Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BDO - What do you do?

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Phry said:
    OK, thanks guys.  I don't mind getting jumped occasionally, just so it's not a constant interruption.  I'm dealing with a hand injury, so I need to be kind of immobile and not mash too many buttons.  Is there a class that might work well for my needs?  I have read that the PvE fighting is pretty easy, which, if true, is probably a good thing for me right now.

Wizard or Witch. Put Fireball in quick-slot #1, Explosion in #2, Lightning in #3

Mana Drain in #4, and your heals in #5 and #6.

Your rotation will be 1, 2, 3, right-mouse or 4 (if not on cooldown), repeat.

Dagger Stab is a great skill for PVE.

Once you get to level 56, you won't use any of those skills again, chances are you won't even have any skill points invested in them, both Wizard and Witch fight very differently than you are indicating, although it would probably work reasonably well at low level, but at that level the game isn't designed to be all that challenging, its all about learning how to play the game.
    For Wizard, for example, one of your most damaging abilities is a wall of water, but you cannot stay in one place as either a Wizard or a Witch, with every attack you have to move immediately, and that involves using the evasive movement, throwing in cataclysms, hellfires, Chilling Waves, Destruction Orbs, Water Spheres/aq bombs and aqua jail when you can, and in PVP your going to need to use slow and knot effectively, and if your wondering about hotkeying those, don't bother you'll just end up slowing yourself down and its not as effective as actually using those combo's directly, as for Dagger Stab though :D

So wait, do you have to move a lot in world PvE, or not?  I'm hearing different things from different people, I think.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Phry said:
    OK, thanks guys.  I don't mind getting jumped occasionally, just so it's not a constant interruption.  I'm dealing with a hand injury, so I need to be kind of immobile and not mash too many buttons.  Is there a class that might work well for my needs?  I have read that the PvE fighting is pretty easy, which, if true, is probably a good thing for me right now.

Wizard or Witch. Put Fireball in quick-slot #1, Explosion in #2, Lightning in #3

Mana Drain in #4, and your heals in #5 and #6.

Your rotation will be 1, 2, 3, right-mouse or 4 (if not on cooldown), repeat.

Dagger Stab is a great skill for PVE.

Once you get to level 56, you won't use any of those skills again, chances are you won't even have any skill points invested in them, both Wizard and Witch fight very differently than you are indicating, although it would probably work reasonably well at low level, but at that level the game isn't designed to be all that challenging, its all about learning how to play the game.
    For Wizard, for example, one of your most damaging abilities is a wall of water, but you cannot stay in one place as either a Wizard or a Witch, with every attack you have to move immediately, and that involves using the evasive movement, throwing in cataclysms, hellfires, Chilling Waves, Destruction Orbs, Water Spheres/aq bombs and aqua jail when you can, and in PVP your going to need to use slow and knot effectively, and if your wondering about hotkeying those, don't bother you'll just end up slowing yourself down and its not as effective as actually using those combo's directly, as for Dagger Stab though :D

So wait, do you have to move a lot in world PvE, or not?  I'm hearing different things from different people, I think.
    It depends on the class, but for Witch and Wizard, once they hit awakening, yes, you have to move, you have to keep moving to prevent taking damage as much as anything. It will make sense once you hit 56, though the Witch does get a handy block in the form of a wall of earth that can be put up to block damage from one direction, handy for those attacks you really can't avoid by evading. Its not as 'mobile' as for instance the ranger Pre-56 where bouncing around with explosive evasion or whatever its called, is a very effective attack, i haven't played Ranger Post 56 however as afaik it switches to being a melee class. :/
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Allrighty.  There's no real need to grind mobs in the tougher areas, if it's too difficult for me?  Also, why is it only $10 on Steam for the basic game?  Is there a monthly sub?  If so, that's actually a bonus to me.

