Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you aim to play Pantheon, why would that be?

DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
For me it's the simple idea of people not only being in a world, but actually running around looking for things to do. Since it likely won't have a questing focus, this could be an experience most haven't seen since at least SWG.. (outside of EMU play or indie games OFC).

The thing is though most indies are PVP focused. A PVE focus may actually feel rather fresh, as that hasn't really been utilized in such a way since before SWG; which arguably was more of an economy, as well as PVP game, one which was simply having an identity crisis within it's dev team). 

I'm not really hung up on progression I really don't care if I'm moving forward, backward or sideways. I just like adventuring/fighting with other people, win, lose or draw. Same goes for weapons of power and other gear, it's not where my interests are. So the contested content idea isn't that big of a deal to me. AS long as I have something to do with others. 

While I prefer PVP play, I almost always give PVE servers a shot as well. THe problem is on most, you have too many people hung up on the quest and dungeon game, with just a select few running around trying to make their own way. When folks have a set objective they tend to follow it and that's the end result.

I typically play with my wife in such situations. She's a quester though, so she likely won't like Pantheon.  WHile I can get her to follow me on my exploration, she needs that storyline stuff to keep her interested. She's a big reader though so that's just her thing. Every form of entertainment is about the story for her. 

This might actually be the first game in quite a while where lots of people are doing what I typically do. 

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

MrMelGibsonAmathelaseritThunder073

Comments

• MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    I'd like to see what Pantheon evolves from the yesteryear mmos.  Will it just be a rehash of old ideas with improved visuals? Or will it build upon the foundation of EQ1-EQ2 and also bring something new to the table.  Either way, if it launches I will most likely give it a shot.  I'm just hoping Brad has a few cards still hidden that will surprise us.
    DistopiaKiori001
  • Kayo83Kayo83 Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Im not sure what to expect. To be honest I hated FFXI, didnt play CoH for long... but I did like games like Vanguard and LotRO, hell, vanilla WoW too. Never played EQ1 but I probably wouldnt have liked it much back then. Now I may be able to appreciate the game style more but definitely not just a prettier version of the same thing. Im waiting for Pantheon because I like the ideas theyve presented so far, their tenets and what not. Something has gone sour with MMOs over the last decade as theyve become streamlined and VR seems consciously be designing the game to fix that. Sure, many others kind of mention the same problem with MMOs but they also promise crazy new systems that dont really live up to the hype they create usually. Pantheon keeps it simple and plausible but still interesting.
    Kiori001
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    To log in to a place where all bitter old vets are gathered in one spot so I can tell them in /global that they all were wrong. The past doesn't magically return, not even with this game  B)

On a more serious note, I like what I've seen so far, think the lore is expertly written and greatly enjoyed Vanguard. Would already have pledged if the packages didn't look that unappealing. I really have no need for multiple copies of the game....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    MrMelGibsonDistopiad_20
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Getting sense of adventure back and actually playing with other people instead of qrinding quests single. Rush of adrenaline of high risk and and reward is great. I hope this game will be something like EQ in terms of difficulty and adventure.
    DistopiaMrMelGibsonPuffyWigglesKiori001
  • GavyneGavyne Member UncommonPosts: 116
    I personally enjoy grinding on mobs, both my g/f and I find it relaxing.  I'm ok with some quests on a rail but it just gets old fast.  I want to play Pantheon for the ability to grind on mobs, and get a dose of that nostalgia since they've already put many sounds and graphics familiar to ex-EQ players.  The prospect of a PvP server interests me as well.  I like the idea of an EQ on modern engine with some modern tweaks & flair.

What worries me is how they cross that line between tedious and challenging.  I support a group-focused game, but I'm not into forced grouping.  I like how they clearly stated there will be soloable content.  I support deaths that sting, but not overly aggressive death penalty.  I support time investment but nothing like EQ trilogy era time investment.  I enjoy open world dungeons and contested content, but I don't enjoy having worthy content perma camped by large guilds & 24/7 bot/macro armies.

Pantheon already stated they understand some old school mechanics/ideas were too harsh, outdated, and they have plans to address/balance all that.  Whether they can balance all that will make or break the game.  Question is, will they tilt to peer pressure from old EQ diehards?

I think Pantheon will be a good game if they stick to their visions (their visions of not making this game too hardcore & tedious).  Glad to see Brad not being too ambitious this time, he has learned from Vanguard, which is good.  The game should get a decent niche following if it performs technically sound, with enough content & carrot to keep people playing.
    Distopia

Played: EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-LOTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO-BDO
    Waiting For: CU & Vanilla WoW

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited June 2017
    That's the problem Gavyne. You and others say you like to go your own way sometimes, not just be led by a leash. Be an adventurer! But then you hit a wall. You get lost. The map is confusing. You don't know where you put that thing. Where is that Gregory whatsit? What skill do I train? What zone do I do? You start to get mad  and complain. And then the developers make "golden paths". You're right back on the rail and now you can't really go off it anymore because when it wasn't there you got frustrated. Try as you might to say you don't like rails, you're oddly on them a lot.

