Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Summer Web Sale and some news that just went down

NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
The store is HERE if you wanna join the community or back the game, click HERE

Some people are upset about the addition of the store and Steve just came to discord to calm the masses, here is what was said.

Comments

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    So looking at kickstarter and the summer sale exclusive stuff this team will have to bring a huge amount of stuff just because of promises they made. This is a summary of what they promised to backers as tier rewards and stretch goals:
    • 8 unique skins
    • 12 unique mounts
    • 8 unique pets
    • 6 unique costumes
    • bunch of other unique things
    • have to work together with backers to create 5 world fortresses
    • have to work together with players to create 21 monsters and those monsters as pets
    • have to make 58 players into statues
    • tavern game, parlor game
    • heavily expanded underwater world
    • thieves guild, scholar academy, traders company
    • huge financial systems
    • +the actual game

psiic
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    Hooboy.  The monster creation one is a lot harder than you'd think, too (and I suspect than THEY think).  Path of Exile actually put its monster and unique creation program on hold despite the thousands of dollars players were paying for them because it was such a pain in the ass to do and took so long.
    KyleranShaighrpmcmurphy
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Slip, slip sliding away ...
    rpmcmurphyPottedPlant22MrMelGibson[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• donger56donger56 Member RarePosts: 443
    It took them all of two weeks to back out of what they promised. That is quick even for a kickstarter MMORPG. Kickstarter exclusive, until next month when we do our own web store kickstarter. Now the excuse is that what they meant by exclusive was, exclusive price like with the lifetime sub. But wait there's more! For those that already kickstarted, they get to pay more money to get the new rewards! Great job at pushing back on the stereotype that crowdfunding is all about cash grabbing and not game development. The excuse for all of this is that a few people couldn't get into the kickstarter because of payment type issues. I guess we will see how many new pledges they get with this second "exclusive" offer. 
    Braindome
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited June 2017
    Wonder if this is coordinated with Steam discounts?

And the number one rule of alpha, everything is subject to change during development.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403
    550$ for a lifetime sub...lolz
    rpmcmurphyMrMelGibsonBraindome

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

Asm0deus said:
    550$ for a lifetime sub...lolz
    You had your chance to get in at around $400 or so I think.
    Asm0deusCopperfieldMrMelGibsonBraindome

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Kyleran said:
    Slip, slip sliding away ...
    Sometimes you just have to sit back and watch the plane try to takeoff on a short runway.  You warned the folks, but they get to make their own decisions.
    LeFantomeSpottyGekkoKyleran[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• jpedrote52jpedrote52 Member UncommonPosts: 112
    So they introduced items and perks that were supposedly "exclusive" rewards from the kickstarter pledges, into a summer sale available for everyone? Am I getting this right, if not can someone explain what happened.
  • WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    After the past few kickstarters I've backed, can't say I'm surprised.

It has become common for KickStarter exclusive rewards to be a gimmic to get you to pledge early, but after KS is over they're  still offered to everyone who "couldn't" pledge during the KS.

Abuse of the system is just going to continue to make consumers more and more skeptical. 
    --------------------------------------------
    So they introduced items and perks that were supposedly "exclusive" rewards from the kickstarter pledges, into a summer sale available for everyone? Am I getting this right, if not can someone explain what happened.
    Pretty much.. they changed the pricing on some items and tweaked others a bit I guess, but for example the $400 package says this:
    Kickstarter Exclusive - Lifetime subscription to Ashes of Creation!! 

It clearly says the Lifetime sub is a Kickstarter Exclusive...  but now they sell it in their shop.

Nobody should be surprised at shenanigans like this.  Folks were well warned but stuck their fingers in their ears and stuck out their tongues.   Don't worry, this is just a few weeks after Kickstarter.  I don't need a crystal ball to predict how this ends.

jpedrote52Octagon7711[Deleted User]

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    edited June 2017
    It seems they are offering lifetime subs when it was supposed to be exclusive. Their rebuttal is that charging a lesser fee for the KS lifetime threshold is still an exclusive offer. Since they're charging more for it now.

Either way people are paying an arm and a leg to play a game forever, they may never get to play ever...
    LeFantomejpedrote52MadFrenchieKyleranMrMelGibson[Deleted User]

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Distopia said:
    It seems they are offering lifetime subs when it was supposed to be exclusive. Their rebuttal is that charging a lesser fee for the KS lifetime threshold is still an exclusive offer. Since they're charging more for it now.

Either way people are paying an arm and a leg to play a game forever, they may never get to play ever...

It's alright, Steven got the money already...
    Slapshot1188rpmcmurphy[Deleted User]

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited June 2017
    This has become too confusing and somewhat sketchy for me. All these games these days trying to get creative with funding, rewards and cash shops is getting old. In the olden days you just bought a game when it came out, you liked or you didn't, and they didn't try and sell you stuff to make the game feel complete other than an expansion; which you didn't have to buy for the enjoyment of the base game.
    Post edited by Tiller on
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Tiller said:
    This has become too confusing and somewhat stretchy for me. All these games these days trying to get creative with funding, rewards and cash shops is getting old. In the olden days you just bought a game when it came out, you liked or you didn't, and they didn't try and sell you stuff to make the game feel complete other than an expansion; which you didn't have to buy for the enjoyment of the base game.
    Monetization stategy is probably the greatest area of innovation in the past 10 years in this genre.

