Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Summer Web Sale and some news that just went down

Comments

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Its probably what 5 years before this game even considers launch? odds are it probably wont make it.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Nanfoodle said:
    Distopia said:
    So they introduced items and perks that were supposedly "exclusive" rewards from the kickstarter pledges, into a summer sale available for everyone? Am I getting this right, if not can someone explain what happened.
    It seems they are offering lifetime subs when it was supposed to be exclusive. Their rebuttal is that charging a lesser fee for the KS lifetime threshold is still an exclusive offer. Since they're charging more for it now.

Either way people are paying an arm and a leg to play a game forever, they may never get to play ever...
    On the KS pledge page, the life time sub never said exclusive. Items were but not the life time sub. 

Right on your picture it says:
    Kickstarter Exclusive - Lifetime subscription to Ashes of Creation!!

That's pretty unambiguous and trying to state it means anything other than that is just silly.

Asm0deus

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Nanfoodle said:
    Distopia said:
    So they introduced items and perks that were supposedly "exclusive" rewards from the kickstarter pledges, into a summer sale available for everyone? Am I getting this right, if not can someone explain what happened.
    It seems they are offering lifetime subs when it was supposed to be exclusive. Their rebuttal is that charging a lesser fee for the KS lifetime threshold is still an exclusive offer. Since they're charging more for it now.

Either way people are paying an arm and a leg to play a game forever, they may never get to play ever...
    On the KS pledge page, the life time sub never said exclusive. Items were but not the life time sub. 

That's pretty unambiguous and trying to state it means anything other than that is just silly.

Funny on the official forums yesterday someone post a capture of the pledge and it showed it was not exclusive. I could not find the post so I took a capture without reading it. The one posted on the official forums must have been photo shopped. Hmmmm
    MadFrenchieRealizer
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Distopia said:

Funny on the official forums yesterday someone post a capture of the pledge and it showed it was not exclusive. I could not find the post so I took a capture without reading it. The one posted on the official forums must have been photo shopped. Hmmmm
    I'm sure there's a lot of photoshopping and revising of history going on over there.  just like the whole bit with the Kickstarter "miscommunication" where they broke the rules and posted bits and pieces of Emails.  It's a pattern and it's going to continue IMHO.

[Deleted User]KyleranMrMelGibsonRealizer

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Distopia said:

I'm sure there's a lot of photoshopping and revising of history going on over there.  just like the whole bit with the Kickstarter "miscommunication" where they broke the rules and posted bits and pieces of Emails.  It's a pattern and it's going to continue IMHO.

I would not paint IS as being shady. Its a fan who photo shopped the image. I think they are being fair extending the crowed funding for a month so everyone can join in that could not use a credit card on the KS forum. 
  • SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Go to the campaign tab and scroll down to the rewards picture with all the images of the rewards, there the backer reward under Braver of worlds doesn't say that lifetime sub is a Kickstarter exclusive. Seriously guys don't you read stuff before backing? 

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Nanfoodle said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Distopia said:

Question, what if he had said Summer Exclusive 100 year subscription!!!? Lol. It's effectively the same, right? Shit, even a 10 year subscription would probably be more than you'd ever need. So they could do 100, 99, 98.... 10 so like 91 more exclusives lol. 

I mean, in the grand scheme of things, if we're talking about the exclusive lifetime subscription, there are probably (well 91) other things they could say which would be effectively the same and mean the exact same thing. 

Honestly, I'd be more concentrated on the items than anything else. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

Searias said:
    Go to the campaign tab and scroll down to the rewards picture with all the images of the rewards, there the backer reward under Braver of worlds doesn't say that lifetime sub is a Kickstarter exclusive. Seriously guys don't you read stuff before backing? 
    You mean here? 

• SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    Nanfoodle said:
    Searias said:
    You mean here? 

Yup

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

Nyctelios said:
    I don't think the term miscommunication applies when it is intentional.

So many developers and publishers go back on their word or twist words to bail on their fans later that big part of mainstream market became numb to it - and just accept it as a standard.

They knew (and know) what they are doing: All the public statements are nothing but lies to damage control, posing as victims or saying the others that took it wrong.
    Go back to my OP, thats not the case at all. Steve has been very open and honest. 
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]
  • HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    Nanfoodle said:
    Distopia said:

Do you have a reading comprehension problem?
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    KS backer angst. It'll take a lot of energy to keep feeling pissed for 3 or 4 years. Yet another reason why I never pledge.

I rather wait and get pissed off when the game launches if there's reason to be pissed then. I just saved myself 4 years of fretting... profit! :)
    MadFrenchieMrMelGibsonConstantineMeruslaserit[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Torval said:
    Yep, it says exclusive and I'm sure they didn't intend to extend crowdfunding past the KS. 
    Seriously?   Do you honestly believe that?  They just magically set up and launched a fully functional store a mere 3 weeks after the Kickstarter ended?

And do you REALLY think this "Summer Sale" is the end of crowdfunding? Come on, you've been around long enough.   There will be another "sale" and another.. all the way until launch and then on from there.

They may take a pause for a month or two to count their money and develop some more pixels, but I guarantee crowdfunding is going to continue ad nauseum.

Realizer

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Torval said:
    Yep, it says exclusive and I'm sure they didn't intend to extend crowdfunding past the KS. 
    Seriously?   Do you honestly believe that?  They just magically set up and launched a fully functional store a mere 3 weeks after the Kickstarter ended?

