Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3 - Rise of the Necromancer is Well Worth the Price of Admission - MMORPG.com

Comments

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I'm all for crying foul but considering all the free content they released I really don't get all the whining over a $15 necromancer. Especially since they released it with more free content simultaneously.

More animation & visuals go into one D3 class than all the PoE classes combined. Sometimes you do actually get what you pay for.
    SBFordMrMelGibsonNethKhadar
  • Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Being okay with this type of thing is why people call Blizz fans the Apple fans of the gaming world. They'll buy anything with their sticker on it.
    KalebGraysonGorweYumeTsukai
  • MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    I'm all for crying foul but considering all the free content they released I really don't get all the whining over a $15 necromancer. Especially since they released it with more free content simultaneously.

More animation & visuals go into one D3 class than all the PoE classes combined. Sometimes you do actually get what you pay for.
    If I'm looking for beautiful visuals and buttery smooth animations, isometric ARPGs aren't my go-to genre.
    SBFordsedatedkarma

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    I just can't understand the outrage. If you don't want it dont buy it, people have been begging for Necro for years, and Blizz figured 15$ is a fair price, they also throw in bank tabs, which are worth it as well.

I would gladly spend 30$ on this, I am having fun learning a new class and looking forward to season with the Necro on HC
    Phixion13waynejr2NethKhadar
  • genaknoscgenaknosc Member UncommonPosts: 112
    Myrdynn said:
    I just can't understand the outrage. If you don't want it dont buy it, people have been begging for Necro for years, and Blizz figured 15$ is a fair price, they also throw in bank tabs, which are worth it as well.

I would gladly spend 30$ on this, I am having fun learning a new class and looking forward to season with the Necro on HC
    Umm because that is what MMORPG.com is for? A place to complain and tell other strangers on the internet that what they like actually sucks.

The world would actually be a better place if this website was shut down.
    SBFordMadFrenchieMyrdynnsedatedkarmaTalahar
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

Pemmin said:

SBFord said:

exile01 said:

That engine looks fuking disgusting bad- and it runs like that too. All in one D3 is a waste of human braincapacity.

Like every game on the planet is a waste of time and brain capacity. Very few actually improve one's intellectual standing. 

ARPGs aren't built to be gorgeous. PoE isn't. Grim Dawn isn't. Titan Quest...well, that's closer. They aren't supposed to be Destiny for the most part. They are isometric games that emphasize game play over graphics.

Different strokes, I guess.

too be fair the isometric view was originally done to cut art assets costs.....isometric graphics dont need to be as nearly detailed as a more close up view.

that being said PoE and grim dawn are both basically indie games

and while you could say that D3s engine takes away from the atmosphere of the previous incarnations of the franchise..... the graphics aren't objectively bad and the engine runs really well on most systems.

the quality in D3 graphically is so far superior to GD or PoE

style is arguable
    NethKhadar
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    DMKano said:
    Wow so much passion in this thread.

I am enjoying it and it was totally worth the price.
    My wife bought and feels pretty much the same way. I just can't do that story again. Weird...we don't insult each other about our tastes we just let each other enjoy what we like.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• Phixion13Phixion13 Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Acti-Blizz really knows how to milk. Does anyone here realize the beta version went live and all the broken stuff people found was never fixed? I mean, multi page forum posts pointing out the flaws got ignored...
    NethKhadar
  • NyghthowlerNyghthowler Member UncommonPosts: 392
    I haven't played D3 in....almost 2 years... wow. I loved the Necro in D2, so was instantly excited when I heard it was being released. I didn't hesitate to pay the $15, and I definitely don't regret it. I'm having a blast blowing shit up and rampaging with my minions!
    SBFordMyrdynn
  • TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155

simmihi said:

Sure, I've bought it, must have it, but I'm 100 times more excited about Path of Exile 3.0. Seriously wondering how can the guys from GGG do so much in such short time and a giant like Blizzard can only come with this after 3 years since the expansion....

Because they don't care. Ppl will buy the Necro anyway, so, they will get their money, for no effort. Mission accomplished. Why would they work more?
    NethKhadar
  • CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257

SBFord said:

The Witcher is an anomaly compared to most game's DLC.

It looks like you're saying that this is an anomaly for you, because if you put this DLC with other examples from the article, then "$15 for the necro is a fair price" wouldn't be seen legit.

