Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Questions, just started Morrowind.

OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
Why so many quests that say you can't kill the guards?  I spent half my gold paying off the guards because everytime I get attacked in these areas my penalty goes up?  Just been avoiding quests such as this lately.

Why are boss fights so hard?  After 10 deaths I just gave up on Chodola, cost me the rest of my gold to repair.  No fun when you are consistently dead in 3 or 4 hits.  

I also find very little useful equipment too.  I find this game far more frustrating to play than fun.
guizica

Comments

• CorileannaCorileanna Member UncommonPosts: 94
    I thin kit gets better with difficulty, and the DLC, thieves guild helps with guards, can steal and what not i believe..

Also, later can craft powerful gear yourself, and loot seems pretty generous.. I would join a guild and ask for a group to  help with the bosses..
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    You're much better off not doing Vvardenfell as your first zone. There are starting islands for each alliance that will get you up to level 10-12 and will give you lots of armor of the Trainee that boosts your health, magicka and stamina - especially if you get 5 pieces of it which isn't hard to do with quest rewards and opening chests. Vvardenfell really isn't quite as noob friendly as those islands that are designed to be that way.

I can only really remember one quest in Vvardenfell where they told you not to kill the guards... I did anyway and there was no problem continuing after that.

If you have access to the Dark Brotherhood, it's worth doing the very quick introductory quest to it because the reward is the Blade of Woe. This is an ability that lets you one-shot guards if you sneak up behind them. As long as you're not seen by other NPCs or guards, that's a free kill that doesn't give you a bounty or heat.

As to difficulty fighting quest bosses, it's all in the builds. What abilities you use and which passives you have spent skill points on matter... a lot.
    [Deleted User]Octagon7711
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• SaunZSaunZ Member UncommonPosts: 472
    hang in there... you will learn it.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    Okay thing I don't get about ESO is if I go into a house and murder the people, then clean the blood before I leave the area, why would they arrest me, and how the heck do the guards know I murder someone, or stole items if it wasn't reported...

Talking Role-Play wise here it makes no sense.
    Iselin
    Renoaku said:
    Okay thing I don't get about ESO is if I go into a house and murder the people, then clean the blood before I leave the area, why would they arrest me, and how the heck do the guards know I murder someone, or stole items if it wasn't reported...

Talking Role-Play wise here it makes no sense.
    And guards seem to have a telepathy system: you can port to the other end of the continent and a guard there will know it too :)
    ConstantineMerusOzmodanStrizzy12Octagon7711[Deleted User]wingood
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I decided to give ESO another try with Morrowind. I got it on PS4 this time. Although D3 Necromancer is taking much of my time, which I also got on the console. 

Weird thing is I am enjoying both titles much more on PS4. Although D3-console version is a much better game, but also Morrowind. I think I expected a lot of things which ESO didn't even try to offer originally back then, but now I tried the game as it is, and turns out it is quite pleasant. 

Personal drama aside, I am too, finding the game rather difficult. Well, not Souls series difficult, but compared to any other MMORPG post EQ1 difficult. I remember I had no problem leveling upon launch (I think I did up to 35 or something). I don't even remember dying, maybe in dungeons a couple of times but while leveling through the story? Probably it happened so rare that my mind didn't even bother to register it. 

Now, even the supposedly overpowered Warden, I have to dodge, heal myself, run away, and die... a lot. 

Unlike OP, I kinda like it. Not because I am such a tough man in real life--surely I can beat all of ye nerds in a fist fight--but it was somehow nice to play a challenging MMORPG, especially the leveling part. I hope it won't get easier as I play, but harder. I'm not really looking for the end-game and want to take my time finishing Morrowind and the rest of the DLCs. 

So maybe if you don't consider it as another generic MMORPG that you just ride through the leveling content, the difficulty might be enjoyable. 
    Ozmodan
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    Yeah, I was not complaining about the number of deaths, I am fine with that, I guess I was just confused about the context of not killing guards.  I killed one and had the NPC yell at me for doing so.  Everytime you kill one your bounty goes up too.  I found 3 quests in Morrowind that did this.  When you are under a $1000 gold, 300+ gold fine is significant.  Guess I will go try the other areas.  I made level 14 yesterday though.

As to Boss fights, you can't get help as some of them are only doable solo.
  • PsycroatPsycroat Member UncommonPosts: 28

Personal drama aside, I am too, finding the game rather difficult. Well, not Souls series difficult, but compared to any other MMORPG post EQ1 difficult. I remember I had no problem leveling upon launch (I think I did up to 35 or something). I don't even remember dying, maybe in dungeons a couple of times but while leveling through the story? Probably it happened so rare that my mind didn't even bother to register it. 

