SWL - favorite builds so far?

IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 10,258
I started out as a Magus using elemental and chaos magic mostly because I favor playing mages in RPGs, but I really wasn't that fond of Chaos which could be a bit of problem drawing aggro for a DPS character, not to mention the random effects it procs... I'm too much of a control freak with my characters to enjoy randomized bonuses. But I did like elemental magic a lot so...

I tried an Assassin next which is a mixture of blades and elemental magic and I absolutely love it. Like the Magus it also has a mix of ranged and close DPS except the blades are not aggro generators and they constantly proc passive self heals on top of having an active heal you can get very early.

The "builders" for both blades and elemental magic do good single target DPS which can then be spent on AOE abilities.

I'm only level 14 so I could change to other weapon combos later on but for low levels, blades + elementalism work great.

How about you guys? What weapon combo are you liking so far?
You say you never compromise
With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
He's not selling any alibis
As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
And say "Do you want to make a deal?"
«1

Comments

  • HarikenHariken Brighton, MAMember RarePosts: 1,745
    I also chose Magus but i really like it so far. Made it to lvl 13 also. I do want to pickup blade though. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Chicago, ILMember EpicPosts: 6,183
    Tried a few but ended up with Magus.  It was the build that I did best with on TSW.  Good range and good melee.  
    Agent_Joseph

    "Change is the only constant."


  • Gymrat313Gymrat313 Lincoln Park, MIMember UncommonPosts: 145
    I did Ravager, really digging fists and will continue too if I ever get back in game :P

    image
  • TamanousTamanous Edmonton, ABMember RarePosts: 2,593
    How you liking the new format of the game?

    You stay sassy!

  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 10,258
    Tamanous said:
    How you liking the new format of the game?
    I haven't played it in over 4 years so I don't remember the old format much. I see what they're trying to do with the more simplified weapon system and the added unique mechanics for each. IMO, some work better and seem more finely tuned than others.

    The zones still have other random people in them and if you didn't know that the population cap for each is much smaller than it used to be you wouldn't really notice it... except in a good way right now since zones in MMOs tend to be over-crowded at release.

    Story and quests are still the same great, M-rated stories from before. The graphics do seem a bit more dated than what I remember... especially the hair. It's why my characters all have shaved heads :)
    KyleranMadFrenchie
    You say you never compromise
    With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
    He's not selling any alibis
    As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
    And say "Do you want to make a deal?"
  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 17,097
    Tamanous said:
    How you liking the new format of the game?

    I tried warlock - and hated it.

    Also tried punisher which is similar to what I played at launch - it felt worse.

    It's been years since I played the original and I liked the original better - not a fan of class system, I prefered the open skill system a lot more.

    Just my 2c  - your milage may vary.

  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 10,258
    DMKano said:

    It's been years since I played the original and I liked the original better - not a fan of class system, I prefered the open skill system a lot more.


    It's still open although now it's hidden beneath that initial layer of class. You can still unlock and use any weapon combo you like although passives are now weapon-specific - that's the biggest change.

    If you played it before and link your old account, all weapons are unlocked automatically as soon as you get to Agartha and "claim" your linked unlocks and items. You can totally redo your two weapon combo at that point.
    DMKanoMrMelGibson
    You say you never compromise
    With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
    He's not selling any alibis
    As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
    And say "Do you want to make a deal?"
  • DMKanoDMKano Gamercentral, AKMember LegendaryPosts: 17,097
    edited June 26
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:

    It's been years since I played the original and I liked the original better - not a fan of class system, I prefered the open skill system a lot more.


    It's still open although now it's hidden beneath that initial layer of class. You can still unlock and use any weapon combo you like although passives are now weapon-specific - that's the biggest change.

    If you played it before and link your old account, all weapons are unlocked automatically as soon as you get to Agartha and "claim" your linked unlocks and items. You can totally redo your two weapon combo at that point.

    I didn't know that at the time - would have helped. 

