Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daybreak Games: Bring back Vanguard

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
edited July 2017 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
No, I'm not trying to throw a shocker for attention, this is real. 

Look, if anything at all it would bring back the many nostalgia players at the MINIMUM.  That's the Minimum !.... It would bring way more than that ! 

This would a shocker since it's been years.  And a shock like this is what is needed.  It wouldn't be a threat to Everquest 2, the game is on life support anyway.

In order for this to work.... No cash shop, but $14.95 a month. 

Here is a major fact that no one EVER realized: 

- SOE did the most poorest attempt to advertise ever for an mmo when it was re-released.

- Thousands on top of thousands cycled in and out of the game after re-release, everyone's number one complaint was low population. YET, NO ONE EVER PLAYED AT THE SAME TIME !.......This was a major blunder on SOE's part.  There was never a rally to get players at the same time.

- Now is the time because it's been years.

A full rally is what's needed to fill at least two servers to play the game as intended !!!!...... And this never happened.  Way more will come afterwords..........Remember, NO cash shop, or it wouldn't work.

LucienRenesacredcow4MrMelGibsonGdemamiArclan

Comments

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    YES!!! Bring it back.

I'll start playing it...

...until I realize all the same problems are there that caused me to stop playing the first time.

Nostalgia glasses are a very powerful tool, indeed.
    [Deleted User]Joseph_KerrThebeastttHatefullLucienReneWraithoneMrMelGibson

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    YES!!! Bring it back.

I'll start playing it...

...until I realize all the same problems are there that caused me to stop playing the first time.

You will over look that when you see the servers packed solid :)
    DistopiaGdemami
    YES!!! Bring it back.

I'll start playing it...

Um...nope, not really.

Population has never been a key factor in my decision to play a game. If it was, I'd be playing WoW.
    bartoni33giffy689WraithoneThunder073MrMelGibson

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited July 2017
    Im in , played till it closed  ,we have had this discussion before here , Would be great and they could add a cosmetic Cash Shop (people love that stuff ) without effecting gameplay , And with al the different races and areas it could quite a deep and varied CAsh Shop to help the game ..

There is an EMU that is running but needs some work , so its seems feasible , DBG aquired its rights with there purchase ... Ya think they would throw up 1 server to see the community reception .

Hatefull
  • kjempffkjempff Member RarePosts: 1,759
    edited July 2017
    Vanguard were not profitable to run anymore, so I don't see why they would bring it back up. However, it would give them much virtual respect, if they released the project as open source or similar to the public and I bet fans would find a way to make it happen. I know there might be legal issues with assets and other technicalities, but still if there is a will there is a way.

Is "virtual respect" worth anything to Daybreak in form of goodwill and attention ? Possibly, the "legalization" of project 1999 did not go unnoticed.

There is a project similar to p1999 that is free with optional donations which so far is keeping the servers running (staff are volunteers and of course unpaid) and I bet Vanguard could work like that too. No need for dubious cash shop model or even subscription. As for the amount of players, I wouldn't expect over 1k simultaneous players and probably much less, but that is plenty to keep a server alive. And if it is free then you will get players coming and going all the time, some of which will donate.
    Post edited by kjempff on
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    No, never, it will never come back. The EMU server has an average population of 5 people, no kidding. There is no proper audience for this game anymore, just a few connaiseurs.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Hariken
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

DMKano said:
    Never going to happen - due to technical issues on the operations side on what it takes to run the servers and support the code.

It's a mess that even staff who supported VG back in the day would never want to relive again.
    Same Exact thing was said about AC2 , then 9 years later we got an official server ..
    LucienRene
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I liked vanguard but it had several flaws and imo some bad systems.So i am all for a sub fee but i no longer want that game because i want to see gaming improve on it's mistakes or what i call poor design choices.
    I am not even talking about bugs because i only had a few problems and it never bothers me that much if eventually bugs are fixed.It was like everyday i played there was something that irked me as just being wrong in the design and frustrated me.I feel the same way about EQ2 another game  i spent years playing and it is part fo the same problems i see in Wow,FFXIV and several other top mmos they are designed with little depth in systems,just the basics.

I am not going to write an essay explaining how i like to see every system done,i just know what works best for a game's immersion and realism and is fair/equal for ALL players.I will however chime in one a very big problem in mmorpg's and that is botting/cheating.In Vanguardf in the very first week i was already frustrated because i was working my ass off in crafting whiel some cheats were just buying from rmt all the rares and owning the top end of the sales and making tons of gold before anyone else with less effort.I would not want to see a repeat of that again,i would quit instantly.I remember in EQ2 watching bot crafters and that frustrated me as well,so SOE and brad,they never seem to care or get a handle on cheating,something he had better get a grip on with Pantheon.
    Arclan

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Nobody cares about VG with Pantheon coming up, we're all hoping it'll be what VG should have been in the first place.
    YukmarcLucienRenecraftseekerGdemami
    Nobody cares about VG with Pantheon coming up, we're all hoping it'll be what VG should have been in the first place.
    Pretty obviuous from this thread and others of the same spirit over the past 2 years .. you are wrong ... And Pantheon will not be ready for a couple years imo
  • TheelyTheely Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Daybreak can barely keep EQ2 running so I don't have much hope in their abilities to even boot up Vanguard.
    LucienRene
    Theely said:
    Daybreak can barely keep EQ2 running so I don't have much hope in their abilities to even boot up Vanguard.
    So trying to understand this comment .. Do you mean technically they cant keep EQ2 running?
  • MadCoderOneMadCoderOne Member UncommonPosts: 220
    make EQ or EQOA for modern consoles
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    YES!!! Bring it back.

