Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2018 Overall Production Roadmap (updated 19th January)

Comments

• VikingirVikingir Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before ... but

You may've noticed that they talk about "stretch goal"s in three places (at least) in the following releases in Schedule Report, and tried to locate them in the campaign Stretch Goals? Well, I wondered about that anyway and used hours to try and find them ... to no avail. I asked around if others knew, I searched the forums, but came up with nothing. So eventually I contacted CIG in frustration and asked them to please specify, in future updates of Schedule Report, exacly which stretch goals they meant because that'd make it much easier for us.

They replied that these "stretch goals" weren't campaign stretch goals at all, but internal stretch goals for the developers. Nice to know ...!
    gervaise1Octagon7711
    Best regards,
    Viking
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Vikingir said:

They replied that these "stretch goals" weren't campaign stretch goals at all, but internal stretch goals for the developers. Nice to know ...!
    Yes, "stretch goal" means that developers aren't certain if they get something ready for this patch, or only for the patch afterwards, and plan for both possibilities. It gives them more flexibility when things take different amount of time than originally estimated.

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited July 2017
    Kefo said:
    MaxBacon said:
    The Alpha 3.0 Production Schedule got updated:
    https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Diffchecker: https://www.diffchecker.com/l8LexSi6

"We crossed a really big internal milestone deadline this week. While the playthrough went really well, we identified a handful of bugs that needed to be addressed. Our next Milestone is next week, so we’re pulling the team together to try and knock out as much bugfixing and polish as we can to be able to see how the overall experience is coming together. Although some tasks do come in late in the Evocati window, we may start testing before they are fully complete to get a jump on some of the bigger feature stress testing."

Completed this past week:

• Surface Outposts Lightning (Content - Green & 30th in Graph)

• Inhabited Delerict Ship Sites (Content)

• Pickup and Carry (Gameplay)

• Insurance (Gameplay)

• Cargo (Gameplay)

• KIOSK Support (Gameplay)

• Engine Trails and Contrails (Graphics)

• Asteroid Physics (Graphics)

• Solar System Mission System v1 "Mission Broker" (Backend)

Updated Deadlines:
    • The Schedule page now displays colors, everything that you see Orange was one task with its deadline changed, so saves the work in listing every individual entry from the diff checker.

Resuming last week:
    - 9 Completed Tasks
    - 20 Delayed Tasks
    Here's the million dollar question. Did CIG take into account the 4th of July in their schedules or should we expect to see just about everything delayed again?
    If only their main studios were in Europe...
    Oh wait...  :D
    Odeezee
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited July 2017
    Vikingir said:
    Not sure if this has been mentioned before ... but

You may've noticed that they talk about "stretch goal"s in three places (at least) in the following releases in Schedule Report, and tried to locate them in the campaign Stretch Goals? Well, I wondered about that anyway and used hours to try and find them ... to no avail. I asked around if others knew, I searched the forums, but came up with nothing. So eventually I contacted CIG in frustration and asked them to please specify, in future updates of Schedule Report, exacly which stretch goals they meant because that'd make it much easier for us.

Good info. Somewhat confusing for people "outside" looking in (since the term also refers to Kickstarter stretch goals) but, on reflection, it makes sense since this is essentially internal progress reporting.
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    Well, it's probable that this was communicated in channels I don't follow (RSI Chat, Happy Hour, Townhall, Facebook, Twitter ...) but it was nowhere to be found when I searched the RSI forums and on Google anyway. So not only outsiders are confused, I was very much confused too!  :D Maybe @Vrika or @gervaise1 remember where they read/heard about it?
    Best regards,
    Viking
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    Yeah, there were 3 Stretch Goals for 3.0, that is the stuff that while ongoing isn't guaranteed for the release milestone.

Networking bind / unbind > moved to 3.1.

Mobiglas Overhaul > no longer stretch goal and part of 3.0.

Delamar / Levski > continues being a stretch goal for 3.0.