Yes there is a also a Monthly Subscribtion which is totally optional.
    You get extra Inventory Slot and Weight, you can dye your Armor for Free, and stuff like that.
    The positive thing is that you can buy the Subscription on the AH, it works same way as EVE Plex.

edited July 2017
    karmath said:
    I never gave BDO a chance and thought I just might.  What's the point of the game?  Is it just a generic themepark where you grind to 50 and then raid?  I don't like PvP.  Is it non-consensual?  Thanks!
    No, you grind to max lvl, then aoe grind mobs for .01% chance drops, spend 5 minutes doing your crafting before the game tells you cant do anymore and spend money on the cash shop.
    WTF are you talking about.
    That's Archeage.
    BDO is nothing like it.
    Only Gathering Flowers, and Amity uses Energy, apart for that you can do whatever you like 24/7.
    And unless you are heavily into Alchemy you won't need to gather flowers, while Amity is not something you do often as it can be tedious.

Energy in BDO has never been an issue, you rarelly run out of it unless you waste it on the Night Vendors or decide to invest in Nodes, which is totally optional, in fact sometimes you are forced to invest in Nodes once the Energy Bar is full.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Not once did I see anyone talking about any communication between players.

MMO ?

holdenhamlet
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    edited July 2017

MMO ?

Pve is largely solo or small group friendly only. Guilds and groups largely exist for pvp reasons. I suppose one of it's strengths (while leveling at least) is that it plays like a real RPG more than most mmos manage. In some respects it's better at being an Elder Scrolls game than ESO is.

Of course it's an mmo but people are describing it for what it is ... not what it's not.
    Post edited by Tamanous on
    ste2000

You stay sassy!

Tamanous said:

Pve is largely solo or small group friendly only. Guilds and groups largely exist for pvp reasons. I suppose one of it's strengths (while leveling at least) is that it plays like a real RPG more than most mmos manage. In some respects it's better at being an Elder Scrolls game than ESO is.

Of course it's an mmo but people are describing it for what it is ... not what it's not.
    That's a good description of BDO.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    edited July 2017
    Tamanous said:

MMO ?

It lacks interesting quests to be an Elder Scrolls game. That is really not the part you want to compare with ESO. PVE in BDO is very shallow compared to story driven games like ESO and SWTOR. BDO progression is mostly grinding mobs.
    MrMelGibson
    I never gave BDO a chance and thought I just might.  What's the point of the game?  Is it just a generic themepark where you grind to 50 and then raid?  I don't like PvP.  Is it non-consensual?  Thanks!
    If you don't like PVP, then there is maybe the trade system that you could enjoy. And the world looks very nice.

PVE in general though, is quite shallow compared to other MMO's. PVE combat is also kind of ironic. Combat is awesome and can be executed with great skill, but the irony is, that for most PVE it is not needed at all. But for PVP its very good. Quests apart from main story are very shallow.
    Phry said:
    karmath said:
    No, you grind to max lvl, then aoe grind mobs for .01% chance drops, spend 5 minutes doing your crafting before the game tells you cant do anymore and spend money on the cash shop.
    I think your talking about a different game there Karmath, firstly, crafting is done by your slaves and it is all about how skilled they are in regards to how long it takes to make something, not only that but the amount of things they can make is limited by the resources you possess to make the thing. When it comes to processing materials, that doesn't take energy at all, so you can do that 24/7 if you really want to, the only thing that takes energy, is gathering skills, and that can take hours to use up. Same with cooking, doesn't use energy up, so go ahead and make 50,000 beers a day if you have the mats, the only real way of using up energy quickly is to invest that energy in a node, and its not something you even have to do, but congrats on making a misleading statement based on 0 evidence.
    I think that he was trying to say that there is not much meat to the PVE side of the game. In which I agree and is what the OP asked about.
    edited July 2017
    Tamanous said:

It lacks interesting quests to be an Elder Scrolls game. That is really not the part you want to compare with ESO. PVE in BDO is very shallow compared to story driven games like ESO and SWTOR. BDO progression is mostly grinding mobs.
    Really... interesting Quests are the least important part of the Elder Scroll IP.
    ESO got it partially wrong because they tried to be too much like Dragon Age rather than TES, focusing too much on the Story.
    The single player TES series success is due to its exploration and the freedom do what you feel like, it almost feels like a Sandbox game.
    So when ESO came out and it felt more like a linear RPG rather than a Sandbox, I was deeply disappointed.
    Story has never been the strong point of TES, it was always about freedom.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Tamanous said:

MMO ?

