Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Arcfall: Previews: A Fresh Take on the Sandbox Exploration Game

Comments

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    edited July 2017

Kryn said:

BizkitNL said:

sorry what? pre-alpha for 19.99 is a "good place to get started"?

Disregard the odds that this piece of shit will likely never develop past "beta", paying these fake game makers is like buying snakeskin oil.

Feel free to back up those claims with facts. What you just posted isn't helping anyone (Also, the venting room is ---> that way).

In my eyes he presented more facts than you. These early access garbage games have gotten out of control.

You agree with his opinion. That's fine.

Still 0 facts in why he feels this way about the game. Do I have to explain what a fact is? I feel I do....
    MitaraHatefull
  • SEANMCADSEANMCAD Member EpicPosts: 16,775
    'a fresh' take by being 'old school'

oh brother
    Mitara

Please do not respond to me, even if I ask you a question, its rhetorical.

Please do not respond to me

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Forgrimm said:
    Looks like it will be in direct competition with Albion.
    At least it has a clean slate ATM, which Albion certainly does not.
  • NeojacNeojac Member UncommonPosts: 157

Mitara said:

This game does look like it has some potential. But it does have problems too...

You have to do quests to level, you cannot kill stuff to earn any xp.

Actually there is no XP in the game, you have to build your character by using a weapon or doing something in the game like harvesting. That will gain your skills in set thing and you gain stats increases from certain skill levels. Like for instance to gain Strength stat you need to level up your swordsmanship which you do by hacking away on enemies with a sword. Quests only gives you items to use no experience points and are mostly just used for lore and tutorials.

www.neojac.com
    www.arcfall.com

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    edited July 2017

Ozmodan said:

Forgrimm said:

This game looks like it has borrowed quite a bit from Albion though. I know there aren't laws against that but don't you think that's a bit strange?

@Neojac Are you involved with this game too because unless my memory fails me weren't you here promoting another game a while back called Neo-something that kind of looked like shards online?
    The only thing that's similar to Albion I think is might be the top down view and the style of the environment to a point. We use the same technology to produce our environments that Albion does namely Unity and some assets for building environments but that's about it. We have higher resolution textures than theirs and our characters has a higher poly count as we are not producing our game for mobile but for pc platform. We also don't have any instance zoning unlike with Albion where you have to travel through a loading screen every 10 min , ours is one open world. Arcfall has allot more in common with games like Ultima Online where we use a similar skill progression system and combat system to theirs. Arcfall has been compared to Old School RuneScape. Our company is also developing Neos Land which another team is working on currently. Arcfall originally was made as a demo test game for our own engine we have been developing for many years now and it was so much fun to play we decided to launch it as a game. The design of Arcfall is way easier than Neos Land thus it has come out before Neos Land. Do note though Neos Land was started before Shards Online or now Legends Of Aria. Neos Land is also a full 3d view and more along the line of a survival MMO, although we have kept its development very quite for a while now as we have been doing major changes to its design and more information will be released on that in the next few months. Hope that helps clear up a bit of information.
    ManWithNoTan

www.neojac.com
    www.arcfall.com

• jason523jason523 Member UncommonPosts: 96
    They do have another game in development called Neos Land. They say they have different teams working on each game.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    BruceYee said:

Ozmodan said:

Forgrimm said:

This game looks like it has borrowed quite a bit from Albion though. I know there aren't laws against that but don't you think that's a bit strange?

@Neojac Are you involved with this game too because unless my memory fails me weren't you here promoting another game a while back called Neo-something that kind of looked like shards online?
    'They Live' avatar? So you are that other person in the theatre. ;)
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • PeskyPesky Member UncommonPosts: 157
    edited July 2017
    Such a shame this game has open PvP! It looks really interesting.