I believe frustration will always exist somwhere when the rails aren't there. As gamers we have to change and accept some of it, or we'll always be on rails. A big reason MMO's are the way they're is because we refuse to.
    DistopiaGladDog
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    To answer the OP, because since I'm playing an online game with many others... I'd like to actually need them to do things.
    Distopia
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Big vast world that feels like it, sense of community and social togetherness. Great lore and true old time mmo feeling that hasn't been seen since Vanguard. 

The journey and not instant gratification. 

Great mix of classes, races and starting cities. 

DistopialaseritKiori001

• GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,097
    I'm going to give this game a go, but I really hope it is not over the top difficult, where it takes over a year for a casual player to get a level cap.  I'm sure that is not a popular opinion, but I want to play a game that survives. 

The dev team can no longer do whatever they want, because they have investors that want to get their money back with interest.  For that, they need a bare minimum of 50,000 subs, and probably more like 100,000 if they want to advance the game.

Are there that many hardcore players out there?  I am sure that the aforementioned investors will consider this carefully, and will probably demand that they broaden the scope of the game.  Probably not a lot, but enough so they can corral a larger portion of the casual player base than they would with a true 'hardcore game.

In-between Easy mode and OMGWTFBBQ there is a lot of space, and I hope they hit the sweet spot in that range.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I will play new games like Pantheon looking for new mechanisms that advance the genre.  Then I'll move on.  I'll also be constrained by my budget, so my exploration might not be as long as I'd like.  I fully expect to not to see anything 'innovative' or 'new'; about the best I think I can hope for is a fresh take on some old ideas.  I do expect a lot of old mechanics maybe with a veneer of a thesaurus applied ('same thing, different name').
    Distopia

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    It feels old school. It reminds me of the classic MMORPG's - EQ, Vanguard, etc.  I loved those games.  It will be nice to have a modern graphics old school game!
    Kiori001

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    DMKano said:
    My guild always has the same goal - crush, kill destroy at the speed of locusts to end game.

Then go to forums and complain how there's nothing to do end game.

This usually happens within 3 weeks post launch.

Ok so I lied - this is not our goal at all, but it is what happens.
    Good luck with that XD! I doubt you'll reach max level in 3 weeks.
  • jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    @ OP

I'm really exited for an MMO where levelling requires you to group with other players, sick and tired of singleplayer MMO's in the levelling department. Also excited for the amount of time investment need to reach anything, be it max level, good prestigious gear, epics, raid content, etc.
    DistopiaAeliousKiori001
  • GavyneGavyne Member UncommonPosts: 116
    That's the problem Gavyne. You and others say you like to go your own way sometimes, not just be led by a leash. Be an adventurer! But then you hit a wall. You get lost. The map is confusing. You don't know where you put that thing. Where is that Gregory whatsit? What skill do I train? What zone do I do? You start to get mad  and complain. And then the developers make "golden paths". You're right back on the rail and now you can't really go off it anymore because when it wasn't there you got frustrated. Try as you might to say you don't like rails, you're oddly on them a lot.

I believe frustration will always exist somwhere when the rails aren't there. As gamers we have to change and accept some of it, or we'll always be on rails. A big reason MMO's are the way they're is because we refuse to.
    Eh I'm not one of those guys that complain when playing a sandbox game.  Do notice I've played EQ1 AND AC1 in the early days, and currently playing BDO, none of which are quest on a rail games.  So I think your comments may be for the general populace, but you're completely wrong about how I play my games.

I only complain when the game aims to be ridiculously tedious with excessive time investment requirement.  This is why I complained about BDO's lvl 57-61, their luck based endgame gearing enhancement system, and their excessive karma penalty system for pvp.  What was a good game from lvl 1-56 turned for the terrible once you hit later parts of the game.  

Like I said, Pantheon's own FAQ states they understand old school issues and aims to balance them out with today's needs.  Whether they can do that, I don't know.  
    Distopia[Deleted User]

Played: EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-LOTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO-BDO
    Waiting For: CU & Vanilla WoW

• paulythebpaulytheb Member UncommonPosts: 363
    I would prefer a very, very long curved skill based system over class/level. Zones kinda turns me off in 2017.

Other than that this game has some interesting concepts.
    Distopia

( Note to self-Don't say anything bad about Drizzt.)

An acerbic sense of humor is NOT allowed here.

• ZindaihasZindaihas Member UncommonPosts: 3,662
    paulytheb said:
    I would prefer a very, very long curved skill based system over class/level. Zones kinda turns me off in 2017.

That would, in my opinion, be one of the biggest improvements MMOs could make.  They really need to transition from level-based advancement to skill-based.  I don't hold it against EQ because it was essentially table-top Dungeons & Dragons converted into a computer game.  And AD&D was level advancement.  But devs of MMOs which followed should have recognized that acquiring skills is superior to acquiring levels.  However, the response always seems to be that it will never happen because leveling is a simpler model.