I'll start playing it...

Nothing against you man. but if the servers were packed it would have never shut down to begin with.
    HarikenForgrimmWraithoneMrMelGibsonCrazKanuk
  • TheelyTheely Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Scorchien said:
    Theely said:
    So trying to understand this comment .. Do you mean technically they cant keep EQ2 running?
    EQ2 has periods of consistent crashing when zoning accompanied by the inability to log in. The inability to log in can be bypassed by skipping the launcher but that doesn't help the crashing when zoning issue.

The game has also lost players in droves in the past few years as seen by the very few servers most which have a paltry number of players. 
    Kyleran
    YES!!! Bring it back.

I'll start playing it...

Nothing against you man. but if the servers were packed it would have never shut down to begin with.
    Altho at the end the pop was thin ,I think that with the interest in Pantheon and other Old School MMO games like (Project Gorgon ) ex. , I would think that they could fill a server(or 2) very easily , from the get go , retention would depend on there approach,direction, and dedication to some resources to Vanguard... Actually now would be a good time to strike if they could manage it ..

They are hiring 50 postions right now , so things are looking up for DBG i would assume
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I'm one of VG's biggest haters but they might as well bring it back. They have nothing better to do than overlap EQ progression servers these days. They can't handle VG much worse than Sigil or SoE. 
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    No, I'm not trying to throw a shocker for attention, this is real. 

Look, if anything at all it would bring back the many nostalgia players at the MINIMUM.  That's the Minimum !.... It would bring way more than that ! 

This would a shocker since it's been years.  And a shock like this is what is needed.  It wouldn't be a threat to Everquest 2, the game is on life support anyway.

In order for this to work.... No cash shop, but $14.95 a month. 

Here is a major fact that no one EVER realized: 

- SOE did the most poorest attempt to advertise ever for an mmo when it was re-released.

- Thousands on top of thousands cycled in and out of the game after re-release, everyone's number one complaint was low population. YET, NO ONE EVER PLAYED AT THE SAME TIME !.......This was a major blunder on SOE's part.  There was never a rally to get players at the same time.

- Now is the time because it's been years.

A full rally is what's needed to fill at least two servers to play the game as intended !!!!...... And this never happened.  Way more will come afterwords..........Remember, NO cash shop, or it wouldn't work.

Everyone realized that SOE did not advertise the game, SOE wanted it to just go away.

Yes, thousands did cycle through. Not hundreds of thousands, why? next point.

The low population was NOT the chief or #1 complaint. Broken buggy gameplay was the number 1 complaint. By far. That is also the symptom that kept numbers low.

I am al for VG coming back, with a serious bug hunt done before server live. But being honest you are way off base on your post. I loved VG but the bugs were by far the worst part. Lack of content was another issue.

VG could benefit from a serious development team. Keep the drunks away and let someone that can make it the game it should have been, usher in a new iteration. 

As much as I would like to see this happen, I very seriously doubt it will. Much like SWG, it is dead and not coming back.
    StoneRoses

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    DMKano said:
    Never going to happen - due to technical issues on the operations side on what it takes to run the servers and support the code.

It's a mess that even staff who supported VG back in the day would never want to relive again.
    Yet there is an Emulator running so it must not be that bad. Again your 'insider information' is smelling like...the south end of a northbound bull.

Wizardry said:
    I liked vanguard but it had several flaws and imo some bad systems.
    I find myself agreeing with you on this point. I always felt like there was something broken (which there was) and that the systems...just didn't flow. I can't describe it better than that. But yeah, I agree with you.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    The biggest note worthy thing Deybreak Games has done is cancel EQNext and Landmark while taking everyones money, wtf makes you think they could do this even if they wanted to?

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    Nilden said:
    The biggest note worthy thing Deybreak Games has done is cancel EQNext and Landmark while taking everyones money, wtf makes you think they could do this even if they wanted to?
    SoE took your money and sold out in the middle of a failing project. Daybreak was the voice of reason.
    craftseeker
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    YES!!! Bring it back.

I'll start playing it...

Nostalgia glasses may be quite powerful, but the shit options we have today changes everything... What people like you don't realize is that you do not share the same opinion as everyone. 
    postlarval
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Scorchien said:
    YES!!! Bring it back.

I'll start playing it...

Altho at the end the pop was thin ,I think that with the interest in Pantheon and other Old School MMO games like (Project Gorgon ) ex. , I would think that they could fill a server(or 2) very easily , from the get go , retention would depend on there approach,direction, and dedication to some resources to Vanguard... Actually now would be a good time to strike if they could manage it ..

They are hiring 50 postions right now , so things are looking up for DBG i would assume
    From a business perspective it would be a bad move. 50 hires for a new project will net more gains than resurrecting something that would cost more in licensing and fees than scratch. 

While there's an interest, there isn't a profit motive.
    [Deleted User]MrMelGibson
    YES!!! Bring it back.

I'll start playing it...

Nostalgia glasses may be quite powerful, but the shit options we have today changes everything... What people like you don't realize is that you do not share the same opinion as everyone. 
    Sean, is that you?

Wizardry said:
    I liked vanguard but it had several flaws and imo some bad systems.
    Sloppy seconds are never a good idea.

Like that girlfriend you broke up with and then ran into a couple of years later. You get that thought, "Hmmm, maybe we could give it a second go." but then you remember what a pain in the ass it was the first time around and you slap yourself in the head just for thinking about it.

Knowing Daybreak, they would probably just put it out with not so much as a bug fix. No thanks.
    MrMelGibsonKyleran