    Why didn't they make this more obvious? 
    Post edited by DMKano on
  • RhoklawRhoklaw Ft. Bliss, TXMember EpicPosts: 5,259
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:

    It's been years since I played the original and I liked the original better - not a fan of class system, I prefered the open skill system a lot more.


    It's still open although now it's hidden beneath that initial layer of class. You can still unlock and use any weapon combo you like although passives are now weapon-specific - that's the biggest change.

    If you played it before and link your old account, all weapons are unlocked automatically as soon as you get to Agartha and "claim" your linked unlocks and items. You can totally redo your two weapon combo at that point.

    I didn't know that at the time - would have helped. 

    Why didn't they make this more obvious? 
    Because if we never had anything to complain about, forums like this one wouldn't exist.
    Xarko

  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson USAMember EpicPosts: 2,314
    DMKano said:
    Iselin said:
    DMKano said:

    It's been years since I played the original and I liked the original better - not a fan of class system, I prefered the open skill system a lot more.


    It's still open although now it's hidden beneath that initial layer of class. You can still unlock and use any weapon combo you like although passives are now weapon-specific - that's the biggest change.

    If you played it before and link your old account, all weapons are unlocked automatically as soon as you get to Agartha and "claim" your linked unlocks and items. You can totally redo your two weapon combo at that point.

    I didn't know that at the time - would have helped. 

    Why didn't they make this more obvious? 
    I agree about not being clear on this.  I was lucky to have a nice player in game help me out and instruct me on this.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson USAMember EpicPosts: 2,314
    Iselin said:
    I started out as a Magus using elemental and chaos magic mostly because I favor playing mages in RPGs, but I really wasn't that fond of Chaos which could be a bit of problem drawing aggro for a DPS character, not to mention the random effects it procs... I'm too much of a control freak with my characters to enjoy randomized bonuses. But I did like elemental magic a lot so...

    I tried an Assassin next which is a mixture of blades and elemental magic and I absolutely love it. Like the Magus it also has a mix of ranged and close DPS except the blades are not aggro generators and they constantly proc passive self heals on top of having an active heal you can get very early.

    The "builders" for both blades and elemental magic do good single target DPS which can then be spent on AOE abilities.

    I'm only level 14 so I could change to other weapon combos later on but for low levels, blades + elementalism work great.

    How about you guys? What weapon combo are you liking so far?
    I feel like chaos is made for tanking.  I didn't really understand why they put it in with magus.  I think elemental and blood would of made more sense.  

    I'm using hammer and chaos and it works really well imo.
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Dallas, TXMember RarePosts: 1,317
    Using the AR and Fish weapons. The grenade mechanic on the AR feels janky as hell right now though. Hope they make it better.
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus LondonMember RarePosts: 1,329
    I'm planning to go Shotgun/Elemental. Is that still a thing?
    Have you ever noticed that their stuff is shit and your shit is stuff?
  • IselinIselin Vancouver, BCMember LegendaryPosts: 10,258
    I'm planning to go Shotgun/Elemental. Is that still a thing?
    That's not one of the standard class combos so you'd have to make it yourself by starting with a class that uses either shotgun or elemental and then swapping the weapon you don't want for the one you do.