But like Albion Online and all the other games that feature rich PvE systems, I will never play them because of the open PvP.
    edited July 2017
    Wow! What a difference a few minutes makes. I've just read through the comments and saw this post from one of the Devs:

The PvP will not be as normal PvP, it will be based on your character's Karma. Doing good deeds gives you good Karma and doing bad deeds gives you bad Karma. Stealing is one of those skills that will give you bad Karma. Now a player can't steal from another player if the other player's Karma is above 80% good. Same goes for PvP type Skills like murder where a player cant kill another player if the others Karma is above 40% good. So players that only want to play PvE will just have to keep their Karma above 40% good, where as players that want to kill others have to keep their Karma below 50% bad. This creates a unique PvP/PvE system where its up to each player what he wants to play in the same world. There is good rewards for those wanting full PvP as well as for those wanting full PvE.

This has completely changed my opinion about the game. If I can avoid PvP then I'm now extremely interested in the game.

Neojac you need to stress this point about the game in every article and on the main website. Because you almost lost me. If I hadn't seen that comment I would have just dismissed the game out of hand and never looked at it again.

I think there are a lot of us 'carebears' who are interested in Albion Online, but we'll never play it because of the open PvP system.

Arcfall now looks like a viable alternative for those people who love the rich PvE features of Albion (crafting. farming, gathering, trading on the Auction House...etc) but are turned off by the idea of open PvP.

Anyway, I'm now watching Arcfall with interest. But truly, I can't stress enough how much you need to clarify that PvP in Arcfall will be optional. This is a huge selling feature that folks need to know about.
    I forgot to ask, is there anyway to buy the game without Steam?

Because I don't (and won't) use Steam. But I'm very, very tempted to buy the game now.
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    BruceYee said:

Ozmodan said:

Forgrimm said:

The game looks like Ultima Online far more than it looks like Albion.
    postlarval
  • DarkEvilHatredDarkEvilHatred Member UncommonPosts: 229

BizkitNL said:

Kryn said:

BizkitNL said:

Disregard the odds that this piece of shit will likely never develop past "beta", paying these fake game makers is like buying snakeskin oil.

Feel free to back up those claims with facts. What you just posted isn't helping anyone (Also, the venting room is ---> that way).

In my eyes he presented more facts than you. These early access garbage games have gotten out of control.

Still 0 facts in why he feels this way about the game. Do I have to explain what a fact is? I feel I do....

Here's a fact for you. People are tired of wasting money on EA games that are all hype and don't deliver.
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

BizkitNL said:

Kryn said:

BizkitNL said:

Here's a fact for you. People are tired of wasting money on EA games that are all hype and don't deliver.
    Here's a fact: People are sick of wasting money on independent devs that are all hype and no delivery.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

Pesky said:

I forgot to ask, is there anyway to buy the game without Steam?

Because I don't (and won't) use Steam. But I'm very, very tempted to buy the game now.

Yes you can buy a founders pack from our website and use our patcher and play the game without Steam. Here is a link:
    http://www.neojac.com/index.php/games/arcfall
    HatefullPesky

www.neojac.com
    www.arcfall.com

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Hatefull said:

BizkitNL said:

Kryn said:

BizkitNL said:

Here's a fact: People are sick of wasting money on independent devs that are all hype and no delivery.
    Here's a fact for both. People that make broad, generalising statements about other people agreeing with them are usually wrong about those other people. 

We are where we are today because that is what the majority wanted.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited July 2017
    Hatefull said:
    What was the point of your post?  Half the time independent devs and EA games that are all hype and don't deliver are one and the same, so your post doesn't even present a counter argument so much as some completely bizarre side-derail that has nothing to do with the topic and points any of the previous posters were talking about.
    There are many EA games that don't get completed no matter if its a indie developer or a established developer. Best option is to not make a purchase of Arcfall until release. We encourage that as we want to ensure that the community we build is happy with what they have paid for as we our self's are players in other games and have also been burned by it. As we state on the Steam front page, absolutely only purchase if you are willing to support the game at its current stage, if not put it on your wish list and wait and see and give us a chance.
    ManWithNoTanRemyVorender

www.neojac.com
    www.arcfall.com

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    Tiamat64 said:
    Hatefull said:
    What was the point of your post?  Half the time independent devs and EA games that are all hype and don't deliver are one and the same, so your post doesn't even present a counter argument so much as some completely bizarre side-derail that has nothing to do with the topic and points any of the previous posters were talking about.
    It doesn't make sense to treat any and all EA games the same. If you're tired of buying them: Stop buying them. That's fair enough. But who comes into this topic and starts ranting off on how EA games are evil? It's like I'm listening to religious fanatics. All it takes is to slightly mention Early Access and BAM. Just stay the hell away from it.
    OzmodanManWithNoTan
  • ManWithNoTanManWithNoTan Member UncommonPosts: 96
    hmm - I might have to try this one out. 
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556

Neojac said:

The only thing that's similar to Albion I think is might be the top down view and the style of the environment to a point. We use the same technology to produce our environments that Albion does namely Unity and some assets for building environments but that's about it. We have higher resolution textures than theirs and our characters has a higher poly count as we are not producing our game for mobile but for pc platform. We also don't have any instance zoning unlike with Albion where you have to travel through a loading screen every 10 min , ours is one open world. Arcfall has allot more in common with games like Ultima Online where we use a similar skill progression system and combat system to theirs. Arcfall has been compared to Old School RuneScape. Our company is also developing Neos Land which another team is working on currently. Arcfall originally was made as a demo test game for our own engine we have been developing for many years now and it was so much fun to play we decided to launch it as a game. The design of Arcfall is way easier than Neos Land thus it has come out before Neos Land. Do note though Neos Land was started before Shards Online or now Legends Of Aria. Neos Land is also a full 3d view and more along the line of a survival MMO, although we have kept its development very quite for a while now as we have been doing major changes to its design and more information will be released on that in the next few months. Hope that helps clear up a bit of information.

Sorry to say this but something about this game and your responses both here and on Steam don't sit right with me. Too many perfect answers and saying everything people want to hear throws up red flags when it comes to game development but that's just my opinion. Can we get some extra info on this game like how big are the team's working on your two games in development? If Neos was being worked on before Shards then how long has it been in development? The loyal players you claim to have where are they because the Neos Land forums have almost no posts? Does your company have a physical office or are you like the ship of heroes guys who all work from home? Have any of the developers in your teams worked on any other games? If so which ones? Heck, what is the country this game is from?

Taking a quick glance at both the Arcfall and Neos Land sites (both with very nice artwork)makes me think that Neos Land got no attention so you moved onto another project with better gfx that looks like another game that is popular and just happens to be releasing next week.
    @Neojac I hope you're still checking these comments, cause I have a bit of a problem.

I can't seem to create an account for your official forum: http://www.arcfall.com/index.php/forum/general-questions-discusions

I've tried several times, but it keeps telling me that my name is wrong (what the?) my username is wrong, my password is wrong and I don't think it liked my email either :(

I just thought I should let you know. I'll try again in a day or so, cause I can see that the site is new, so I'm just hoping this is a teething problem :)
    Hmm send me a email to info @ neojac.com and ill have a look to see if your account is created, we haven't had any problems thus far with people registering on the forums.

www.neojac.com
    www.arcfall.com

It's ok Neojac. I just tried to register again and this time it let me :)

So now I'm an official member of the forum. Heaven help you all :D
  • paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    Thanks for all the valuable Info Neojac.

I don't mind some PVP but it is nice to know people are coming up with options that are not so black and white as the old days. The Karma system sounds interesting.

I will watch from the sidelines for now, but I wish you luck in your development.

I miss the days of knocking down trees and making furniture from the wood, even if I was the only one to ever use it. Mining and making tools from ore. Or just simply farming and cooking. If "Stardew Valley" can be a hit with those simple game hooks, there is no reason a MMO can't do it as well.

Just gotta keep the rest of the systems from making that style of play un-enjoyable. (Rampant farmer griefing is not cool.)

If you can offer me a world like Ultima Online, but better, I'll gladly toss some dollars your way.

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.