Witcher's $20 content litteraly destroys Necromancer's $15 content and in comparision necro looks like a bad joke.
  • XophXoph Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Why is SBFord white knighting the hell out of D3? The game is garbage, accept it.
    NevereverlandMyrdynnThanosxpNethKhadarDistopia
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited July 2017
    Cygi said:
    SBFord said:

It looks like you're saying that this is an anomaly for you, because if you put this DLC with other examples from the article, then "$15 for the necro is a fair price" wouldn't be seen legit.

Witcher's $20 content litteraly destroys Necromancer's $15 content and in comparision necro looks like a bad joke.
    That's actually not what I meant. The Witcher 3's DLC is unusual among all DLC in any game. Most are small packages of content that can be an added class or costumes or additional maps. Few, if any, games can measure up to what CD Projekt Red put out for Witcher 3. That was what was meant by the "anomaly" thing.

xDarkjoy said:
    Why is SBFord white knighting the hell out of D3? The game is garbage, accept it.
    *shrug* I'm not. It's a game I enjoy despite its flaws and the wish that Blizz would move the series to a new game. Obviously you don't care for the game but I would hardly take your rather combative statement to be "black knighting" the game simply due to that fact.
    sedatedkarmaNethKhadar

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    SBFord said:
    Cygi said:
    SBFord said:

That's actually not what I meant. The Witcher 3's DLC is unusual among all DLC in any game. Most are small packages of content that can be an added class or costumes or additional maps. Few, if any, games can measure up to what CD Projekt Red put out for Witcher 3. That was what was meant by the "anomaly" thing.

xDarkjoy said:
    *shrug* I'm not. It's a game I enjoy despite its flaws and the wish that Blizz would move the series to a new game. Obviously you don't care for the game but I would hardly take your rather combative statement to be "black knighting" the game simply due to that fact.
    Its well worth the 15$ ...

But why are we comparing a single player game DLC to a MULTI player game like D3 , Witcher 3 DLC is on par with other SIngle player games ..

15 for D3 current DLC is a fair price , particularly for those who enjoy the Necro class, they think its a Great deal ...
    SBFord[Deleted User]NethKhadar
  • CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257
    edited July 2017

Scorchien said:

SBFord said:

Cygi said:

SBFord said:

Its well worth the 15$ ...

But why are we comparing a single player game DLC to a MULTI player game like D3 , Witcher 3 DLC is on par with other SIngle player games ..

15 for D3 current DLC is a fair price , particularly for those who enjoy the Necro class, they think its a Great deal ...

Ooh, so Witcher 3 isn't gonna cut? I'm betting that if W3 DLC was garbage in content, then you will surely compare this with the necro. Now it's single player game, so we can't give bad PR to necro DLC with comparision. I'm changing my opinion then: SBFord didn't miss the W3 DLC because of obvious reasons - that's you're doing right now. OFFTOPIC: I'm asking for more friendly quoting system...
  • NevereverlandNevereverland Member UncommonPosts: 161
    After playing D2 for years, i gotta say D3 is just a casualistic children game. Look at blizzard's recent games; Hots: Casual dota/lol, Overwatch: Casual TF2/fps sth and D3 is just a casual, children version of D2. I guess won't be playing any blizzard games anymore  :/
    NethKhadar
  • MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    Nope. Still not buying a class.
  • BartDaCatBartDaCat Member UncommonPosts: 813
    edited July 2017
    I've spent more than this Necromancer update on two trips to my local coffee bar and the effects of those drinks wore off in a few hours. Honestly, in this day of overpriced, overrated Triple A titles AND the additional costs of their DLCs that people lose their minds over as they scramble to purchase them, complaining about $15 for what's basically DLC for another game doesn't even make sense.
    SBFord[Deleted User]
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Ahhh, the "Random Blizzard Thread" phenomenon. 

Where people that like a Blizzard product and don't mind spending lunch money on a well polished game or DLC are branded braindead, retarded,  white knighting and are called ' childish'  while people that bash on Blizzard products by insulting the other group, being too cheap to spend 15 bucks on anything and are horribly generalizing about just about everything are the 'mature'  people.

Insulting others doesn't make you cool and neither does hating on big companies, its just an edgy thing for angsty people to throw around. Get a grip, your opinion is just as average as is everybody else's .