I've never liked story driven mmos or RPGS. I prefer open exploration ones and not being stuck to a script. BDO is a time sink for me. I don't plan on playing it long unless I get into the pvp later. 

The only story I ever liked was the Agent story arc in Swtor. After that is was just skipping every cut scene to grind levels to get to raids and pvp. It's tedious and I'd rather read a book.

It's just individual tastes and as for BDO, it us it's own beast and really not like the others so hard to compare.

You stay sassy!

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited July 2017
    Tamanous said:
    Tamanous said:

MMO ?

I've never liked story driven mmos or RPGS. I prefer open exploration ones and not being stuck to a script.

I totally agree.

Recore said:
    Tamanous said:
    Tamanous said:

MMO ?

I've never liked story driven mmos or RPGS. I prefer open exploration ones and not being stuck to a script.

I totally agree.

It is just that the OP seems like someone who wants that out of PVE. BDO is about trade or about getting ready for endgame PVP. On PVE side, it lacks quests, story, group content. Even the combat, which can be awesome, is not really necessary to learn in depth in PVE.
    MrMelGibson
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    edited July 2017
    Recore said:
    Tamanous said:
    Tamanous said:

MMO ?

I totally agree.

It is just that the OP seems like someone who wants that out of PVE. BDO is about trade or about getting ready for endgame PVP. On PVE side, it lacks quests, story, group content. Even the combat, which can be awesome, is not really necessary to learn in depth in PVE.

I totally agree with the group content. That is my only real complaint about the game. 

As for story and quest Black Desert has plenty. Now you may not like it but that does not mean that is does not have them.  There are quest everywhere you go in Black Desert. 

Black Desert also has a story based main quest line if you CHOOSE to do it.

People want story thrown in their face with cut scenes instead of actually just taking the time to read and listen to the npcs. The story is there.

As for me I read those little pop up boxes on screen that give you some story about the places you go and the mobs and npcs you meet.

I even read the story dialog on the loading screen with the world map.

I can not stand forced questing themepark games like ESO, Final Fantasy XIV and Star Wars the old republic. Those games to me have no PVE if all I am doing is running around by my self doing fed ex quest. I thought that is what we were trying to get away from in mmos.  If you are looking for the next wow clone Black Desert is not it. 

Give me a world, I will make my own story. ;)

• MFingYETIMFingYETI Member CommonPosts: 4
    ANyone play DK? I have a friend she is a streamer and needs help with the class. I am a zerker, so am not much help
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited August 2017
    OP , if you have a hand Injury , i would say avoid BDO altogether , on the other hand tho ..

The PVE is so ridiculously easy that you may manage it , I played to lvl 52 and never died once , Never even got close to dying, I think that , with the proper guidance Helen Keller could of manged the PVE in BDO
  • RhyaukRhyauk Member UncommonPosts: 16
    edited August 2017
    I don't PvP in BDO, it is toxic and the gear grind requires more time (and frustration) than I care to invest for my entertainment time.  I like the PVE content and play whatever interests me that day, trading, cruising the ocean for fish and whale hunting, exploring, cooking, alchemy, Magoria runs for underwater harvesting, and desert runs (for some reason I like the Fogan and Sulfur Mines mobs).  Sometimes I will group with a friend and rarely a random player to grind a spot for fun strictly, gear grinding is not entertaining to me in this game.  All-in-all I try to avoid the "got to get to max whatever" in this game, that is where it gets cancerous.  Oh and I never, ever, ever pay attention to world/server chat :).  Guild chats and PMs only.

I had to flush out BDO lore on the interwebs to help me become a bit more immersed or feel a better attachment to the world I spend my gaming time in.  The lore of BDO is interesting enough yet like most Asian MMOs the lack of communicating that lore, storytelling, is lackluster.  IMO, Asian games are horrible at presenting their games' stories to the western world.  Understandably most people just whiz past most of the story text as you don't want to read a damn novel in a game or at least I don't and voice acting along with the animations for that storytelling adds cost.  Although I need the lore to feel more connected to the game- why the hell am I fighting these mobs, why am I pvp'ing these guys, and why is this damn loli NPC that loves bar-b-q everywhere I go.  If it is just for saying I won, or our guild holds the most resources, etc...I get  bored and would rather play a MOBA or FPS to get that fix, way more entertaining than those activities in BDO.

