Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diablo 3 - Rise of the Necromancer is Well Worth the Price of Admission - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageDiablo 3 - Rise of the Necromancer is Well Worth the Price of Admission - MMORPG.com

I'm going to get this out there right off the bat: I wish that Blizzard would start developing Diablo 4 or at least give us a new expansion. I love the series but it's time to move past Diablo 3. That said, Rise of the Necromancer is a lot of fun and it's made playing D3 fun again. To say that I haven't gotten my money's worth would be untrue and I've totally found that I've extracted $15 worth of fun already.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

[Deleted User]

Comments

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Ppiper said:
    I'm enjoying it but going through the same content, even after a year of not playing, is getting old.
    100% agree. As much as I've enjoyed the Necro, I hope it's the "last hurrah" before a new game or at least an expansion.
    [Deleted User]Life2vGinazHatefullMrMelGibsonAgent_JosephGorweAlomarKalebGrayson[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Sure, I've bought it, must have it, but I'm 100 times more excited about Path of Exile 3.0. Seriously wondering how can the guys from GGG do so much in such short time and a giant like Blizzard can only come with this after 3 years since the expansion....
    Life2vgearchin13JeroKaneNebilimcsc2004d_20MazovskiGorweAlomarThanosxpand 1 other.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I remember reading some complaints about the price. Most other games offer a DLC and class for that price.
    Life2vNethKhadar

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257

SBFord said:

Rise of the Necromancer is Well Worth the Price of Admission
    All this goes a long way to say that RotN is worth the money you pay into it.

I assume that you speak for yourself?

Because $15 it's not worth it for me, but for $7,5.
    Maximum.
    Life2vgearchin13NebilimalivenPhixion13MrMelGibsonMazovskiNethKhadar
  • KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    PoE expansion  looks gazillion times better. PoE = 6 new acts. D3 = 6 new sets.
    Life2vGorweThanosxp
    Cygi said:

SBFord said:

Well...yeah? I mean, it's one person's opinion. That's the beauty of free enterprise. If it's too much, don't buy it. If it's not, do. 
    IceAgePhixion13BillMurphyScorchiensedatedkarmaBartDaCat[Deleted User]dawnofcrow

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    edited July 2017

Cygi said:

SBFord said:

I assume that you speak for yourself?

Because $15 it's not worth it for me, but for $7,5.

Maximum.

Kinda goes without saying. Or are you the kind of person that needs everything spelled out?
    SBFordLife2vBartDaCat
    simmihi said:
    Sure, I've bought it, must have it, but I'm 100 times more excited about Path of Exile 3.0. Seriously wondering how can the guys from GGG do so much in such short time and a giant like Blizzard can only come with this after 3 years since the expansion....
    My guess is that GGG has one game they develop exclusively. Blizzard has a lot of games and Diablo is somewhere down on the lower end of the importance list. Their focus these days is on Overwatch. Everything else is much lesser priority.
    [Deleted User]MyrdynnunfilteredJW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I bought it.  Playing it reminded me a lot of the original game for some reason.  So well worth it for me.
    SBFordLeiHngWeiMrMelGibson[Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    edited July 2017
    That engine looks fuking disgusting bad- and it runs like that too. All in one D3 is a waste of human braincapacity. Today i met a guy that the only thing he ever played was WoW and he really thought WoW was the first MMO. Thats how braindead their community really is. No wonder they can ask for that price for necro, they could even asked for 100 usd as premium content- and their fans would digg it. Thats the world we live in now. Braindeads everywhere.
    NebilimMyrdynnKalebGraysonOzmodanNethKhadarYumeTsukai
    edited July 2017
    exile01 said:
    That engine looks fuking disgusting bad- and it runs like that too. All in one D3 is a waste of human braincapacity.
    Like every game on the planet is a waste of time and brain capacity. Very few actually improve one's intellectual standing. 