Gameplay, not so much.
    RealizerMrMelGibsonDistopia[Deleted User]laseritLokero

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    I don't get how companies can make such rookie mistakes.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they did mean the kickstarter things would have exclusive prices (rewarding your early backers is quite common) but why word it in a way that could be construed to mean something else entirely, that's just amateur.
    Gdemami
  • SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    This wasn't a mistake. This was a calculated move to get more money.
    KyleranDakeruSlapshot1188Realizer[Deleted User]

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• RPGMASTERGAMERRPGMASTERGAMER Member UncommonPosts: 516
    a fool get soon parted with his money, they are taking your money

maybe no game will ever releases, but they will get enough money to not feel to bad about it.

each time i watch these kickstarter games who never releases and the fool who fail for them... im kinda sad... that like abusing someone not realy smart, you promise him what he want since many many many years and you just get his money...

you keep the game in early acess, sell more stuft, promise it not done yet... then just never realy release the games, you have make crazy high money numbers.
    Gdemami
    Sephiroso said:
    This wasn't a mistake. This was a calculated move to get more money.
    Money they say they don't really need as the core game, estimated to have a $30M budget already has a funding plan.

Steven is an accomplished MLM marketer and gamer well familiar with crowd funding mechanics and word smithing.

He knew what he was doing during the KSer campaign when he "bent" their rules and this clarification will be one of many in the coming years.

"I know we said this, but we really meant that."

Will all be followed by good natured back slapping from the fans while detractors will rage about the injustice of it all.
    Slapshot1188GdemamiRealizerjpedrote52Distopia[Deleted User]

• MrkuikenMrkuiken Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Well I guess they see it as a second Kickstarter for the people that could not pledge, like my self I got only PayPal and I tried to pledge to AOC but it was to big of a hustle for me.

But like some say maybe it was a calculated move to get more money, since if I really wanted to pledge I could have got a pay2D card from Visa or a Pay2d Virtual card.

So instead of having a nother 30days Kickstarter they could have posted more information on how you could have paid on the Kickstarter.
    Or they could have run the 30 days of summer-sale at the same time as kickstater just for people that had no credit card.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    I think if you're a fan of AoC, you should double or even triple down on your donation. Buy a couple more packages. I even recommend going as far as taking out a second mortgage to really help this team produce the game of your dreams. Don't let these haters stop you or doubt your support, you're not using that money for anything better than the most awesome MMO ever. So do it. Just empty out your bank account and give it to them, they need it to make a game like you've never seen.
    DakeruKyleranSlapshot1188[Deleted User]Jacobin
    Mrkuiken said:
    Well I guess they see it as a second Kickstarter for the people that could not pledge, like my self I got only PayPal and I tried to pledge to AOC but it was to big of a hustle for me.

But like some say maybe it was a calculated move to get more money, since if I really wanted to pledge I could have got a pay2D card from Visa or a Pay2d Virtual card.

So instead of having a nother 30days Kickstarter they could have posted more information on how you could have paid on the Kickstarter.
    Or they could have run the 30 days of summer-sale at the same time as kickstater just for people that had no credit card.

If that were the case then things should NOT have been labeled as Kickstarter Exclusive should they?

The Lifetime Sub for example did not say it was a KS only price.  It CLEARLY said:
    Kickstarter Exclusive - Lifetime subscription to Ashes of Creation!! 

Now they have it listed again.. :
    Summer Exclusive - Lifetime subscription to Ashes of Creation!! 

Like I said, people were warned. This is literally just weeks after the KS ended.   We know how this story goes.  It's only beginning...

Mrkuiken[Deleted User]Realizer

Rusque said:
    I think if you're a fan of AoC, you should double or even triple down on your donation. Buy a couple more packages. I even recommend going as far as taking out a second mortgage to really help this team produce the game of your dreams. Don't let these haters stop you or doubt your support, you're not using that money for anything better than the most awesome MMO ever. So do it. Just empty out your bank account and give it to them, they need it to make a game like you've never seen.
    I agree, but please if you ARE going to do this please use my referral link :)

Kyleran[Deleted User]Realizer

• ConstantineMerusConstantineMerus Member EpicPosts: 3,338
    If I had pledged--I didn't, I don't back MMOs anymore until one of my many campaigns succeeds--I would've wanted the developers to pull any trick they know to raise more money for the following reasons:

1. More money means better chance of release and might affect the overall quality and timeline. 
    2. If I go down, I'm taking everyone with me. 

This can be interpreted as offensive or immoral, but hey, at least I am honest. :relaxed: 

I backed Mark Jacobs, he's an old school developer. I expected him to bask in his freedom and go on full-time hardcore on his development and creativity. 17 years later, I still can't play his game. If it was anyone else I was already playing his early-access and had bought a couple of DLCs as well. I got what I was expecting from him. 

I backed Chris Roberts. I expected an endless dramatic journey towards greatness. Again, I got what I was expecting from him. Nothing more, nothing less. 

You guys backed Steven Shariff. A marketman, a businessman. Now he's doing what's he's best at. Raising more money. Pat him on the back and pray if he has more plans to get to that $30m budget. Despite "plans" being in italics, I am not being sarcastic, but sincere. 
    Constantine, The Console Poster

• "One of the most difficult tasks men can perform, however much others may despise it, is the invention of good games and it cannot be done by men out of touch with their instinctive selves." - Carl Jung
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited June 2017
    Distopia said:

On the KS pledge page, the life time sub never said exclusive. Items were but not the life time sub. 

HashbrickKyleran[Deleted User]IselinRealizerTalonsin