@Vikingir yeah the schedule page itself is not clarifying that, but there were stretch goals as well in 2.6, I think 2 got finished in 2.6.1 and 2.6.2 (Mega-Map was one).
    Vikingir
    Vikingir said:
    Well, it's probable that this was communicated in channels I don't follow (RSI Chat, Happy Hour, Townhall, Facebook, Twitter ...) but it was nowhere to be found when I searched the RSI forums and on Google anyway. So not only outsiders are confused, I was very much confused too!  :D Maybe @Vrika or @gervaise1 remember where they read/heard about it?
    I don't remember it being mentioned anywhere, but it was more obvious earlier in when they had stretch goals that wouldn't have made any sense as crowdfunding stretch goals.

MaxBacon said:

[Snip]

Resuming last week:
    - 9 Completed Tasks
    - 20 Delayed Tasks
    Total tasks finished:

Persistent Universe Content: 5 out of 8
    Gameplay: 18 out of 23
    Core Tech: 2 out of 4
    UI: 7 out of 16
    AI: 1 out of 2
    Graphics: 7 out of 8
    Backend: 3 out of 3, all done!
    Network: 2 out of 3
    Ships & Weapons: 9 out of 10. Last task is waiting for UI support

Total: 54 out of 77, or 70% of tasks done
    Babuinix

Vrika said:

Total:
    54 out of 77, or 70% of tasks done
    Yeah, UI have been facing the biggest delays, I think they are doing something shiny with the Starmap seeing how resources have been moved to it pasts weeks and they haven't shown a single bit of it yet.

With several tasks now looking into priority bug-fixing, the testing phases are finally in sight; will now depend on the tasks that are dependencies for testing to start.
  • BalmongBalmong Member UncommonPosts: 170
    Vrika said:
    MaxBacon said:

[Snip]

Resuming last week:
    - 9 Completed Tasks
    - 20 Delayed Tasks
    Total tasks finished:

Say what you will about the game, but that is verifiable progress right there.
    Kefo
    Balmong said:
    Vrika said:
    MaxBacon said:

[Snip]

Resuming last week:
    - 9 Completed Tasks
    - 20 Delayed Tasks
    Total tasks finished:

No, it's not verifiable. We don't have any way to verify it ourselves, nor verify it from third party sources that would be reliable enough.

The progress should become verifiable once RSI releases it into a test without NDA, but it's not verifiable yet.
    Kefo

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Vrika said:
    Balmong said:
    Vrika said:
    MaxBacon said:

[Snip]

Resuming last week:
    - 9 Completed Tasks
    - 20 Delayed Tasks
    Total tasks finished:

No, it's not verifiable. We don't have any way to verify it ourselves, nor verify it from third party sources that would be reliable enough.

The progress should become verifiable once RSI releases it into a test without NDA, but it's not verifiable yet.
    Also, doesn't include reworks which they seem to like to do a lot of.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

edited July 2017
    Vrika said:

The development updates, ATV, do show features and parts of 3.0 what is verifiable progress on said things before they are released.

The ATV's have also been showing what we won't see once the update releases, like the solar system tool of the last one, the IS 2.0 or the netcode.
    Vikingir
    Updated the main OP with the last 3.0 and Global schedules, missed it.
    edited July 2017
    Schedule updated  7th July. More stuff finished (Hint System, Physics Serialization, Doors and Airlocks, Item 2.0 Ship Conversion - Part 2 at first glance). Summary:

"This week, we held our second internal pre-Evocati milestone of Star Citizen Alpha 3.0. As you can see, the main features are done, which have allowed us to use our daily Directors Review to get a comprehensive understanding of how these features are working together. Production have collated the various feedback and reactions to these reviews, we’ve decided that there are optimization and user experience improvements we’d like to complete before releasing to the Evocati."

Evocati window: 20th July to 3rd August
    Post edited by gervaise1 on
    Vikingir
    edited July 2017

Diffchecker: https://www.diffchecker.com/QACo2U76

"This week, we held our second internal pre-Evocati milestone of Star Citizen Alpha 3.0. As you can see, the main features are done, which have allowed us to use our daily Directors Review to get a comprehensive understanding of how these features are working together. Production have collated the various feedback and reactions to these reviews, we’ve decided that there are optimization and user experience improvements we’d like to complete before releasing to the Evocati."

Updated Estimated Release Range:
    Evocati: 20th July to 3rd August
    PTU: 7th August to 18th August
    Live: 25th August

Completed this past week:

• Surface Outposts Lightning

• Item 2.0 Ship Conversion Part 2

• Hint System

• Doors and Airlocks

• Physics Serialization

Updated Deadlines:
    • The Schedule page now displays colors, everything that you see Orange was one task with its deadline changed, so saves the work in listing every individual entry from the diff checker.

Resuming last week:
    - 5 Completed Tasks
    - 11 Delayed Tasks

Should be 18 scheduled items missing completion, of the total of 77.
    VikingirVrika
    edited July 2017
    The UI team need to stop saying "Delayed due to working on this weeks Milestone Review" and take this into account when providing revised dates. There are going to be more reviews in the run up to release!

All Network tasks are complete this week though; the paint is drying!
    MaxBaconVikingir
    gervaise1 said:

All Network tasks are complete this week though; the paint is drying!
    It's going to be interesting to see how that affect gameplay. I hope the delta patching system also will be ready for 3.0.
    Best regards,
    Viking
    edited July 2017
    Estimated release date on 14.4: 29.6
       Estimated time until release on 14.4: 76 days

Estimated release date on 7.7: 21.8 - 25.8
       Estimated time until release on 7.7: 45 - 49 days

Completed on 7.7: 36% - 41% of schedule

Projected release date assuming constant rate of delays: 6.11 - 7.12

I don't really believe it'll end up being delayed that much, I'm just calculating using the same formula as I did two previous times. Still, it has soon been 3 months since CIG released their first schedule report for 3.0.0, and during that time their estimated release date has only came 1 month closer.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Im amazed at how much money and effort so many players are putting into an alpha.....When/if the game actually launches, anyone that starts at that point is going to be 5 years behind everyone else who was let in so early..>This is why I dont like ridiculously early EAs...Even if they wipe everyone clean thes players have such a huge knowledge advantage theres really no point in us noobs ever trying it.
    Odeezee
  • ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476
    Im amazed at how much money and effort so many players are putting into an alpha.....When/if the game actually launches, anyone that starts at that point is going to be 5 years behind everyone else who was let in so early..>This is why I dont like ridiculously early EAs...Even if they wipe everyone clean thes players have such a huge knowledge advantage theres really no point in us noobs ever trying it.

Are you talking about Eve here, sounds like it.
    " Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
    @Theocritus - You may be surpriced. Star Citizen isn't comparable with an early EA. Competition with other players will be very different in Star Citizen than most other games.
    gervaise1
    Best regards,
    Viking

Most people have - probably - put very little money into SC. It depends on the exact number of backers of course but the last time someone did an estimate it was between $70 and $80.

Its more complicated now that people can buy a pledge to SC or SQ42 or SC+SQ42 (which is what the original pledge packages were) but that would be on a par with the full price of many new games and also other crowd funded games like CU which does the same sort of thing except you buy a class/character slot rather than a ship/character slot. And remember the more "whales" attributed to the game means a lot of people paying less than that. 

Now whether the game is worth it? I suspect the release of 3.0 will tell us a lot. And whilst its not happening as quickly as they hoped - it is clearly happening. 
  • Turrican187Turrican187 Member UncommonPosts: 787
    edited July 2017
    Vikingir said:
    @Theocritus - You may be surpriced. Star Citizen isn't comparable with an early EA. Competition with other players will be very different in Star Citizen than most other games.
    SC is already different than other games in many ways ...
    Kefo

When you have cake, it is not the cake that creates the most magnificent of experiences, but it is the emotions attached to it.
    The cake is a lie.

• DakeruDakeru Member EpicPosts: 3,802
    Vikingir said:
    You may be surpriced. Star Citizen isn't comparable with an early EA. Competition with other players will be very different in Star Citizen than most other games.
    The standard catch phrase they also use for:
    CoE
    SoL
    SotA
    Vrika
    Harbinger of Fools