Now, even the supposedly overpowered Warden, I have to dodge, heal myself, run away, and die... a lot.
    If you played at launch you would have been starting in zones that were of level. With the One Tamriel patch every zone in the game gets scaled to Champion Level 160. While you are also scaled there is a noticeable difference without all the additional skill points, gear upgrades and champion points. As you level, it will balance out.
    ConstantineMerus

~If you run, you'll only die tired~

• postlarvalpostlarval Member EpicPosts: 2,003
    The guards don't always know you've killed someone. I kill people in their homes all the time and never get flagged by the guards.

If another NPC sees you or your victim cries for help, you'll get flagged.

Take the beginning of the Dark Brotherhood quest from the DLC so you can use the Blade of Woe to assassinate NPCs. It's far better.

Iselin said:

And guards seem to have a telepathy system: you can port to the other end of the continent and a guard there will know it too :)
    Cell phones. All the guards have cell phones.

Ozmodan said:
    Yeah, I was not complaining about the number of deaths, I am fine with that, I guess I was just confused about the context of not killing guards.  I killed one and had the NPC yell at me for doing so.  Everytime you kill one your bounty goes up too.  I found 3 quests in Morrowind that did this.  When you are under a $1000 gold, 300+ gold fine is significant.  Guess I will go try the other areas.  I made level 14 yesterday though.

As to Boss fights, you can't get help as some of them are only doable solo.
    Other than The Thieve's Guild and Dark Brotherhood areas, Vvardenfell is the only zone in the game that has those trespassing quests... yet another reason not to start playing the game there when you're new and gold poor.

What class and weapons are you using? And are you trying to build a stamina or magicka focused character? I can give you some quick hints on being more viable when soloing if you tell me that. As someone with chronic altitis, I play low level builds without allocating champion points often.
    Octagon7711

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I'm running into similar problems, and it seems to be with Vvardenfell area.  Lots of things drop stuff, and there are thousands of things to loot, but all it does is fill up my inventory.  I can't craft enough to use up the materials.  I've got a 12th Dragonknight, and I'm not making enough money to deal with repairs.  The few items that have dropped haven't been worth 50s, and they focus on everything but what the character description says work best for the character type.  Playing on a PC isn't helping -- the control are made for a console and it really shows.  From what I can tell, the Steam sale only bothered to give me TO and Morrowind, so much for all the other DLC that I probably could use more.  The multi-part quest to save a councilor's daughter only rewarded me with 150 coin, which promptly went into repairs.  *sigh*

TES is rapidly becoming a very frustrating experience.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited July 2017
    Yep, if you catch heat you can just log off for awhile as the heat timer goes down even when logged out or on another character.  Plus there's a skill line that decreases your heat faster, gives you a 'guards let you go once' option, and a discount on your bounty (Thieves guild DLC).  Usually if I catch heat and still want to play I'll just port to a location away from cities and towns, like at anchors and grind there till my heat is zero, or port to a thieves killed entrance that's away from guards where you can pay to have your bounty removed.  Also the fastest thing my be to just get killed by the guards and save your gold.

As you get higher in rank you will even be able to escape the guards with practice.   Also you might want to research builds on YouTube as the bosses use to be a lot a harder and they made a lot of them easier to take down.  I don't craft and just use gear from drops but have noticed quests giving out some decent gear lately.  Lastly, some classes are just easier to level than others.  For example classes with pets tend to be easy because the pets can give you a chance to get away if you get into a situation that's over your head, like Sorcerer and Warden.  Once you get use to the class you can easily play without the pets if you wish.    Nightblade tends to be the most squishy and has to be played with extra care.  Don't be afraid to try different builds and weapons on bosses until you find what works, which a lot of times may not be the weapons you like using the most.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

Yep, if you catch heat you can just log off for awhile as the heat timer goes down even when logged out or on another character.
    That's one thing they really need to fix.

Bounty/Heat should NOT reduce while that character is offline.

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited July 2017
    I'll usually do all factions starting islands first, then their cities because most quests are fairly close together in the cities.  While doing cities I join mages guild for persuasion skill and fighters guild for intimidation skill, also for their quest lines.  I'll also do Thieves Guild and Black Hand DLC as a change of pace along the way.  By the time you get to the cities your personal quest line pops up and you can work on that also.  Also just exploring gives decent xp so just spending time searching new areas for shrine locations to use later on can be good as well as dungeons and dolmans.

One thing I like about this game if you get board of something there's lots more to do instead for awhile.   If you like Vampires and Werewolves you can go to Bangkorai and hunt for one of those skill lines so you can level them early.
    [Deleted User]

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey