Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am going to buy a new game!

Comments

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Kyleran said:
    I definitely think Overwatch is going to be the "shooter" I give a try to, hopefully as it seems to be a good choice for someone who hasn't really played shooters in many years.
    I am not sure "shooter" is the right label, something like "arena shooter" would be more accurate, it is more "Team fortress" then "Battlefield".

It is a good game though and if you like competitive PvP it is certainly worth buying. :)
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Torval said:
    I've never played TF. How is it different?

From the FPS games I've there are 2 main things that seem to differentiate combat mechanics - hits to die and physics. Games like Rainbox Six Siege where you die in a couple of hits compared to Division which is bullet spongey. Or Battlefield 1 where physics are a serious factor and Destiny where they're not.

I get that some FPS are just about the guns and some have roles and others classes is that what you mean when comparing them?
    TF is more of a arenastyled game while regular FPS games are more of a war simulator. Also, TF styled games tend to be more cartoon violence then more realistic games like R6: Siege (which I BTW like as well). 

Then there are also far more realistic games like some of the Ghost recon and the ARMA games, they are more Mil sim FPS.

So basically, TF and Overwatch are more of a cartoony sport instead of simulated war. Not all of these games have classes or like OW characters with specific powers, but they have a similar feeling to it. Games like battlefield 1 have a totally different feel as you play.

Yeah, not the best explanation...
    [Deleted User]
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    I will apologize up front, I did not read the entire thread, just @Kyleran first post.

Overwatch would be a game I recommend. It is well maintained, and of course a lobby game so you can jump in and out pretty much at will.

Black Desert isn't a bad title either. It does have its issues but there is plenty to do in that game.

Anyway, best of luck with your search, let us know what you decide.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited July 2017
    If you want a good varied view of what the RPG genre has been doing the last 10 years here are a couple of recommendations:

-Darkest Dungeon. Just read the above comments
    -Divinity: Original Sin. To see what group based, RPGs have become, also very, very cleverly written.
    -Nier: Automata. One of my all time favourites, self reflecting and Meta in its design and gameplay
    -Dark souls series. Take physics, no pause, auto save and punishing gameplay and put them in a dungeon crawler that doesn't as much hold your hand as push you of a cliff.
    -Legend of Grimrock. Remember Eye of the Beholder and Lands of Lore? Well, like that with current day graphics.

I could go on but won't. These 5 give you a pretty good idea of what the RPG genre looks like from just about every different angle. Also 5 games that are worth their weight in gold.

You might want to check out Grimoire too when it releases one of these days. Now THAT is oldschool dungeon crawling like Wizardry 7.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• SteelhelmSteelhelm Member UncommonPosts: 332
    I'm an rpg fan too mostly when it comes to computer games, mostly in the fantasy genre. I use the metacritic list when it comes to something old or new I want to try. Still a lot of titles in the first few pages I haven't tried and probably never will have time to. :)
    http://www.metacritic.com/browse/games/genre/metascore/role-playing/pc?view=condensed
    Talking about games where thousands of players exist simultaneously in a single instance and mechanics related to such games.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    1. Shadowrun dragonfall, hbs nailed the futuristic setting with this turn-based tactical RPG gem.
    2. Dark souls 1, because you enjoy exploration and killing huge demons with your blade, axe and magic.
    3. Hollow knight, because you enjoy platform exploration of the metroidvania style. As a bonus it got a very charming art style.
    MrMelGibson
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Witcher 3

Fallout 4

Mass Effect 1-3
    I forgot a few :smile:

X-COM 2 (and upcoming xpac)

KoTOR 1 and 2 (for 2 on steam make sure to install the sith lords complete patch mod.)

Metro: 2033 and Metro: Last Light

Divinity: Original Sin

Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun.

I have a bunch more, but most have already been suggested by others so no need to mention.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    @Kyleran you should try EVE online, it's a good game, you might like it.

kitarad[Deleted User]ScorchienKyleranholdenhamletHatefull

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Sooo ... what did you decide on?
    [Deleted User]
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Hatefull said:
    I will apologize up front, I did not read the entire thread, just @Kyleran first post.