ARPGs aren't built to be gorgeous. PoE isn't. Grim Dawn isn't. Titan Quest...well, that's closer. They aren't supposed to be Destiny for the most part. They are isometric games that emphasize game play over graphics.

Different strokes, I guess.
    MyrdynnunfilteredJWMrMelGibsonXophsedatedkarmaBartDaCat[Deleted User]Ozmodan

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    Would have been kind of nice if they would have added a new ACT and used the Shrouded Moors area for new story content, but overall I am still having a good time and enjoying the game play with the Necromancer.
    SBFordMrMelGibson
  • ArthalonArthalon Member UncommonPosts: 1

SBFord said:

simmihi said:

My guess is that GGG has one game they develop exclusively. Blizzard has a lot of games and Diablo is somewhere down on the lower end of the importance list. Their focus these days is on Overwatch. Everything else is much lesser priority.

Blizzard has way more than one single development team. The have one for OW (with many videos about it), another one for WoW (the biggest and MOST important) one for HoTS, one for SC/Warcraft RTS games and one for Diablo. And, the Diablo team is being rebuilt with many job postings regarding the franchise popping out in their job lists. Diablo IV will come in a few years and hopefully, something good.

Diablo III is just giving the last few things and going away and probably forgotten forever. It is a fun but very repetitive game. They had HUGE potential and... truth be told, they did a few good things, but not polished enough and is missing much.

About the post... I don't think the Necro has a fair price. And that being said, I don't consider many DLCs a good example. If you want to take a good one, take the Withcher. A DLC/Expansion that gave you at least 20 hours of good story for 20$. Compared to that... the Necro is a Joke.

And don't take bad examplesto justify the price, take good ones and make a good critic. Conformism is destroying video games.
    Life2vLoganthirNethKhadar
    edited July 2017
    ARPGs are about loot hunting, most not over the long term. I do hope Blizz brings out another Diablo game or an MMO or "shared world RPG" like TSW in the future but I'm not holding my breath.

No kidding on the "more than one development team" thing! Who knew! :D

Given they have at least six games in development, I'm pretty sure that most of us knew that haha! What I meant was that their development model has shifted to smaller, leaner, faster teams developing games that are tailor-made from the ground up to be packed with microtransactions like Heroes of the Storm, Hearthstone and Overwatch. The old cash cows that are dependent on single box sales without microtransactions perse are on the outs and are of lesser importance overall. Putting Starcraft, Diablo and Warcraft more or less into maintenance mode or to figure out more ways to bring microtransactions into them is where they're at for now.

As I said earlier, it is MY opinion that $15 is a good price for the 10+ hours I put into leveling my Necro and playing in the new areas and trying out the new Challenge Rifts. The Witcher is an anomaly compared to most game's DLC. I don't think that putting Mario Kart 8, Fallout 4 and Persona 5, all HUGE hits for many, is "conformist" at all.
    [Deleted User]unfilteredJWElvoc[Deleted User]NethKhadar

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    played it quite a bit when i got it but after playing same maps over and over and same spam mindless killing i am completely bored of it forever.Adding new classes does absolutely nothing to improve the game,they are just cheap sales gimmicks.

they did give a bit of effort with that one idea,can't even remember what it is called been so long since i played.The idea where you could relinquish a gear item and then be able to use the ability from it as a weapon/gear/item buff.However that was again not enough because the core design still asks you to go out and repeat the same mindless spam on same maps over and over.
    At least if fights were slow and calculative,thinking i could find some enjoyment in the battles but the mobs were really just spam fodder.

BTW i never played D1 or D2 but figured i'd give D3 a try,can't say a complete waste as i did at least enjoy my first run through and when battles were not spammy but after seeing the core design of this and other arpg's like POE which i also played before D3,i won't consider anymore of these because they are not fun to me.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    SBFord said:
    ARPGs are about loot hunting, most not over the long term. I do hope Blizz brings out another Diablo game or an MMO or "shared world RPG" like TSW in the future but I'm not holding my breath.

