Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A bit of a disapointment... ok, a pretty big disapontment.

ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,267
I was kind of expecting a large, perpetual, open world.  Instead, all I see are a bunch of small servers, owned by someone, with a max of ~30 people.  There is no large, perpetual, open world.  If you are looking to get this game expecting a sandbox mmo with a large world to explore and make part of it your own, don't.

It is possible I missed something where this was explained, but that doesn't remove my overall disappointment.  If I am wrong, please tell me where I can play the game I thought I purchased. :'(
Wylf[Deleted User]PhryTokkendzjokerpantaroeddieg50

Comments

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Yeah, and the fact the game uses Denvuo so I wasted like $30 on the game and can't even play it because I don't consent to this DRM on my computer, plus no response from the Dev's if they ever plan on removing it while Mass Effect 4, and other games have already started removing it.

The game is a good concept but needs to be made more into a MMORPG, and this is very easy to do but I don't know if FunCom is going to do it or not.
    ultimateduckRexKushmanalivenMrMelGibsonNepheth[Deleted User]EpicJohnsonlaxie
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Sounds like you did indeed miss some information along the way. This is a small server survival game, not an open world sandbox mmo.
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]Nepheth[Deleted User]WaanPhryTokkendzjoker
  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Conan Exiles is more akin to Ark and Rust, it's never been an MMO.
    MrMelGibson[Deleted User]PhryTokkendzjoker
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,267
    Siris23 said:
    That doesn't do me any good after spending the money to buy it. :'(

I saw it advertised as a survival MMO.

RexKushmanMrMelGibson[Deleted User]Phrydzjoker
  • QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited July 2017
    Siris23 said:

If that's so.. if the ad specifically said it was Massively Multiplayer Online (or just MMO), then that could possibly count as false, or at least highly misleading advertising. I don't know what ad you saw, so I can't say either way. But Conan Exiles most definitely is not a MMO.

It also illustrates (again, assuming there is an ad calling it a MMO) why definitions are important, and why it's bad when people and/or companies apply extremely loose meanings to a term, or believe it can mean whatever they want/need it to mean, at any given time.

Kyleran[Deleted User][Deleted User]PhryYashaX
    Siris23 said:

If that's so.. if the ad specifically said it was Massively Multiplayer Online (or just MMO), then that could possibly count as false, or at least highly misleading advertising. I don't know what ad you saw, so I can't say either way. But Conan Exiles most definitely is not a MMO.

It also illustrates (again, assuming there is an ad calling it a MMO) why definitions are important, and why it's bad when people and/or companies apply extremely loose meanings to a term, or believe it can mean whatever they want/need it to mean, at any given time.

From the Conan Exiles website. "Conan Exiles is an open-world survival game set in the brutal universe of Conan the Barbarian."  To me, open world does not mean small, private servers with a limit of 30 people.
    Nepheth[Deleted User]EpicJohnson[Deleted User]PhryYashaX
  • ForgrimmForgrimm Member EpicPosts: 3,059
    Siris23 said:

From the Conan Exiles website. "Conan Exiles is an open-world survival game set in the brutal universe of Conan the Barbarian."  To me, open world does not mean small, private servers with a limit of 30 people.
    Open world just means that it's not an instance-based. lobby type of game.
    Nepheth[Deleted User]Waan[Deleted User]Phry
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Siris23 said:

You do realize that an "open world" game can be in a single player game as well
    DistopialaxieTokken[Deleted User]KyleranMrMelGibsonTheScavengerNepheth[Deleted User]Waanand 4 others.

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited July 2017
    Did you think Skyrim was an MMO as well by it's advertising? Because nothing about that suggests MMO....
    KyleranNepheth[Deleted User][Deleted User]PhryYashaX

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited July 2017

Ahhh okay.

Then, no, you weren't misled. You inferred something from a description that didn't really fit.

Open World does not require, nor mean MMO. The Witcher 3 is Open World, for example.

So in this case, the misunderstanding was on  your end. Understandable, though, with how terms are loosely thrown around anymore these days.

Still, Conan Exiles is *not* a bad game at all. If you can get around your disappointment in it not being what you expected, you might still want to give it a go. It's not a bad game at all. I rather enjoy it, myself.

Or, if it's through Steam, and you're within the time limit, you could request a refund and just explain you mistook the kind of game it was.
    laseritURMAKERrodingo[Deleted User]PhryYashaX
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 691
    I was kind of expecting a large, perpetual, open world.  Instead, all I see are a bunch of small servers, owned by someone, with a max of ~30 people.  There is no large, perpetual, open world.  If you are looking to get this game expecting a sandbox mmo with a large world to explore and make part of it your own, don't.

It is possible I missed something where this was explained, but that doesn't remove my overall disappointment.  If I am wrong, please tell me where I can play the game I thought I purchased. :'(

Failcom.. What did you expect?
    DistopiaNepheth[Deleted User]

Distopia said:
    Did you think Skyrim was an MMO as well by it's advertising? Because nothing about that suggests MMO....
    Skyrim doesn't say "Wage war on enemy players, blow up their city walls, and take control of the Exiled Lands." in conjunction with "Conan Exiles is an open-world survival game set in the brutal universe of Conan the Barbarian."... so no, not the same.