Digging Necro btw, it has more production values than the whole of PoE combined. And don't get me wrong, I LOVE PoE.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

[Deleted User]SBFord
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• Geddon95405Geddon95405 Member UncommonPosts: 111
    yep necro is fun but I'm still doing the EXACT same stuff I've been doing for years now

grinded necro to max, let him use my mage's gear and hit a few rifts, got some new gear. Can only do rifts for so long before getting bored, as your dopamine generating gear drops gets fewer and fewer as your gear gets better and you need rarer drops to get any further progress.

bliz should change the gear system to NOT be full RNG. Let it continually put out improvements for you on a regular basis so you can just keep playing until you have a full set of primal ancient legendaries. Right now the chance to get a primal is 1 out of 100 ancient's and the ancients are about 1 out of 100 regular legendaries.

So you bust 100's of legendaries before getting a primal. Lots of time to get bored during those 100's. Lots of boring inventory management. LOTS of repetition. You get maybe up to 5 legendaries per 10-15 minute rift.
    GorweSBFord

Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women...

• KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    edited July 2017
    $15 for a class. Yeah, right...

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940
    They could at least have the decency to unlock additional character and storage slots for everyone for free, like many MMOs do when a new character class is released, instead of claiming it as a "feature" for this.

Im not sure if any ARPG out there has character slot limit? Apparently Path of Exile has it at 24, which is twice as much, despite being free, and it's structured more like an MMO. Diablo III is only always online because reasons. And even for Valve games you can create non-VAC servers. Blizzard didn't do something like that because of reasons.

Limiting your character slots at all, and keeping storage that small is because a) everything is online, and b) they can sell DLC like this for outrageous prices. If it would be only a new character class, many people would see it different. But it's not, it's a DLC with a new character class, more storage and new character slots. And new content! (Nope, that was a free patch that was released at the same time, but even many gaming websites didn't properly differentiate between those two).

Even Diablo II allowed 8 ladder characters, and that was in 2000. And it allowed unlimited "local" characters that you still could use to play in LAN and over Battle.net, just not ladder.

They dropped both LAN (though really not that important, still a nice to have) and the "local" character in favour of being able to sell this as a feature. Given that stash is shared (though certainly useful), it's also not that big - which Blizzard acknowledged and promptly also sell this as a feature.

Tl;dr: It might make a lot of fun, and it might even be worth it compared to e.g. spending €30 on 2 hours of cinema or so. But it *is* overpriced as hell, no matter what.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Anireth said:
    They could at least have the decency to unlock additional character and storage slots for everyone for free, like many MMOs do when a new character class is released, instead of claiming it as a "feature" for this.

Im not sure if any ARPG out there has character slot limit? Apparently Path of Exile has it at 24, which is twice as much, despite being free, and it's structured more like an MMO. Diablo III is only always online because reasons. And even for Valve games you can create non-VAC servers. Blizzard didn't do something like that because of reasons.

Limiting your character slots at all, and keeping storage that small is because a) everything is online, and b) they can sell DLC like this for outrageous prices. If it would be only a new character class, many people would see it different. But it's not, it's a DLC with a new character class, more storage and new character slots. And new content! (Nope, that was a free patch that was released at the same time, but even many gaming websites didn't properly differentiate between those two).

Even Diablo II allowed 8 ladder characters, and that was in 2000. And it allowed unlimited "local" characters that you still could use to play in LAN and over Battle.net, just not ladder.

They dropped both LAN (though really not that important, still a nice to have) and the "local" character in favour of being able to sell this as a feature. Given that stash is shared (though certainly useful), it's also not that big - which Blizzard acknowledged and promptly also sell this as a feature.

Tl;dr: It might make a lot of fun, and it might even be worth it compared to e.g. spending €30 on 2 hours of cinema or so. But it *is* overpriced as hell, no matter what.

Every game I have played you by the "expansion" and get the slots.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• EldurianEldurian Member EpicPosts: 2,736
    Diablo III was my first Diablo and barring some major changes to how the game works it will be my last. It's a game about progression but the only way to progress is by running through the same content over, and over, and over ad nauseam. 

Expansions can breath temporary life back into it. A new game could breath temporary life back into it. But it will still only be very fun on the first playthrough and much less so on the second playthrough.

Keeping a title like this interesting would mean new / fresh content on at least a weekly basis and some kind of content that doesn't depend on fresh scripted storylines all the time to stay fun. 

With so many titles on the market that can stay fun through many playthroughs via player interaction, procedural generation, etc. and a lot better single player story driven titles out there, I question why I would ever invest money in the Diablo series ever again.