Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RPG + Books = LitRPG (SPONSORED) - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageRPG + Books = LitRPG (SPONSORED) - MMORPG.com

LitRPG is all about taking the elements you know and love from video games and spinning them into narratives. It's the perfect genre for those who already love games but are looking for a meatier story experience to occupy their time. There are some fantastic examples of LitRPG that are already floating around in the wild. From multi-media franchises to classic books, these works help to give a broader view of a developing genre.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    a couple of these that are really well done , imo ...

Naborian Saga ....http://store.steampowered.com/app/581340/Narborion_Saga/

Joe Devres Lone Wolf ....http://store.steampowered.com/app/279440/Joe_Devers_Lone_Wolf_HD_Remastered/
    LitRPGdoandroidzdream
  • elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426
    Way of the Shaman is a really good series, it is translated up to the fifth book and there should be two more coming, and from the originally in English ones - Awaken Online series is great.
    LitRPGdoandroidzdream
  • LitRPGLitRPG Member UncommonPosts: 8

elveone said:

Way of the Shaman is a really good series, it is translated up to the fifth book and there should be two more coming, and from the originally in English ones - Awaken Online series is great.

Very much agreed. Here's the LitRPG book section at the forum. You can lurk if you don't want to join. We try to keep it updated as much as possible. Sounds like you'd fit right in. Thanks for the comment, and have a great weekend!

Scorchien said:

a couple of these that are really well done , imo ...

Naborian Saga ....http://store.steampowered.com/app/581340/Narborion_Saga/

Joe Devres Lone Wolf ....http://store.steampowered.com/app/279440/Joe_Devers_Lone_Wolf_HD_Remastered/

I'm personally working on a LitRPG titled "Roguelike"... as the name suggests, it'll be about those great ASCII dungeon crawlers of days gone by as well as today!

https://litrpgforum.com/threads/wip-roguelike-tower-of-gates-standalone-adventure.26/

https://litrpgreads.com/blog/history-roguelikes
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    My question is ... how is this any different from what is commonly termed Fan Fiction (or FanFic) in the publishing industry?   Is there really a need for another term?
    LitRPGdoandroidzdream

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

edited July 2017

Mendel said:

My question is ... how is this any different from what is commonly termed Fan Fiction (or FanFic) in the publishing industry?   Is there really a need for another term?

Well, fan fiction can be written for any genre. Also, some (not all) LitRPG is edited and polished for publication. Granted, we're talking about self-publishing, but still. ;)

Seriously, though, some of it is probably RPG fan-fic or game fan-fic, but I know I and a lot of other authors have created their own game worlds and game mechanics for the books. That is, we're not really copying any existing game/movie/etc. Thus, it's a subgenre that combines science fiction and fantasy - cyberpunk is a closely related subgenre...

Make more sense?

Great question! Keep 'em coming. I'm by no means an expert, but this topic is near and dear to my heart.
  • elveoneelveone Member RarePosts: 426
    edited July 2017

Mendel said:

Fanfic would be writing in somebody else's world. LitRPGs usually describe non-existent games with their own mechanics. Most of them are VR MMORPGs with a direct nerve-implant that is still years from developing in reality. Others are a portal to another world with RPG mechanics through a game. Most of the books describe the life outside of the game as well as inside it. Basically the LitRPG genre would be a subset of fantasy or cyberpunk depending on the exact book and not at all a fanfic.

Another great series that I would consider a LitRPG would be Spells, Sword and Stealth by Drew Hayes and I did not think of this one the first time around because it is more of a fantasy with RPG tie-in story than a typical LitRPG where a person experiences a game world.

P.S. LitRPG, thanks for the invite, might consider it but my tastes run more along the urban fantasy or straight fantasy fiction. There are several litrpgs that I like but I find most of the ones I tried are lacking something for me.
    LitRPG

P.S. LitRPG, thanks for the invite, might consider it but my tastes run more along the urban fantasy or straight fantasy fiction. There are several litrpgs that I like but I find most of the ones I tried are lacking something for me.

