Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCSoft Seeks to Crowdfund NA Regional Championship Pool - Blade & Soul - MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

imageNCSoft Seeks to Crowdfund NA Regional Championship Pool - Blade & Soul - MMORPG.com

Blade & Soul News - NCSoft is looking for Blade & Soul fans and esports fanatics to help crowdfund the North American Regional championship. The goal is to raise $400,000 through the sale of a pair of packs for Blade & Soul.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• exile01exile01 Member RarePosts: 1,089
    greedy fucktards, so we have to pay that they can promote their bullshit for free? these companys nowdays. They saw the greed on ICOs, now they bring it to the games too. Welcome to cryptocurrencys.
    SBFordXingbairongBlaze_RockerNepheth
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,012
    It just seems tacky.
    [Deleted User]KyleranlaseritBlaze_RockerwingoodPhry
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • LeGrosGamerLeGrosGamer Member UncommonPosts: 223
    lol, when a company like NCSoft is asking for crowdfunding, it's a major red flag. And it's not like NCSoft has been relevant for the past decade and a half, so who cares? Just goes to show how poorly they're doing with their cash shops outside of Asia or they would be funding this out of their own pockets via people spending on their cash shops, but cash shops sales are low so there's the plea for crowdfunding, remind me again how F2P is better than P2P? Gotta love those F2P companies using cash shop money from players to build bitcoin farms for their own personal greed, but hey, keep supporting your "favorite" F2P title, the Devs really don't give a rats rear about you. And don't act surprise, it's a known fact for quite some time now.
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    Sovrath said:
    It just seems tacky.
    Is it tacky when Valve does it for DOTA 2? Or Hi-Rez for SMITE?

Not taking one side or the other but it's not like it's the first company to do something like this.
    CrazKanukRawynlaseritwingoodIwayloNepheth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    I don't agree it's tacky. I don't know it will be successful either. However, they are putting 100% of the amount into a pool for the tournament, so I don't think that's greed, really. It is self-serving, but so is every other type of crowdfunding out there, really.
    SBFordIwaylo

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498

SBFord said:

Sovrath said:

It just seems tacky.

Is it tacky when Valve does it for DOTA 2? Or Hi-Rez for SMITE?.

ABSOLUTELY.
    alkarionlogKyleranBlaze_RockerwingoodPhry
    SBFord said:
    Sovrath said:
    It just seems tacky.

Not taking one side or the other but it's not like it's the first company to do something like this.
    I didn't know those games did it so "yes, yes it is".
    SBFordalkarionlogKyleranBlaze_RockerwingoodPhry

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• KabulozoKabulozo Member RarePosts: 932
    edited June 2017
    If you want a competitive and fair instanced pvp, go to CS, lol, Dota, a fighting game, etc. Any sh1t made for this purpose because instanced pvp in MMOs suck.

NCSOft is already making their MOBA no need to make MMOs for intanced-competitive pvp turnaments.
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    SBFord said:
    Sovrath said:
    It just seems tacky.

yes
    Kyleran
  • SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited June 2017
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    SBFord said:
    Sovrath said:
    It just seems tacky.

I didn't know either. It's cool that Suzie pointed it out. @SBFord what's your opinion on the practice in general?
    Honestly, I'm torn -- on the one hand, these companies certainly make enough to fund their own prize pools. On the other, if people are willing to buy packages of in-game items to fund it, no harm, no foul. 

Crowdfunding is a way of life, seemingly in every aspect of our life. I look at it this way: I don't play B&S so there's nothing there for me. If this was WoW Arena PvP? Might be a different story.
    [Deleted User]wingoodPhryNepheth

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    Sure why not? We already pay people to try and make games, why not have us pay for the tournaments too? Hey, maybe next time you guys can bring out a "send our whole team to disney land" lotto box too so we can pay for your vacations as well.
    XingbairongStjerneoddAlomarBlaze_Rockerwingood
  • Jonnyp2Jonnyp2 Member UncommonPosts: 243

Kabulozo said:

If you want a competitive and fair instanced pvp, go to CS, lol, Dota, a fighting game, etc. Any sh1t made for this purpose because instanced pvp in MMOs suck.

NCSOft is already making their MOBA no need to make MMOs for intanced-competitive pvp turnaments.

I don't get this mentality. Mmorpg arenas play completely different than any of those games, they have nothing in common aside from competition against other human players.
    Nepheth
    edited June 2017
    SBFord said:
    Torval said:
    Sovrath said:
    SBFord said:
    Sovrath said:
    It just seems tacky.

I didn't know either. It's cool that Suzie pointed it out. @SBFord what's your opinion on the practice in general?
    Honestly, I'm torn -- on the one hand, these companies certainly make enough to fund their own prize pools. On the other, if people are willing to buy packages of in-game items to fund it, no harm, no foul. 

Crowdfunding is a way of life, seemingly in every aspect of our life. I look at it this way: I don't play B&S so there's nothing there for me. If this was WoW Arena PvP? Might be a different story.
    That's true and if people want to fund it then more power to them, I certainly don't think ill of them. However, I'm more familiar with "crowdfunding" or "patronage" from the point of view that organizations do it because they "don't" have the money.

