Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am going to buy a new game!

Comments

• DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    Bayonetta on steam!

holdenhamlet

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Bayonetta I would love to play it but game is too hard for me the action games really are too hard for me.
    Arclan

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    My 3 recommendations:

1) Cities: Skylines

Just a really well made game. Easy to get into but so many options that you can play it for 100s of hours. Really good looking and also a great modding community behind it to extend the life of the game. It is quite a relaxed game too so you can really take your time and chill out. I usually have a TV series or movie going at the same time - perfect for when you're monging out

2) Total War: Warhammer / Medieval II / Empire

The Total War games are pretty great, I love the large scale battles and it's really fun building up a massive empire and taking over the world. My personal favourite is Warhammer as I love the IP and the addition of heroes and magic makes the battles a bit more fun, but the grand campaign is somewhat simplified. Medieval II is probably the best all-round Total War, having the most options for progression and troops. Empire is also really great - it's just awesome fun watching your line infantry do line by line firing. I personally didn't enjoy the Rome games - whilst the units looked cool, there wasn't enough diversity so the game got very samey very quickly. 

3) Deus Ex - Human Revolution / Mankind Divided

These two Deus Ex games are great fun. Good stories and an interesting take on the future, the gameplay itself is actually pretty immersive. Good character progression in both, good mixture of story / stealth / hacking / shooting / melee. Admittedly, it took me a while to get into them - the starts are a bit slow so it takes a while to get hooked - but it's worth it. 

Honorable mentions:
    • GTAV - Best in the series, awesome single player mode with some great missions. Somewhat lacking on what you can do in the sandbox world, and online is just a glorified lobby game. 
    • XCOM / XCOM 2 - Both amazing games that I loved. Once you've cracked the combat/classes, missions are a bit samey, but the squad customisation (especially in 2) is the biggest draw for me. 
    • Steep - I know you said leave out sports games, but this one kicked ass. In my opinion, there hasn't been a good extreme sports game since Skate 3 in 2010, but this one is amazing. Completely open world, I love just exploring and finding new lines. Particularly love wingsuiting. 
    • Dawn of War II - My favourite of the series, really enjoyable campaign plus a load of expansions / dlc to extend the game. Mainly love it because it's WH40k. 
    • Prison Architect - Just a fun little sim game

Hope you enjoy you're new purchases, whatever you go for. 
    Arclan
  • YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    For rpgs you have to try these if you haven't played them yet:

Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
    Witcher 3
    Skyrim
    Dragon Age Origins

There are so many great games out there, but imo these four are all masterpieces and incredible fun. 

Arclan
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    There is a ton of great gams out there, Op needs to give us some idea of genres liked before we can do recommendations.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Scot said:
    There is a ton of great gams out there, Op needs to give us some idea of genres liked before we can do recommendations.
    He did.
    He said he used to play RTS but his favorite genre is RPG.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Witcher 3, hands down.  If you only play one game made in the last 4 years, it's that one.
    Arclan
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    Robsolf said:
    Witcher 3, hands down.  If you only play one game made in the last 4 years, it's that one.
    I cant even come remotely close to agree with that for multiple reasons

but fair enough we are all entitled to our opinions
    Arclan

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    Kyleran said:
    Forgrimm said:
    Kyleran = Kopogero? Hmmm...
    LOL, please I haven't gotten that bad have I?  Maybe so.

Well you guys are too quick to pile on, I mis-clicked trying to delete the poll I inadvertently added so I hope some of you will revisit the OP now that I've completed it.
    When I read the title of the thread, I thought Kopo was back :D.

You bought Albion and it is now launching in several days. Why not play that? Did you not like it? 
    It just didn't grab me, but then when I trialed it I only did PVE activities in the safe zones.  An EVE corp mate of mine gave it a go at the same time, and he joined up with a hard core PVP outfit right from day one

They outfitted him the first day and had him and others muling gear out from the trade hubs to the PVP zones to sell and stock. 

He had a far more entertaining experience, so if I could find a good crew to run with I might like Albion, but so far haven't really found anyone to hook up with. 

Besides, I did that already and it's not all that different than what I've done before, I want to try a few other games outside of my comfort zone, see what I might be missing.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

SEANMCAD said:
    Kyleran said:
    Yeah, I know, no big deal, for some of you this is an almost daily occurrence. 

For me however I have purchased exactly two new games in 4 years, buying Wasteland 2 last Nov and Albion Online last fall...

just curious and not to start a discussion about early access but did you know Wasteland 2 was an early access title?

Well yeah, but I bought it about 2 years after it released, so was a safe bet.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Rimworld

Kerbal Space Program

Ark: Survival Evolved
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Torval said:
    ste2000 said:
    Scot said:
    He did.
    He said he used to play RTS but his favorite genre is RPG.

That's like saying "I like cars so recommend one for me. I used to drive domestic but my favorite are trucks." Well, that narrows it right down. :lol:
    I was rather trying to break my existing paradigms so I am fine with finding out what games you most enjoyed, in any particular genre really.  I plan to try a variety .