Not a problem. I'm coming to the genre after having read Guardians of the Flame by Joel Rosenberg and many other great "litrpg" before the genre had a name. It's exciting because a lot of established writers are moving into the genre. Competition will raise the quality, I'm sure. By Christmas when Jumanji comes out, there's going to be a lot more LitRPG books, IMHO. Over at the forum, we talk about gamer/geek topics outside of LitRPG too. It's your call, of course.

Have a great weekend!

SBFord
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    I've enjoyed the odd LitRPG book since long before the genre had a name, Tad William's Otherland series was probably the start for me about 20 years ago and enjoyed Ready Player One quite a bit. What those had in common for me was that the real world narrative part was just as interesting and compelling as the game world part... maybe even more so.

I'm not sure I would enjoy fantasy mixed liked that. I prefer that to be fully immersive without RL counterpart distractions.

So, what other scifi is out there of a caliber similar to those? 
    LitRPGdoandroidzdream
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

edited July 2017

Iselin said:

I've enjoyed the odd LitRPG book since long before the genre had a name, Tad William's Otherland series was probably the start for me about 20 years ago and enjoyed Ready Player One quite a bit. What those had in common for me was that the real world narrative part was just as interesting and compelling as the game world part... maybe even more so.

I'm not sure I would enjoy fantasy mixed liked that. I prefer that to be fully immersive without RL counterpart distractions.

So, what other scifi is out there of a caliber similar to those? 

We have a few recommendations for those new to the genre here...

https://litrpgforum.com/threads/what-would-you-recomnend-for-a-new-reader.173/

While some might not agree with us, we feel Otherland falls under LitRPG...

https://litrpgreads.com/litrpg-books/otherland-city-golden-shadow

As well as Killobytes by Piers Anthony, etc. In fact, through a comment here, I stumbled on this very early 1985 LitRPG. I'm planning an interview with the author...

https://litrpgforum.com/threads/litrpg-short-story-from-1985.705/

You might start with Awaken Online by Travis Bagwell...
    ApollosThorne
  • GrimulaGrimula Member UncommonPosts: 644
    edited July 2017
    RPG + book equals Choose your own adventure books ....Remember those from the 80's and 90's ??

Chooose Your Own Adventure

is that what you are referring to ?? what does the LiT part stand for ???
    LitRPGHariken

Grimula said:

RPG + book equals Choose your own adventure books ....Remember those from the 80's and 90's ??

is that what you are referring to ??

what does the LiT part stand for ???

Literary / Literature...I didn't coin the term. Three Russian writers came up with it.

I'd say the Fighting Fantasy books are closer...

https://litrpgreads.com/blog/lone-wolf-fighting-fantasy-books-litrpg
    ApollosThorne
  • barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618
    edited July 2017
    If I understand what they posted on the site correctly, it's a kind of meta thing where the adventure (or whatever) isn't from the viewpoint of the character, but rather that of the player running the character.

A more recent example of that might be "Ready Player One". (Loved the book, can't wait for the movie)

Some older examples, if I remember them correctly, would be "Dream Park", and even the far more recent "Snow Crash".

Just had to add this, I'm currently reading an online comic called "Not A Villain" that is definitely of that category.
    LitRPGApollosThorne

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• barasawabarasawa Member UncommonPosts: 618

LitRPG said:

Grimula said:

Literary / Literature...I didn't coin the term. Three Russian writers came up with it.

It's been a long time since I've gone through any Lone Wolf books, but I don't think they qualify, as they are about the character, not a player in a game. Unless you mean the Lone Wolf chose your own adventure type books, which again don't qualify, because they are a story heavy game you are playing.

Lost my mind, now trying to lose yours...

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    barasawa said:
    If I understand what they posted on the site correctly, it's a kind of meta thing where the adventure (or whatever) isn't from the viewpoint of the character, but rather that of the player running the character.

A more recent example of that might be "Ready Player One". (Loved the book, can't wait for the movie)

Some older examples, if I remember them correctly, would be "Dream Park", and even the far more recent "Snow Crash".

Just had to add this, I'm currently reading an online comic called "Not A Villain" that is definitely of that category.
    Snow Crash is great and I'm a big fan of Neal Stephenson.

