players from the original game that you are pretty much playing the game through a second time with better animations and lower solo difficulty.  There is no reason for someone who played the original to play this version.  
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Played both games since they game out and got a lot further in SWL than in TSW.  Playing through some of the higher level zones would have made me stop playing if I had gotten that far in TSW.  Especially the way they were nerfing skills.
    [Deleted User]Asm0deus

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    The game is easier. Part of that is due to the game play being smoother and more dynamic, at least for myself and my girl.

The Wheel did offer much more nuance in character building. It was also daunting to newcomers and potentially off-putting, as it was for my girl.

We have definitely got more value out of lifetime subscriptions in SWL than we ever did with TSW, but I know many still prefer the original.

However, for those wishing to play new Secret World content in the future SWL is going to be the only game in town, making comparison in that context rather moot.
    Asm0deus
  • SirAgravaineSirAgravaine Member RarePosts: 520
    edited October 2017
    Sounds like they CU'd it. SOE-style.