Nepheth[Deleted User][Deleted User]
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    At least it has/had a slider for penis size...
    ultimateduckTokkenBruceYeeMrMelGibsonPhryYashaX
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    At least it has/had a slider for penis size...
    why would that need a slider....everyone going to set it to max anyway
    ultimateduckKyleranMrMelGibson
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The idea of running player servers does NOT work in a mmorpg setting or even a survival setting.
    It does work with fps's where a game lasts maybe 5 minutes.

Conan just like H1Z1 was a very cheap fast to market cash grab from two identical devs who are/were strapped financially.
    I would hope the majority of gamer's have enough common sense to notice when a dev is serious about their game and when it is just a cash grab and a cheap lazy effort.
    Here is one hint "when a dev says early access,Do NOT support them and their lazy half assed effort.
    if a developer says it can produce a quality game,then DO IT,let's see it,never mind the bull of telling me what you might do or promise you can do,just give us some money first,TRUST us.
    I say skip the commercials,i am not listening,show me what you got and that is it.

Conan showed me they had nothing worth supporting,nothing at all and SHOULD have been obvious to everyone else.
    BruceYeeEpicJohnson

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

LOL... even the description on this page screams MMO.

"CONAN EXILES is a sandbox survival game which takes place in the legendary world of Conan the Barbarian. The game is created by Funcom. You are an exile, one of thousands cast out to fend for themselves in a barbaric wasteland swept in sandstorms and besieged by enemies on every side."

They don't tell you that the thousands of others who were cast out in the vast sandbox world are all in separate games of 30 people or less.

YashaX
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    edited July 2017

It's a small world after all. :-) I guess it is misleading.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    Doesn't sound misleading to me. Nowhere does it state it is a massively multiplayer online game. It is advertised as a "sandbox survival open-world game", which if anything, implies small private servers.

What's more, Steam has a very generous 2-hour refund policy. If you don't like a game within the first 2 hours of play time, you can return it with no questions asked. This would cover a situation like yours perfectly. You buy a game thinking it's MMO, find out it's private server based, and then are able to return it with no fees.

In this day and age though, there is no excuse for not doing research about a game. It takes 5 minutes to find a review on Youtube. Whenever I buy a product without any research and it turns out crap, I don't really complain - it's my fault in that situation.
    laseritMrMelGibsonEpicJohnsonPhryYashaX
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    LOL... even the description on this page screams MMO.

"CONAN EXILES is a sandbox survival game which takes place in the legendary world of Conan the Barbarian. The game is created by Funcom. You are an exile, one of thousands cast out to fend for themselves in a barbaric wasteland swept in sandstorms and besieged by enemies on every side."

They don't tell you that the thousands of others who were cast out in the vast sandbox world are all in separate games of 30 people or less.

I think a lawyer might read the phrase 'one of thousands' to be rather misleading, especially in light of a 30 person limit.

I messed with this at my friend's house a couple of weeks ago.   I was on a server that had experience ramped up.  My new character couldn't gather grass (an 'am I close enough' thing) but I outleveled my friend before I found water.  Levels don't help when you can't tell if you are close enough to hit the orc thing.
    aliven

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

I sent FunCom an email asking for a refund and waited four days for a reply, which they never sent, so I contested the purchase with my bank based on a fraudulent game description (and I felt like a complete dork during that call)... just because I don't dig getting duped, and I felt like I got duped. They said the money will be back in my account tomorrow.
    MrMelGibsonKyleranYashaX
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    Renoaku said:
    Yeah, and the fact the game uses Denvuo so I wasted like $30 on the game and can't even play it because I don't consent to this DRM on my computer, plus no response from the Dev's if they ever plan on removing it while Mass Effect 4, and other games have already started removing it.

The game is a good concept but needs to be made more into a MMORPG, and this is very easy to do but I don't know if FunCom is going to do it or not.
    Again with your DRM crap?
    MrMelGibsonNephethk61977

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited July 2017
    I sent FunCom an email asking for a refund and waited four days for a reply, which they never sent, so I contested the purchase with my bank based on a fraudulent game description (and I felt like a complete dork during that call)... just because I don't dig getting duped, and I felt like I got duped. They said the money will be back in my account tomorrow.
    You didn't get "duped". You just neglected to do research.
    You also bought an incomplete game, that's clearly labeled as such, with many maps yet to be added to it.
    ultimateduckKyleranNephethPhryk61977YashaX

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    Ginaz said:
    Renoaku said:

Again with your DRM crap?
    You're right DRM is crap and doesn't work.
    Phry

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,455
    You purchased a game thinking it was something it wasn't after doing little to no research on what it actually was then have the balls to do a charge back because of a "fraudulent game description"?  You realize making a dumbass charge back claim is worse for you in the long run than just swallowing the $40 loss?  It can do serious damage to your credit rating as well as make your credit card company less willing to accommodate you next time, for something possibly costing much more.  You must be a kid or a young college student because I have a hard time believing an adult can be this dumb.  Literally everyone who bought the game knew what it was.  Everyone except you.  Your problem wasn't with Funcom having a misleading description of their game, your problem lies between your chair and keyboard.
    ForgrimmultimateduckMrMelGibsonKyleranNephethEpicJohnson[Deleted User]YashaX

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• alivenaliven Member UncommonPosts: 346
    You are adorable :)
    ultimateduckMrMelGibsonKyleranNephethPhryYashaX