    You also have to be a bit careful when you train active skills because some of them only work if you're using that as your primary weapon. Most skills work either way but there are exceptions.  
    KyleranMrMelGibson
    You say you never compromise
    With the mystery tramp, but now you realize
    He's not selling any alibis
    As you stare into the vacuum of his eyes
    And say "Do you want to make a deal?"
  • Redfeather75Redfeather75 Guelph, ONMember UncommonPosts: 224
    I got a cool assault rifle that auto-cooks grenades so I really focused on AR builds. Right now I use elementalism and assault rifle. Using an offensive build that focuses on interrupts, mobility and damage.
    MrMelGibson
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson USAMember EpicPosts: 2,314
    While I like chaos/Hammer for tanking.  After playing for a while, my favorite is blade/elemental (Assassin).  My favorite class has always been a Spellblade and/or Battlemage.  Doesn't hurt that I find it the most fun so far.
  • wandericawanderica clayton, NCMember UncommonPosts: 282
    edited July 6
    I went Ravager, but hated fist for some reason.  I ended up using total Blood Magic with no secondary, and have done OK.  I too wish I'd known about unlocking the other weapons before I got too deep.  The hit rating earlier on would have helped a ton.  I guess with the new system there's not so much a "wrong" way to do things, but more of a less optimal way, so I was thinking of going all magic and adding elemental as a secondary to blood magic.  I haven't noticed a damage issue as much as I have a resource limitation due to not using a secondary, so I figure burninating things with elemental will help out there.  What do I know though?  I'm honestly a little lost as to the best combos.  The story is great though!  Didn't make it quite this far the first time I played years ago.
    Post edited by wanderica on


  • RenoakuRenoaku Member RarePosts: 2,402
    Right now just using hammer & Sword for now not sure if its the best or not, but I do wish they would update the GUI so that players could have multiple skill sets without having to change via text commands.
  • ThaneThane berlinMember RarePosts: 2,785
    for the record, since some of you sound like they wouldn't know the classes are STARTER classes.

    you can get and learn ALL weapons, still. the only thing you can't do is having 2 builders, the rest is STILL the same system.

    @topic: i like my fist / blood combo :)  neat builder (builder needs to be interesting enough imo, that's why i prefer using either fists or chaos), and blood let's me rip out the enemy's heart and adds a nice AE dot too. rest of my skills are fist bases, dämätsch!

    "I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

  • DragnelusDragnelus UtrechtMember RarePosts: 2,049
    Going with blood/ar or ar/blood for healing and solo.

    Just look at my AR looks, im lvl 22 atm, but that skin looks awesome imo:


    KyleranMrMelGibson




  • Redfeather75Redfeather75 Guelph, ONMember UncommonPosts: 224
    Switched since last I posted. I am using shotgun/ele now and it's really fun. Holy mother of interrupts batman. I really do enjoy the disruption aspect of combat. Only thing I don't have are purges, so now I am thinking of learning a new weapon again to expand my arsenal once more. XD
    MrMelGibson
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Chicago, ILMember EpicPosts: 6,183
    I'm now using just an elemental build that's working really well.  I have a sword as secondary but don't use it.  My actives and passives are all ele.  Got the build off a streamer on YT.  Much much better than what I was using before.
    MrMelGibson

    "Change is the only constant."


  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 14,997
    I'm now using just an elemental build that's working really well.  I have a sword as secondary but don't use it.  My actives and passives are all ele.  Got the build off a streamer on YT.  Much much better than what I was using before.
    What's the build and how does it work? I'm still elemental primary with chaos secondary. I'm unlocking shotgun next and plan on trying that out for a secondary. Chaos packs an okay punch though. Shotgun will give me a little more range and mobility.

    The artist or album content may be offensive or controversial.
    Avatar Artist: Howard Blake, Peter Auty (vocalist)
    Album: The Snowman
    Featured Tracks: Walking in the Air
  • ManestreamManestream PrestonMember UncommonPosts: 789
    Pistols Primary, Shotgun Secondary are mine right now.
    Leveling machinegun (but have all weapons unlocked).
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Chicago, ILMember EpicPosts: 6,183
    Torval said:
    I'm now using just an elemental build that's working really well.  I have a sword as secondary but don't use it.  My actives and passives are all ele.  Got the build off a streamer on YT.  Much much better than what I was using before.
    What's the build and how does it work? I'm still elemental primary with chaos secondary. I'm unlocking shotgun next and plan on trying that out for a secondary. Chaos packs an okay punch though. Shotgun will give me a little more range and mobility.

    @Torval

    "Change is the only constant."


Sign In or Register to comment.