Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Exiled - Yeah, it's dead.

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
In case you were harboring some form of hope that The Exiled might pull through, you should look at these numbers.  A handful of players away from flat line.  The developers seemed to actually care about this one, too.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      http://steamcharts.com/app/332650

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    full loot and open PVP, i wonder what went wrong? :p
    MightyUncleanbartoni33ste2000[Deleted User]gearchin13[Deleted User]Dreadstoneofxev
  • TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    The game resets every month. Even if it was a sandbox PVE game (which there are no good sandbox PVE games, the pickings of a sandbox PVE game is...Ryzom...and...Ryzom...and lets see, another one is... Ryzom lol)...having a game reset every month, especially an online game, is stupid

I hate time limits in games. But even more than hating time limits, are forced resets where you lose ALL your progress.

So the exiles has sandbox PvP which is super niche and in a VERY overcrowded sandbox PvP market...it also has time limits...which most people actually hate time limits...but then! it has the 3rd most infamous thing people hate (especially in an online game)...resets where you lose all your progress and work you did for that entire month

So it has 3 of the most "popular" things the vast majority of people don't like

No wonder it failed lol

Its like those movies that are really good, but then is 100% ruined at the end of "it was just a dream"...instant downvote and no one likes those lol

GdemamiDreadstoneofxev

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited July 2017
    The game resets every month. Even if it was a sandbox PVE game (which there are no good sandbox PVE games, the pickings of a sandbox PVE game is...Ryzom...and...Ryzom...and lets see, another one is... Ryzom lol)...having a game reset every month, especially an online game, is stupid

I hate time limits in games. But even more than hating time limits, are forced resets where you lose ALL your progress.

So the exiles has sandbox PvP which is super niche and in a VERY overcrowded sandbox PvP market...it also has time limits...which most people actually hate time limits...but then! it has the 3rd most infamous thing people hate (especially in an online game)...resets where you lose all your progress and work you did for that entire month

So it has 3 of the most "popular" things the vast majority of people don't like

No wonder it failed lol

Its like those movies that are really good, but then is 100% ruined at the end of "it was just a dream"...instant downvote and no one likes those lol

...what a mole heap of silly terms and assumptions.
    TheScavengerKyleranOzmodan
    Phry said:
    You lose gold upon death in DOTA, same thing here.
    Kyleran
    edited July 2017
    Its right in their steam description of the game

"Game worlds last for up to one month."

That means every month you have to start 100% again. How stupid, that is making a VERY niche genre of MMOs (deathmatch full loot sandbox PvP MMOs, which are a dime a dozen as far as sandbox MMOs go) even vastly more niche. Most gamers don't want to start over and over and over non-stop. They want to progress and keep their characters or at least see actual progression.

And most MMO players actually prefer PVE (with no forced PvP), which is definitely lacking in sandbox MMOs.
    GdemamiDreadstoneofxev

That means every month you have to start 100% again. How stupid, that is making a VERY niche genre of MMOs even vastly more niche. Most gamers don't want to start over and over and over non-stop. They want to progress and keep their characters or at least see actual progression.
    You know what is even more stupid? Games that that reset after each match!

FFS, get a clue...
    KyleranConstantineMerusOzmodan
    Gdemami said:

That means every month you have to start 100% again. How stupid, that is making a VERY niche genre of MMOs even vastly more niche. Most gamers don't want to start over and over and over non-stop. They want to progress and keep their characters or at least see actual progression.

FFS, get a clue...
    This is classified as an MMO according to the MMORPG.com description. There isn't any popular or successful MMO that resets every month. The only one I can think of is A Tale in the Desert (and its VERY niche to begin with), but that isn't even the typical MMO at all and it resets after months, not every single month. And that one isn't actually PvP at all anyway and not even about combat. But for the genre it sits in, A Tale in the Desert at least has been around a while (which is only thing its actually "successful" in. But it isn't popular, and its pretty niche. But its probably not so much because it resets, just because its a niche MMO.

The typical MMO however does not wipe everyone every month. There isn't a single MMO that does that, except ATITD and that is never even barely talked about anywhere. That makes this game very niche, and unlikely to attract a big audience. Maybe that is the developers intent, is to fill in a niche...though sandbox deathmatch PvP games are pretty niche to begin with compared to the PVE themepark MMOs.
    GdemamiDreadstoneofxev

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    It resets every 20 days actually.
  • MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Yeah, you gotta find your niche.  But maybe going for a niche within a niche within a niche isn't the best business model...
    GdemamiOzmodan
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Gdemami said:

FFS, get a clue...
    This is classified as an MMO according to the MMORPG.com description. There isn't any popular or successful MMO that resets every month. The only one I can think of is A Tale in the Desert (and its VERY niche to begin with), but that isn't even the typical MMO at all and it resets after months, not every single month. ...
    ATITD resets when all it's tasks are completed, and I don't think that's ever happened in under 12 months at the very least (unless the game has been changed drastically in the last few years). The cycles are closer to 1.5 to 2 years for a reset.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited July 2017
    Gdemami said:

FFS, get a clue...
    This is classified as an MMO according to the MMORPG.com description. There isn't any popular or successful MMO that resets every month. The only one I can think of is A Tale in the Desert (and its VERY niche to begin with), but that isn't even the typical MMO at all and it resets after months, not every single month. And that one isn't actually PvP at all anyway and not even about combat. But for the genre it sits in, A Tale in the Desert at least has been around a while (which is only thing its actually "successful" in. But it isn't popular, and its pretty niche. But its probably not so much because it resets, just because its a niche MMO.

The typical MMO however does not wipe everyone every month. There isn't a single MMO that does that, except ATITD and that is never even barely talked about anywhere. That makes this game very niche, and unlikely to attract a big audience. Maybe that is the developers intent, is to fill in a niche...though sandbox deathmatch PvP games are pretty niche to begin with compared to the PVE themepark MMOs.
    On their website they make the mistake of labeling it as a MMORPG when it clearly is not.

Progression is a pillar of RPGs and MMORPGS and this game wipes every 20 days. It also advertises it has no messy grinding meaning it really has no progression outside of random loot collection.

Is there a market for match based play, surely but this title would likely do far better calling itself a survival game seeing as to how popular those are right now and it is much closer to that genre. (labels really are important)

Don't know what their server limits are, but if it can handle more than 100 to 200 players at a time it could be a major selling point.

GdemamiDreadstoneofxev

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Gdemami said:

FFS, get a clue...
    Be happy to sell you one as you clearly need it.
    Slapshot1188gearchin13Ozmodan

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    I'm going to be a little okay a lot happy that games that have full loot and open PvP are very,very unpopular. I say this because when action MMORPG started becoming a thing I thought it would pass and now all I see are these types of games. 

So in expressing a  totally selfish sentiment here I don't want games that give me less options for games to play to do well. 

In this case though I believe the problem is not the full loot open PvP it is the fact that they reset everything every 20 days. How can anyone get attached to their character or even feel invested in that time for an MMORPG this is a horrible way to design a game. I agree with others here who seem to think it is not one. 
    GdemamiKyleran

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited July 2017
    Gdemami said:

FFS, get a clue...
    I give clues for free!  Lemme try!  Here goes:

A game that doesn't reset thus appeals to the progression folk, and a game that resets really quickly (every match, basically) thus appeals to the fast paced lunch-box folk who don't like month long grinds.

Exiles, meanwhile from what I'm reading, falls into that uncanny valley range ("Uncanny valley" isn't cartoony enough to be a cartoon and isn't realistic enough to be human, and thus falls somewhere in between at which point it's just creepy) where it appeals neither to the long term progression folk (because it resets too quickly.  ...or at all) while also not appealing to the short term no-grind fast-paced folk (because a month to reset is a friggin' long time compared to a 10 minute PvP match)

By having month-long resets, it appeals only to the people who somehow like a forced month of progression and no more or no less than that no matter what.  And that's.... well, a niche of a niche (and a near microscopic one, apparently).
    KyleranOzmodanGdemami
  • ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    Tiamat64 said:
    Gdemami said:

FFS, get a clue...
    I give clues for free!  Lemme try!  Here goes:

A game that doesn't reset thus appeals to the progression folk, and a game that resets really quickly (every match, basically) thus appeals to the fast paced lunch-box folk who don't like month long grinds.

Exiles, meanwhile from what I'm reading, falls into that uncanny valley range ("Uncanny valley" isn't cartoony enough to be a cartoon and isn't realistic enough to be human, and thus falls somewhere in between at which point it's just creepy) where it appeals neither to the long term progression folk (because it resets too quickly.  ...or at all) while also not appealing to the short term no-grind fast-paced folk (because a month to reset is a friggin' long time compared to a 10 minute PvP match)

By having month-long resets, it appeals only to the people who somehow like a forced month of progression and no more or no less than that no matter what.  And that's.... well, a niche of a niche (and a near microscopic one, apparently).
    Isn't Conan Exiles doing the same thing? I remember at first it was their only type of official server. 

Or even Crowfall is doing this, but keeping some form of progression.

I'm not saying The Exiles is fun or not, I haven't played it. But you can't issue a verdict for this formula to be doomed forever by any logic. If a game does it right, and a game is actually fun, I bet it can have its own crowd, large enough to support it.
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
    edited July 2017
    Isn't Conan Exiles doing the same thing? I remember at first it was their only type of official server. 

I'm not saying The Exiles is fun or not, I haven't played it. But you can't issue a verdict for this formula to be doomed forever by any logic. If a game does it right, and a game is actually fun, I bet it can have its own crowd, large enough to support it.
    Just did a quick search on Conan Exiles.  Apparently 1 month is the default server setting but you can change it (for private servers, I assume) and the most popular settings for it that most people use are to set it to not reset at all.

Far as I could interpret from the 5 minutes of research reading forum posts about it after a google search, at least.