So a quick synopsis, well over 60 different games recommended by everyone, with the most recommended (3 votes or more) being as follows:

Darkest Dungeon
    Skyrim
    Witcher 3
    Massive Chalice
    X-Com 1/2
    Stardew Valley

I've got quite a bit of research this weekend to review these and most of the others from the list, but thanks to all for the great ideas, certainly likely to find a good selection to try.

I'll put them on various watch lists as some of you recommended in case any go on sale.

Heck, I'm even going to finally load Steam on my "new" gaming laptop.  (had it for over 3 years now)  :)

I do have Steam on my old laptop, signed up when I bought DAO and Skyrim many years ago, might have to revisit both of them again.

ScorchienArclan

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Kyleran said:
    So a quick synopsis, well over 60 different games recommended by everyone, with the most recommended (3 votes or more) being as follows:

Darkest Dungeon
    Skyrim
    Witcher 3
    Massive Chalice
    X-Com 1/2
    Stardew Valley

I've got quite a bit of research this weekend to review these and most of the others from the list, but thanks to all for the great ideas, certainly likely to find a good selection to try.

I'll put them on various watch lists as some of you recommended in case any go on sale.

Heck, I'm even going to finally load Steam on my "new" gaming laptop.  (had it for over 3 years now)  :)

I do have Steam on my old laptop, signed up when I bought DAO and Skyrim many years ago, might have to revisit both of them again.

Let us know how it goes
    Arclan
  • holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    edited July 2017
    Hey Dude don't forget Overwatch.  It's $40 and you never have to spend another cent on this online game with great support from Blizzard (It's their baby and will be for the next year at least as they try to get the Overwatch League off the ground).  Plus it's basically a lobby game so you can load it, stay off it etc. whenever you want and come back whenever you want and it's always the same.  If nothing else, it's the ultimate side game for online gamers.

I do have to agree with 1 game on that list, though- Darkest Dungeon.  It's a real masterpiece.

Skyrim and Witcher 3 are both great games but to me they were kind of "been there, done that".
    [Deleted User]
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Man, I keep hearing great things about Witcher 3.  How difficult is the combat?  I have a damned hand injury and I'm slow and old to begin with.
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    Elidien said:
    Skyrim
    Pillars of Eternity
    Grim Dawn

Three different kinds of games and games that I would argue at or near the top of their respective style (RPG, turn-based, ARPG).
    I'd definitely say Path of Exile over Grim Dawn, though both are good.
    bartoni33
  • DvoraDvora Member UncommonPosts: 499
    Man, I keep hearing great things about Witcher 3.  How difficult is the combat?  I have a damned hand injury and I'm slow and old to begin with.
    I would say you would probably have a hard time with it :(

• time007time007 Member UncommonPosts: 1,062
    save your money
    CecropiaArclan

IMPORTANT:  Please keep all replies to my posts about GAMING.  Please no negative or backhanded comments directed at me personally.  If you are going to post a reply that includes how you feel about me, please don't bother replying & just ignore my post instead.  I'm on this forum to talk about GAMING.  Thank you.
  • TomteTomte Member UncommonPosts: 39
    edited July 2017

My humble list of must plays, in no particular order. To hard picking only three
    Moonstone
    Eye of the beholder series
    Baldurs gate series
    Fallout 1,2
    Age of empires 2
    Warhammer Shadow of the horned rat
    Brother tales of two sons
    Limbo
    Witcher 3
    Dawn of war 1

Currently playing Domina and Total war Rome 2, which are also good

Happy hunting!
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Witcher 3

Fallout 4

Mass Effect 1-3
    bartoni33Robsolf
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited July 2017
    Witcher 3

Fallout 4

Mass Effect 1-3
    No Andromeda?
    How comes? :o

bartoni33

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    edited July 2017
    ste2000 said:
    Witcher 3

Fallout 4

Mass Effect 1-3
    No Andromeda?
    How comes? :o

@ste2000 If he doesn't enjoy 1-3 than I doubt he will enjoy Andromeda.  If he does enjoy it, than I definitely recommend Andromeda.  It's a pretty good game.
    [Deleted User]
    Hey Dude don't forget Overwatch.  It's $40 and you never have to spend another cent on this online game with great support from Blizzard (It's their baby and will be for the next year at least as they try to get the Overwatch League off the ground).  Plus it's basically a lobby game so you can load it, stay off it etc. whenever you want and come back whenever you want and it's always the same.  If nothing else, it's the ultimate side game for online gamers.
    I agree here, I honestly never thought I'd ever play a shooter again, specially not a "PvP" one, yet I'm still playing Overwatch now, after trying it in beta and subsequently pre-ordering because I had so much fun.
    I definitely think Overwatch is going to be the "shooter" I give a try to, hopefully as it seems to be a good choice for someone who hasn't really played shooters in many years.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Kyleran said:

Darkest Dungeon
    Skyrim
    Witcher 3
    Massive Chalice
    X-Com 1/2
    Stardew Valley

Massive Chalice and XCOM have quite similar gameplay, so I would go with only one of the two at first - whichever you prefer the setting and atmosphere of.
    [Deleted User]Kyleran
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.