And do you REALLY think this "Summer Sale" is the end of crowdfunding? Come on, you've been around long enough.   There will be another "sale" and another.. all the way until launch and then on from there.

They may take a pause for a month or two to count their money and develop some more pixels, but I guarantee crowdfunding is going to continue ad nauseum.

And if they ship, does that mean that the end justifies the means? Difficult to say. If SC ships and this ends up shipping, this pushing of pixels could become the de facto standard for executing funding for games which require larger budgets. 

You're probably right, it's probably not likely to be their last funding. It's also quite possible they'll take on some private funding. It's effectively what every other project of this nature has done in recent memory. Even if they said they wouldn't do anything else, I don't know why people would expect any different. Remember, this guy doesn't know what he's doing because he's never developed a game :) 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited June 2017
    CrazKanuk said:
    And if they ship, does that mean that the end justifies the means? 
    Question should be modified to be "if they ship AND if the game is good".

Shipping by itself without the latter won't really accomplish much after all.  Just look at say, Shroud of the Avatar for proof of that.
    CrazKanukDistopiaMrMelGibsonlaserit
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    When you lay with the devil, you get burned. In this case the devil being business.....

In the pursuit of money and success people are nothing but a stepping stone. People need to come to grips with that. Exclusives are rarely truly exclusive, in the entertainment industry especially. How do you think people who spend hundreds on convention exclusives (including price of entry/hotel stays etc..) feel when they see it on Thinkgeek for pennies to the dollar of what they paid? 

The only decision you can trust these folks to make is the one that leads to more funds, that's the bottom line. 
    NanfoodleMrMelGibson[Deleted User]

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• PonziniPonzini Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Distopia said:
    When you lay with the devil, you get burned. In this case the devil being business.....

In the pursuit of money and success people are nothing but a stepping stone. People need to come to grips with that. Exclusives are rarely truly exclusive, in the entertainment industry especially. How do you think people who spend hundreds on convention exclusives (including price of entry/hotel stays etc..) feel when they see it on Thinkgeek for pennies to the dollar of what they paid? 

The only decision you can trust these folks to make is the one that leads to more funds, that's the bottom line. 
    Man you guys are so dramatic. This was an extension of the kickstarter for 1 month for people who couldn't take part in the regular kickstarter campaign. How shit would it be to not include the same rewards everyone else got? Not everything has to be a scandal, my dudes. 
    Scarah
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Yet another over-promise, under-deliver KS campaign.  
    Iselin
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I like the part with that Steven guy.

Sort of says,oh thanks for being a backer but we really don't care about you after we get your money,we move on to new fish to lure in.It will always be like this in scam operations,there will be some new gimmick to lure in more money down the road hanging backers out to dry.
    In reality,it says your NOT a backer,just some random person giving another random person some free money.

The real scam is in the wording >>>Lifetime subscription.This game will not survive but a few months as a sub game,it will be a for certain cash shop game meaning that claim of lifetime sub is meaningless.

Epic mount....so you will run around the game showing yourself as having bought your item and not earned it in game,no difference than just rmt gaming,which devs USED to ban people for,now it has become common place for luring in money.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Torval said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Ponzini said:
    Distopia said:

Man you guys are so dramatic. This was an extension of the kickstarter for 1 month for people who couldn't take part in the regular kickstarter campaign. How shit would it be to not include the same rewards everyone else got? Not everything has to be a scandal, my dudes. 
    Took you long enough
    Not quicker than you, slappy, and the happy crew. Think about that from your glass house.
    Me?  All I did was point out that it only took 3 weeks for them to break the "Kickstarter Exclusive" statement.  Don't worry... lots more to come.

For the record yeah I agree that any company would be crazy to turn away revenue... that doesn't excuse blatant lying though.  If something is a Kickstarter Exclusive that means if goes away after Kickstarter.  There is no wiggle room.   If you want to sell it after Kickstarter don't call it an exclusive.  It's a pretty simple concept.

Say what you mean and do what you say.  Simple stuff.

Kyleran[Deleted User]Talonsin

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Torval said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Ponzini said:
    Distopia said:

Took you long enough
    Not quicker than you, slappy, and the happy crew. Think about that from your glass house.
    Me?  All I did was point out that it only took 3 weeks for them to break the "Kickstarter Exclusive" statement.  Don't worry... lots more to come.

For the record yeah I agree that any company would be crazy to turn away revenue... that doesn't excuse blatant lying though.  If something is a Kickstarter Exclusive that means if goes away after Kickstarter.  There is no wiggle room.   If you want to sell it after Kickstarter don't call it an exclusive.  It's a pretty simple concept.

Say what you mean and do what you say.  Simple stuff.

Agree they need to keep selling stuff, I'd recommend space ships, people seem to love buying them.  ;)
    Octagon7711d_20[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    None of them deliver until they deliver.

You guys do know you're talking about a game that may or may not be launched in 2022... right?
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    I saw an interesting quote on Massively a while back concerning modern MMO development.  It was something along the lines of, "When there is more effort and innovation put into how to monetize a game than into the gameplay itself, this is what you get."
    d_20KyleranSlapshot1188[Deleted User]
    Iselin said:
    None of them deliver until they deliver.

You guys do know you're talking about a game that may or may not be launched in 2022... right?
    I know that.  You know that. But why then does the Summer Sale" still show a delivery date of December 2018?

Again, Say what you mean and do what you say.

• MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,325
    I didn't pledge to be a special snowflake, I pledge because I think this project are very interesting.