So yea, unless that's wrong, I'll keep my verdict.  1 month reset is a niche of a niche, and a microscopic one at that.
    Gdemami
    Tiamat64 said:

Just did a quick search on Conan Exiles.  Apparently 1 month is the default server setting but you can change it (for private servers, I assume) and the most popular settings for it that most people use are to set it to not reset at all.

Far as I could interpret from the 5 minutes of research reading forum posts about it after a google search, at least.

So yea, unless that's wrong, I'll keep my verdict.  1 month reset is a niche of a niche, and a microscopic one at that.
    You also managed to miss my point in less that 5 minutes! ;) Kidding <3

What I meant is, new titles are considering this model. So there's a possibility that one title comes through which is polished and really fun and manages to pull it off using this model. Hell freaking Travian has servers which would run for a month or so and they are extremely popular and people spent cash on them like there's no tomorrow. 

Even if you are right that people would either want an everlasting game, or an instant reset--which I don't believe is true--when an actual fun game uses this system, it can become more than a niche. Don't forget DOTA was a custom map for WC3, and a pretty niche group played it. Blizzard didn't take such genre seriously and Riot went to the moon with it. 

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Phry said:
    You mean it's not because it's a bad game in general?
    ConstantineMerus
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited July 2017

What I meant is, new titles are considering this model. So there's a possibility that one title comes through which is polished and really fun and manages to pull it off using this model. Hell freaking Travian has servers which would run for a month or so and they are extremely popular and people spent cash on them like there's no tomorrow. 

Even if you are right that people would either want an everlasting game, or an instant reset--which I don't believe is true--when an actual fun game uses this system, it can become more than a niche. Don't forget DOTA was a custom map for WC3, and a pretty niche group played it. Blizzard didn't take such genre seriously and Riot went to the moon with it. 
    I don't see what risk-taking or innovation has to do with whether or not something is niche.

Just because Conan Exiles was also trying it doesn't mean that it isn't niche.  It just means someone else is trying it, which is completely unrelated to whether or not something turns out to be niche.  The same goes for your league of legends example.  They tried something, and it turned out to not be niche.  That doesn't change whether it is niche or whether it is not niche.

More relevant to the argument is "when an actual fun game uses this system".  However, considering that Conan Exiles is the same exact game whether it's set to a monthly reset and whether it's set to permanent, yet so many players choose to use the permanent option instead, I'd wager to say that "even if Exiles was a fun game, it still would be niche with monthly resets, at least in comparison to if it was the exact same fun game but with permanence".  Because Conan Exiles with monthly resets is the exact same game as Conan Exiles with permanence, yet the majority chooses the latter.
    Gdemami
    Tiamat64 said:

I don't see what risk-taking or innovation has to do with whether or not something is niche.

Just because Conan Exiles was also trying it doesn't mean that it isn't niche.  It just means someone else is trying it, which is completely unrelated to whether or not something turns out to be niche.  The same goes for your league of legends example.  They tried something, and it turned out to not be niche.  That doesn't change whether it is niche or whether it is not niche.

More relevant to the argument is "when an actual fun game uses this system".  However, considering that Conan Exiles is the same exact game whether it's set to a monthly reset and whether it's set to permanent, yet so many players choose to use the permanent option instead, I'd wager to say that "even if Exiles was a fun game, it still would be niche with monthly resets, at least in comparison to if it was the exact same fun game but with permanence".  Because Conan Exiles with monthly resets is the exact same game as Conan Exiles with permanence, yet the majority chooses the latter.
    Interesting point, and I agree with you. But the thing is, Conan Exiles isn't designed around that mechanic. Also, I meant, when done right, any genre can be blown out of being niche. I bet if Blizzard decides to make a game revolving around this mechanic, it won't be niche anymore. 

The thing is, if you were (I dunno, maybe you are) playing video games for 35 years, you'd realize ALL genre and styles started as being niche, and with the right title, they stopped being one. I am referring to my memory here not actual research, so I can be wrong. 

Anyways, let's agree to disagree. :blush:

edited July 2017
    Interesting point, and I agree with you. But the thing is, Conan Exiles isn't designed around that mechanic. Also, I meant, when done right, any genre can be blown out of being niche. I bet if Blizzard decides to make a game revolving around this mechanic, it won't be niche anymore. 

The thing is, if you were (I dunno, maybe you are) playing video games for 35 years, you'd realize ALL genre and styles started as being niche, and with the right title, they stopped being one. I am referring to my memory here not actual research, so I can be wrong. 

Anyways, let's agree to disagree. :blush:
    Clarification.  Monthly resets aren't a genre.  At least, IMHO, since otherwise one could say that Conan Exiles changes genres with a simple flip of the switch, and that's just silly.

I feel that if the Exiled wants the prestige/renknown of being a new genre, it's going to need to do more than just add monthly resets to an existing genre. The MOBA genre might have been birthed off of a mod initially, but that mod was way more than just a flip of an option switch to existing gameplay.
    Gdemami