One of his latest, Reamde, also mixes in some small amount of MMORPG game play with the real life adventure of the protagonists. Although the focus squarely outside the game, things within the game play a vital role in the story. The main characters in the book actually are the owner and other developers of the MMORPG.
    LitRPGdoandroidzdream
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

barasawa said:

LitRPG said:

Grimula said:

It's been a long time since I've gone through any Lone Wolf books, but I don't think they qualify, as they are about the character, not a player in a game. Unless you mean the Lone Wolf chose your own adventure type books, which again don't qualify, because they are a story heavy game you are playing.

They're also interactive whereas most LitRPG is not interactive. ;)

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    hey I wrote one of these in 1991/92, it was my senior HS honors English project.  My best friend and I each wrote 250 pages, and our goal was to turn it into an actual RPG, I wonder if I still had it

we created our own world, character classes, encounters, dungeons and more
    LitRPG
  • sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    Royal Road Legends http://royalroadl.com/ More English-language LitRPG and VRMMO fic than you can find in one place anywhere else. (But if you can prove me wrong, I'll be pleased to have another site to find reading material at.)
    LitRPGApollosThorne
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • DaftDaft Member UncommonPosts: 170
    "Play to live" is a good series as well. Way of
    The shaman is my fav so far.
    LitRPGdoandroidzdream
  • doandroidzdreamdoandroidzdream Member CommonPosts: 1
    I've been super obsessed with LitRPG lately and am a part of the forum mentioned. Hope you guys come check it out ^.^ - Felicity out
    LitRPG
  • FlyinDutchman87FlyinDutchman87 Member UncommonPosts: 336
    I've gotta say Kill 10 Rats is my favorite....

http://royalroadl.com/fiction/4321/kill-10-rats

*cough* Shameless Plug *cough*
    LitRPGdoandroidzdream
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680

Grimula said:

I was thinking the same thing. They just updated the term for the kiddies today. I find this all really funny.
    LitRPGdoandroidzdream
  • ApollosThorneApollosThorne Member CommonPosts: 2
    Sweet! The LitRPG genre is getting some love!

I started gaming all the way back with Dragon Warrior on NES. I got into MMOs with NexiusTK back in the day and have played 50 + MMOs since. Since WoW has come out, every MMO has basically felt the same to me. Still miss Shadowbane though. I don't play as much anymore, but I'm hopeful Ashes of Creation or Chronicles of Elyria might push things in a new direction.

If you have found yourself bored of the same old grind, try out a litrpg or two. I'd recommend one of the highly rated ones on amazon. RRL has some good ones, but a lot of the authors that started out there that got popular have moved on and published.

Not convinced? Dozens of LitRPGs have hundreds of thousands, if not millions of views over on RRL. May of those authors are now making a living doing nothing but writing about playing a MMO. Why would anyone bother? Immersion. If you want to feel like you are really living a gaming world, growing more powerful, etc. nothing compares to a novel, not even the best MMO. If you're bored of the same old thing, read!

This isn't to bash MMOs. Honestly, I think there will be a new game that finds a new formula that recaptures the magic for me, but that doesn't mean I will stop reading LitRPGs. I will just have to find the time for both.
    LitRPG
  • ApollosThorneApollosThorne Member CommonPosts: 2

Hariken said:

Grimula said:

I was thinking the same thing. They just updated the term for the kiddies today. I find this all really funny.

It's fairly similar to that, but there are a few big distinctions.

One, you don't get to choose your own adventure. Not to say you don't pick up the book because you like the premise, but that is the same for every genre.

Two, they are not written in second person. You are not the character.

Three, you have not say in where the plot goes.

To more accurately to describe it, you could say its closer to portal fiction... like The Chronicles of Narnia. This is not really arcuate for all of them, but at least a decent example.
    LitRPG
  • jeffsprouljeffsproul Member CommonPosts: 1
    edited July 2017
    As an author, LitRPG has been amazing to write in. Combining what I do (Writing) and what I love, (Gaming) it's pretty much the perfect genre for me to write, which helped me push the first Superhero LitRPG,
    Sigil Online: Paragons - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01NBHA0KZ
    I've written other stuff, and I like to push the boundaries of genres, but as far as LitRPG goes, this one hits the mark. There is another great LitRPG with superheroes out there, Super Sales on Super Heroes, which I recommend checking out as well.
    LitRPG