I suppose one way to do it is to just have (and maybe they do this?) an entry fee and the jackpot is just taken out of that.

Then again, if more money is needed over and above what contestants give then the company in charge of the event should front that. Unless of course they are non-profit or some such thing.

In any case, I still think it's tacky.
    Post edited by Sovrath on
    StjerneoddKyleran[Deleted User]laseritwingoodPhry

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Next:  EA launching CrowdFunding drive for Madden Football.

They start with the base game from this year and then let YOU help decide what they upgrade!

$1M Goal = New Announcers
    $5M Goal = Graphics Overhaul
    $10M Goal = Twitch Integration

StjerneoddIselinwingoodKumaponPhry

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Lol. This "crowdfunding" actually sounds worse than what it actually is.

When I first saw the thread my first thought was that they were launching something like a KS campaign to fund it but all they're doing is using part of of the proceeds from the same old fluffy costume sales as prize money for a tourney.

They could have easily said nothing, sold their crap as usual and then announced a $400 K price pool for a tourney.

I mean... when Zenimax gives away vacations or $1 mil in prizes as they have done, where do you think the money came from if not the ESO  crowd funding it?

The only tacky part here is them connecting the dots so explicitly as a questionable PR strategy.
    KyleranSlapshot1188[Deleted User]SovrathBlaze_RockerNepheth
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited June 2017

Iselin said:

When I first saw the thread my first thought was that they were launching something like a KS campaign to fund it but all they're doing is using part of of the proceeds from the same old fluffy costume sales as prize money for a tourney.

They could have easily said nothing, sold their crap as usual and then announced a $400 K price pool for a tourney.

I mean... when Zenimax gives away vacations or $1 mil in prizes as they have done, where do you think the money came from if not the ESO  crowd funding it?

The only tacky part here is them connecting the dots so explicitly as a questionable PR strategy.

Great observation, my initial disgust came from believing a KSer was being launched.

Reality is authors at this website are now misusing the term crowdfunding which isn't surprising considering their previous efforts to redefine commonly understood words.
    SovrathNepheth

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    edited June 2017
    I have to admit to the same thing.   Poor choice of words.(Not sure if that was the word the company used so it could be their own wording)

SovrathPhryNepheth

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

I have to admit to the same thing.   Poor choice of words.(Not sure if that was the word the company used so it could be their own wording)

Well in fairness, their landing page walks and talks like a typical crowdfunding page complete with "% funded" tracker. I don't think this site stretched much at all calling it that.

If anyone is getting cute with terminology is the NCSOFT PR department.
    [Deleted User]wingoodPhry
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Torval said:
    Iselin said:

The $1M ESO approach is like how NCSoft did it with Guild Wars when they used to have tournaments. That money came out of box sales for sure, but also the PvP skill unlock packs every wannabe bought in hopes of becoming the next big e-sport king.

Anyway, that's an interesting perspective. Lines are getting blurred. Where does crowdfunding end and regular business transactions begin?
    Indeed. It's something I have wondered out loud in these forums many times when KS "donors" emphasize that it's just a "donation" when in fact the whole crowdfunding concept is based on selling at least tiered privilege if not outright pre-selling future in-game items, abilities, etc.

IMO, they are all business transactions and sellers are forever coming up with new techniques and promotions to make them seem like something more than what they really are. And many buyers unwittingly or not, play along with the new terminology.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    When they remove game Guard sure until then no thanks wouldn't waste a dollar.
    Slapshot1188IwayloPhryNepheth
    Iselin said:

Agreed, and good catch. So "not really tacky but poor marketing choices".

Heck, they could have just said that they were adding a percentage of their sales from a specific time period to the prize. That would have sounded more magnanimous.
    [Deleted User]

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    The saying "a sucker is born every day" grossly miscalculated the alarming rate that suckers are being born.

The world we live in, people of average+ intelligence & reason are vastly outnumbered by low brow cult members.

This silly marketing ploy is proof that companies think people are dumb enough to buy in regardless of the logic, and the dummies who do buy in justify the approach.

The funny thing is if a legit tournament organizer who cared about whatever competitive scene B&S has, put their hand out for the money people would probably spit in it.
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,838
    SBFord said:
    Sovrath said:
    It just seems tacky.
    Incredibly.
  • PemminPemmin Member UncommonPosts: 623
    Kyleran said:

Iselin said:

Great observation, my initial disgust came from believing a KSer was being launched.

Reality is authors at this website are now misusing the term crowdfunding which isn't surprising considering their previous efforts to redefine commonly understood words.
    same thing here.....lets stop focusing on NCsoft for a sec and lambaste the mmorpg staff instead for obvious clickbait
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    edited June 2017
    That's...marketing. Is that hard to see?! In this way they will fund the tournament and present it to a large audience along with the big bucks of $400.000.

The ones who believes otherwise , try making a difference between marketing and greedy.

Plus, what others said . The title in this article is VERY missleading and is a clickbait one .
    NephethgamestopperzIwaylo

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!