But if you are interested in some of the BDO lore here are a few links below, helped me understand the PVE part of this game a bit better.  A shame most Asian game makers don't understand the value for nurturing and growing an IP through storytelling can help better captivate a western audience.  PA did a great job laying the basics for a good story but it was never flushed out in an entertaining way in the game.  So at one time in early development they actually were on the right track IMO.

BDO Lore
    http://www.blackdesertroleplayers.com/lore

Thomas Soren BDO Lore, YouTube

...oh, and I do my best to deforest the entire world to get logs!  Cheers!

Post edited by Rhyauk on
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Bitch about how terrible the karma system is.  Get upset when I think about all the lies from the dev team...great combat, past that its a joke.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Grinding mobs

Life skills

That's literally the entire game.  It's a pretty shallow experience, despite it being pretty and having home very involved systems.
  • KelarleeKelarlee Member UncommonPosts: 25
    AFK fishing and trying to buy good stuff from auction. No more interesting things cant hold me in this game :D
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    You dont have to do PvP if you dont want to.  Once you have enough XP to hit level 50 you can just skip the level 50 quest and you will not level that character up anymore.  You can still do everything else in the game but you will not be attacked or participate in PvP.

PvP starts at level 50 and is on a character basis so you can level one toon up past 50 to get in some PvP and keep one below 50 to do exploration/farming and other stuff.  I was really into catching and breeding horses for a while, it was quite fun.
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited August 2017
    Talonsin said:
    You dont have to do PvP if you dont want to.  Once you have enough XP to hit level 50 you can just skip the level 50 quest and you will not level that character up anymore.  You can still do everything else in the game but you will not be attacked or participate in PvP.

PvP starts at level 50 and is on a character basis so you can level one toon up past 50 to get in some PvP and keep one below 50 to do exploration/farming and other stuff.  I was really into catching and breeding horses for a while, it was quite fun.
    Is there a significant amount of people still playing the game who do that?  I know there was when the game first started, but I imagine by now most would have quit the game or levelled beyond 50 by now because pre-level 50 content with no new content ever (because all new content is beyond level 50) can only stay interesting for so long.
    Kyleran
  • RhyaukRhyauk Member UncommonPosts: 16
    edited August 2017
    Tiamat64 said:
    Talonsin said:

Is there a significant amount of people still playing the game who do that?  I know there was when the game first started, but I imagine by now most would have quit the game or levelled beyond 50 by now because pre-level 50 content with no new content ever (because all new content is beyond level 50) can only stay interesting for so long.

"Significant" is relative, are there millions of players lifeskill'n in BDO?- NO.  PA and KaKao don't have the mindset to scale a game that big.  But yes still many active players chopping trees, skinning sheep, carving pork from wild hogs and smashing rocks.  It is a pretty diverse playerbase which is why there are clashes between the PvP oriented players and the PVE/Lifeskill'ers.  BDO has a pretty passionate playerbase with the offical forums lighting up over PvP issues, resources, and the like (excluding the trolls).  But still quite a few people doing different things in BDO.  I've noticed more guides, tools and videos have been published out on the wild webs regarding lifeskill leveling and how to make in-game silvers from lifeskills.  Somethinglovely.net and Dulfy's site are some of my "go-to" guides/references.

There are many that just AFK fish and grind mobs, quite a few trade, horse training has increased with the announcement around T8 and dream horses and I do run into quite a few people on my gathering or trading trips all the way out to Valencia.  Lifeskill guilds are still active offering gathering and fishing buffs, especially with the recent guild rewards system.
    Post edited by Rhyauk on
  • mottomotto Member UncommonPosts: 17

Horse Hunter ^^ Gathering for sometimes and enhanced items for fun ^^

wonderful world