Overwatch would be a game I recommend. It is well maintained, and of course a lobby game so you can jump in and out pretty much at will.

Black Desert isn't a bad title either. It does have its issues but there is plenty to do in that game.

Anyway, best of luck with your search, let us know what you decide.

^ I Agree with this, except the BDO part.  BDO is the devil.  For real.
    KyleranMrMelGibson
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    ste2000 said:
    @Kyleran you should try EVE online, it's a good game, you might like it.

Naw, I hate space games and speadsheets.
    [Deleted User]Hatefullste2000holdenhamletMrMelGibson

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Scorchien said:
    Well I decided to start slow and cheap, so I bought Fallout New Vegas.

I've got about 25 games on my steam watch list mostly of the games you guys gave me waiting on good deals.

Also downloaded that free game on GOG, Jotun?
    [Deleted User]waynejr2YashaX[Deleted User]MrMelGibson

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,959
    Torval said:
    ste2000 said:
    Scot said:
    There is a ton of great gams out there, Op needs to give us some idea of genres liked before we can do recommendations.
    He did.
    He said he used to play RTS but his favorite genre is RPG.

That's like saying "I like cars so recommend one for me. I used to drive domestic but my favorite are trucks." Well, that narrows it right down. :lol:

We will work with what we have then. As the Op tends to buy stuff well past launch date (a wise move, typically do that myself) I will recommend Dragon Age Inquisition and Pillars of Eternity.

MrMelGibson
    Scot said:
    Torval said:
    ste2000 said:
    Scot said:
    There is a ton of great gams out there, Op needs to give us some idea of genres liked before we can do recommendations.
    He did.
    He said he used to play RTS but his favorite genre is RPG.

That's like saying "I like cars so recommend one for me. I used to drive domestic but my favorite are trucks." Well, that narrows it right down. :lol:

We will work with what we have then. As the Op tends to buy stuff well past launch date (a wise move, typically do that myself) I will recommend Dragon Age Inquisition and Pillars of Eternity.

POE is definitely on the watch list.  DAI I'll have to do some additional research on, thanks for the suggestions.
    MrMelGibson

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550
    So, as we're getting into the nuts and bolts now, a word on why I clicked with The Void so much:

It's one of those games that reveals its mechanics over time; there are a lot of them, it's harsh, unforgiving, and easy to enter a death spiral from which there is no return.  That's the whole point, though: the less you know about this game going in, the better.  It's a game that forces you to question everything you do more and more the longer you play.  The game itself is an unreliable narrator.

You'll stop short at the content warning on Steam: the game contains nudity.  Now that that's out of the way, it's not like other games with nudity: although it may be a hook to some immature gamers, that's fine if it at least gets you to become aware that this title even exists.

What's great about The Void is not just that it's an interwoven amalgam of arcane mechanics, it's the style and setting in which these mechanics are presented (the developers are also responsible for 'Pathologic' and 'Knock-Knock' if that means anything).  You see, The Void is a metaphor for one's dying moments; it's about a beautiful hallucination: one's last dying breaths that might stretch into metaphysical months, and all the exchanges in chakra and memory that occur therein.  Of course the game contains nudity, because it's The Bardo Thodol in digital form.  The wrathful and benevolent deities are present; you may be utterly at their mercy, you will give them gifts and make bargains in order to avoid slipping into the nightmare below.

That's one interpretation anyway: the game is purposefully vague in narrative, but it definitely draws attention to the body, mortality, and a sort of unsane ecosystem.  Not to use the term lightly, it's genre-defying.

The following paragraph from this Steam review sums it up nicely:

"The Void is a computer simulation of a highly complex system which you will not understand. From the first moments, you are required to manipulate its many variables, all obscured by very peculiar terms and tangled in a complex web of relationships. Helping the system is hurting it. Everything has consequences. You cannot know what they are. What you are doing is probably wrong."

To this I would add that the variables are the colors and energies of one's own body and environment (or lack thereof) in a Tibetanesque window of time just after (or just before?) death.

It also has a nice soundtrack.
    Wow I'm intrigued.  Will check it out.  I didn't read the entire post because I didn't want to know more; as you mention that is best. :)
    Phaserlight

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:

I've got about 25 games on my steam watch list mostly of the games you guys gave me waiting on good deals.

I'd be interested to know your "25" list, out of curiosity :)
    Sure,  let me reorder it, right now it's just in the order I added them.

I actually added to it by hitting the recommended for  you button and going through the list...about 35 or 40 times. (Was quite a project)

I compared it to the consolidated list I got from here, crossing out the matches.

I learned not all games are on Steam (like EA or Blizzard titles) so they have to be added in manually.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:

I actually added to it by hitting the recommended for  you button and going through the list...about 35 or 40 times. (Was quite a project)

I compared it to the consolidated list I got from here, crossing out the matches.

I learned not all games are on Steam (like EA or Blizzard titles) so they have to be added in manually.
    In case you didn't know about Origin, their yearly membership is not a bad a deal at all if you want to play all those DA or ME games for free as they are included. If I remember correctly it's $15 / year.
    KyleranholdenhamletMrMelGibson
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:

In case you didn't know about Origin, their yearly membership is not a bad a deal at all if you want to play all those DA or ME games for free as they are included. If I remember correctly it's $15 / year.
    Well, its actually $4.99 per month or $29.99 per year, which is a good deal for access to all of those games.

Geez, where do you guys find the time to play all of these?

MrMelGibson

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:

Yep, Origin is a pretty nice deal, especially for your situation where you probably have not played any of the free games they give you.

You could also try Star Wars: Battlefront for free to see if you have any interest in shooter-type games.  It's not the same as Overwatch, but you could pretty easily find out if you're allergic to FPS games.
    MrMelGibson
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:

Yep, Origin is a pretty nice deal, especially for your situation where you probably have not played any of the free games they give you.

You could also try Star Wars: Battlefront for free to see if you have any interest in shooter-type games.  It's not the same as Overwatch, but you could pretty easily find out if you're allergic to FPS games.
    I agree.  Origins honestly gets a bad rap.  It is just as good as steam and in some ways I prefer it tbh.  The membership is also great if you haven't played the games offered with the sub.  You can try out most and even some newer games with 10 hour limits and etc.
    [Deleted User]
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Star Wars Battlefront Ultimate Edition is on sale for $9.99 on Origin.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Nyctelios said:
    Iselin said:
    Kyleran said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scorchien said:

I agree.  Origins honestly gets a bad rap.  It is just as good as steam and in some ways I prefer it tbh.  The membership is also great if you haven't played the games offered with the sub.  You can try out most and even some newer games with 10 hour limits and etc.
    Because they were as bad as Uplay. They rap have a basis. Is not random hate.

But they were the first to introduce solid refund policies. So they worked on it, they applied some sort of quality insurance unlike Steam in which is the same old store full with all kinds of weird (and sometimes useless) stuff.

That's the key word here "were".  Origins started off bumpy for sure.  Now it rivals Steam and only gets hate because it's EA.  

I don't know what it is about Origins, but my games download super fast.  Steam is fast as well, but Origins tends to DL faster.  Maybe because steam has a larger base that DLs more games.  The interface could use a bit of work. But I prefer the way the game library UI on Origins over steam.  I also like the free games that Origins gives out now and then.  I got Dead Space 2, Jade Empire and a couple others with the "On the house" specials they give out every once in a while.  

I think people should it give another chance if they haven't used it since launch.  Its improved a lot since that time.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Well imo, I think a lot of people are bored with the quality of games released these days most games especially those from Korea are either Pay 2 Enjoy meaning you have to spend money for cosmetic items, or Pay 2 Win.

And if its not that its the general quality of games has declined a lot compared to the older days of gaming its hard to find anything worth actually really playing anymore...

Which is why I hope Crow Fall & Ashes OF creation change this.
    Renoaku said:
    Well imo, I think a lot of people are bored with the quality of games released these days most games especially those from Korea are either Pay 2 Enjoy meaning you have to spend money for cosmetic items, or Pay 2 Win.

And if its not that its the general quality of games has declined a lot compared to the older days of gaming its hard to find anything worth actually really playing anymore...

Which is why I hope Crow Fall & Ashes OF creation change this.
    Posted in wrong thread? Not at all what's being discussed here.
    MrMelGibson