No kidding on the "more than one development team" thing! Who knew! :D

Given they have at least six games in development, I'm pretty sure that most of us knew that haha! What I meant was that their development model has shifted to smaller, leaner, faster teams developing games that are tailor-made from the ground up to be packed with microtransactions like Heroes of the Storm, Hearthstone and Overwatch. The old cash cows that are dependent on single box sales without microtransactions perse are on the outs and are of lesser importance overall. Putting Starcraft, Diablo and Warcraft more or less into maintenance mode or to figure out more ways to bring microtransactions into them is where they're at for now.

As I said earlier, it is MY opinion that $15 is a good price for the 10+ hours I put into leveling my Necro and playing in the new areas and trying out the new Challenge Rifts. The Witcher is an anomaly compared to most game's DLC. I don't think that putting Mario Kart 8, Fallout 4 and Persona 5, all HUGE hits for many, is "conformist" at all.
    There is alot going on at Blizz right now , matter a fact the busiest that they have ever been ...Some very cool things in the works
    SBFord[Deleted User]
  • jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    15$ for a single class is criminal, honestly they should just release it for free and be thankful people still play the game.
    SBFordunfilteredJWMrMelGibsonTazdragoSoki123NethKhadarDistopia
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

15$ for a single class is criminal, honestly they should just release it for free and be thankful people still play the game.

Ppl are not forced to buy it, hence it is not criminal.
    SBFordHatefullMrMelGibsonBartDaCatYumeTsukai

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited July 2017
    Muke said:

Ppl are not forced to buy it, hence it is not criminal.
    So what about 15 for a single gram of smoke?  I mean, nobody's FORCING me to buy it...   >:)
    [Deleted User]

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    edited July 2017
    just imagien a mmorpg like wow done right in this gritty dark world.
    *sry for spelling*
    SBFordTyserieMrMelGibsonsedatedkarma[Deleted User]
    syltmacka said:
    just imagien a mmo done right in this gritty dark world.
    *sry for spelling*
    I WISH:pensive:

Of course, I have to say that with the amount of Diablo that's leaking into World of Warcraft, maybe it'll happen through conversion. :P
    HatefullMrMelGibson[Deleted User]

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    SBFord said:
    syltmacka said:
    *sry for spelling*

Of course, I have to say that with the amount of Diablo that's leaking into World of Warcraft, maybe it'll happen through conversion. :P
    they stated once that they whouldnt , blizzard that is. because of the dark setting ppl will appearntly turn sick and suicidal or something. was a long time ago i read it.
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    edited July 2017

SBFord said:

exile01 said:

That engine looks fuking disgusting bad- and it runs like that too. All in one D3 is a waste of human braincapacity.

Like every game on the planet is a waste of time and brain capacity. Very few actually improve one's intellectual standing. 

ARPGs aren't built to be gorgeous. PoE isn't. Grim Dawn isn't. Titan Quest...well, that's closer. They aren't supposed to be Destiny for the most part. They are isometric games that emphasize game play over graphics.

Different strokes, I guess.

too be fair the isometric view was originally done to cut art assets costs.....isometric graphics dont need to be as nearly detailed as a more close up view.

that being said PoE and grim dawn are both basically indie games

and while you could say that D3s engine takes away from the atmosphere of the previous incarnations of the franchise..... the graphics aren't objectively bad and the engine runs really well on most systems.
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623

SBFord said:

syltmacka said:

*sry for spelling*

fun fact the blizzard north version of diablo 3 was intended to be an mmo.
  • RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674
    Blizzard lost me when the D3 devs said the anniversary stuff would make fans lose their ****. It did make me lose my **** to how bad it was in my view if was suppose to be greatness. I won't pay for the necro who I am not really interested in but Blizzard pretty much lost me then and there. I can't say that I don't pay for DLC but that is like for one game a year at most.