Anyway, for me, I plan to play Pantheon in the hopes that it will be a nice escape from reality and because there's nothing else in gaming that really interests me atm.  We'll see.

DistopiaKiori001

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    I want to play Everquest again with better graphics.
    DistopiaGladDogAelious[Deleted User]Gyva02Amathecheyane

• Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    Zindaihas said:
    paulytheb said:

That would, in my opinion, be one of the biggest improvements MMOs could make.  They really need to transition from level-based advancement to skill-based.  I don't hold it against EQ because it was essentially table-top Dungeons & Dragons converted into a computer game.  And AD&D was level advancement.  But devs of MMOs which followed should have recognized that acquiring skills is superior to acquiring levels.  However, the response always seems to be that it will never happen because leveling is a simpler model.

Anyway, for me, I plan to play Pantheon in the hopes that it will be a nice escape from reality and because there's nothing else in gaming that really interests me atm.  We'll see.

UO had a skill based system and it worked ok.  It would work best in a classless system where you just develop the skills you want to use. Personally I prefer the class and level based system.
    These games were better when people just enjoyed the journey and did not rush to max level but then you can change the game but not the people.
     In early EQ their was not this rush to max level for the end game which was good as not much of an end game existed then. This was part of what made early EQ so much fun, most people just played to have fun with friends.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Big vast world that feels like it, sense of community and social togetherness. Great lore and true old time mmo feeling that hasn't been seen since Vanguard. 

The journey and not instant gratification. 

Great mix of classes, races and starting cities. 

Pretty much this. I want to play an mmo that feels like a world, where there are places to explore and do things. I want it to be large and I don't want it to be a gather quest, run to quest area and run back and rinse and repeat game.
    DistopiaMrMelGibsonlaserit
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TwoTubesTwoTubes Member UncommonPosts: 328
    Zindaihas said:
    paulytheb said:

Have you looked into Saga of Lucimia? 

It seems like it will be similar to Pantheon in that it is trying to go back to a more old school style of gameplay...only it will be a skill based system.

It is currently in development...slightly further along than Pantheon.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Zindaihas said:
    paulytheb said:

Have you looked into Saga of Lucimia? 

It seems like it will be similar to Pantheon in that it is trying to go back to a more old school style of gameplay...only it will be a skill based system.

It is currently in development...slightly further along than Pantheon.
    Saga of Lucimia is further along in development than Pantheon? I don't think that is correct at all. 
    --------------------------------------------
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited July 2017
    You can have zones without linear designs,meaning several levels of mobs and more than a simple reason to kill mobs.The game SHOULD be a role playing game with all levels being as meaningful as the last because if it becomes just another race to end game,i will not be the least interested in this game.
    Pantheon has the ability to easily one up other lazy design mmorpg's and i hope they pull it off.
    I do not like the sound of no kiting,it just needs to be done right and imo EQ1 and EQ2 and VG never once improved the combat structure so the player feels in control,a problem most games have.You can have kiting via long timers and limiting only some abilities/spells to movement while others need channeling and to be still.Pretty simple as i have long stated it takes effort to make a well designed combat system.You can give the player the feeling of being OP while still maintaining a challenging game.

I always felt like i was just spamming icons on the hotbar,i don't like that feeling,i want choice and thinking combat,so yeah i guess slower combat if it must be said.I don't want to see shoestring aggro,or every mob is on proximity aggro nor do i want through the walls aggro or 12 mobs all attacking the tank at once which is unrealistic to think the tank could withstand that type of attack.
    So this team needs ot improve all systems and structure and forget using EQ1 as a selling gimmick,similar to that other game using DAOC as it's gimmick.if this team follows all gaming ,they could easily learn enough to create the best systems of any game,if they just want to low budget,easy template the game the way the EQ franchise did it will be just a boring race to end levels only intrigued by a fresh face and nothing more.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    DMKano said:
    kitarad said:
    I want to play Everquest again with better graphics.
    Pantheon is not EQ1 with better graphics.

If thats all they were aspiring for - the game would be nearly finished already.

Pantheon is inspired and has a lot of gameplay elements from EQ1 - but from what they've outlined, no kiting, much harder mobs - way more group focused - it's a pretty different game when it comes to gameplay.
    They did not say no kiting.  They said some mobs would have anti-kiting mechanics.  Which sounds exactly like current EQ1.  And they also said that "if you login and your friends arent on you will always find something you can do solo".
    Uproardcutbi001
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i'm not waiting for this game, but if i were it would be in hopes of it not being another generic grinder.

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    I won't say because I like to inhabit a virtual world because that's Kyleran's. So let's ask Thesaurus for help: Yours truly enjoys towards dwell one simulated biosphere. 
    [Deleted User]DistopiaBeezerbeezlaserit
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung